Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 11:57   #1
BHPian

Delhi to Diu. Help Required

I am planning a trip to Diu this new year. Would appreciate any help about the routes information, thinigs to do etc.

Duration 5-6 days including travel time. I know the route till ahmedabad (goes through udaipur), but a little confused after that. Also is it possible to reach ahmedabad in a single day drive from delhi and have a stopover before i start for diu the next morning?
Old 15th December 2009, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Best idea is to skip Ahmedabad and come on the following route:
Delhi-Jaipur-Bhilwara-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Pindwara-Abu Road-Palanpur-Radhanpur-Samkhiyari-Maliya-Morbi-Wankaner-Rajkot-Amreli-Diu.

The advanatge is you can take advantage of the East-West corridor road from Udaipur, and see vast parts of the Rann of Kutch between Radhanpur and Maliya.

Let me caution you that the last 50 kms leading to Una/Diu are in a very bad shape.

You can easily reach Ahmedabad in 1 day from Delhi (12-15 hours driving time). From Amedabad, you take the superb highway to Rajkot. Alternatively, you can also go via Bhavnagar to Diu.

Last edited by hvkumar : 15th December 2009 at 13:05.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:42   #3
BHPian

Thanks hv. The root suggested by you seems interesting. Now since i have my wife and kid traveling along with me. I will have to take a night halt somewhere. which place would you suggest for the halt.

Last time when i visited mount abu from Udaipur, roads were under construction. Can you confirm the roads are fully built up.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

The road is now built and in great form.
Apart from Udaipur, I would suggest Palanpur as a night halt. Abu Road also has good hotels. However, if you are running slower, you can halt at either Chittorgarh (Hotel Padmini, RTDC Hotel Panna) or Udaipur.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:35   #5
BHPian

Hey following route from ahmedabad will be good, if you are interested to go direct to Diu only.

Ahmedabad - Bagodara - Dhanduka - Vallabhipur - Bhavnagar - Talaja - Mahuva - Una - Diu

In above, you can keep using NH8 till Bagodara and from there take SH to Bhavnagar. It will be some what around 400 km from A'bad to Diu.

Also, while returning, you can take another very interesting route. From Diu go to Junagadh thru Gir Forest (via a place called Tulsishyam). From Junagadh it's NH8 again to Ahmedabad via Gondal - Rajkot - Limdi - Ahmedabad.

Pradip.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hey following route from ahmedabad will be good, if you are interested to go direct to Diu only.

Ahmedabad - Bagodara - Dhanduka - Vallabhipur - Bhavnagar - Talaja - Mahuva - Una - Diu

In above, you can keep using NH8 till Bagodara and from there take SH to Bhavnagar. It will be some what around 400 km from A'bad to Diu.

Also, while returning, you can take another very interesting route. From Diu go to Junagadh thru Gir Forest (via a place called Tulsishyam). From Junagadh it's NH8 again to Ahmedabad via Gondal - Rajkot - Limdi - Ahmedabad.

Pradip.
I would suggest taking Route 2 since the road between Mahua and Una is in a bad shape currently.

My suggestion would be to go from Diu towards Somanath and Veraval, then taking the East-West Corridor road from there via Junagadh to Rajkot.
Old 15th December 2009, 17:00   #7
BHPian

Acco at Diu

I know you havent invited suggestions for this, but I would strongly recommend staying at Resort Hoka (The Resort Hoka - India) in Diu. It is close to Nagoa beach and an ideal place for a family vacation. I had been there in the summer of 2007 with my parents and one other family (we were 7 in all). Had very good fun!
Old 15th December 2009, 17:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I am planning a trip to Diu this new year. Duration 5-6 days including travel time. I know the route till ahmedabad (goes through udaipur), but a little confused after that. Also is it possible to reach ahmedabad in a single day drive from delhi and have a stopover before i start for diu the next morning?
Reaching Ahmedabad is very much do-able in 12 hours as HVK said. On my trip to Diu (Diu pictures from india photos on webshots), my night stop was at a relative's place at Vadodara (time for Delhi to Vadodara = 12.5 hours), in October 2007. The subsequent route was via Borsad, Lothal (I wanted to visit the place) and Bhavnagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Delhi-Jaipur-Bhilwara-Chittorgarh-Udaipur-Pindwara-Abu Road-Palanpur-Radhanpur-Samkhiyari-Maliya-Morbi-Wankaner-Rajkot-Amreli-Diu.
You can easily reach Ahmedabad in 1 day from Delhi (12-15 hours driving time). From Amedabad, you take the superb highway to Rajkot. Alternatively, you can also go via Bhavnagar to Diu.
HVK: the route you describe is also terrific, with low traffic. NH76 is brand new dual carriageway, and the last I knew was in May '09, on my way back from Mt. Abu. There was one section of about 2 km which was not complete, and the road was diverted and in bad condition. Apart from that, the run is great. I would suggest a stopover for the night at Abu Road or Palanpur.

On this route, the via Rajkot approach is best, and there is no point in diverting to Bhavnagar. Via Bhavnagar is an option if approaching through Ahmedabad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Let me caution you that the last 50 kms leading to Una/Diu are in a very bad shape.
Oh yes - that's been horrible for so many years! 1st and 2nd gear roads, never over 30km/h! I've known it to be that way even in 1995, and it was quite a shock to see it the same again in 2007. Seems a political tussle between the ruling government in Gujarat and the local folks who are not pro the current government, leaves the road in this state.

Quote:
Would appreciate any help about ...thinigs to do etc.
Well, Diu is a mighty small island, and you could pretty much choose which direction you want to stare into the sea! We did our bit of staring across Nagoa beach. Apart from all the beaches (with boat and water-scooter rides, even parasailing),
Delhi to Diu. Help Required-ddd-diu-114.jpg
you could visit the fort and the few churches. The sea-shell museum is a private collection of an ex-sailor, and chatting him up would be a good experience (though he doesn't want you to photograph his collection - and some say he illegally collected some rare species from places he wasn't allowed to). The seafood was one of the highlights of our trip, esp. prawns. And of course, people from Gujarat flock there in hordes for consuming that which is not to be mentioned on this forum.

So if you are headed that way at the end of the year or on a weekend, please make triple sure that you have confirmed reservations with a hotel. The hotel we stayed at was reasonably priced, and decent enough except for the awsomely decorated ceiling (not visible at night with the lights switched off ). Here's the contact info if you need it.
Delhi to Diu. Help Required-ddd-diu-96.jpg
Going to Somnath if you are religiously inclined may be an option. That, combined with a trip to Sasan Gir(Sasan Gir/ Gir Forest pictures from india photos on webshots) can account for a full day. Else just chill out at Diu itself!
Old 16th December 2009, 18:04   #9
BHPian

This is why i love T-Bhp. Thanks to all of you. I would let you know whats my finale plan. Most probably i would be skipping run of kutch and follow ahmedabad route. with an overnight stay there.
Planning to stay in radhika beach resort in Diu.

Any suggestion of hotels enroute in ahmedabad?

PS: Tomorrow i am going to service my safari with peronas urania engine oil and get ready for the trip
Old 16th December 2009, 21:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to stay in radhika beach resort in Diu.

Any suggestion of hotels enroute in ahmedabad?
Yes, Radhika is just 20 m from the Nagoa Beach, across the road from the hotel I'd mentioned. Nice resort.
Delhi to Diu. Help Required-radhika.jpg

A couple of no-frills decent hotels in Ahmedabad, both inside the city.
  • Hotel Aram - 079-26585525
  • Hotel Maruti - 079-26589871
You might prefer to stay in a hotel on the highway itself. It might be a good idea to PM ramkya1 for suggestions.
Old 16th December 2009, 21:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

AS you approach Ahmedabad on NH8, 44 kms after Himmatnagar, you will see Hotel Anjali on the left hand side. It is a decent place. Some of my friends have stayed here and they were satisfied. Rooms cost under Rs 1000. 7 kms further down the road is the Chiloda Circle where you intersect the Sardar Patel Ring Road.
Old 17th December 2009, 12:37   #12
BHPian

Ahmedabad-Diu

Quote:
I am planning a trip to Diu this new year. Would appreciate any help about the routes information, thinigs to do etc.

Duration 5-6 days including travel time. I know the route till ahmedabad (goes through udaipur), but a little confused after that. Also is it possible to reach ahmedabad in a single day drive from delhi and have a stopover before i start for diu the next morning?
abbey4u,

I suggest following route from Ahmedabad to Diu

Ahmedabad-Rajkot around 240 Km. Very good 4-lane road.
Rajkot-Junagadh (~100Km Good road, Mix of 4 and 2 lane road)
Junagadh-Keshod-Veraval (~80Km, good 2 lane road with small bad patches not more than a Km)
Veraval-Kodinar (~40Km 2 lane good road)
Kodinar - Diu (~45Km 2lane road avg road with small bad stretch)

remember to take right from Kesariya between Kodinar to diu. Kesariya is about 22Km from Kodinar. Missing this right means u'll land-Up at Una & have to suffer from Una-Diu Bad stretch.

With this route U'll be able to bypass amreli-Una-Diu bad stretches.

Another route GSTC Buses follows are Ahmedabad-Bhavnagar-Mahuva-Una-Diu. Though distance is little less, I think road condition from bhavnagar to Una-Diu(~230Km) is not great, not travelled recently on that route but suggest to avoid.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Sandip
Old 30th January 2010, 15:34   #13
BHPian

@ abbey4u. Did you take up this trip? If yes, pl share your experiences about the route taken, places visited and acommodation. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Duration 5-6 days including travel time. ..
Old 7th March 2011, 12:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi to Diu. Help Required

Hey Guys
The time is coming close for my family vacation and thats the reason for bringing up this old thread.

I am planning to visit Gujarat towards the 3rd week of this month and plan to leave on either the 18th or 19th of March. Rest of the itinerary is not finalised and this is where I need the help and advise of fellow Bhpians.
I will be traveling in my own vehicle with my wife and 2 kids (age 5 years and the younger one is 10 months)

The current plan is that I would like to visit the following places
  • Gir (2 Nights)
  • Diu (Atleast 2 or if needed 3 nights) Sea Food/ Sea Food and more Sea Food
  • Marine National Park, Jamnagar (SS-Traveller was kind enough to point me towards Pritoan Island. So either the Marine NP or Pirotan Island is a must visit)
  • Visit/ Drive through Veraval/ Somnath/ Porbandar (Gandhiji's Birth Place), Dwarka enroute to Jamnagar
  • Udaipur (Lakes/ Palaces/ Forts, Food, etc)
  • Lothal (What is this/ Where is this) Heard that this is an excavation site by the Archeological Survey of India) Is this a must visit place or can be avoided.
Plan was also to visit either Raan of Kutch and Koteshwar or Bikaner & Karni Mata Mandir but I simply do not want to pile up too many things in too short span of time.
Any other place that can be accommodated in the above circuit.
The total time for the above is about 7 days which can very easily be stretch by 1 or 2 days.

Need suggestion on Hotels/ Places to stay, route planning, any other info that might come in handy.

Hotels Shortlisted and/ or suggestions needed
Diu - Radhika
Gir - Gir PRide Resort (http://www.girprideresort.com/)
Udaipur - (Suggestions needed)
Jamnagar - (Suggestions)

Thanks a lot

Last edited by harjeev : 7th March 2011 at 12:14.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:17   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delhi to Diu. Help Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
[*]Lothal (What is this/ Where is this) Heard that this is an excavation site by the Archeological Survey of India) Is this a must visit place or can be avoided.
Lothal was the dockyard of Indus Valley civilization. If you are a history buff, then it is a must visit! It is a treasure trove of information.

NOTE: I have never been to the place. I only read about it. Hence I have no idea about stay/hotels/road conditions etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks