Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 14:41   #1
BHPian

Kolkata to Gorumara Route Query

Hello BHP'ians,

Seasons Greetings and A Happy New Year 2010 to all. I am planning to have a road trip from Kolkata to Dooars (Murti, Gorumara, Chapramari & Chalsa) on 30/31 Jan for 5 days. I had travelled long back on NH 34 and now am completely ignorant about the present road condition. The related posts on this topic gives excellent idea about the road but the present road condition will help me plan the route. I have travelled to Tarapith recently and am aware that the road till tarapith is excellent (NH2) and o.k (Panagarh-Moregram expressway) as I came across many sudden potholes in the road. I would request you all to give me a fair idea which route to take. I will be driving a small car (I-10).
Old 5th January 2010, 15:18   #2
BHPian

NH 34 has been resurfaced and should be smooth throughout.

From Dalkhola , it is the 4 laned East - West corridoor.

Traffic in towns like Malda might slow you down.

Otherwise , it should be a good trip.
Old 5th January 2010, 16:20   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

shantanu - this is OT but I m keen to know does the literal translation of Gorumara mean "Killed Cow" or "Hit Cow"?
Old 6th January 2010, 14:58   #4
BHPian

Shankar- Literal translation of Gorumara should be Goru=Cow, Mara=Killed. Never thought of it though.

Thanks Black Panther for the recent update
Old 7th January 2010, 05:14   #5
BHPian

NH34 is Nice to drive with all odd traffic , other than Malda
you might get traffic at Baharampur (Before crossing Bridge )
and sometime terrible choking before Dalkhola ,
Dalkhola onwards NH31 is almost express highway.

Cheers
Old 7th January 2010, 11:10   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

ha ha
guessed as much - so this must be the site of some such place of say either animal sacrifice or accident in the dim distant past - and the name of the place appears to have stuck!
Just thought of it when I read your thread which is why I asked!

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantanu Sarkar View Post
Shankar- Literal translation of Gorumara should be Goru=Cow, Mara=Killed. Never thought of it though.

Thanks Black Panther for the recent update
Old 7th January 2010, 13:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdey View Post
NH34 is Nice to drive with all odd traffic , other than Malda
you might get traffic at Baharampur (Before crossing Bridge )
and sometime terrible choking before Dalkhola ,
Dalkhola onwards NH31 is almost express highway.

Cheers
Thanks Capt. Dey for the suggestion. I will go through NH34. One more query, Do I need to enter Siliguri and go via the Coronation Bridge to reach Murti via Mongpong, Damdim, Chalsai. As per the maps there is a road via Jalpaiguri/Mainaguri/Lataguri. Is there any diversion on NH 31 from where I can divert towards Jalpaiguri, without entering Siliguri. How is the condition of the road. Just in case NH 31 is blocked for the GJM agitation .
Old 7th January 2010, 13:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
ha ha
guessed as much - so this must be the site of some such place of say either animal sacrifice or accident in the dim distant past - and the name of the place appears to have stuck!
Just thought of it when I read your thread which is why I asked!

cheers
Or may be cattles getting killed by the tigers in the forest during those days. Hope to see something more than cows when I reach there. Will post in the travelogue section after coming back on 5th Feb.
Old 7th January 2010, 16:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Capt. Dey for the suggestion. I will go through NH34.
You can take the NH2-Suiri-Moregram route instead. This way, you'll avoid chaotic NH34 traffic between Kolkata and Krishnanagar. Most bhp-ians prefer the former route.
Old 8th January 2010, 11:17   #10
BHPian

Yes Shantanu , you can take alternate route too which is via
Jalpaiguri and road is not bad , but the former route is more
scenic which is via Coronation , I don't remember any diversion
I passed through the town while taking the second route.

Cheers
Old 8th January 2010, 13:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Capt. Dey for the suggestion. I will go through NH34. One more query, Do I need to enter Siliguri and go via the Coronation Bridge to reach Murti via Mongpong, Damdim, Chalsai. As per the maps there is a road via Jalpaiguri/Mainaguri/Lataguri. Is there any diversion on NH 31 from where I can divert towards Jalpaiguri, without entering Siliguri. How is the condition of the road. Just in case NH 31 is blocked for the GJM agitation .
NH31 brushes past Siliguri, from Darjiling turn off to Sevoke Rd Jnc. Not really a problem, traffic wise.

If you want to go via Jalpaiguri, you can turn off at Ghoshpukur (approx 13 Km before Bagdogra) and come out at Phulbari, avoiding Siliguri proper. As others have said, Coronation bridge is the more scenic road.

Quote:
Or may be cattles getting killed by the tigers in the forest during those days.....
Quite a few such evocative names that side. Mathabhanga, Changrabandha, Rajabhatkhawa, Chapar come readily to mind.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 8th January 2010 at 14:01.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
You can take the NH2-Suiri-Moregram route instead. This way, you'll avoid chaotic NH34 traffic between Kolkata and Krishnanagar. Most bhp-ians prefer the former route.

Yes after reading travelouges and your suggestions, I will also follow the NH2 route. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 8th January 2010, 14:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
NH31 brushes past Siliguri, from Darjiling turn off to Sevoke Rd Jnc. Not really a problem, traffic wise.

If you want to go via Jalpaiguri, you can turn off at Ghoshpukur (approx 13 Km before Bagdogra) and come out at Phulbari, avoiding Siliguri proper. As others have said, Coronation bridge is the more scenic road.

Quite a few such evocative names that side. Mathabhanga, Changrabandha, Rajabhatkhawa, Chapar come readily to mind.

Regards
Sutripta

Thanks Sutripta for the exact exit points to reach Jalpaiguri. I am also eager to go through Coronation Bridge for its majestic views, but in case, GJM announces any blockade, always better to know the alternate route. Thanks again.

Yes always wanted to see these places. Will share with you all once I return, hopefully with some good pics.
Old 9th January 2010, 19:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes always wanted to see these places. Will share with you all once I return, hopefully with some good pics.
Hi,
Slightly confused. If by "these places", you mean the ones with the evocative names, then with the possible exception of Rajabhatkhawa, the other places are exactly like every other very ordinary small town/ overgrown village.

Sutripta
Old 9th January 2010, 23:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

We took the Panagarh, Ilam Bazar, Siuri, Moregram route both while going (22 Dec) and returning (2nd Jan). The road was horrible when I went, being full of potholes, washed out surface etc.

We got a pleasant surprise when we returned though - extensive repair work was carried on and the road was quite unrecognizable from what it was. The bit between Moregram and Siuri is almost completely patched up and work was still continuing. The bit between Barkeshwar and Ilam bazar too showed signs of getting patched up.

NH 34 is a single carriageway and is full of local traffic. The traffic is thickest just before and after Malda. Expect at least a small jam in that part. Past the right turn onto 31 there are a few bottlenecks esp. where two flyovers are damaged/being built. The roads are really bad where there is work going on esp. on the bridges, otherwise that stretch can be a breeze.

We got stuck in a traffic jam at dusk between Bagdogra and Siliguri and that stretch took us close to an hour.

Happy journey and looking forward to a great travelogue!

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks