Team-BHP - Travelling to Europe. Need advice
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Travelling to Europe. Need advice (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/56810-travelling-europe-need-advice-2.html)

V-16, we plan to do London and Paris with 2 7 year olds (they'll be 8 then) next summer. Document everything.

Hey V-16, some points which you may like to consider:

1. 4 days in Interlaken may be an overkill, unless you plan to shoot a movie song there :p - 2 days is good for boat trip to Thun, Jungfraugh trip etc. Try to pack in a 1-2 night stay at Grindelwald.

2. Drive through Luzerne - does it come on your way to Zurich? I am not sure. I know it comes on your way to Zurich by train, one of the more scenic train trips that I remember.

3. Car drop at a different country - In addition to extra fees, they also ask for address proof (crazy experience once for us some time back). Better try a train. Having said, a road trip is always fantastic in Europe with its amazing scenary (unlike the drab stretches in the US) & superb roads which gives you the flexibility to stop whenever/whrever you want (within limits).

4. Paris: 3 days is optimal including Versailles & Disneyland if planned adequately. Take a 3 day 5 zone(max zones) pass which covers the above sites. Plan for an early trip to Disneyland (be there by 9am - I guess that is the opening time) and you would need 1 full day. Verasailles should be 1/2 day if started early (like 7am) with limited time in the gardens there. antoher day & half should be good for the muesums & other standard places there.

5. Can't comment much on the shopping aspects. I guess you would be happy to avoid it too (hope your spouse doesnt read this line)

6. London stay - no comments. But look out for places which have larger rooms. I can only comment on youth hostels which I had made use of during our travels, which may not be your choice of stay for sure.

7. Plan your route well & keep your maps handy. Language can be a barrier in those tiny places along the swizz/german borders if you aare trying any routes given in travelbooks/logs (adventures). Gas stations should be a good bet though for any such queries (lame suggestion I guess)

8. Pack your snackbox well if you are a vegetarian & fussy about global food. No meat doesnt signify vegetarian always.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 1276773)
V-16, we plan to do London and Paris with 2 7 year olds (they'll be 8 then) next summer. Document everything.

You got it!!:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by null (Post 1277492)
Hey V-16, some points which you may like to consider:
1. 4 days in Interlaken may be an overkill, unless you plan to shoot a movie song there :p - 2 days is good for boat trip to Thun, Jungfraugh trip etc. Try to pack in a 1-2 night stay at Grindelwald.

Yup i thought that too. Now im going directly to ZUrich and taking a car from there. That way ill save time travelling as well as the bother of goin cross border.

I plan to do Jungfrauch and Titilis/Shilthorn- 2 days
Grundelwald will be a day trip picnic and will combine it with the Trummlebach falls - I day

That leaves me with 3/4 days to browze around.

I plan to leave for Zurich that evening and spend the night at a place near the Station as i catch the TGV to Paris ealy morning. Did not want to drive at dark, too early in a new place and get lost.

Quote:

2. Drive through Luzerne - does it come on your way to Zurich? I am not sure. I know it comes on your way to Zurich by train, one of the more scenic train trips that I remember.
I think it does. I have yet to do my home work on the routes.

Quote:

4. Paris: 3 days is optimal including Versailles & Disneyland if planned adequately. Take a 3 day 5 zone(max zones) pass which covers the above sites. Plan for an early trip to Disneyland (be there by 9am - I guess that is the opening time) and you would need 1 full day. Verasailles should be 1/2 day if started early (like 7am) with limited time in the gardens there. antoher day & half should be good for the muesums & other standard places there.
No Versailles for me. Rather the Louvre and spend a long day there. I did it last time and still havent got enough of the place.

NO Euro disney too as we did the Disney world on our last trip to the US recently. Id rather do the Asterix park.

Show the kids around Paris and the sites, the Sienne river cruise and the Eiffel tower. Effectively i have 3 and a half days in Paris

Quote:

5. Can't comment much on the shopping aspects. I guess you would be happy to avoid it too (hope your spouse doesnt read this line)
Well.. she wants one whole day dedicated to shopping. Maybe Ill take the kids to Louvre on that day:D

Quote:

6. London stay - no comments. But look out for places which have larger rooms. I can only comment on youth hostels which I had made use of during our travels, which may not be your choice of stay for sure.
Yup thats the point. No youth hostels for me. Im looking for apartments

Quote:

7. Plan your route well & keep your maps handy. Language can be a barrier in those tiny places along the swizz/german borders if you aare trying any routes given in travelbooks/logs (adventures). Gas stations should be a good bet though for any such queries (lame suggestion I guess)
Thanks for the tips mate. Ill keep all of them in mind.

Quote:

8. Pack your snackbox well if you are a vegetarian & fussy about global food. No meat doesnt signify vegetarian always.

Hope this helps a bit :)
Nope im not a vegetarian but i do turn into a salad eater almost in vengeance. I love the freshnes fo the salads whch one can rarely find out here.

Hey V-16, whats the progress? Have you finalised places to stay? If yes which ones and what price you are getting them? It would be very nice if you can post in what have been your final decisions. It would help as we are also going for UK trip on 18 June.

This thread came as big help for reference. Thanks all. Finally got a good deal through Online Travel and Hotel Bookings and Reservations| Best deals for hotels, cheap flights, air fares, car rentals and holiday packages : Expedia India Expedia India, in centeral London.

I am also planning a vacation to Euroe pe this summer and have some questions for frequent europe travelers.

- What are the good months for London, Paris & Italy? I am looking for warm weather & no rain. What are the months it's guaranteed not to rain in London?

- Any feedback about Kesari tours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2237167)
I am also planning a vacation to Euroe pe this summer and have some questions for frequent europe travelers.

- What are the good months for London, Paris & Italy? I am looking for warm weather & no rain. What are the months it's guaranteed not to rain in London?

- Any feedback about Kesari tours?

The best months to travel to London, Paris is from May to August, Sept when the weather is pleasant, somewhat like the winter season in Mumbai. temp around 16-20 deg C, good sunshine. About rain, it cant be predicted at all but generally not in the months mentioned.

Reg kesari tours, till now I have always heard good reviews which was evident by the fact they were a group of 20-25 people travelling to UK when I had gone to get my UK visa in Jan and everyone had a bag from Kesari. But the group mainly comprised of senior citizens.

Sounds like quite a trip!

Sorry to say that London weather is really, really hard to predict, and I don't know if there has ever been a rainless month!

I regard the place as wet, cold and miserable --- but I still enjoy visiting! In fact, I enjoy the city a great deal more now than I did when I lived there.

Paris, I have only visited for odd days on business. Climate might not be that different to London? It is a beautiful city, though. Italy I don't know at all, but wish I had been there.

Have a great trip :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 2237180)
Sounds like quite a trip!

Sorry to say that London weather is really, really hard to predict, and I don't know if there has ever been a rainless month!

Ok, thanks for your reply :-)
Let me rephrase the question - when is it least likely to rain.

I have lived in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, where the weather is lousy - 10 months of rain - but from middle of June to Middle of August, it almost never rains & the weather is glorious. July is guaranteed great weather.

Quote:

I regard the place as wet, cold and miserable

I can relate to that, though I haven't spent time in England.
Quote:

Paris, I have only visited for odd days on business. Climate might not be that different to London? It is a beautiful city, though. Italy I don't know at all, but wish I had been there.

Have a great trip :D

Didn't realize Paris weather was like English weather.

But in general, I assume it's not too risky planning to visit these countries in end of May or June.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 2237207)
I have lived in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, where the weather is lousy - 10 months of rain -

Looks like your referring to Seattle:). Have a great trip !

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2237213)
Looks like your referring to Seattle:). Have a great trip !

Yeah, but not going there now.

Unlike your American abode, there is simply no guaranteed great weather in London. I'd say June .... but you might just get rain of monsoon proportions! When England is lucky enough to get some really hot, sunny weather, it usually only lasts a few days or a week or two before thunder comes. Actually, December is one of the most settled months! May/June is probably best bet. August, traditionally the holiday month, is very unreliable.

Carboy,
I was in london from June-July 2010 and the weather was very good.
Encountered a few mornings with drizzle but the days were very pleasant.Good sunshine all through the day and the sun would set only after 9.30pm local time.
I'd guess that,this probably should be the best time to visit london.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 2237318)
Unlike your American abode, there is simply no guaranteed great weather in London. I'd say June .... but you might just get rain of monsoon proportions! When England is lucky enough to get some really hot, sunny weather, it usually only lasts a few days or a week or two before thunder comes. Actually, December is one of the most settled months! May/June is probably best bet. August, traditionally the holiday month, is very unreliable.

Thanks for your help in this.

Paris and Italy best time would be End May-Early Oct. Paris is nothing like London when it comes to weather - it doesn't rain as much and definitely doesn't start raining just when you think you have a nice sunny day ahead. Which part of Italy are you planning to visit? Southern Italy stays warmer a little longer than the northern part.