Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

NH209 was in decent condition before the rains, no idea of its current status.IN any case, the worst sections in NH209 were in the Kanakapura-Malavalli section, after which it is better.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:44   #62
BHPian

Can some one tell me the road conditions from Kollegal to Shivanasamudra on the NH209?
Any interesting places further up from the waterfalls to Malavalli?

How about SH33 from Malavalli to Mysore? Road condition? Anything interesting on that route?

How is the NH212 from Kollegal to Mysore? Is there something interesting at T.Narsipura or on that Road?

In short, should I return back from Shivanasamudra back to Kollegal and go via T.Narsipura? Or should I head to Malavalli and on the SH33 via Bannur to Mysore? Any other diversion/detour along Cauvery from Shivasamudra is also welcome. But final

All of the above assuming I start from Kollegal.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 7th September 2010 at 19:48.
Old 7th September 2010, 20:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can some one tell me the road conditions from Kollegal to Shivanasamudra on the NH209?
Any interesting places further up from the waterfalls to Malavalli?
Last I heard this road was done up and was doable in a sedan. Buses ply regularly on this route.

Quote:
How about SH33 from Malavalli to Mysore? Road condition? Anything interesting on that route?
Pretty good condition and nothing to worry about. I just did that route last weekend.

Quote:
How is the NH212 from Kollegal to Mysore? Is there something interesting at T.Narsipura or on that Road?
Except for the Gunjanarasimhaswamy temple and that battered old bridge nothing else. Beautiful landscapes though and makes for a good treat to the human eye.
Old 7th September 2010, 21:07   #64
BHPian

Thanks rjstyles. So I think I should go up till the falls from Kollegal up. Go through Belakavadi to Talakad (Is there something here?) and then join the T.Narasipur-Kollegal Rd at Madapura. Is this advisable?
Old 8th September 2010, 12:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Thanks rjstyles. So I think I should go up till the falls from Kollegal up. Go through Belakavadi to Talakad (Is there something here?) and then join the T.Narasipur-Kollegal Rd at Madapura. Is this advisable?
Talakadu has some ancient temples and most of them were covered in sand once. There is a legend associated with Talakadu. Check out the link for more details. It is worth a visit.

Talakad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 13th September 2010, 09:59   #66
BHPian

I am sitting here in the cosy confines of my air-conditioned office and still shuddering going through when I think of the Palar-MM-Hills-Kowdahalli section last Friday afternoon. Anyway really an OTR. Thanks to Addy for saying its do-able and thanks to HVK to raise the concern - though like a naughty boy we did not heed. @rjstyles69: Roads in KA requires lots of improvement - a total revamp, I must say. All in all, a 3 day trip to remember for the good reasons and the bad and we had a good break from our daily chores.
Old 13th September 2010, 10:16   #67
Senior - BHPian

Where were the real bad sections? And what were your drive timings?
Old 13th September 2010, 10:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sitting here in the cosy confines of my air-conditioned office and still shuddering going through when I think of the Palar-MM-Hills-Kowdahalli section last Friday afternoon. Anyway really an OTR. Thanks to Addy for saying its do-able and thanks to HVK to raise the concern - though like a naughty boy we did not heed. @rjstyles69: Roads in KA requires lots of improvement - a total revamp, I must say. All in all, a 3 day trip to remember for the good reasons and the bad and we had a good break from our daily chores.
Was it that bad? How would you compare it with the Kemmangundi road?
Old 13th September 2010, 10:41   #69
Team-BHP Support

I think there is one TL on this route which I have seen. Dont remember that thread. The family checked out Mysore/Srirangapatna and then went via this route down south to TN. Please do post some snaps.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:30   #70
BHPian

@ampere: The TL is from Addy I PM-ed him as no one else knew about. But in hind-sight the lesser you know about it the better. Ha ha.

@Addy: Worse than Kemmangundi - road-wise and scenery wise.

@HVK: Where do I start. My logs are full of bad roads in KA. Anyway to summarise, till the Palar border, roads are good as also mentioned by Addy. 20 km to hill-top and 30 km from hill-top to Kowdahalli, roads are very bad. Started from MM Hills at 11:17 and reached Gaganchukki at 2:30 pm - 60 km away from Kowdahalli. Omni-vans were going at high speed but I am not a taxi-driver. I love my Chevy.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:54   #71
Team-BHP Support

Was it you addy? Then I remember one more. Can you point me to that TL?

Jeev, Do you have tracklogs?
Old 13th September 2010, 17:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@rjstyles69: Roads in KA requires lots of improvement - a total revamp, I must say. All in all, a 3 day trip to remember for the good reasons and the bad and we had a good break from our daily chores.
Its easier said than done . A few of us have been praying for years now asking the gods to show mercy, put some brains into our so called authorities and give us better roads. Nothing happens , period !!
Old 13th September 2010, 20:05   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Was it you addy? Then I remember one more. Can you point me to that TL?

Jeev, Do you have tracklogs?
Nope, I don't know what he's talking about. I haven't written any travelogue on this place . I had posted some info on this place on another thread, but I don't think it was a travelogue.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:14   #74
BHPian

@ampere/addy: OK. Lets not debate if its a TL or not. There is one more "TL" or link which gives some info.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...m-m-hills.html

This has much better info.

The one I previously talked about is:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...a-mmhills.html

@rjstyle69: Indeed. I dont know the reason. I found a road-layer on the Mettur-Palar(border) actively working. So the TN govt is doing something. Right from the border and beyond into KA its gone. Is it not in the KA govt priority list. Last Christmas from Lingadahalli to Hassan it took ages. The roads are

1. Kind of salt-pepper broken tar
2. Small stones laid which is the first part, but the second part of laying still smaller/finer/powder/dust stones and then the liquid tar is not done - lack of funds - contractor running away or something like that
3. I have seen lots of 100m, 200m kind of sections of horrible road but at both the sides of this section the roads are better. Why did they leave that 100m stretch. Some superstition!

I have lots of pictures taken of all the 3 categories. I will post them tonight. Reason I am so descriptive is that I did quite some TN, KL (Malabar), AP (South) travels - but KA is distinct. Maybe its because of the rains. KA gets more than TN, AP. Another thing I often hear is - "The road is ok. But I dont know how it is after the rains". Question: How does it get better by say the next winter/summer. The bad roads needs to be worked upon subsequently. Do they work on it? Because a pot-hole created during monsoon cannot heal by itself! Cant the IT big-wigs of Bangalore influence this? I saw the IT animal-adopters list in front of each cage/enclosure in the Mysore Zoo.

Ah! One more thing - Bangalore-Mysore - SH17 is ok. But something intriguing - lot of humps all through, atleast till Maddur. And then through crowded towns of Ramanagara, Channapatna, Bidadi. For such a short 130 km stretch the pleasure of driving is gone. After seeing the first hump, I was scared through out, whenever there was a descent, I was expecting a hump at the minima and I do not want to excessively use my break from 100 to 0. Its not good for anyone. One good thing I liked on the NH from Hosur to Chennai are these single posts with the single flashing amber circular signals. From a far off distance one can identify that there is a zebra-crossing or a junction where one has to slow-down, this makes it easier to decelerate well ahead in time. We should have that on the SH-17 too.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 14th September 2010 at 09:29.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:47   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ah! One more thing - Bangalore-Mysore - SH17 is ok. But something intriguing - lot of humps all through, atleast till Maddur. And then through crowded towns of Ramanagara, Channapatna, Bidadi. For such a short 130 km stretch the pleasure of driving is gone. After seeing the first hump, I was scared through out, whenever there was a descent, I was expecting a hump at the minima and I do not want to excessively use my break from 100 to 0. Its not good for anyone. One good thing I liked on the NH from Hosur to Chennai are these single posts with the single flashing amber circular signals. From a far off distance one can identify that there is a zebra-crossing or a junction where one has to slow-down, this makes it easier to decelerate well ahead in time. We should have that on the SH-17 too.
That is the precise reason many guys dont like SH17. The other problem is that since its SH, it goes through towns and many folks have put humps on their own (or so it seems).

NH will typically bypass these towns.

I distinctly remember Chevy_Lover not wanting to go to Ooty via Mysore just for this precise reason!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks