Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2014, 10:29   #661
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Hi friends,

I am scheduled to travel from Bangalore to Auckland and back via Malaysia Airlines. There is a 2 hr layover and change of flights in Kuala Lumpur Intl Airport. I have a valid visitor visa to enter New Zealand.

Does anyone know whether transit visa is required for Malaysia? I do not intend to leave the airport and my Bangalore-Auckland ticket is on a single PNR. There is conflicting information on the Internet with some saying that only long term NZ visa holders (I hold only a short term visitor visa) are eligible for visa-less transit while some others say that as long as I do not leave the airport, no transit visa is required.
Old 4th February 2014, 11:10   #662
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ajay
You aren't leaving the airport at Malaysia and therefore, no transit visa is required. All you do is get off the plane from Bangalore, try and get the new gates information for your onboard journey to Auckland, and that's it.
Old 5th February 2014, 20:09   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
Hi friends,

I am scheduled to travel from Bangalore to Auckland and back via Malaysia Airlines. There is a 2 hr layover and change of flights in Kuala Lumpur Intl Airport. I have a valid visitor visa to enter New Zealand.

Does anyone know whether transit visa is required for Malaysia? I do not intend to leave the airport and my Bangalore-Auckland ticket is on a single PNR. There is conflicting information on the Internet with some saying that only long term NZ visa holders (I hold only a short term visitor visa) are eligible for visa-less transit while some others say that as long as I do not leave the airport, no transit visa is required.

Just to second JKrishnak comment,you only need a visa if you are going to clear immigration.which you are not going to at KL.Hence you are good to go.You can walk around the airport and stay clear of the immigration counters
Old 6th February 2014, 12:04   #664
BHPian

@jkrishnakj and @ranjitp1 thanks a lot!
Old 10th March 2014, 12:04   #665
BHPian

Hi friends,

Need some advise related to baggage, as I am flying to US this month, for the first time

1> Heard that I need to use only TSA locks. Googled about it and saw that there are many companies selling TSA locks. Any specific company to go for?

2> Need to buy check in bags also, any recommendations for which bags to go for? Also, Iam in Pune, so any good and cheaper shops to buy bags from?

3> What are baggage [cabin as well as check-in] limitations for infants below 6 months and children below 5 years?

4> Any other suggestions are also welcome.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:08   #666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Hi friends,

Need some advise related to baggage, as I am flying to US this month, for the first time

1> Heard that I need to use only TSA locks. Googled about it and saw that there are many companies selling TSA locks. Any specific company to go for?

2> Need to buy check in bags also, any recommendations for which bags to go for? Also, Iam in Pune, so any good and cheaper shops to buy bags from?
If you go to any Samsonite showroom all your queries( 1-2) would be met.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:35   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

Any reason you are focused on locks?

I flew into US for the first time recently and no locks at all. No issues faced apart from an eatable thrown out at NJ.

While going back, my parents did face an issue with Jet airways. A whiskey bottle and an expensive overcoat purchased here went missing at Delhi.
Old 10th March 2014, 15:56   #668
Senior - BHPian

I see that the limitations of baggage on Thai Airways are 20kgs and 7 kgs. I am planning to carry-in a camera-bag (the shoulder bag type) and also carry a laptop. Would this be a problem or is the laptop considered as that "personal" bag category?
Old 10th March 2014, 16:17   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
Any reason you are focused on locks?

I flew into US for the first time recently and no locks at all. No issues faced apart from an eatable thrown out at NJ.
So you suggest that its ok to leave the bags unlocked? Will it be safe from crew and other airport staff?

I also read somewhere that apart from locks, we should also use cable ties, the same one which shopping mall staff uses to lock the zips of the purses and bags.
Old 10th March 2014, 16:23   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also read somewhere that apart from locks, we should also use cable ties, the same one which shopping mall staff uses to lock the zips of the purses and bags.
For travel to US and if you intend locking your baggage then TSA locks are the way to go. No other wraps or ties are mandated.

Cheers!
Old 10th March 2014, 16:34   #671
BHPian

Quote:
So you suggest that its ok to leave the bags unlocked? Will it be safe from crew and other airport staff?

In last one year, myself and my family members have flown in to US without any locks and have not faced any issues like pilferage.

In fact, the whole idea of TSA approved lock is to enable the authorities here to open your bags.

Based on experiences of myself and many of other friends, it is not required to have those locks and I would only bother locking up in case flying back to India. I believe that would be necessary for the reason of possible curiosity of US returned flyers carrying expensive items, worth trying their hands on by some of the ground handlers.

Even there, your insurance should come handy.

My parents did not know about it and simply accepted the bags. Had they objected to missing items, I am sure we would have claimed compensation.
Old 18th March 2014, 13:42   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I see that the limitations of baggage on Thai Airways are 20kgs and 7 kgs. I am planning to carry-in a camera-bag (the shoulder bag type) and also carry a laptop. Would this be a problem or is the laptop considered as that "personal" bag category?
Called up Thai and they confirmed the weights allowed for the carry-in baggage. They also confirmed that we are allowed to carry a laptop as a personal baggage. Good stuff!

Also, another question guys. I will be flying back to Bangalore via Bangkok - there is a 10 hr time period for the next flight! I was considering doing a short visit of Bangkok but don't want the hassle of constantly looking at the watch to rush back to the airport.

Is a transit hotel a good idea? I mean, it is pricey but at least I can rest and shower etc. The Louis' Tavern room in the airport costs around 7k! I am only considering this since it will be hell to manage 10 hours in an airport. Or isn't it?
Old 25th April 2014, 00:02   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Is a transit hotel a good idea? I mean, it is pricey but at least I can rest and shower etc. The Louis' Tavern room in the airport costs around 7k! I am only considering this since it will be hell to manage 10 hours in an airport. Or isn't it?
naveenroy: Suvarnabhoomi Airport should keep you occupied for atleast 3-4hours if you take a tour of the place slowly

There are day rooms available in the airport itself. Some airlines even provide lounge facilities for an extra fee where you can relax, catch some sleep, eat and drink are complimentary and some lounges also have shower facilities. I would suggest one of these options.
Old 24th July 2014, 16:37   #674
Team-BHP Support

Air Algerie flight AH5017 disappears from radar over North Africa EDIT : Crashed!

Air Algerie flight AH5017 (Airbus A320) carrying 110 passengers and 6 crew members has gone missing from the radar. The flight departed from Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and was to arrive at Algiers, Algeria.

Reuters

This is sad!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th July 2014 at 16:46.
Old 24th July 2014, 16:44   #675
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh dear, not another! Got this from another source:
Quote:
The source said contact with the aircraft was lost while it was still in Malian airspace approaching the border with Algeria.

Despite international military intervention still under way, the situation remains unstable in northern Mali, which was seized by jihadist groups for several months in 2012.

On July 17, the Bamako government and armed groups from northern Mali launched tough talks in Algiers aimed at securing an elusive peace deal, and with parts of the country still mired in conflict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Air Algerie flight AH5017 (Airbus A320) carrying 110 passengers and 6 crew members has gone missing from the radar.
This report says it is a McDonnell Douglas DC-9.

Last edited by noopster : 24th July 2014 at 16:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks