Team-BHP - The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/5765-international-driving-license-idl-international-driving-permit-idp-thread-17.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 2926729)
Go and become a life member at Automobile Association Southern India on Mount Road. They will look after things for you in a seamless manner.

Thanks Shankar.

Can I just become a member in Bangalore and have them help me in Chennai?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner

Thanks Shankar.

Can I just become a member in Bangalore and have them help me in Chennai?

Why not? Anyway once an AA Life Member, all the branches will help you.
By far this is the best method to get seamless IDP's, car transfers, DL renewals etc.

I know of a competent broker here in Chennai who deals with my local RTA. But he's charging Rs. 4500 for an IDP. Worth it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssh1979 (Post 2946042)
I know of a competent broker here in Chennai who deals with my local RTA. But he's charging Rs. 4500 for an IDP. Worth it?

Are you serious?

Anyway, did you manage to get the IDP? How much it costed? Can you update?

Town - Hosur, Tamilnadu

Process for IDL (explained by local driving school)

1st you need a valid Indian (any state) DL

Then you need the Visa to be stamped on the passport (may be recent, say upto 2 months old, not necessary to travel immediately, right?) - NOTE - Passport should be local address (per driving school)

Then its all paper work at RTO (3000Rs to be paid to driving school, God knows how much to Govt) and very next day you get it. No tests - written or driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 2982053)
Town - Hosur, Tamilnadu

Process for IDL (explained by local driving school)

Then its all paper work at RTO (3000Rs to be paid to driving school, God knows how much to Govt) and very next day you get it. No tests - written or driving.

Hi Santosh, I'd like to know which driving school processed your IDP? Selection, Divya or Maruti?

3000 bucks is a lot of money, considering the fact that government only charges 1000.

http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/dl5.html

^^^^ this is special express delivery fees levied in India by people who get your paperwork done without your involvement ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by drsingh (Post 3009649)
^^^^ this is special express delivery fees levied in India by people who get your paperwork done without your involvement ;)

Very well said :)
I was in similar position a couple yrs ago and needed an IDP in a hurry. Our local RTO agent arranged it within a few hrs once I'd given him a copy of my visa. His charges in Thane at the time was rs. 1300 for this work.

I am travelling to Germany for a year. Got an IDP done from the RTO in Kolkata. But on the IDP it says "Valid only in Germany". I have the following queries:

1. Is an IDP country specifi?

2. Does "valid in Germany" imply validity in other Schengen states?

Please suggest. I have a valid German visa and work permit.

I have a valid DL + passport, both with Bangalore address (different addresses though).
Have a US Visa stamped on my passport.

The reason I am looking for IDP/IDL is that I will be travelling sometime this year (not yet decided the place but definitely not to US).

I want to know if IDL valid in all countries (or at least most countries)?

Just trying to keep things prepared for impending tour.

Will suggest that you check local driving rules for the countries you are visiting for the requirement of the IDP. The IDP is just a translation of your local DL in a few international languages. Mostly, all countries accept your home DL if it is in English and in good shape (not a torn piece of paper, etc.). Might just save you the hassle of getting the IDP.

Oops
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013...ng_permit.html

From the article:
Quote:

The new law applies to any non-resident, including all those Canadians getting ready for March break
I read somewhere that they are going to modify this rule to exclude licenses written in English but that will not come into effect before July 1st anyway.

So, anyone going to Florida (or Fullrida as some of us call it :) ) before then, should get an IDP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito (Post 3030382)
I am travelling to Germany for a year. Got an IDP done from the RTO in Kolkata. But on the IDP it says "Valid only in Germany". I have the following queries:

1. Is an IDP country specifi?

2. Does "valid in Germany" imply validity in other Schengen states?

Please suggest. I have a valid German visa and work permit.

Hi,

I have had IDPs issued several times, they are cheap and simple to obtain. The easiest way to get one is from the RTO that issued the DL. The address on the Passport does not matter if the IDP is applied for at the place of issue of the DL. The DL must be at least one year old, and off course one needs a valid Visa nad ticket to submit alongwith the application.

Regarding the validity of the IDP, from my experience, the IDP ceases to be valid in any country where one has a residence permit or residence visa. The IDP is supposed to be valid only for people visiting the country and not for residents. I had to get my Dubai DL issued since I was holding a Residence Visa for the UAE, even though I had a valid IDP.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigger (Post 3051704)
Hi,

I have had IDPs issued several times, they are cheap and simple to obtain. The easiest way to get one is from the RTO that issued the DL. The address on the Passport does not matter if the IDP is applied for at the place of issue of the DL. The DL must be at least one year old, and off course one needs a valid Visa nad ticket to submit alongwith the application.

This is a big relief to me. My Passport address is Bangalore, while the DL is Chennai. I am planning to visit Chennai for getting my IDP.

Few clarification
More interesting is, the Form 1-A has a Box for photo next to the name and designation of the medical officer. Do these doctors, provide their photo too for such certificate? This is going to be the difficult task I guess.

Hi Mjoti,

Apply to the same RTO which issued your DL for simplicity's sake.

The Doctor is normally supposed to be the Government hospital one.

Basically, just go to the RTO and ask there. The procedures are well laid out and the people there give you all the info. Info regarding the suitable doctor is also available there and there is always someone there who will get your Medical Certificate stamped for a small fee.

One recce visit usually answers all your queries and you can then subsequently re-visit with the completed papers. Plus there are always touts around who are willing to show you the ropes for a small fee, the same guy would get your medical done too.