Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2024, 14:33   #1411
BHPian

Re: The joys of Mumbai’s airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
There are several online complaints about drivers and travellers being charged for pick up at P10. Link 1 Link 2

I have myself seen this happen on occasion. Unless it is someone who is agile enough to monitor the movement of traffic marshals and sneak in when they are not looking, I would be reluctant to follow this route. Especially, you don't want to be embarrassed after being caught doing something like this in front of your house guest.
wow ! this is news to me. I never knew such a traffic marshal is 'authorised' to collect parking fees.

Regards
Diesel
Old 16th February 2024, 15:41   #1412
BHPian

Re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

I live near the Bombay airports and this is what I tell folks whom I ve to pick up: I tell them to wait at gate no 7 of departures. I pick them up in a jiffy evading all the nonsense below. Picking up from arrivals or dropping someone off has ALWAYs been a nightmare. So called good design!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 16:53   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
One had to wonder at the genius at work here. How can you create a parking with no access to the stairs? What happens in the case of a fire? If I remember right this Airport was touted as one of the world’s best when it was made recently. What happened? Did the ‘ED aided’ corporate takeover result in some leakage of good sense?
T2 is the worst for pickup. I completely agree with you. I had a similar experience in December and again, in January, when I had to pick up my parents. Now I have directed them to P4, go to the prepaid Taxi counter and get a Cool Cab. Why Cool Cab you would ask? Because it's easily available and it has AC. So no wasting time on Uber and compromising with Kaali Peeli in our weather.

I dread going to T2 nowadays. Waiting for the new airport to start so that this mess goes out of the city.
Old 16th February 2024, 17:13   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAnna View Post
Waiting for the new airport to start so that this mess goes out of the city.
Any idea on what the timelines on that are? Also, if it is the same operator one can expect the same quality standard, I suppose.
Old 16th February 2024, 17:16   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on what the timelines on that are? Also, if it is the same operator one can expect the same quality standard, I suppose.
These are independent Taxi guys. I have used it many times. Never had to wait. It's exactly a kaali peeli but blue in colour (that means its AC). Don't expect great qualities but your job will be done. It works out cheaper than Uber/Ola.
Old 16th February 2024, 17:38   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAnna View Post
These are independent Taxi guys. I have used it many times. Never had to wait. It's exactly a kaali peeli but blue in colour (that means it's AC). Don't expect great qualities but your job will be done. It works out cheaper than Uber/Ola.
No, no, my question was about the timeline on the new airport.

I know about the basement taxis as I have given up on Uber and Ola. When I am travelling I prefer the good old prepaid taxi stand, I advise those visiting me to get one too. I only go to the airport when people of certain age are arriving, and they have to be picked up. In this case, I had an 80 plus lady coming in and I could hardly ask her to go down to the basement or go up to the departure floor. I only asked that she wait at Starbuck, which is right outside the exit from the airport.
Old 16th February 2024, 18:06   #1417
BHPian

Couple of thoughts / suggestions on Mumbai T2 Arrival issue:

1. Agree that the flow planning is atrocious

2. Operator is trying to maximise his revenue and wants to recover parking charges from every car that enters the complex. This was the position when the airport initially started and everybody had to pay to the operator. After an uproar they allowed car picking up passengers to use the lane meant for public busses which was farthest away from the gates and gave you full experience of smells in Mumbai as it was next to a Nullah (sewage).

3. This road was stopped for Metro work and they started allowing cars to pick up people from the departues ie the top level - P10.

4. It seems that the road has once again started and you have to walk still further ahead than earlier to be picked up. Now they have once again put notices in the departure area that they will recover charges for picking up passengers from that level.

5. The situation in P5 is awful as they have made all the levels above it ie P6 onwards till P9 as premium parking and charge a higher fare. Hence everybody wants to part in P5 only and avoid the extra payment. Am not aware of situation in levels P4 and below.

Thanks for tolerating the rant so far -

Now Options / Suggestion

6. Park in P6 or above. In fact there is a separate access to P9 level by crossing the security barrier - this is shown as exit towards the city just before you reach the airport. If you take that you can easily reach P9 and other premium parking levels.

7. Other option is to continue to the departure level and at the end of the last lane there is valet parking / premium parking options. You can ask your visitor to come to the departure level and get into the car. No questions asked as you have already paid their charges (tax).

8. Another hack is just after the entry to P9 that I mentioned in 6 above, there is a McDonald with parking space. Parking is meant for customers but you can ethically buy a coffee and walk across to the departures and pick up your passenger. Parking is limited and because the two entrances (P9 and McDonald) are close to each other that they create a cute traffic jam here also.

9. Last option is to use the lane meant for buses which is designated area for picking up passengers. I have not used it recently but earlier, before the Metro construction started, it was pretty decent and the only issue was that they will not allow you to wait for more than couple of minutes.

I think T2 is pretty well made except for 2 atrocious thing - the long walk and inconveniently placed travellators that are only 50% effective and this arrival situation.

Last comment - this issue has nothing to do with Adani as such. This was prevailing earlier also when GVK was the operator. It is also true for most of the airports in the country where charges are levied for entering the complex - have across many departures in India also where they charge fees even it is meant for couple of minutes to drop the passengers.
Quatro is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 22:10   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I got to experience the worldcrass infrastructure we are building.
Completely agree with you here. Mumbai T2 is dreadful to be picked up from. The easiest way I've found to this is to ask the passenger to take the lift upto the departures level and then get picked up from there instead of going to the parking for any reason at all.
Old 17th February 2024, 00:12   #1419
BHPian

I was at Mumbai T2 airport just last week. Our cabbie was a smart chap and he insisted we walk to the main road. We saved ~300 rupees on our trip to Ghatkopar just by making the 10 min walk to the main road. But this is not recommended for anyone with luggage because the road/ path is rough.

This policy of mandatory parking fee at arrivals is daylight robbery. Haven't seen this in any other city. I find it difficult to understand how media/ activists/ litigants haven't made any noise about this?
dhruvagarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 01:35   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
It is also true for most of the airports in the country where charges are levied for entering the complex - have across many departures in India also where they charge fees even it is meant for couple of minutes to drop the passengers.
Yet, surprisingly, Delhi's IGI airport, which is supposed to be the busiest airport in India, does not charge for drop and pickup.

Recently, they shifted the pickup at T3 arrivals to the multilevel car parking. Still it's a free entry in the parking for a duration of 15 minutes, which is enough to get in and out of the airport.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 23:42   #1421
BHPian

I am in the process of applying for a Schengen visa for a trip to Spain. It is last minute trip and I plan to stay there for a month from March till April 15th. Now the thing is my Passport expires on 20th August - which is 4 months beyond my departure date. I checked online and the embassy website and it is required to have a minimum of 3 months validity beyond the departure date.

The travel guy who is arranging my trip is saying that a minimum of 6 months is required and I am perplexed about getting my passport renewed as it might take time and my passport and further visa will not be received before the trip itinerary gets completed.

Should I apply for the Visa and try my luck or is the 3 month validity is good enough?

Members, please advise.
Old 25th February 2024, 00:08   #1422
BHPian

Apply for a Tatkal renewal on your passport and once you have confirmation on when you will get your new passport.
If no changes in address, then you should have your new passport in one week.
Old 25th February 2024, 18:07   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Apply for a Tatkal renewal on your passport and once you have confirmation on when you will get your new passport.
If no changes in address, then you should have your new passport in one week.
Coincidentally me, my son and wife all of us had to renew passports due to upcoming travels. For all 3 of us, passport was shipped the same day of interview and delivered before 10AM next day.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 10:36   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
I am in the process of applying for a Schengen visa for a trip to Spain. It is last minute trip and I plan to stay there for a month from March till April 15th. Now the thing is my Passport expires on 20th August - which is 4 months beyond my departure date. I checked online and the embassy website and it is required to have a minimum of 3 months validity beyond the departure date.

The travel guy who is arranging my trip is saying that a minimum of 6 months is required and I am perplexed about getting my passport renewed as it might take time and my passport and further visa will not be received before the trip itinerary gets completed.

Should I apply for the Visa and try my luck or is the 3 month validity is good enough?

Members, please advise.
It is definitely better to get a new passport. 6 months validity is the minimum you should have at time of travel. Currently you have multiple issues -
1. VFS may reject it due to validity.
2. If in case, you do get the visa, which can take 3 weeks from date of appointment at VFS, you will have no time to apply for a new passport. This means you will be at the airport with the same passport and your boarding may be declined.

Getting a new passport is the easier and quicker thing to do, if all your documents are in place. Should not take more than a couple of days.
Old 26th February 2024, 13:15   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
Apply for a new passport.

1. The agent will try to get their success rate high and won't entertain your application.
2. The consulate or VFS will send it back or reject it totally citing the bare minimum validity (lack thereof).
3. You will be in a spot if something comes up at the consulate and your visa processing gets delayed.
4. Your airline might deny boarding, if not from the origin, at the transit airport which will be their hub.

Assuming that you don't have any changes to be made in your details, even without the Tatkal option, you're likely to get the new one within a week's time. My kid's passport got delivered on the third day after we went to the Passport office in town (not even a Regional Passport Office).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks