Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 06:49   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Best route to visit Srirangapatna, Sivanasamudra & Srirangam (trichy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Folks, me and my family (wife and daughter) did the darsan of all three Ranganathaswamy Temples situated on islands on river Cauvery last weekend.
Here are the details:

Totally missed this post of yours! And it was great to read it even though 2-years late. Come what may some of these interior roads have their own charm to be driven on.

Like you said the Hanur-Antiyur road is good may be for fun/exploration but surely not with family. I just saw on Google. Its about 70km and about 2 hours single lane. Not worth the risk in those ghats. MM Hills anyday would be better.

Also; From Mettur; another option to Sankari can be to cross the river at Mettur itself, head towards Mecheri and then fork out to Iddapadi. Even that's a decent option. Instead of Iddapadi you can also come to Tharamangalam and get on the Omalur-Sankari road. Its truck traffic no no-doubt. But it may not that bad as Iddapadi (just my speculation)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 09:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Thanks, that was very detailed and helpful.

We are planning to do the three-ranga darshana during the end of the year. Can someone please update on the road conditions if you've done this recently?

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Totally missed this post of yours! And it was great to read it even though 2-years late. Come what may some of these interior roads have their own charm to be driven on.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that my post is useful after 2 years!
I did travel around Shivanasamudra and Mecheri/Edappadi in 2 separate trips in September 2021. So here are some updates.

Visited Melkote and Madhyaranga temples on 27th September 2021. Road conditions from Srirangapatna to Bannur has deteriorated since 2019. Many potholes. But doable in daylight if one is careful and at moderate speeds. Bannur-Malavalli-Shivanasamudra is a delight.

Most important update is Madhyaranga temple was under balalayam in September 2021. No priest was at the nearby makeshift temple when we went. Main temple was under repair/reconstruction. So please check with temple authorities before you plan the tri-Ranga trip.

Did Bangalore Coimbatore trip also in September 2021. Roads from Thoppur to Mecheri was very poor full of deep potholes. Roads improved only after Mecheri railway station crossing (overpass is under construction). The above information is not relevant to Tri ranga trip. But following is. Nangavalli - Jalakandapuram - Edappadi bypass was fine and smooth. Edappadi bypass to Sankagiri remains smooth, wide and super scenic. Hotel Vallalar at Sankagiri bypass on NH was closed this time (perhaps Covid effect on business?). So you need to find someplace else near Sankagiri for a food/bio break.

Hope this helps. Please do post your experience if you do make this wonderful trip.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 11:45   #33
BHPian

Anyone did the Srirangapattana - Shivanasamudra - Srirangam route in the current month? How's the road conditions on this loop?

Edit - Specifically I would need help on the best route from Shivanasamudra to Namakkal.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 26th December 2023 at 11:56.
Old 26th December 2023, 12:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Anyone did the Srirangapattana - Shivanasamudra - Srirangam route in the current month? How's the road conditions on this loop?

Edit - Specifically I would need help on the best route from Shivanasamudra to Namakkal.

KK
Quoting myself since the edit time is up -

One route shows - Shivanasamudra - Hanur - Thamarakarai - Anthiyur - Bhavani - Namakkal

Another is - Shivanasamudra - MM Hills - Mettur - Omalur - Salem bypass - Namakkal - Though this route is 30km more than the above, the time is only showing as 5 to 10mins more.

Which one should i opt for? Planning to leave early tomorrow morning from Bangalore.

TIA.
KK
Old 26th December 2023, 22:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Quoting myself since the edit time is up -

One route shows - Shivanasamudra - Hanur - Thamarakarai - Anthiyur - Bhavani - Namakkal

Another is - Shivanasamudra - MM Hills - Mettur - Omalur - Salem bypass - Namakkal - Though this route is 30km more than the above, the time is only showing as 5 to 10mins more.

Which one should i opt for? Planning to leave early tomorrow morning from Bangalore.

TIA.
KK
Here is my 2 cents in general, though i didn't travel exactly in same route, but part of it few months back.

In general, till you reach TN border, roads in KA side are not good, especially in remote areas/village rural , except for very few good stretches but not for good distance. So that you are mentally prepared to drive up in slow speed with potholes.

I would recommend you to take Anthiyur route more than MM Hills, Mettur-Omalur route for 2 reasons.

1) TN Border to Anthiyur to Bhavani and all the way till Namakkal and beyond to SriRangam ( via Thuraiyur route ) should be good. Its more scenic too. Don't take Musiri route towards SriRangam from Namakkal. Look up to Bangalore-Trichy thread for more latest updates.
2) Mettur to Mecheri to NH7 road widening work was going on to add shoulders, hope it would have been complete by now, but not sure. However, once you reach Omalur to Salem is painful to drive due to bridge diversions and irritating traffic (particularly 2W). So in net effect, KA side bad roads, and then road widening work and then heavy traffic will make you more tired and hence its only a 2nd choice.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 18:43   #36
Team-BHP Support

I would any day suggest MM Hills/Mettur option. It’s a known route but goes up and down the MM Hills. But post Salem you can do Thiuraiyur route, which would lead you directly to toll gate.

I had driven on MM Hills to Mettur long back. It’s usually 2-lane decent roads with with minimal traffic till MM hills. Beyond that it’s very less till Mettur. And there on its the usual TN traffic. No idea how the roads have changed these days.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 19:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Here is my 2 cents in general, though i didn't travel exactly in same route, but part of it few months back.

In general, till you reach TN border, roads in KA side are not good, especially in remote areas/village rural , except for very few good stretches but not for good distance. So that you are mentally prepared to drive up in slow speed with potholes.

I would recommend you to take Anthiyur route more than MM Hills, Mettur-Omalur route for 2 reasons.

1) TN Border to Anthiyur to Bhavani and all the way till Namakkal and beyond to SriRangam ( via Thuraiyur route ) should be good. Its more scenic too. Don't take Musiri route towards SriRangam from Namakkal. Look up to Bangalore-Trichy thread for more latest updates.
2) Mettur to Mecheri to NH7 road widening work was going on to add shoulders, hope it would have been complete by now, but not sure. However, once you reach Omalur to Salem is painful to drive due to bridge diversions and irritating traffic (particularly 2W). So in net effect, KA side bad roads, and then road widening work and then heavy traffic will make you more tired and hence its only a 2nd choice.

-Ravi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would any day suggest MM Hills/Mettur option. It’s a known route but goes up and down the MM Hills. But post Salem you can do Thiuraiyur route, which would lead you directly to toll gate.

I had driven on MM Hills to Mettur long back. It’s usually 2-lane decent roads with with minimal traffic till MM hills. Beyond that it’s very less till Mettur. And there on its the usual TN traffic. No idea how the roads have changed these days.

An update on the route and road condition.

Did the Tri Ranga Darshana yesterday and in short very happy to report that i did not possibly have a single bad patch in the entire route i took Yes, you read this right, read along for more info.

After my first message and revert from ravib, i was confused of the route to take and also changed my choice of car from Jetta to Rexton, in hindsight regret making this change as i now want to do this loop on the Jetta

This is the route taken (I have edited some of the roads to show the route i have taken and hopefully this link captures what i have edited).

Best route to visit Srirangapatna, Sivanasamudra & Srirangam (trichy)-gmap-route.png

1. Bangalore to Srirangapattana - Mysore highway, nothing more to talk about.

2. Srigangapattana to Shivanasamudra - via Bannur, Malavalli - Road condition is good

3. Shivanasamudra to Sriragam - I will break this down, since this has different kinds of roads

a. Shivanasamudra to Chamarajanagar 55kms - Single Road, condition is good, nothing to complain, may expect some traffic since it passes via Kollagala & Yelandur.

b.Chamarajanagar to Punajanur 33kms - Single road, mostly forest route which is part of the larger BR Hills forest. Road condition is great, could spot some deer's, which is an icing on the cake in otherwise a temple run.

c. Punajanur to Sathyamangalam (Sathy) 44kms - Single road, again, consists of forest route, but this time on the Tamil Nadu side and enter the Dhimbam ghat & hairpin bends, this was a pleasure to drive, good roads and bends. I took the Rexton on the ghat road for the first time and was pleasantly surprised by its turning capabilities, body rolls were contained very well. I was wishing I had chosen Jetta here.

d. Sathy upto Karur by pass road 122kms - Passing via Kodiveri Waterfalls, Kolappalur, Thingalur, Perundurai by pass and proceeding towards Karur by pass which further merges with NH81. This is the most unexpected and highlight of the drive with most of the route single road (and scenic too) and butter smooth. Really enjoyed driving this route and this is where I thought changing my route was well worth it despite a little higher distance and also missed my Jetta the second time. I would dare to say this piece was more enjoyable than the Anchetty loop i have driven/ ridden which most Bangalore drivers/ riders here can relate to.

e. Karur by pass to Srirangam temple 85kms - NH81, nothing more to say. Even the single road further is good, may find traffic of trucks, quite a lot.

I will take this route again if i am doing this loop, unless I know that it has gone bad.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 28th December 2023 at 19:10.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks