Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 14:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

When you at Mcleodganj and if you have time do visit palampur/Alhilal and the surrounding areas. That area is famous for Kangra tea. Also you could go ahead to Baijnath and visit the temple there. En route you will get stunning views of the mighty Dhauladhars.

Also at Ahlilal there is an old palace, now converted into a hotel. Its very pretty and worth stopping for lunch.

The Dhauladhars have snow but till two days back Mcleodganj had no snow. There is a trek route from Bhagsunath falls in Mcleodganj ( do not remeber the name now) that will take you to the snow line.

If you need more information on Dharamshala and surroundings and also the route from Dharamshala to Delhi kindly read my travelogue here

Last edited by deky : 30th December 2009 at 14:09.
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2009, 14:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
yup, however good for me, this year the fog is almost negligible. I leave for office daily before 7AM and till last year, it was a nightmare to leave at this time of the year, however this year fog is behaving very different.

Am hoping it behaves like this for next 4-5 days.
Be very warned. It may not be fun. Even I thought it wouldn't be dense today, since it wasn't a day before either.

But today at 9 AM itself, I couldn't see anything 20 meters from me, until 10:30 AM. I was crawling at 40 - 60KM/h. And I felt like dumb having no clue if I'm going straight or not. I had to stop once to calm down from anxiety. Total 3 accidents (4 cars, 1 tractor + trolley; all totalled) in 35 KMs. :O

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 30th December 2009 at 14:25.
Old 30th December 2009, 15:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Guys based on various feedback on fog and also two accidents this morning at greater noida expressway I am now thinking of leaving around 10 am from home. Will be able to cross Delhi by noon or later, fog will appear after 8 pm, so hope of catching Amritsar around that time.

Any updates on where to stay at Amritsar ? Also, return trip from mcleodgunj or dalhousie (have both the options now) will decide on actual time basis of next trip plan at Amritsar will be using Maps on my iPhone throughout thejourney for any help.

Any idea of snow at dalhousie ?
Old 30th December 2009, 15:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Tanwar - Good decision mate. Better to be safe than sorry.

You mean you are going to leave tommorrow morning ? Or is it 1st ?

Places to stay - I do not know any as I have my family house there BUT you can check tripadvisor for some good homestays and hotels.

Everything is packed these days.
Old 30th December 2009, 15:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

thanks for tips guys, tbhp is one place where I can trust for good information.

Am leaving tomorrow morning itself as need to utilize the 3 day off period. So my new year will be in Amritsar .

I had noted down from some of the posts of a hotel nearby Golden Temple, damn, and lost it. Need to re-search that.

vkochar - your travelogue has been quite helpful in deciding the place to go
Old 30th December 2009, 16:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for tips guys, tbhp is one place where I can trust for good information.

Am leaving tomorrow morning itself as need to utilize the 3 day off period. So my new year will be in Amritsar .

I had noted down from some of the posts of a hotel nearby Golden Temple, damn, and lost it. Need to re-search that.

vkochar - your travelogue has been quite helpful in deciding the place to go
Well Amit all the best - avoid the fog as much as you can, what I've heard from my friends these days is - that from Delhi till karnal - there is no fog in the morning, however Karnal onwards they face heavy fog. You might check with some truckers on NH1 about the fog conditions enroute and if required take an alternate route - Ambala - Chandigarh - Jalandhar - Amritsar. In the wake of widening of NH1 this can also be an option.
Old 30th December 2009, 16:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
Well Amit all the best - avoid the fog as much as you can, what I've heard from my friends these days is - that from Delhi till karnal - there is no fog in the morning, however Karnal onwards they face heavy fog. You might check with some truckers on NH1 about the fog conditions enroute and if required take an alternate route - Ambala - Chandigarh - Jalandhar - Amritsar. In the wake of widening of NH1 this can also be an option.
thanks, is the road widening such bad that going via Chandigarh could be an option ? Since I am now driving in the day, I guess I will get the traffic at its best.
Old 30th December 2009, 22:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
When you at Mcleodganj and if you have time do visit palampur/Alhilal and the surrounding areas. That area is famous for Kangra tea. Also you could go ahead to Baijnath and visit the temple there. En route you will get stunning views of the mighty Dhauladhars.

Also at Ahlilal there is an old palace, now converted into a hotel. Its very pretty and worth stopping for lunch.

The Dhauladhars have snow but till two days back Mcleodganj had no snow. There is a trek route from Bhagsunath falls in Mcleodganj ( do not remeber the name now) that will take you to the snow line.

If you need more information on Dharamshala and surroundings and also the route from Dharamshala to Delhi kindly read my travelogue here
Deky, thanks for sharing your inputs, if Dharamsala is finalized, will visit the places as per your trip.
Old 30th December 2009, 23:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MK Hotel is a good place,we stayed there for a night( :::: MK-HOTEL ::::),
Old 31st December 2009, 02:48   #25
BHPian

In Amritsar following are must see:-

Harmandir Sahib Ji (Golden Temple)
Jaliaan Wallah Bag
Wagha Border
Durgiana Mandir

For food "Bharawaan da Dhaba" is awesome. There used to be a dhaba near Lahori Gate but this is 10yrs back, so got no idea if its still there. Also dont forget to drink Lassi there as its one of the most famous thin/gs in Amritsar.

On the way when u pass jalandhar, see if you can goto Jalandhar Cantt and try "Jwali de pakore" (one of the spiciest pakoras i have tried in my life) and "Haweli" (very nice food and way better than any dhaba).

At Mcloedganj dont forget to trekk to the waterfalls and go right upto the top, there are 2 ways to go there (again 10yr old info).

That's pretty much all i remember from my old trip. Best time will be spent on the road than in Mcleodganj.

Cheers
Old 31st December 2009, 10:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
MK Hotel is a good place,we stayed there for a night( :::: MK-HOTEL ::::),
thanks, will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
In Amritsar following are must see:-

Harmandir Sahib Ji (Golden Temple)
Jaliaan Wallah Bag
Wagha Border
Durgiana Mandir

Cheers
thanks, all the points noted for Amritsar, food and Mcleodganj.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:45   #27
BHPian

In McLeodgunj there is a coffee shop run by a retired Air Force officer. Make sure to visit this joint as the coffee is good and most importantly they also have a decent variety of wines made by them.

Each bottle would cost anything between 300 to 400 bucks and these wines are much better than what you would find in Shimla.

And they don't sell their stuff any where else. I will see if I can find their Invoice at home, will pass on the exact address if I am successful.
Old 1st January 2010, 08:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
In McLeodgunj there is a coffee shop run by a retired Air Force officer. Make sure to visit this joint as the coffee is good and most importantly they also have a decent variety of wines made by them.

Each bottle would cost anything between 300 to 400 bucks and these wines are much better than what you would find in Shimla.

And they don't sell their stuff any where else. I will see if I can find their Invoice at home, will pass on the exact address if I am successful.
sounds interesting, please do PM me their address.
Old 16th August 2019, 15:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quick trip at Amritsar & McLeodganj

Ten year old thread!!!!

Planning McLead Ganj - Dalhousie - Amritsar in September.

Any updates on info contained here and elsewhere will be appreciated.

In particular, where to stay in Amritsar?

Are the HPTDC places still good?

Between Dalhousie and Khajjiar, where to stay? Or, should we stay at both places for a night each?

It will be flight to Dharamshala, and from Amritsar. Intend to take a SUV.
Old 16th August 2019, 16:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Quick trip at Amritsar & McLeodganj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Between Dalhousie and Khajjiar, where to stay? Or, should we stay at both places for a night each?
If you just want to relax, then Khajjiar is the place. Its a very peaceful location. Dalhousie will be little crowded and has parking issues. Many stay in Dalhousie and do a day trip to Khajjiar. Yes, staying one day in Khajjiar and one day in Dalhousie will be a good idea too.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks