Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 00:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

So make sure you apply for the appointment well in advance Nitin, waiting times can stretch to 4 weeks without an issue and you don't want to stuck with that.
Old 14th July 2009, 00:55   #32
BHPian

Review of Aeroflot Russian Airlines
Well this airline is like a blast from the past . On their route from New Delhi to Moscow they fly Antonov aircraft . Yes these are the same soviet era planes you are thinking about . The seats are okay legroom wise and comfort is decent too . The air hostess are healthy and aged . Courtesy is a virtue they are not quite found of and I do experience some kind of slight racisim . Okay coming back to the plane , it looks like it is converted from some cold war military aircraft . On the two flights I took both took 1 hour just to start . Yes the planes are so old that there is always some minor mechanical problem or delay . After the plane takes off you thank god for the safe take off and hope for a comfortable landing too !
However the Moscow to Zurich route has brand new Airbus planes and overall flight experience is very good . Its on time , the crew is nicer to you and is generally better than the Asian routes .
All said Aeroflot offers incredible VFM . So to a budget traveller it is decent enough.
Rating * * *

Old 14th July 2009, 00:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
So make sure you apply for the appointment well in advance Nitin, waiting times can stretch to 4 weeks without an issue and you don't want to stuck with that.
Aye aye sir! We'll be sure to get an appointment with alteast a few weeks to spare.
Old 14th July 2009, 01:06   #34
BHPian

Shremetyevo Airport Moscow
Originally built for the Moscow Olympics in the early eighties the Airport is now old and should I say plane ugly soviet era design . It is charming though too look at it through a historic sense imagining it in the cold war era and experiencing the old communist style design etc . The Airport has atrocious level of comfort . Seating is just not enough and the Russians arent too hospitable to visitors . There are a couple of duty free shops but nothing compared to Zurich and the likes . The lines are long and there is little to do to pass time . The bathrooms are like the Indian Airports (old ones) .There are seperate air conditioned smoking lounges . There is a currency exchanger .Aeroflot almost owns the airport and the service is if I put it mildly okay .
Rating 1.5 *
Old 18th August 2009, 06:49   #35
BHPian

The International Air Travel Discusssion Thread

I am planning to go to Birmingham on the 19th of next month. Would any of you recommend me which airline to take? Any suggestions would be helpful. As each agent is suggesting is different things. Thanks.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Varun, British Airways will be convenient for you!
Old 18th August 2009, 23:34   #37
BHPian

Thanks finneyp
upon enquiry I found out that BA goes to London heathrow and does not have to Birmingham from Chennai. As of now my options are either Jet Airways or Emirates. Any pointers on these two?
Old 18th August 2009, 23:45   #38
BHPian

Hi,

Emirates will be a good choice to B'ham via Dubai.
Old 18th August 2009, 23:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun911 View Post
Thanks finneyp
upon enquiry I found out that BA goes to London heathrow and does not have to Birmingham from Chennai. As of now my options are either Jet Airways or Emirates. Any pointers on these two?
If BA can take you to Birmhingham with a decent connection at LHR take that. Does Jet fly you direct to Birmingham from Chennai? Emirates will probably route you through DXB & LHR. Go for the one with the least stops and travel time. You can also look at Lufthansa who might have a good connection out of FRA.

Between Emirates and Jet, I think Jet would be better.

Cheers and happy landings,
Old 19th August 2009, 00:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
If BA can take you to Birmhingham with a decent connection at LHR take that. Does Jet fly you direct to Birmingham from Chennai? Emirates will probably route you through DXB & LHR. Go for the one with the least stops and travel time. You can also look at Lufthansa who might have a good connection out of FRA.
Between Emirates and Jet, I think Jet would be better.
Cheers and happy landings,
BA does not have a connection from London to Birmingham (I'd have to rely on the Train or Bus). Yes like you said Emirates transits via Dubai and Jet airways via Brussels. I dont mind transits just that I wouldnt want to be shifting from the international to domestic terminals with all my luggage and stuff. I didnt include Lufthansa as I was told its not good. Is it true?
Old 19th August 2009, 02:14   #41
BHPian

Sucky Airline Alert: I just sufferred a massive Delta/NorthWest Airline ordeal from Mumbai to Newark via Amsterdam. The trip was PURE torture. Bad Aircrafts [no inflight videos, less cabin space], Bad Stewards - it couldn't get worse.
Old 19th August 2009, 13:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun911 View Post
BA does not have a connection from London to Birmingham (I'd have to rely on the Train or Bus). Yes like you said Emirates transits via Dubai and Jet airways via Brussels. I dont mind transits just that I wouldnt want to be shifting from the international to domestic terminals with all my luggage and stuff. I didnt include Lufthansa as I was told its not good. Is it true?
Transits can be a pain if you have to change terminal buildings but most airline websites give you prior information about it and the minimum transfer time is built into the system depending on the airport, terminal(s) etc. If baggage is booked through to the final destination, the airline transfers your bags to the connecting flight.

I quite like Lufthansa, I think they are very business like and efficient. A lot of Indians do not like Lufthansa as they find them "not warm, not friendly and brusque". I think it is merely a matter of perspective and some cultural differences. I have not found Lufthansa staff either unfriendly or rude, just quietly efficient and businesslike but helpful when the occasion demands and this is what I like about them. Frankfurt airport is a bit like a higgedly-piggedly crooked alley - quaint and a little quirky but nevertheless ruthlessly efficient. Lufthansa's planes are well maintained and clean and flights are punctual, the food is edible. There is a Lufthansa flight with one transfer in Frankfurt with a total travel time of 15h40m (transit time = 4 hours). I think a 4 hour transfer time is a bit long but not too bad.

Cheers,
Old 19th August 2009, 15:49   #43
BHPian

Varun here's a tip- first check any decent online travel website for the best connections to your destination. Choose the top three or four and then post the names of airlines involved here for advice on the best airline. Hope it is easier!
Old 20th August 2009, 00:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Frankfurt airport is a bit like a higgedly-piggedly crooked alley - quaint and a little quirky but nevertheless ruthlessly efficient. Lufthansa's planes are well maintained and clean and flights are punctual, the food is edible.
Thanks ravvy, This is what I wanted to hear. The staff's attitude can be different towards different people. What you give is what you get I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
first check any decent online travel website for the best connections to your destination. Choose the top three or four and then post the names of airlines involved here for advice on the best airline. Hope it is easier!
Greenhorn,
Thanks for the tip. I did a little bit of homework and came up my top choices as below.

Emirates:
Chennai (0415) to Dubai (0645)
Dubai (0805) to Birmingham (1235)

Lufthansa:
Chennai (0145) to Frankfurt (0815)
Frankfurt (1215) to Birmingham (1250)

Jet Airways:
Chennai (0100) to Brussels (0750)
Brussels (1030) to Birmingham (1045)

Swiss Air:
Chennai (2025) to Mumbai (2215)
Mumbai (0050) to Zurich (0615)
Zurich (0715) to Birmingham (0805)
Old 20th August 2009, 00:36   #45
BHPian

Varun, Jet has my vote. Emirates can also be considered as a second preference (check your agent if the plane on this route has their latest inflight entertainment system). Clearly, you could rule out Swiss Air.

Last edited by greenh0rn : 20th August 2009 at 00:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks