Team-BHP - Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/69723-cool-drives-within-150-km-bangalore-39.html)

Did anyone visit Muthathi recently? I am wondering if this is a good time to visit Muthathi?

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbus (Post 4927248)
Did anyone visit Muthathi recently? I am wondering if this is a good time to visit Muthathi?

Not heard much about it. But I think it should be a good time. But please watch out for the crowds.

After having a leisurely Saturday, went on a short drive today - Sabbanahalli lake. There were about 5-6 other cars spread across 2 different view points. No crowding and enough space to relax by the lake.

Started at 4 from Bellandur and reached by 5:30PM, just in time for the sunset.

Sabbanahalli, Karnataka 561209
https://maps.app.goo.gl/quz4ELWvJ8CDpM4y7

The Gudibande fort and lake are also in the same area. One can combine all of them together in one trip. A good place to enjoy the sunset and some tea, if you're carrying your flask!

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20201122_115732751.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20201122_115759014.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20201122_120256886.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20201122_121148354.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20201122_122423167.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20201122_122614899.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20201122_123327850.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-pxl_20201122_123710564.jpg

We did two short drives on last 2 weekends

1. Ragihalli State Forest: This is off Bannerghata road, google maps will give you the coordinates. We drove till the end and exited the forest gate, and with guidance from some localities drove through a mud track through a forest stretch, crossed a knee deep stream to join a tar road that connected back to Bannerghata road. We did not spot any wildlife other than monkeys, but heard there is wildlife around including Elephants, Bear, Leopard, Deer etc. There is a big flat rock that offers a good view of the surrounding, but stopping is prohibited and there are forest guards around to enforce it. We carried food and had it in my friend's farm near Bannerghata, I am sure you can find vacant places near the villages to enjoy some packed food. There was a Sree Ramakrishna Misson ashram and one good looking resort with dirt biking and other adventure games (car park was looking crowded, I am unable to recollect the name)

Forest Roads

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20201122_123843.jpg

Big rock where parking is not allowed

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20201122_123902.jpg

2. Maralwadi Dam: Go on Kanakpura road and take the left adjacent to the waterbody at Horahalli. Drive is very scenic and peaceful with no traffic. It is a small reservoir built across Akravathi river. There were few Bangalore cars and bikes, but was hardly crowded. We were again luck to have a friend's farmhouse near by, but there are enough open areas near by and next to the dam to do a picnic.

Maralwadi Dam

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20201129_115628.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img20201130wa0061.jpg

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-20201129_120642.jpg

At the Farm

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img20201130wa0068.jpg

Visited Dabbaguli recently. This is a riverside just on the TN and KA border.

This falls in Tamil Nadu and the last 7 - 10 kms is a offroad strech which will definitely test your skills and your car's ground clearance stupid:

Had to cross forest stretches to reach here and the view was quite serene through the winding roads

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-8.jpeg
Punto enjoying some sunshine

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-7.jpeg

Missus and kiddo having fun dipping their feet

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-1.jpeg

Steeds resting in shade

Beware of monkeys though. Ensure that food is hidden in bags and not visible, else they may try to grab a bite.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-3.jpeg

The sand would remind you of beach.

There were lot of animal feces which tells that elephants and other wild animals wander here a lot.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-2.jpeg

Another shot of the Kaveri River. The other side is Karnataka.
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-4.jpeg

A natural gateway to this serene place

Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-6.jpeg

Quick Stop at Thally Lake on the way back
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-5.jpeg

All in all a well day spent. Do carry your picnic bag (as there are no stores except a small temple) and enjoy the place.
Pro tip : Don't travel on a rainy or just after a rainy day. If you do, make sure you have 4x4.

Last weekend, I paid a visit to Budikote dam with family and friends. The dam is situated near Malur- Bangarpet road in Kolar dist. I started from Bellandur and G-maps took me through Gunjur & Chikka-Tirupathi. Chikka-Tirupathi to Malur road has deteriorated in patches. I had to pass with caution through small hamlets with narrow roads and livestock roaming around. It took me 2 hours to reach the dam. The location showed on the map is not correct; the entrance to the dam is further almost a KM ahead on the right; inside an Irrigation dept. area. There is a narrow road from the entrance gate to the dam, just enough for a 4 wheeler to go through. The area is desolate; hardly any tourist come here. We saw a few local people enjoying fishing. There is enough water in the dam, not sure whether we can go near the water. On my return, I took a longer but better route to Kolar and then back to Bangalore via Old Madras road. A few photos :

Yesterday, we went for a quick getaway to Muthanallur lake near Electronics city with few cousins.

There were 3 cars altogether. Weather was great for an outing - clouds, drizzles, slight chill in the air, rain and sun playing hide and seek.

While on one side of the highway is the concrete jungle that is E-city, but on this side, we were pleasantly surprised with the greenery, agriculture fields and the huge expanse of water in the lake. And all this beauty is tucked within the city limits unknown to us all these days! Approach road off the highway to the lake was also in good condition. We did a mini picnic on the lake bed with whatever food that was packed.

After spending some good amount of time, then there was a collective craving to have bajji-bonda-coffee to warm up for the weather! :D Since the weather was too good for a highway ride too, we had enough reasons to start driving towards Krishnagiri. The drizzles and rains were competing with each other as we drove. The highway and the distant hills made up for a beautiful sight with various shades of grey clouds and occasional sunshine in between. But Krishna Inn was overcrowded and due to rains, there was no outside seating too. Folks were not comfortable getting in. We just had coffee standing outside and returned back to the city as the dark clouds started looming in the sky. Then it started pouring just as we reached home. Hot jalebies and kachories that we got packed from Kota Kachori at Koramangala on the way back, made a good companion for the rains! :)

Having driven to different parts of Bengaluru from past few weeks, for the record, the traffic and the jams have returned back to normalcy with a vengeance. More so in the non-IT regions. The traffic in IT belt is somewhat better comparatively with folks remaining off the roads and also working from their home towns. Gone are those few days of good old B'lore charm of easy moving traffic which was the only silver lining from this pandemic situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mankuthimma (Post 4948689)
Yesterday, we went for a quick getaway to Muthanallur lake near Electronics city with few cousins.

Did you see a lot of people around there? Did it look safe (from the point of view of being mugged, not COVID)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar (Post 4954101)
Did you see a lot of people around there? Did it look safe (from the point of view of being mugged, not COVID)?

When we went, there was no one else except our group. But it is absolutely safe! There are villages nearby and there is constant movement of vehicles on the road adjoining the lake (my last photo). Just before reaching the lake, there is some sports academy with huge fields where there were lot of people playing cricket. It is not an isolated or deserted place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mankuthimma (Post 4954182)
When we went, there was no one else except our group. But it is absolutely safe! There are villages nearby and there is constant movement of vehicles on the road adjoining the lake (my last photo). Just before reaching the lake, there is some sports academy with huge fields where there were lot of people playing cricket. It is not an isolated or deserted place.

Thanks! Planning to go photograph some birds there from the bund and also on the other side where the temple is. Haven't gone there for a couple of years so was wondering if its still safe to carry expensive equipment around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nalin1 (Post 4865183)
Hi guyfrmblr,

When did you take this drive?

I am planning to visit KRS backwaters tomorrow.

Is it worth going there? Are there any restrictions on entry?

Just putting the below info for anyone planning to visit KRS backwaters and Venugopala Swamy temple.

Visited this place yesterday, hoping to have a look at this special temple; returned dissappointed.Though there are no restrictions moving around KRS and along the KRS backwaters, entry to Venugopala Swamy temple is blocked for public, apparently due to Covid. More than 500 people were present at the gates of this beautiful temple, only to be blocked from going further. Not to mention the ignorance of the social distancing/masks norms.
Roads leading to this temple from Brindavan gardens are in pathetic condition and are non existent in some streches. Better to avoid this plan for some time now.

Is the Gunjar Lake safe for dipping toes? No crocodiles inside? My dog may like to go for a swim and I wanted to ensure it is safe for her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidban85 (Post 4958191)
Is the Gunjar Lake safe for dipping toes? No crocodiles inside? My dog may like to go for a swim and I wanted to ensure it is safe for her.

I believe so. My kids had ventured little bit. I had also seen a lady taking a cow for bathing and their dog accompanied them :)

We did a relaxed afternoon drive to Gunjur lake today. Started from Whitefield at 1:30 pm and reached the lake at around 3:15 pm. The roads are not the best. There are lot of rough patches, and broken roads. At the same time, there were some beautiful rural roads, which were pretty smooth.

When we reached there just after the toll, we found the way which would have taken us right to the lake. But what we saw was a rope tied blocking the way to the lake. From the main road, we could see a couple of cars parked near the water. We were pondering what to do next, when we saw couple of other cars pull up and they were also thinking what is happening here. All of a sudden a young girl and her father come up on a bike, the girl gets down and simply unties the rope, and ask her to proceed.

We drove down to the lake side, and were just chilling out, taking pictures, and listening to music. A guy (presumably a local) walks up to us and take out Rs 60 from his pocket and tells me that I need to pay him Rs 50 as fees. I could smell someone out to make a quick buck.

Here is how the conversation went
Me: What do you want?
Local: You need to pay a fees for coming here. Rs 50.
Me: Why exactly?
Local: Because there is a fees
Me: And who are you?
Local: I am the caretaker
Me: Ok, show me your ID.
Local: I don't have an ID
Me: Ok, on your way then.
Local: Why should I show you the ID.
Me: You are asking me for money, so prove me who you are.
Local: Actually this lake is government land, but the approach road is my land, and you need to pay a fees for using it. Thats why I had tied a rope there.
Me: I didn't see a board there.
Local: There is a board, and it says my name, Rajanna something.
Me: Ok prove to me that you are whatever the board says
Local: I am not carrying any ID, but I won't let you go out of here without paying my fees.
Me: See you on my way out of here.

He simply walks away to the next car passed a few meters away. He asks the guys for money, they pay up. Next he walks to the other set of cars, and they don't pay and send him on his way.

After all this we continue doing our stuff there. Few pics -

Thats my Harrier
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_3236.jpeg

Hello stranger -
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_3244.jpeg

Some one having a snack -
Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore-img_3192.jpeg

On our way out, I could see that the guy had put the rope across the path again. At the same time, I saw another car simply taking another way right around the blocked way. I simply took the alternate path and was back on the highway.

Few hundred meters down the road, I see that same guy trying to run onto the highway waving and trying to stop me. Ignored him and simply went on my way.

So for the benefit of other BHPians going to Gunjur, beware of these guys trying to make a fast buck. Do not pay up lest this becomes a permanent feature around this place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garth (Post 4958984)
We did a relaxed afternoon drive to Gunjur lake today. Started from Whitefield at 1:30 pm and reached the lake at around 3:15 pm.

Ah! We too were there. Reached at 5:10pm and parked exactly where you had parked your Harrier. Probably we came just after you left. In a black scorpio.

Hmm, yes the same guy was there and the rope was tied. He untied it the moment we reached there and I felt he is going to ask some money later on. And he did come to where we were parked later on and was collecting 50rs from all. It was quite late (we were there till 6:30pm) and didn't want to risk into getting into an unhealthy conversation at that time while with family. Ended paying 50/-.

By the way, a parallel approach road has been made adjacent to the earlier one, which would help low slung cars compared to the earlier one.

PS: Misuse of the area is seeming to happen. A lot of debris around - tea cups and plastics. At least team bhp-ians visiting there: please carry a garbage bag to carry back the things that you have to dispose off.