Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 16:40   #16

Request help to plan a one day trip close to Hyderabad

I have been searching the net for info (last post was dated 2009) which can help me decide between taking a day trip with my family coming weekend to either:

1. Basar (Saraswathi Temple, Godavari river etc)
or 2. Ethipothala Falls (near Nagarjuna Sagar)

The family wants to go some place where they can enjoy the scenic beauty/being close to nature as well as away from the maddening crowd and clutter of a city life. I plan to leave home by 0800hrs and be back by 1800hrs (have to take care of aged parents).

Please guide, suggest , advice which is a better route and the road conditions for both the options. BTW, I drive a Toyota Innova and have trust in her .

Dear Kingof my world: as you often travel to N'sagar side; please advice.

Thanks in advance!
Old 21st October 2010, 16:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Nagarjunasagar is one of the most favorite destination of Hyderabad Team-Bhpains who have done several drive meets to this destination.

Facts of Nsagar ( Been there tons of times)

a) 330kms ( back and forth) to Nagarsagar/Ethipothala Falls
b) Can be easily done from 8am to 6pm. However, you will have to miss the boat ride to Muesuem on an island which takes 1-hour each side.
c) Lunch is best at Vijay Vihar. Nice and Simple meals at Rs.65 per head
d) Nothing to do at Ethipothala falls. Ticket is Rs.10 per head

Facts of Basar ( Been there a few times)

a) 450kms ( back and forth) to Basar via. Nizambad route
b) Beautiful roads except for the last 30kms diversion towards Basar
c) Visit Temple and lake behind the temple
d) Not many dhabas enroute except one at Kamareddy

Both are nice places but if you are visiting both for first time. I recommend you go to NSagar first.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Road conditions are also good from Hyd to Nsagar.

Eating options enroute are limited on both the routes.Carry your own breakfast.Lunch at destination.
Old 21st October 2010, 19:10   #19
BHPian

&vvk: if you are travelling to either places, it is going to be hot. especially basar. and over the weekend, quite a few people travel to these places.
Old 22nd October 2010, 03:56   #20
BHPian

Been to sagar last weekend, Roads are awesome till some 5-10 kms ahead of ibrahimpatnam. After that some patches are good but overall its ok. Better than before I should say. Food, You have a new place which is around 30 kms before sagar and its good. You get breakfast, lunch and dinner. You also have rooms at that place. Also the vijay vihar is a good place to have food. 65rs per head and you'll be FULL.
Old 25th October 2010, 17:27   #21

Thanks to all for the quick info bits.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Been to sagar last weekend, Roads are awesome till some 5-10 kms ahead of ibrahimpatnam. After that some patches are good but overall its ok. Better than before I should say. Food, You have a new place which is around 30 kms before sagar and its good. You get breakfast, lunch and dinner. You also have rooms at that place. Also the vijay vihar is a good place to have food. 65rs per head and you'll be FULL.
Thanks to all for the quick info bits. I plan to make the trip this weekend. Will try Friday to beat the weekend rush!!. I hope it is a safe place to visit (after having read about some robbery/naxal issue).

A small suggestion: Can we have a BHPian mobile directory (for those willing to share their mobile numbers). This way we can connect up faster and increase communication options! Please share your thoughts!
Old 20th June 2011, 12:04   #22
BHPian

Re: hyderabad srisailam nagarjunsagar

Which is a better itinerary between the two choices :
(1) Hyderabad - Nagarjuna Sagar - Srisailam - Hyderabad
(2) Hyderabad - Srisailam - Nagarjuna Sagar - Hyderabad

Which route will be better when travelling between :
(1) Nagarjuna Sagar - Srisailam
(2) Srisailam - Nagarjuna Sagar

Any other tips, advice, etc. are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

Thanks in advance!
Any guidance from the experts and regulars?
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

Thanks in advance!
Depends on when you would want to start from Hyd,else there really isnt any difference in between the two routes.As for stay at both places you would be dependent on the APTDC hotels and both are average,Sagar would be slightly better off than the one at Srisailam as the Srisailam one heavily suffers from cleanliness and hygiene issues.

As for the route,Hyd-Sagar route has been done up very well now and is good,it shouldnt take you more than 3 hours to reach Sagar.If you are intending to leave Hyd by afternoon,then you could reach Sagar for high tea and stay the night at APTDC.Next day morning after the staple idli breakfast at APTDC,you could drive to Srisailam,do the darshan,lunch at APTDC,Srisailam(temple closes in the afternoon between 1pm & 3pm)and then leave Srisailam after lunch around 3-4pm to reach Hyd by 7-8pm.

Routes:

Hyd-Sagar:Uppal-Ibrahimpatanam-Sagar (approx 3hours)

Sagar-Srisailam

There are multiple routes,but IMO,this would be your best bet

A)Sagar-Mallepalle--Divert to Devarakonda-Dindi-Manannur Forest section-Srisailam.Should take you around 3.5-4hours.

Srisailam-Hyd: The standard route via the Srisailam highway Manannur Forest-Dindi-Hyderabad(approx 5hours)
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
As for the route,Hyd-Sagar route has been done up very well now and is good,it shouldnt take you more than 3 hours to reach Sagar.
Routes:
Hyd-Sagar:Uppal-Ibrahimpatanam-Sagar (approx 3hours)

Srisailam-Hyd: The standard route via the Srisailam highway Manannur Forest-Dindi-Hyderabad(approx 5hours)
Even the Hyd-Srisailam has been done up quite well and it should not take you more than 4 hours for the 245km distance.
Now that Ranjit has confirmed about the Hyd-NSD route, there wouldn't be much issue on your trip regarding the road condition.
But I am not sure about the NSD-Srisailam.I have not done that stretch but probably the route covering Ethipottala falls is much preferred.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Even the Hyd-Srisailam has been done up quite well and it should not take you more than 4 hours for the 245km distance.
Now that Ranjit has confirmed about the Hyd-NSD route, there wouldn't be much issue on your trip regarding the road condition.
But I am not sure about the NSD-Srisailam.I have not done that stretch but probably the route covering Ethipottala falls is much preferred.
If the travel dates are now,I am not sure if Ethipothala would have enough water,nevertheless even if one needs to go to the falls,I would suggest coming back to Mallepalle and then onto Dindi and Srisailam.There is a route which goes via Macherla-Karempudi-Vinukonda towards Srisailam because I remember seeing boards indicating Srisailam at Ipuru during my drives to Chennai.
Old 8th December 2012, 19:11   #27

Is this safe? Nagarjuna sagar - Macherla - Dornala - Srisailam.

Team-BHP - I will do a combo trip of Nagarjuna sagar and Srisailam from Hyd, and was planning to take the southwards route from NGS to Srisailam, via Macherla and Dornala (and not the usual Dindi route). I had heard about naxal control on the Macherla-Dornala section so wanted to know your views if it is safe to travel with wife and kid? I heard that route is more scenic, but if you discourage me from taking it then I will take the Dindi route itself.
Old 8th December 2012, 21:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

re: Is this safe? Nagarjuna sagar - Macherla - Dornala - Srisailam.

We travelled from Srisailam to Nagarjunasagar 4 years ago in a Tavera, and the route was a bit lonely. At some spots, there were causeways where water was flowing across the road, but nothing alarming.

Night driving is not advisable. When we were approaching Nagarjunasagar, we were stopped by cops armed with AK 47s and questioned where we were going. On knowing our identity, they let us go. They said they had information that there were naxals travelling on that day, and hence the checking.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 08:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

re: Is this safe? Nagarjuna sagar - Macherla - Dornala - Srisailam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveengupta View Post
Team-BHP - I will do a combo trip of Nagarjuna sagar and Srisailam from Hyd, and was planning to take the southwards route from NGS to Srisailam, via Macherla and Dornala (and not the usual Dindi route). I had heard about naxal control on the Macherla-Dornala section so wanted to know your views if it is safe to travel with wife and kid? I heard that route is more scenic, but if you discourage me from taking it then I will take the Dindi route itself.
Check this thread for more updates http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...unsagar-2.html
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 10:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
We travelled from Srisailam to Nagarjunasagar 4 years ago in a Tavera, and the route was a bit lonely...
Thank you for responding! I am assuming you took the Dornala route and not the Dindi one. I heard that Dornala route is only 3 hours to Srisailam against 5 hours via Kalwakurthy. And I will come back via Dindi so want to do a new route while going up so will give this a try in the last week of Dec and update you guys. Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thank you Ranjit. I did go through all the Dornala threads before posting here, but was discouraged by this site
http://naxalwatch.blogspot.in/2007/0...t-schools.html
The roads mentioned having land-mines are exactly the ones I was planning on taking

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th December 2012 at 11:03. Reason: Back to back posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks