Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 15:55   #1
BHPian

Best route to visit Srirangapatna, Sivanasamudra & Srirangam (trichy)

Hi Guys,
Iam planning to visit the 3 Ranga temples - Adi ranga in Srirangaptna, madhyaranga in Sivanasamudram & antyaranga in Srirangam / trichy.
The temples are on the cauvery river basin.
My planned route is B'lore>srirangapatna>Sivanasamudram>Kollegal>hannu r>Bhavani>tiruchengode>nammakal>musiri>srirangam/trichy.
I have second hand information that the strecth between Hannur to Bhavani on SH175 is a ghat section & risky through thick green forest.
Iam planning to travel in Hyundai-I20.
Please suggest the best route to cover these places and any information on the ghat section.. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:44   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post
My planned route is B'lore>srirangapatna>Sivanasamudram>Kollegal>hannu r>Bhavani>tiruchengode>nammakal>musiri>srirangam/trichy.
I think this route is fine for the places you plan to visit. I would have done the same route.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

The route seems to be ok. Just check the srirangapatna and shivanasamudra route. Last time when i went over that stretch i had encountered a bad patch(although just 15-20kms). So just check or wait until others chip in with their ideas
Old 26th November 2009, 17:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

There are no Best route options for your route :-| Unless you decide to head back to Bangalore and take the Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Trichy route.

If you do the Kollegal - Hannur - Bhavani route please let us know... Its through thick forests as you said and nobody seems to have done this route at all. I think the stretch is Kollegal - Hannur - Kolathur - Mettur - Bhavani. or
Kollegal - Hannur - Bargur - Andhiyur - Bhavani.

If you are with a family, I suggest you don't try this out as basically we don't know the condition of the road and its a risk.

This could be ok:

Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Hasanur - Thimbam - Banneri - Sathymangalam - Athani - Anthiyur - Bhavani - Tiruchengode - Nammakal - Trichy.

The Kollegal - Chamrajnagar route is NH. However the road condition is not that great. Its one of the shortest routes to get to TN from Bangalore but its never been in good condition. Chamrajnagar - Hasanur - Thimbam is through thick forest but road conditions are ok. Once you cross into TN road conditions get better. You also have to do a ghat section to get down from Thimbam towards Banneri.

The only other option is to go back to Bangalore and take the usual route to Trichy.

Hope this helps.
Old 5th January 2011, 22:44   #5
BHPian

Re: Best route to visit Srirangapatna, Sivanasamudra & Srirangam (trichy)

I am planning to do this whirlwind visit over the weekend. Any updates on the road ? There seem to be 2 options really from Shivanasamudra to Srirangam.

1. Shivanasamudra-Kollegal-Hanur-MM Hills-Kolathur-Mettur-Mecheri-Omalur-Salem-Namakkal-Srirangam - 323 Km
2. Shivanasamudra-Kollegal-Hanur-Muthuchettiyur-Bargur-Bhavani-Namakkal-Srirangam - 292 Km

Any suggestions which one is better?
We are going in a Tempo Traveller.

-Thanks
Bullfrog
Old 6th January 2011, 06:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
I am planning to do this whirlwind visit over the weekend. Any updates on the road ? There seem to be 2 options really from Shivanasamudra to Srirangam.

1. Shivanasamudra-Kollegal-Hanur-MM Hills-Kolathur-Mettur-Mecheri-Omalur-Salem-Namakkal-Srirangam - 323 Km
2. Shivanasamudra-Kollegal-Hanur-Muthuchettiyur-Bargur-Bhavani-Namakkal-Srirangam - 292 Km

-Thanks
Bullfrog
Check with Jeev Menon who did one of them viz. via Hannur-Mettur.
As per what I remember, the roads were pretty bad.'

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...es-mysore.html
Old 6th January 2011, 09:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post

-Thanks
Bullfrog
I would stick to the route suggested by csenthil in an earlier post:
Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Hasanur - Dhimbam - Bannari - Sathymangalam - Athani - Anthiyur - Bhavani - Tiruchengode - Nammakal - Trichy.

However, since I hear that the Sathy-Bhavani road is not in good shape, you should go from Sathy to Annur, connect with NH47 at Avinashi and go via Erode to Tiruchengode & Namkkal. From Namakkal, do not take the Musiri route which has bad roads, take the route via Thuraiyur instead.

I would not suggest the Hanur-Kolathur-Mettur route for a Temp Traveller since that is a jungle road - with forest check posts - and indifferent road in some places.
Old 6th January 2011, 18:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

I did not notice the Temo Traveller part. As per what HVK said, it perfectly does not make sense to go via the Hannur route. Go via Dimbam.

Also note that once you leave Mysore absolutely no places for break till you hit Bhavani. Mostly villages/small towns.

Last edited by ampere : 6th January 2011 at 18:52.
Old 5th December 2017, 22:14   #9
BHPian

Reviving a old thread
I plan the same trip to visit the 3 Ranga temples - Adi ranga in Srirangaptna, madhyaranga in Sivanasamudram & antyaranga in Srirangam / trichy sometime end of Dec 2017. Any suggestions on which route should I opt.
Old 5th December 2017, 23:41   #10
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Any suggestions on which route should I opt.
Sector 1 Bangalore-Srirangaptna:
Bangalore-Channapatna-Mandya-Srirangapatna (Bangalore-Mysore road NH 275 route). Start early if using this route and factor in holidays and weekends when choosing this route
OR
Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Srirangapatna

Sector 2 Srirangapatna-Bannur-Malavalli-Shivanasamudra
OR
Srirangapatna-Bannur-T Narasipura-Shivanasamudra (not sure about current road conditions from Bannur onwards on this route)

Sector 3 Shivanasamudra-Trichy
Shivanasamudra-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Annur-Trichy ?

This sector I'm not really sure on best routing, so others like ampere will know better

Last edited by NPV : 5th December 2017 at 23:44.
Old 6th December 2017, 00:07   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Reviving a old thread
I plan the same trip to visit the 3 Ranga temples - Adi ranga in Srirangaptna, madhyaranga in Sivanasamudram & antyaranga in Srirangam / trichy sometime end of Dec 2017. Any suggestions on which route should I opt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Sector 3 Shivanasamudra-Trichy
Shivanasamudra-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Annur-Trichy ?

This sector I'm not really sure on best routing, so others like ampere will know better
Shivanasamudra-Kollegal-MM Hills-Mettur-Salem-Trichy

MM Hills sectors has some ghats and hairpins. But the roads are good. No facilities though. We were there last year. It was quite good then.

An extra prize: You can chose to visit the MM Hills temple as well.

Last edited by ampere : 6th December 2017 at 00:09.
Old 6th December 2017, 07:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

To add to the previous point:

Avoid Salem thanks to construction. You can do:

Kollegal-MM Hills-Mettur-Bhavani-Erode-Karur-Trichy

Good roads all the way and no traffic. The other option like NPV mentioned, take the Dimbam option come to Satyamangalam and there on take the road to Karur via Gobi/Perundurai.

Option 1: MM Hills Mettur
Option 2: Dimbam/Sathymangalam
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 08:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

As NPV suggested start early to reach SR Patna, then take the Sector 2 route to Shivanasamudra. Take the second option suggested by ampere via Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Sathy from Shivanasamudra to Srirangam. Expect mild traffic from Bannur to Malavalli if traveling on a weekday, road work is in progress around Kollegala and CR Nagar, expect a possibility of a slowdown. I am a frequent traveler to Chamarajanagar, so avoid taking Yelandur route to CR Nagar. Try to complete the darshan at Madhyaranga by 11:00 am. The best place to take a break is at DC Office Canteen, CR Nagar, else New Bhagya Hotel on Nanjangud road. There is a Reliance fuel station in CR Nagar for refueling, they accept credit cards.

Last edited by deehunk : 6th December 2017 at 08:51.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 08:46   #14
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
There is a good vegetarian canteen in DC Office, CR Nagar. I would suggest this for a break.
Or Nijaguna Resorts at Chamarajanagar, service is tad slow, but the facilities (restrooms for example) are better especially if traveling with family.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 15:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ampere - Are there roads from MM Hills to Bhavani without touching Chamarajnagar, dhimbam section ? I really didn't know this and would love to explore this sometime soon.

Most Viewed