Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2024, 10:17   #121
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Nashik : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Thank you for the update on Mumbai--Nasik road. Yes, there is news around that another 25 km of Samruddhi Mahamarg from Bharvir to Igatpuri will most likely be opened to traffic on 4th March, 2024. However, knowing the pathetic state of affairs in Maharashtra since more than 10-12 years, no surprise if it's postponed by another 2 months for no specific reason !!
Looks like news is confirmed. There is a news story for this in today's Indian Express.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...shtra-9188939/
samdarshi.pali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 20:15   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Must say, things have significantly improved
Thanks for letting us know. These small tidbits of information help a lot. I am driving down to Mumbai from Bhopal in my Tata Nano tomorrow. It will be an all night drive to avoid the scorching sun - 4:30pm to 7am destination near Colaba Fire Station.

Last time, near Vasind, my car hit a major pothole and both the tires on the right side were damaged. One of them was beyond repair and the other was repaired by a puncture wala (bent rim).

Puneet cars on E Moses road has been servicing my Nano for a while now and I trust them to do a good job. So I thought I will combine a business trip and get the Nano serviced from Mumbai. I do not trust Bhopal's Tata service centers. It is a new city for me that way.

On the way back on 5th March, I will take the Samruddhi Mahamarg (first time ever for me) to Amravati and then Betul - Itarsi - Bhopal.

Should be a fun drive. The Nano does not run much anymore and this long drive of total ~2000kms should do the engine some good.
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 12:50   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
On the way back on 5th March, I will take the Samruddhi Mahamarg (first time ever for me) to Amravati and then Betul - Itarsi - Bhopal.
Please post your experience for this route through Samruddhi Mahamarg. I visit Bhopal regularly from Navi Mumbai and like to know more about possibility of using Samruddhi Mahamarg.

Regards
Old 6th March 2024, 14:35   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdarshi.pali View Post
Please post your experience for this route through Samruddhi Mahamarg. I visit Bhopal regularly from Navi Mumbai and like to know more about possibility of using Samruddhi Mahamarg.

Regards
See, it all depends on which car you drive.

I did 1025kms from Colaba Fire Station to Aakriti Eco City in 17hrs with 1hr break for lunch and fuel. That means I did continuous 16hrs of driving to cover 1025kms. 5:30am to 10:30pm.

This was the end result for me because I drove a Tata Nano. After owning a Nano for 14 years, I should have had the common sense to realize what I learnt (and am about to tell you) during and after the drive. A Nano is very very good at maintaining 80-85kmph constant speed on decent roads. Therefore, on Agra Bombay road to Indore, unlike cars that go at 120kmph and then keep braking due to obstacles, the Nano just keeps on running at 80kmph giving 26kmpl without the need for braking and completes 802km from Colaba to Aakriti Eco City Bhopal in 13 hours or so. But on Samruddhi Expressway, the Nano will still do only 80-85kmph and not be able to use any advantage the expressway gives. But a better car - better car here only means bigger engine and nothing else - can make use of the Mahamarg/expressway to do constant 120kmph (if not more) and make really really good time.

Therefore, if I am using the Nano, I will use the regular route always. But you can choose to use Mahamarg.

Now for more intricate details -

1. I read somewhere that the Mahamarg starts from Pune expressway? Is that true? If yes, then you must simply catch the Mahamarg from the Pune expressway (because you are already in Navi Mumbai) and you will reach Karanja Lad exit for Amravati. You can cover this distance in about 4 hours because you can maintain an avg speed of 120kmph very very easily on the Mahamarg.

2. I drove from Colaba to Igatpuri and saw a sign board saying "Nagpur Mahamarg right". I took the right and got onto the Mahamarg from Igatpuri itself. I left Colaba at 5:35am and got on the Mahamarg at 8:40am. I exited from Karanja Lad exit for Amravati at about 4pm. Disadvantage of the Nano.

3. After the exit, Amravati is about 80kms (if I remember correctly) and the road continues around Amravati to Mulshi, Warud, Multhai, Betul, Itarsi, Narmadapuram and then Bhopal. Karanja Lad exit to Amravati is 10% average road and 90% very decent road. Amravati to Warud is again a decentish road. Warud to Multhai is below average ghat road almost single lane. Multhai onwards the expressway in MP starts which you might know about already - very good road but with some very very bad patches here and there. The bad patches are very bad. The Narmadapuram Ghat section is jsut one of them and the roads are broken everywhere. It took me 4.5 hours for 200kms from Multhai to Bhopal. It really took a toll on me because first of all the Nano NVH levels are bad, suspension cannot take bad roads at all and secondly I was already tired after a long days drive. Upto Multhai I had already done 800kms.

If I had not taken the Mahamarg and continued on the regular route, I would have reached Bhopal in 13hrs for sure. I have done that many times.

If you can get on the Mahamarg from Pune expressway then assume 4-5hrs to Karanja Exit + 6 hrs to Bhopal after that. Total of min 11hrs. Depending on your car and driving style.

If you have to drive to Igatpuri from Navi Mumbai to get on the Mahamarg then it is not worth it at all because it will be common sense to continue to Nashik, Dhule, Indore, Bhopal route and you will get there much faster.

Also, take this Mahamarg route only in the day and if you can end the trip before sunset. There are patches before and after Betul where there are no lights and you cannot see a darn thing because the cars in front of you will have full beam and the car behind you will have full beam on. I drove for about 3 hrs with total guess work and at times went on wrong side of the road (there are many many diversions too!!)

Do it once just for academic purposes.

Last edited by sjain2054 : 6th March 2024 at 14:39.
sjain2054 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 12:23   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
Do it once just for academic purposes.
Thanks for details!

Tried different routes with the new expressway based on your 16-hour drive, but sadly it doesn't seem to save time yet. Maybe once they finish it all the way to Amne it'll be worth using.

Regards
Old 7th March 2024, 12:34   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdarshi.pali View Post
Thanks for details!

Tried different routes with the new expressway based on your 16-hour drive, but sadly it doesn't seem to save time yet. Maybe once they finish it all the way to Amne it'll be worth using.

Regards
It will not be worth it even after it extends to Amane. The distance is 200kms longer, the time taken is roughly the same and the roads are really bad in some places after Karanja Lad Exit. For Bhopal, the most sensible route is the Agra Bombay Road till Indore and then the Indore Dewas Bhopal road.
Old 7th March 2024, 14:15   #127
BHPian

sjain2054 Ji,

Fully agree with you.

My usual route is Navi Mumbai - Bhopal via Nashik, Dhule, Indore, and Dewas. Looking for options, though.

Once the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway opens, I think it could be a good alternative. We could take it till Jaora and then head to Bhopal via Ujjain - Dewas bypass.

Last edited by samdarshi.pali : 7th March 2024 at 14:16.
Old 14th March 2024, 08:52   #128
BHPian

I did not know about the Jaora connection. Thanks for letting me know. I think you are absolutely right about that being the best option once the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway opens up.

I suppose it is time to let go of the Nano and upgrading to something that will do well on these lovely expressways. We have a Grand i10 automatic for the city.
Old 26th March 2024, 14:03   #129
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Nashik on Saturday & came back on Monday during the Holi weekend. Inspite of leaving Western Suburbs at 6am encountered traffic at Bhiwandi bypass. Did not anticipate so much traffic at 7am, car was crawling in 1st gear for a good 20mins. Agree with GTO about the highway, its not the same as before but its not that bad! Drove directly to Saptashrungi Temple which is 2hrs further away from Nashik. While returning yesterday, Nashik (Radisson Blu - best hotel in Nashik!) to Malad took just 3hrs! Absolutely zero traffic even at Bhiwandi, maybe due to Holi.
Old 29th April 2024, 12:38   #130
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Nashik : Route Queries

What is the best time to start from Mumbai to join Samruddhi Mahamarg at Igatpuri?
I always get stuck in traffic somewhere after Thane. I was wondering if there is any strategy to beat the traffic jam on this section?
Old 29th April 2024, 15:42   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan47 View Post
What is the best time to start from Mumbai to join Samruddhi Mahamarg at Igatpuri?
I always get stuck in traffic somewhere after Thane. I was wondering if there is any strategy to beat the traffic jam on this section?
There aren't any good alternatives right now, unfortunately. The constant widening work on the Bhiwandi bypass and the usual heavy traffic on that stretch always slow things down. In fact, I haven't seen traffic moving fast there in the past year and a half.

Traffic might only flow smoothly on this route once the Nagpur-Mumbai Expressway is finished up to Amne and properly connected to the Virar-Panvel section of the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway. That's when we can expect to see some decent speeds again.
samdarshi.pali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 18:33   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan47 View Post
If you can, start at 6 am (before the typical daily traffic kicks in) it should be a breeze going through. Have done mumbai nashik in 4 hrs easily by starting early.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks