Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 14:34   #1
BHPian

Weekend Getaways from Pune

Hi

I'm looking for suggestions to visit places from Pune over the weekends with family incl. kids. Suggestions on places to visit and stay are most welcome.

Thanks.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

You may consider following

1. Lonavala + Khandala
2. Mumbai
3. Khadakvasla + Sinhaghad
4. Raighad
5. Murud Janjira
6. Alibaug, Nagaon, Kashid beaches
7. Astavinayak (4 or 5 our of 8 are near by Pune)
8. Nasik, shirdi, shinganapur
9. Aurangabad , Ajanta, Ellora
10. Lavasa,
11. Paud, Warasgaon
12. Purandarghad, Saswad, Khed-Shivapur
13. Wai, Mahabaleshwar
14. Kolhapur

there could be more.
StarVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2009, 14:54   #3
BHPian

Weekend..Mahabaleshwar is the place to be. It is 2 hrs by road (120 km) If you want quiet and peace you should stay at The Dina. Other options are Brightlands or Fountain Hotel. Fountain may be vegetarian only however.
Old 24th November 2009, 14:28   #4
BHPian

Visit this link for weekend gateways from Pune

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#800080]http://weekend.travelplans.googlepages.com/home[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]-Sandeep[/FONT]
Old 24th November 2009, 16:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

The best site for details of various places around Pune is this -

Pune | Around Pune | Picnic Spots | Hill Stations | Temples | Forts | Holiday resorts

Are you looking for some off beat places? In that case, I have a list handy.....
Old 25th November 2009, 11:34   #6
BHPian

What are your preferences? Beaches or Mountains? Calm, quiet or lots of things to do?
If its the former, any beach in Konkan will do! Just back from Murud-Karde and it is a very good..if you like crowded/more alive places, go for Mahabaleshwar or Panchgani.

vrprabhu, how about mentioning some of those off-beat places? I would like to know some of those
Old 25th November 2009, 12:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
vrprabhu, how about mentioning some of those off-beat places? I would like to know some of those
Interested in seeing birds - the feathered ones, that is ! Well, you can see flamingoes and siberian cranes in "amchi pune" - near Bhigwan on the Bhima River. (We - a small circle of friends - are planning for a trip some time in the second week of December. If you are interested let me know.)

Have you seen Bedse? Near Kale Colony on the Old Mumbai Pune Road? Recollect the Bedse Tunnel on the Expressway? That is the place. People throng to Karla and Bhaje caves, but Bedse is almost virgin territory. There are steps to climb up, and you can have a peaceful day there - best time to go is the morning, when the sun will shine down and light up the caves.

A trek up Duke's Nose (near Lonavala) is also worth a trip - it is a moderate climb and you have wonderful view. You can see the train chugging in / out of Khandala tunnel - worth a trip.

If you live driving (2 wheeler especially) then a trip to Bhor Ghat (Mandar Devi Temple and Bhatgar Dam) is an enjoyable tour - awesome ghat section and pristine mountains.

If you want to go a little further, "Kas Talav" near Satara is worth visiting. See the picture - the water literally reflects the surrounding area! So serene..

PS - Just like the rules in this forum, we too have our own. No boozing. No howling. Don't be a nuisance. No littering. Enjoy native food. - that's why we try to go to offbeat places!
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend Getaways from Pune-img_0261.jpg  

Old 25th November 2009, 12:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
near Bhigwan on the Bhima River.

Have you seen Bedse? .

A trek up Duke's Nose (near Lonavala)

a trip to Bhor Ghat (Mandar Devi Temple and Bhatgar Dam)

"Kas Talav" near Satara is worth visiting.
add to that list,

1] mayureshwar wildlife sanctuary near morgaon.[ lot of chinkara, jackel]
2] bhuleshwar near yavat on solapur road
3] baneshwar near nasrapur on velha road.
4] rehkuri sanctuary after bhigwan at rashin on karjat road.
5]
Old 25th November 2009, 13:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Since the idea is for a family vacation, I am suggesting only spots with all facilities.

1. Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani - I have driven 28 times to these two hill stations, but still captivated by it. In fact I am planning for a drive next week for my wifey's birthday!

2. Kashid and Murud Janjira beaches - Very pristine and less crowded at this time of the year. Local cuisine is excellent.

3. Diveagar and Shrivardhan beaches - not crowded at all and cool too. Beautiful in every sense. Last visited in June.

4. Bhandardara - excellent location for relaxing. Nothing much to do. MH's highest peak is situated there. MTDC has a resort there.

5. Nasik Vineyards - staying in a vineyard is an experience beyond compare. There are some vineyards which offer free wine tasting also. Food is brilliant.

6. Malshej ghat - superb natural beauty. MTDC runs a resort there. Great for relaxation.

7. Amboli - beautiful hill station, but a bit far.

8. Matheran - a hill station with no vehicles. One has to hire a horse or a hand pulled cart to go uphill from the vehicle parking area.

9. Ganapatipule - another pristine beach. Near to Kolhapur.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:19   #10
BHPian

Matheran is one I would definitely recommend. Much better than Mahabaleshwar IMO.

vrprabhu, nice list, would be interested, if I'm free then will PM you for details.
have already been to Kaas lake in this monsoon and just did that Bhor/Bhatghar section yesterday morning! (on my way back from Murud-Karde)!
Old 25th November 2009, 14:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
have already been to Kaas lake in this monsoon and just did that Bhor/Bhatghar section yesterday morning! (on my way back from Murud-Karde)!
Thunderbird and Bhor - that is a wonderful combo Did you get to see the valley of flowers? When we went they weren't in full bloom and the place has got publicity, so much so that there is lot of junk.

Our friend Pallod has also given nice places to check out.

Have you visited Tulapur? There is a sangam of Bhima and Indrayani Rivers. Nice place. Take the Nagar Road will going and you can loop back to Pune via Alandi. If you have a group, you can take the boat across the river and do some camping..
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend Getaways from Pune-100_2731.jpg  

Old 25th November 2009, 14:55   #12
BHPian

I have not been to Tulapur, neither have I explored much (if any) to the East/NE/SE of Pune. Looking at that photo it looks amazing. Well I did see a lot of flowers at Kaas although I missed the peak bloom by a couple of days. Still was good enough for me since I had not gone their before -)
Old 18th February 2010, 14:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Are you looking for some off beat places? In that case, I have a list handy.....
Replying it after long time. but yes, can you please send the list?

Thanks.
Old 7th January 2014, 15:01   #14
BANNED

Week End Destinations near by Pune

@ Mods

Tried looking for similar thread, in case exists, please merge.

Starting this thread as i am sure everybody is pressed for for some weekend outing nearby pune may be 150 KM max. Not to mention there are few quite famous spots

Karla - Lonavala
Lavasa
Mulshi dam
Kaas - Satara
Morachi Wadi
Narayanpur - Govinda temple
Diveagar (Probably nearest Beach)

Would be helpful to have a consolidated thread.

Please feel free to contribute nearby location you have already visited for everybody's benefit. Added info on route and stay arrangements used would be really useful.

Last edited by idea : 7th January 2014 at 15:29.
Old 7th January 2014, 15:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Week End Destinations near by Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Please feel free to contribute nearby location you have already visited for everybody's benefit. Added info on route and stay arrangements used would be really useful.
http://www.aroundpune.com/

Related website: http://www.abreakplease.com/

Related thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...a-mahalog.html

Disclaimer: I am not associated with either website in any form.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th January 2014 at 15:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks