Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 11:36   #1
BHPian

Suggest a place or an area in Himachal Pradesh for 4 - 5 days?

Hello,

Suggest me a place to visit for 4-5 days in Himachal during the first week of Dec.It'll be first trip with my wife after marriage(Getting married in Nov end),so lets call it Honeymoon.

I'll be starting my journey from Anandpur sahib, It's a town located on Punjab and HP border.

I have these three areas in my mind:-
  1. Kangra valley(Dharmshala,Mcldganj,Naddi,Palmpur,Dalhouise )
  2. Manali area(Mandi, kullu, Manali)
  3. Smila,Chail, Narkanda, Sarahan
I have traveled to kangra valley(During my stint in sales profession)but the stay was for a day or two.I have stayed in Naddi for a night and enjoyed it a lot(hotel, food and service wasn't good), later on I come to know there are few cottages too,which are available on rent.I have no exact info about those huts though.

I have been to Simla and manali too, but in early years to life.I am not keen for Simla strech as the place is over crowded.
I would prefer a place or area which is clean and beautiful and quite as compared to simla and manali.

If there is any better options, plz do share.
Plz suggest.
Old 7th November 2009, 12:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have connections book the PSEB (yes Punjab Electricity Board) old guest house at Barot, Near Jagjit Nagar, Himachal.

Here Uul river is diverted in to race tunnel for Jagjit Nagar hydel project. Ideal to me. But this is matter of personal preference.
Old 7th November 2009, 12:20   #3
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Simla is too crowded indeed but places like Thanedar, Chail and Narkanda are beautiful and are close to Simla. Other places around are Shoghi and Kasauli that are very quiet and scenic.
Even Manali is over-crowded these days but Dalhousie-Chamba makes sense. Dalhousie infact is really nice.
Old 7th November 2009, 12:20   #4
BHPian

Pal,

I suggest you go to Dalhousie and Khajjair.

We had been to Dalhousie ten years ago when we got married in the April of 1998 and we simply loved the experience. Of course, in those days, travel plans were made thanks to HPTDC advice.

We stayed at this HPTDC hotel called Gitanjali and old rustic place and we had this woody room with a very tall ceiling. Quite an exciting experience considering the low city ceilings.

We stayed there for 3 mights and had wonderful crowds-free walks along the ridge roads. The market place was also very nice. There was one small Dhaba like roadside eatery called Shalimar or Sher-e-punjab which had very good gulab jamuns, that we went there three days in row, just to eat them. But hey, we were just married,na and you could end up doing many a crazy thing which you will remember for the rest of your lives.

We also went to Khajjair the swiss bowl and the nice drives there. There is also a zoo and some rock point where Tenzing practised.

Perfect place to spend your time if all you want to do is chill with anything-goes plans with your newly wedded lady .
Cheers.

There is a fabulous hotel near the Gitanjali on the road above and it is in the absolute corner position. The view from that hotel is simply awesome. Check out the travel sites.

Last edited by longford : 7th November 2009 at 12:24. Reason: Update:
Old 7th November 2009, 12:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
If you have connections book the PSEB (yes Punjab Electricity Board) old guest house at Barot, Near Jagjit Nagar, Himachal.

Here Uul river is diverted in to race tunnel for Jagjit Nagar hydel project. Ideal to me. But this is matter of personal preference.
Is it on simla route?dagsahi is around?I have no connections in PSEB, I have few good connections in BBMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Simla is too crowded indeed but places like Thanedar, Chail and Narkanda are beautiful and are close to Simla. Other places around are Shoghi and Kasauli that are very quiet and scenic.
Even Manali is over-crowded these days but Dalhousie-Chamba makes sense. Dalhousie infact is really nice.
I am inclined to go to a place where minimal of travel is required. I was thinking of doing Kangra-Dharmshala-Dalhouise route.But this will require a bit of travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Pal,

I suggest you go to Dalhousie and Khajjair.

We had been to Dalhousie ten years ago when we got married in the April of 1998 and we simply loved the experience. Of course, in those days, travel plans were made thanks to HPTDC advice.

We stayed at this HPTDC hotel called Gitanjali and old rustic place and we had this woody room with a very tall ceiling. Quite an exciting experience considering the low city ceilings.

We stayed there for 3 mights and had wonderful crowds-free walks along the ridge roads. The market place was also very nice. There was one small Dhaba like roadside eatery called Shalimar or Sher-e-punjab which had very good gulab jamuns, that we went there three days in row, just to eat them. But hey, we were just married,na and you could end up doing many a crazy thing which you will remember for the rest of your lives.

We also went to Khajjair the swiss bowl and the nice drives there. There is also a zoo and some rock point where Tenzing practised.

Perfect place to spend your time if all you want to do is chill with anything-goes plans with your newly wedded lady .
Cheers.

There is a fabulous hotel near the Gitanjali on the road above and it is in the absolute corner position. The view from that hotel is simply awesome. Check out the travel sites.
One of my friend visited Khajjiar 5-6 months back,He says it's not the same place anymore.I am keen to visit the swiss bowl though, read good things about it.I have never been to dalhouise, so I have no info about it.
Old 7th November 2009, 13:00   #6
BHPian

How many days are required to cover this circuit:-Mcdgunj/Naddi- Dalhouise-Chamba.
or I should do McdGunj/naddi- Dalhouise only?
Old 7th November 2009, 14:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tirthan valley - himalayan trout house anyday - or even the Shoja properties.

There's a place by the river in Ghiyagi (not shringi) which is TOTAL awesome but didn't seem commercial (nor was anyone there to confirm)
Old 7th November 2009, 14:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Barot, the one I am referring, is in Chamba. Read a bit about it here Getting to Barot | Trek Himachal
Old 7th November 2009, 14:58   #9
BHPian

I prefer Dalhouise and Khajjar. Very beautiful places...not very crowded and commercialized. You will love it.
Old 7th November 2009, 19:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Sudev: Barot that you are referring to is not in Chamba, I think the place you are referring to is near to Joginder Nagar on the Palampur-Mandi route. Nice place and it even has a cable car. Plus you can go to billing one of the few places in himachal for para sports.
@Gill from Honeymoon perspective I would suggest 1. Manali and its near abouts (if you prefer a bit of city like feel)
2. Kalpa : In case you like long leisurely walks in thick forests with a bit of a small village thrown in.
3. Sangla: 5 days in wilderness.
4. Karsog: A cold place surrounded by beautiful hills. Just the 2 of you cosy twosome.
Can come with a few more choices if you will tell me the probable dates and whether you will be driving yourself and your wheels. Also what kinda experience are you both looking for?

@gill for the travel route you ahve asked about 5 days are enough at an ok pace.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 7th November 2009 at 19:59.
Old 9th November 2009, 10:47   #11
BHPian

The Tentative dates are 3-7 Dec.I will be driving the car,

I would prefer a place is quite,clam and not too remote(Mobile Network and medical aid becomes a problem in remote areas).Nice cold place 'll be better.
Old 9th November 2009, 21:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev

Is it on simla route?dagsahi is around?I have no connections in PSEB, I have few good connections in BBMB.
This place Barot is near Joginder Nagar as some one mentioned it. If you are driving from delhi, you need to take the Chandigarh - swarghat - bilaspur - mandi route. Theres a Small (very small) place called Ghatasani around 30 km after mandi. You need to take the diversion towards right from there.
Its a beautiful serene place. In case you are the type who likes to avoid mad bristling Tourist spots, this is the place. Hardly any tourists, but a beautiful locale. Try booking any of the PSEB / HPSEB guest houses there. Once you reach the place, you can spend time just enjoying the beautiful December weather, and driving around the place. (The place will be very cold because of all the water reservoirs around and the altitude). Good for aleast 2-3 days.
You can then drive back to ghatasani, and drive on towards kangra valley.
Palampur is around 90 km from barot. You already know the places to see in kangra valley.
My opinion - better than any of the other more popular tourist places.
Old 9th November 2009, 21:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Suggest me a place to visit for 4-5 days in Himachal during the first week of Dec.It'll be first trip with my wife after marriage(Getting married in Nov end),so lets call it Honeymoon.

I'll be starting my journey from Anandpur sahib, It's a town located on Punjab and HP border.

I have these three areas in my mind:-
  1. Kangra valley(Dharmshala,Mcldganj,Naddi,Palmpur,Dalhouise )
  2. Manali area(Mandi, kullu, Manali)
  3. Smila,Chail, Narkanda, Sarahan
I have traveled to kangra valley(During my stint in sales profession)but the stay was for a day or two.I have stayed in Naddi for a night and enjoyed it a lot(hotel, food and service wasn't good), later on I come to know there are few cottages too,which are available on rent.I have no exact info about those huts though.
Getting married, Congratulations!
IMO, Kangra valley will be the best! Don't stay at Mcleodgunj or any other higher altitude place because chill factor might kill the joy!

I've seen couples rushing to Manali after marriage & one of the spouse ( wife in most cases) getting sick.

The ideal place would be somewhere near Palampur, say HPTDC hotel Teabud or some cottage in Naddi area. These places are at low altitudes (1000-1200 above MSL) pleasently warm for December but still get enough chill from mighty Dhauladhar range in the backdrop. So, right kind of cold place you are looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

@ sudev: Jagjit nagar = Joginder Nagar

Quote:
How many days are required to cover this circuit:-Mcdgunj/Naddi- Dalhouise-Chamba.
or I should do McdGunj/naddi- Dalhouise only?
Don't try to cover Chamba - Dalhousie with McdGunj/ naddi in this trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Tirthan valley - himalayan trout house anyday - or even the Shoja properties.

There's a place by the river in Ghiyagi (not shringi) which is TOTAL awesome but didn't seem commercial (nor was anyone there to confirm)
@phamilyman, good place but can be saved for future trips with family

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@Sudev: Barot that you are referring to is not in Chamba, I think the place you are referring to is near to Joginder Nagar on the Palampur-Mandi route.
Yes, you are right about location, but I feel the place isn't for a couple on a honeymoon trip!

Quote:
The Tentative dates are 3-7 Dec.I will be driving the car,
I would prefer a place is quite,clam and not too remote(Mobile Network and medical aid becomes a problem in remote areas).Nice cold place 'll be better.
Ok, D'sala - Shahpur - Banikhet - Dalhousie would take about 5 hours at leisurely driving speeds. Do'nt take Jot route!
Old 9th November 2009, 22:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Gill take Kalpa alongwith Sarahan. Ideal with the winter weather and just the right amount of isolation thrown in for a good measure. Drive time is about 5 hrs from Shimla to Sarahan and about 8 hours to Kalpa. You can deciede to break journey for 2 days at Sarahan. In case you up for it let me know for the route and other details.
Another option can be Rajgarh. Small place but high on the scenic front. About 2 Hrs from Solan.
If not that fond of cold try Renuka Lake. About 4 hours from Chandigarh. You can even cover Renuka for a couple of days in case you return back from Rajgarh through this route.
Junga too is a good option about 2 Hrs from Shimla but nothing much to do there except maybe for 2 days.
Another place wchih comes ot my mind is Sandhasu along the Pabbar river about 2 hours from Rohru. Excellent walks in the nearby forests. Can keep you occupied for about 4 5 days if you are just into your spouse and nature. River side breakfasts and tea and idle time is priceless.
Old 10th November 2009, 18:03   #15
BHPian

Thanks for the wishes, I will search for barot and read about it.
sandhasu seems like an option too.Thanks for suggestions!

naddi and dalhouise are still on the top in the list, I have got options now for new year break:-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks