Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 18:42   #586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
Hi All

Me and My family planning to travel to Brisbane by June end .This is via Singapore and by Singapore airlines

Flight will be from Kochi-Singapore(Silk Air) and Singapore-Brisbane(By Singapore Airlines).

How about the Singapore/Silk airlines and their attitudes. Also I need to change Terminals at Singapore and will have a transit time of 2.4 hrs.Will it take time?

Do I need to take care anything specific?

Thanks
Don't worry at all. This transfer will be a breeze. You can transit between terminals via the internal skytrain. There are detailed sign boards everywhere at Changi.
Silk air / Singapore service is usually good.
Old 7th May 2013, 00:57   #587
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Would it be taxable if i order genuine sparco/recaros from the US? Cost is about 40K but it is for a college project (BAJA SAE Team). If yes how can i avoid the taxes?
Old 8th May 2013, 17:09   #588
BHPian

Hi everyone,
I have a travel to Europe coming up this weekend. Though I have traveled a number of times(often LH, AF, and BA), I have 2 airports I haven't touched before in this itinerary. These are Dusseldorf(DUS) and Vienna(VIE). Could anyone share their experiences on how these airports?
Frankfurt and Heathrow are much larger, but I have got the hang of both of these.
Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 18:17   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
Don't worry at all. This transfer will be a breeze. You can transit between terminals via the internal skytrain. There are detailed sign boards everywhere at Changi.
Silk air / Singapore service is usually good.
+1 to that.

Changi is one of the best airports in the world and the signboards are adequate and helpful. In any case, the service guys are extremely helpful and will guide you correctly (though I doubt you will need that).

Silk Air/ Singapore Airlines is very professional and I have hardly heard anyone having any issues with them. Enjoy Changi in your transit time, do check out the kinetic rain at T1.
Old 11th June 2013, 16:58   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
You shall have the crutches with you at all times - they are allowed above and beyond any hand baggage items in all airlines and should not be checked in.
Thanks for your advice! I followed all these steps and it worked like clockwork. The only odd part that I noticed was that at the indian side, both the guys (outward and return) asked me specifically for 'tip' and 'goodluck'. On the outward part the guy kept talking about how much time and effort he saved me especially for immigration.
This did not happen in Munich, Dusseldorf or Zurich airports.In fact the lady at Dusseldorf was a very sweet and cheerful person. But I never once felt they were fishing for tips.
it is not as if the indian guys are not paid, but for some reason they always fish or blatantly ask for money. Damn irritating!
Old 11th June 2013, 17:15   #591
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The only odd part that I noticed was that at the indian side, both the guys (outward and return) asked me specifically for 'tip' and 'goodluck'. On the outward part the guy kept talking about how much time and effort he saved me especially for immigration.
Which airport is this? I have never seen any immigration guy asking for money.
Old 11th June 2013, 17:28   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Which airport is this? I have never seen any immigration guy asking for money.
It was the guy pushing the wheelchair. he kept saying that he saved me from the immigration queue by bypassing it. I dont think it is his benevolence and I assume its his job and he is being paid to push us unfortunate folks around.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:07   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is not as if the indian guys are not paid, but for some reason they always fish or blatantly ask for money. Damn irritating!
Must say, that is the difference in mentality. The people this side of the world (most of them I have seen) take pleasure and pride in what they do, does not matter even if it sweeping the streets. Remember how many times they say "Bitte" when they interact with a customer here?

BTW, the next time you are here, I expect a message in advance, that way we can plan things much better. It was nice meeting you.

Auf Wiedersehen !

Spike
Old 11th June 2013, 18:34   #594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was the guy pushing the wheelchair.
Oh, ok. I mistook your statement.
Old 11th June 2013, 20:36   #595
BHPian

Just a heads up for travelers entering Indian airports, gold coins bought from overseas are taxed around 8% tax , there is a small kiosk where you can pay the amount in dollars ( in case you dont have INR handy ) and you are given a receipt for the same.

The custom officer then attests the receipt and then you can proceed to namma bengaluru .
Old 3rd July 2013, 08:54   #596
PGA
BHPian

My son recently traveled back from Sydney to New Delhi via Singapore. He is 16 yrs of age and was travelling alone. He had a nail cutter in his cabin baggage. The security check at Sydney did not object to the item. During changeover at Singapore, the security objected to the item as it had built in nail filer cum blade, size of which was approx 2 inches. They made the child drop off the item and obtained his signatures on a form which stated that a knife was found on him.
To me it seems to be a case of overreaction, I was wondering if the episode has any future implications. Is there any way I could represent to Changi authorities to set the record straight.

Last edited by PGA : 3rd July 2013 at 09:12. Reason: corrections
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:21   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
To me it seems to be a case of overreaction, I was wondering if the episode has any future implications. Is there any way I could represent to Changi authorities to set the record straight.
I don't think you should worry about it. I'm sure they confiscate dozens of nail clippers from travellers daily, since SIN is a major layover/transit point in the Australia-Asia/Europe route.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:58   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
They made the child drop off the item and obtained his signatures on a form which stated that a knife was found on him.
To me it seems to be a case of overreaction, I was wondering if the episode has any future implications.
The same thing happened to me at Bangalore Airport in 2005. After that incident, I've made multiple trips within India and abroad (from Bangalore and other airports as well) and have also had my passport renewed So I guess, you do not need to panic.
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:28   #599
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

I don't think you should worry about it. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

I guess, you do not need to panic.
Thanks a lot for the information. I think I will leave at that. My concern was them obtaining signatures for knife.
Old 7th July 2013, 18:02   #600
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Some of you would've heard of the Asiana Airlines crash.

My key takeaway from the Asiana Airlines crash at SFO: Fly 777s.
Only two hull-losses (i.e cases where plane written off) till date. But hull intact in both cases.

For an aircraft introduced in 1995 - that's mighty safe I say!

EDIT: and a third fire (at stand). But that's different from any issues mid-air

Last edited by phamilyman : 7th July 2013 at 18:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks