Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 13:15   #181
BHPian

Fly regularly with Singapore Airlines and i gotta say, they are the best.

Absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

Emirates is not bad either. I can remember an instance one time in early 2009 when i got upgraded to First at the boarding gate. So there i was sipping Dom Perigon!
Old 8th March 2010, 20:11   #182
Senior - BHPian

I used

1) Lufthansa for 3 round trips (Bangalore-Frankfurt-Atlanta) and their service was good

2) Air France - Did round trip (Bangalore-Paris-Atlanta once) and their service was average. But I love 2E terminal at Paris airport, but did face some issue at Paris airport security check.

3) DELTA - Did Atl-Paris once and experience was bit scary, just before take-off it faced some technical problem (radio announcement i think) and was taken back from taxi way. Result-got delayed by 45min.

Last edited by Latheesh : 8th March 2010 at 20:13.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:21   #183
MCR
BHPian

Guys,
I have travelled on Lufthansa 3 times. Once from Chennai to Frankfurt and twice from Bangalore to Frankfurt. All in 2007.The Chennai - Frankfurt was a lousy old airplane with the monitor and the seats shaking heavily, and well supported by grumpy staff. The return on that trip was via Mumbai and the Frankfurt - Mumbai flight, the less said the better. The crew were simply struggling and no Veg meal was available. Nor any other suitable forms of food. On other two trips, the experience was not so good, however Veg meal was available. But unfortunately, the soft drinks ran out of stock in the first serving.

Have travelled on Air France in 2008. This was a good experience. The Bangalore - Paris flight took off 30 Minutes late but landed on time. The crew were better and meal was good. The return flight took off late thanks to the incoming united airlines code share flight, but the crew served some snacks to keep customers happy. But the only sore point is the ever confusing CDG airport.

The experience on Emirates in 2009 was a good one. But some how was not good this time.

But one consistent thing every time is my check-in baggage gets some damage and the wheels are gone every time. LOL.

Last edited by MCR : 8th March 2010 at 21:24.
Old 9th March 2010, 05:40   #184

Airport : Changi, Singapore
Airways : Singapore and Jet ( never had any issues with them unlike our Indian counterparts who made travel the next day inspite of arriving 2 hrs before departure for checkin :(
Old 9th March 2010, 13:28   #185
BHPian

All,

Which of these options does one choose for cheapest fares?
1. Online (airline website)
2. Online (makemytrip etc)
3. Travel agent.
4. Direct airline office?

I never had this problem planning trips to SE Asia because of low cost airlines. For UK I am not really sure.

Any advice on cheapest airfares from Bangalore to London would be more than helpful
Cheers!
Karthik
Old 9th March 2010, 13:38   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post

Any advice on cheapest airfares from Bangalore to London would be more than helpful
Cheers!
Karthik
I have seen that British Airways usually has the lowest airfares if the itinerary is a bit flexible. You can directly book on their website. Also check ixigo to get an idea about the lowest airfares.
Old 9th March 2010, 16:35   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
All,

Which of these options does one choose for cheapest fares?
1. Online (airline website)
2. Online (makemytrip etc)
3. Travel agent.
4. Direct airline office?

I never had this problem planning trips to SE Asia because of low cost airlines. For UK I am not really sure.

Cheers!
Karthik
Option 1 : if there are offers from the airline but most of the times it doesn't work out unless you are willing to travel during weekdays.
Option 2: it will work out unless you don't change the itenirary which would either cost extra or not possible.
Option 3: check with the agents for code share flghts which would be chepaer compared to the above
Option 4 : Never. More or less same as online fares from their site
Old 10th March 2010, 03:48   #188
BHPian

Just writing from the houston airport,I always fly continental but due to bad weather in northern parts of US i avoided and went in for KLM. In both flights from delhi-amsterdam,amsterdam -houston , the food was badddd. One of those days when people refuse to eat and stay hungry. The passenger sitting next to me had a beef sandwich and suffered from food poisoning and puked around 4 times. So just to give an update to guys who are thinking KLM for future trips. It earned bad appraisal from me although.
Old 10th March 2010, 05:03   #189
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
I've flown the Dubai to Newark direct flight and it was great. It doesn't feel much longer then a Hyd to London flight but when you land you are already in the US. Great flight.

We haven't flown Air India since the early '90's probably, as we started to notice the decline in service and food overall. In any case, you'll be ok, just know what to expect and hopefully it'll be better then you think it will.

BTW, we are trying Etihad for the first time this year coming to Hyd. I'll let you all know how our experiences are when I/we get there this Dec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I prefer Air India for the food, atleast you can eat it. Last trip, took Air France, the food was simply bad. Luckily had some snacks that helped me survive till Houston. What I liked was the seats, In Flight entertainment and the white wine.
Just an update. Flew Etihad this Dec/Jan and it was very good. I'd say they are still number 2 to Emirates, but with a little experience and refining, they will be equal to Emirates.

Regarding the food. My suggestion is to check out their many many options they have available(can see them on their website) and make sure to make your choice with the travel agent when you book your flight. You can also make this choice via the Etihad customer service number, but may as well get it out of the way when you book your flight.

The two best options they have(in my opinion) are the "Hindu non-veg" and the "Hindu Veg" meals. Basically all that means is Indian food.. And it was pretty decent I have to say. All their meals are Halal btw, regardless of what option you choose.

When you choose a food option before hand. You get your food about 30 minutes before everyone who did not "choose" a meal option before hand.

Other then food, the seats/space, TV/Movie entertainment system etc are all top notch for international economy standards.

I'd fly them again in a heartbeat.
Old 10th March 2010, 09:36   #190
BHPian

My Travel Agent hooks me up with the best fares.
I have no idea where he gets them from...but i really save a lot.
No comparison whatsoever.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:08   #191
Senior - BHPian

I like the Emirates for both the comfort and food. The leg space is much better than those lufthansa or singapore airlines or thai. Not to tell about the American airlines.

In singapore airlines 2 things are better than emirates. The Singapore sling and murgh biriyani on Singapore to Chennai

Lufthansa fairs are almost double the fares of emirates. Not sure why. May be because of the frankfurt hub to US. They have moderate food, no leg space, and no in-flight entertainment too. I hate to watch those so-called hanging TVs.

And finally, it depends on your luck too. Once I had a free upgrade to Business class in Emirates. To compensate, they gave me a broken or bad chair on the return!!!
Old 10th March 2010, 12:16   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I have seen that British Airways usually has the lowest airfares if the itinerary is a bit flexible. You can directly book on their website. Also check ixigo to get an idea about the lowest airfares.
Thanks! I feel British airways is the most convenient option (direct flight). The others may be 2-3K cheaper. Since I save on time, looks like BA is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremethunder View Post
Option 1 : if there are offers from the airline but most of the times it doesn't work out unless you are willing to travel during weekdays.
Option 2: it will work out unless you don't change the itenirary which would either cost extra or not possible.
Option 3: check with the agents for code share flghts which would be chepaer compared to the above
Option 4 : Never. More or less same as online fares from their site
Thanks!. Am going to call up the travel agent to check if they can give better fares than the online fares. Surprising, BA charges online booking fee of Rs 300 !
Old 12th March 2010, 13:15   #193
Senior - BHPian

Chennai to Adelaide:
I will probably choose Chennai - Singapore - Adelaide.
I have two options with the same cost.
Chennai - Singapore by Air India
Singapore Adelaide by Qantas
Transit time at Singapore for this is about 3 hours.

Chennai - Singapore by Jet
Singapore Adelaide by Qantas
Transit time by this is 14 hours at Singapore.

I am a little worried about Air India Option as I've heard bad stories about their luggage handling mainly. Not too worried about their InFlight Service as I know what to expect. A shorter transit time is really of advantage as it is more convenient.

Any suggestions?
Old 12th March 2010, 14:31   #194
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I need some information regarding Mumbai-Brisbane route. I intend to travel by last week of March from Mumbai to Brisbane. Wanted to know
1) Is there a direct flight from Mumbai to Brisbane
2) If not what option do I have to have least travelling time.
3) I have frequent fliers from jet and kingfisher. Which partner airlines should I prefer to accumulate for air miles?
4) I tried searching for options but I am getting more confused.
Anybody travelled by this sector can provide valuable feedabck.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:46   #195
Senior - BHPian

My replies in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Guys,
I need some information regarding Mumbai-Brisbane route. I intend to travel by last week of March from Mumbai to Brisbane. Wanted to know
1) Is there a direct flight from Mumbai to Brisbane.
yes there is - Qantas operates a flight. This flight stops in Singapore for about 2 hours and then continues.
2) If not what option do I have to have least traveling time.
Singapore Airlines has one option with a 1.5 hour transit in Singapore and another with 4.5 hours transit. Don't know if the first option is sufficient time - but it seems quite good. Thai also has an option.
All these flights cost less than 30000 Rupees for economy.

3) I have frequent fliers from jet and kingfisher. Which partner airlines should I prefer to accumulate for air miles? Not sure.
4) I tried searching for options but I am getting more confused.
Stick to Singapore Airlines or Qantas or Thai. The other combinations have a more complicated itinery.
Anybody travelled by this sector can provide valuable feedabck.
Websites to book tickets.
Flights, Cheap Hotels at MakeMyTrip - India's No 1 Travel Site | Guaranteed Low Cost Air Tickets, Bus, Book Holiday Packages & Rail Tours Online
Qantas ? flights to Australia, New Zealand and Europe. Book airfares at qantas.com.
Welcome to Singapore Airlines: Asia's leading airline with flights serving over 35 countries

If that is not comfortable for you, use an agent and get the job done.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 12th March 2010 at 14:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks