Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2009, 21:37   #1
BHPian

Info needed to plan Jaisalmer / Mt Abu / Udaipur trip

Hello All,
I need help to plan for a 9 day road trip to Jaisalmer/Mt Abu/Udaipur from Pune. If possible - this would be during Christmas school vacations, otherwise some other time in near future.

Would appreciate your feedback on every aspect of the trip: feasibility, Sequence in which these places should be visited, routes, places to stay, places to see, places to eat, places to shop, specific(equipments to carry for star gazing etc):

Pls consider following constraints/notes considering the amount on of distances to be covered in 9 days:
1) I would be the only driver, can/want-to do upto 600 - 700 kms on good roads (NH4, expressways). I think this would be requird at least 3-4 times in 9 days
2) I would want to take a proper nights' sleep while on road. Hence avoid driving around 11/12pm to 5/6am.

Thanks
Regards
Old 7th December 2009, 15:37   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
Hello All,
I need help to plan for a 9 day road trip to Jaisalmer/Mt Abu/Udaipur from Pune. If possible - this would be during Christmas school vacations, otherwise some other time in near future.

Would appreciate your feedback on every aspect of the trip: feasibility, Sequence in which these places should be visited, routes, places to stay, places to see, places to eat, places to shop, specific(equipments to carry for star gazing etc):

Pls consider following constraints/notes considering the amount on of distances to be covered in 9 days:
1) I would be the only driver, can/want-to do upto 600 - 700 kms on good roads (NH4, expressways). I think this would be requird at least 3-4 times in 9 days
2) I would want to take a proper nights' sleep while on road. Hence avoid driving around 11/12pm to 5/6am.

Thanks
Regards
Oh! Vow. Tum bhi Nissan biradhari ke ho from the US. And going to Jaisalmer side as well. Quite a co-incidence.

Just made a 15 day trip from mumbai to Udaipur-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer and back on Dec 2. Got a lot of data over and above what was already logged by hvkumar and lightinin. Data still in raw condition in my notebook and still not been able to put them in a excel/doc.

Still not found enough time to upload the pics, write the blogs yet, but will PM you my number. Give me a call and give you the requisite details on phone.
Old 14th October 2010, 20:39   #3
BHPian

Apologies - I did not update this. This trip was cancelled. In fact same happened for this years Christmas plan to JK!!!
Old 27th December 2011, 08:58   #4
buz
BHPian

Jaisalmer to mt abu

Hi,

I am travelling from jaisalmer to Mt abu on dec 30. Plan to take nh15 till sanchor and then take a left on sh11 and then continue on till sh27 to abu. Just wanted to get some updates from tbhp members on the road conditions and if this is a good route to take. Or whether I should take nh15 and nh14 instead (longer, better? route). What in your assessment would be the approximate travel time for this journey assuming a day drive? Look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks.

Attn mods: please transfer to right forum if required. Couldnt do so since I am texting through the mobile app.
Old 27th December 2011, 09:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jaisalmer to mt abu

I would suggest you take the Sanchore-Disa-Palanpur-Abu Road route, which is fine, except for some bad sections around Sanchor.

You should take 8-10 hours from Jaisalmer to Mt Abu
Old 27th December 2011, 09:35   #6
buz
BHPian

Would sanchor to disa be via tharad? I remember it being mentioned in some thread that the route via tharad was better than the one via dhanera. Also the entire route of jaisalmer-sanchor-third-disa-palanpur-Mt abu is about 525 kms. What stretches do you think we can comfortably speed up on if we are to complete the journey in 8-10 hrs? Is the Mt abu road (nh14) a well frequented road in case we reach there post sundown?
Old 27th December 2011, 09:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

There are 2 ways to get from Sanchore to Disa, but I have no update on condition of either road. I would suggest you ascertain that locally after you reach Sanchore.

The roads are all super-fast and you can do maximum speeds that you are comfortable with.

No problems with the Mt Abu road either, but I guess you may face fog late in the evening as you climb up the ghats from Abu Road to Mt Abu.
Old 27th December 2011, 09:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

HVK , If he has to go from Sanchore to Disa & then to Palanpur , Can he instead try via Jodhpur , Sirohi ?

Quote:
jaisalmer-sanchor-third-disa-palanpur-Mt abu What stretches do you think we can comfortably speed up on if we are to complete the journey in 8-10 hrs?
I have experience on - Palanpur - AbuRoad - you can drive at whatever speed you or your car is capable to ! My personal best is 2** + on these stretches

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th December 2011 at 10:12.
Old 27th December 2011, 10:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
HVK , If he has to go from Sanchore to Disa & then to Palanpur , Can he tryvia Jodhpur , Sirohi ?
The disadvantage of the Jodhpur-Sirohi route is that you have to navigate the busy Jodhpur region, travel on some narrow (and uneven surface) highly trafficked roads through Sirohi to reach Abu Road. On the other hand, the Barmer-Sanchore-Palanpur route is an unmitigated delight to drive in, being uncluttered (the only large town Barmer has got an excellent bypass), very fast, gives you some great desert landscapes and all along is on wide roads.

Another option - the shortest - is to take Barmer-Jalore-Sirohi route which I am told is a good road, but cannot say for sure. A resident of Jalore told me last week that this road is a good one, but I have always learnt to take "local" news with a pinch of salt - their definition of "good" roads may conflict with our ours and they may or may not have actually driven their own cars on that road.
Old 27th December 2011, 10:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have traveled this stretch from Jaisalmer to Ahmedabad January this year.
Jaisalmer-Sanchore excellent roads.
The last stretch of about 10kms near the border of Gujarat is with potholes.
Tharad-Disa-Palanpur excellent roads.
Sanchore-Dhanera-Disa seems to be bad according to my local enquiry at Sanchore when I
stopped for dinner.
Old 27th December 2011, 11:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Would sanchor to disa be via tharad? I remember it being mentioned in some thread that the route via tharad was better than the one via dhanera. Also the entire route of jaisalmer-sanchor-third-disa-palanpur-Mt abu is about 525 kms. What stretches do you think we can comfortably speed up on if we are to complete the journey in 8-10 hrs? Is the Mt abu road (nh14) a well frequented road in case we reach there post sundown?
Take the Sanchor-Tharad-Disa-Palanpur-Abu route.Roads are excellent.NH15 is lonely between Jaisalmer all the way till Sanchor.So be sure to do the stretch during daytime.No problems with road.The only decent eating place is after Barmer town on your right,opp an Indian Oil pump.Other than that eating places are virtually non-existent on the route.But its a superfast route.
Old 28th December 2011, 22:17   #12
BHPian

Re: Info needed to plan Jaisalmer / Mt Abu / Udaipur trip

Is it too late to advise? well, for whatever its worth- junk Mt Abu.
Drive to Udaipur, and onward via Sirohi-Pali to Jodhpur and then do the wonderful drive across the Army firing ranges of Pokhran to Jaisalmer. From Jaisalmer, drive to the border (due north west direction) to the temple at Tanot and if your hotel can arrange for someone to help you to Longewala. You will really enjoy the experience of driving along the Indian border with Pakistan.
The do the drive back via Barmer- tolerate the poor connection between Guj and Rajasthan at the border area- but it will be a good road again from Ahmedabad to Baroda and back to Pune.
Please do give Tanot and Longewala a try.

KD
Old 28th December 2011, 23:24   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: Info needed to plan Jaisalmer / Mt Abu / Udaipur trip

Slightly off topic but relevant. Please do not miss out eating in a restaurant - Hollywood Bollywood in Mount Abu.

Extremely nice food at extremely reasonable prices. Its located in the main market, just about a 100m from the petrol pump roundabout. AWESOME daal, is what I can instantly recall. But I remember having 5-6 consecutive meals there, after being disappointed with majority of other outlets - including some Chacha Restaurant which looks like its a great place, but the food sucks.
Old 15th April 2012, 21:58   #14
BHPian

Trip to Jaisalmer in summer in a Swift Dzire

Would it be possible (advisable ) to drive to Jaisalmer during May from Mumbai? Any special precautions to be taken.
Old 16th April 2012, 11:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trip to Jaisalmer in summer in a Swift Dzire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainthreat View Post
Would it be possible (advisable ) to drive to Jaisalmer during May from Mumbai? Any special precautions to be taken.
Very much possible.Would be super hot in J'mer though-am sure you have considered that.

Route:BOM-NH8-Surat-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Mehsana-Palanpur-Disa-Tharad(do not go via Dhanera)-Sanchore-Barmer-Jaisalmer.

BOM-AMD 7hour
AMD-Jaisalmer 10hours

Best and only place to stop on nH15 ---Good Hall opp BP COCO at Barmer.

Good BP COCOs at Ahmedabad,Sanchore,Barmer.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed