Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 11:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hai
I returned last night from my chennai drive (1500kms total).

@Rajesh - No I did not take the irrity-virajpettah road, eventhough the road was open (it is open only for 4 or 5 days from last friday due to some temple festival nearby) that time. I reached Irrity, the turning where the virajpettah road begins and checked with local people about the road condition but they advised that condition of the road is not good(only metals laid on the road and the work is still going on).
Then I took the route, from iritty, kottiyur, plachuram ghat, mananthavady, kattikulam,kutta, mysore (kutta-mysore forest road, need to take a diversion after
driving about few kilometres because the road work is still going on for some portion in between the road. Also there are plenty of speed-breakers have been erected and
the driving along the route is not at all pleasant (its all newly erected speed breakers and no white cross marking so you will see the breaker only once you come close to it and possibilites that you will hit the bottom of the car unless very cautious).
The diversion itself too very tiring and lot of potholes along the village route. You will find all kind of livestocks standing on the road and staring you?

While coming back, I took (from mysore) the outer ring road (you can see the route marked as Calicut/Ooty) and drove via nanjugad, gundlepet, sultanbattery, meenangadi, mananthavady, -palchuram - kottiyur - panamaram-irrity-sreekandapuram- Taliparampa - Payyanur.
Old 27th January 2010, 12:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Then I took the route, from iritty, kottiyur, plachuram ghat, mananthavady, kattikulam,kutta, mysore (kutta-mysore forest road, need to take a diversion after
driving about few kilometres because the road work is still going on for some portion in between the road. Also there are plenty of speed-breakers have been erected and the driving along the route is not at all pleasant (its all newly erected speed breakers and no white cross marking so you will see the breaker only once you come close to it and possibilites that you will hit the bottom of the car unless very cautious).
So, back in town..!! Hope you have enjoyed the drive.

I hope u didn't took the Kutta - Nagarhole - Hunsur road..right? Instead, from Kattikkulam, you might have went straight and reach Bavali, then crossed the ghat to touch HD Kote and then Mysore..is it?

But if you reach up to Kutta, then there are only 2 possibilities, either to go to Gonikkuppa then Hunsur or reach Hunsur via Nagarhole. The Nagarhole road is already laid but there are many road humps within the 2 gates of the National Park.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 27th January 2010, 14:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

@Rajesh

I think Kutta is the small junction (after kattikulam )with one road going straight and another one little left which goes through the forest. The roads were recently laid up but some portion, towards the other end is still under work. There are so many fresh speed breaker all along the road (may be I can say spead breaker in every km) and it is just laid up hence no painting done or any markings given to caution the motorists. And one can see many tyre marks near the speed breaker which is evident that people are suddenly seeing the breaker and applying sudden brake?).

I think this is the complete routing - ..Kattikulam - Tholpatty - Kutta - Nagarhole - Hunsur - Mysore ???
Old 28th January 2010, 07:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@Rajesh

I think Kutta is the small junction (after kattikulam )with one road going straight and another one little left which goes through the forest. The roads were recently laid up but some portion, towards the other end is still under work. There are so many fresh speed breaker all along the road (may be I can say spead breaker in every km) and it is just laid up hence no painting done or any markings given to caution the motorists. And one can see many tyre marks near the speed breaker which is evident that people are suddenly seeing the breaker and applying sudden brake?).

I think this is the complete routing - ..Kattikulam - Tholpatty - Kutta - Nagarhole - Hunsur - Mysore ???
To reach Kutta, you need to take left turn at Kattikkulam checkpost. This road also goes to the Thirunelli temple. At kutta you need to take a right turn (almost an "U" turn) to get the road to Nagarhole. The road after Kerala check post to Kutta is in very bad shape. The road in Nagarhole Park is laid couple of years back itself.

Most probably the road which you have mentioning is Bavali - HD Kote Road, which is still under repair. I heard from one of my friend that the road work is almost completed except a few KMs in the exit, also there is lots of new road humps. So I belief, you might have taken this road. In this route also, you will get the gates of National Park and the road is not open for night traffic.

Anyway, what ever be the road, its nice to hear that you had an enjoyable drive..!!!

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 28th January 2010, 10:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you are correct. I didnt took any U turn at kutta.
Next time I will try the Nagarhole route (if virajpetta road is open and good for traffic then that will be better for people like me)

Yes, indeed I enjoyed the drive well !
Old 29th January 2010, 09:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Makutta road

There is a news in the local news paper today:
Makutta Road is nearing completion (last phase work is now going on).

Out of the 26 kms distance from Kuttupuzha to Virajpetta, the repair work is undertaken for 16kms stretch from Makuttam to Oattakolli. The work includes construction of two long bridges and 82 small bridges. Big bridges works is completed and only 10 small bridges work is pending. Tarring work also in progress.

Authorities anticipate the Road will be opened for traffic by April 30th 2010.
Old 10th July 2015, 12:47   #22
VKM
BHPian

re: Kannur - Chennai : Route Queries

Planning a trip next weekend from chennai to kannur and back. Any updates on the route and road conditions?
Thanks!
Old 10th July 2015, 16:10   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
Planning a trip next weekend from chennai to kannur and back. Any updates on the route and road conditions?
Thanks!
Was about to say Chennai-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Calicut-Kannur. But then checked Google Maps and it recommends CHennai-Bangalor-Mysore-Hunsur-Virajpet-Iritty-Kannur.

Looking at the time estimates, this looks the best route. Road conditions are pretty much excellent through out. Depending on your timing, traffic on Bangalore-Mysore Road can be on the higher side.

You can by-pass Bangalore via the NICE Road.

Only concern is that it is 12 hrs of driving and you will be hitting the ghats and the heavy traffic stretches at the end of your journey, so can be tiring.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 20:36   #24
BHPian

Take Chennai-Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikkoppal - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur. Road is in good condition throughout. Use NICE road to byepass Bangalore and expect day time traffic in the Mysore road.
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:33   #25
VKM
BHPian

Did the same route this weekend. Roads were good throughout, as mentioned the Bangalore to Mysore traffic was a dampener. what is it with all the speed breakers & collapsible partition like thingies on this road? could do only 40km/hr average while crossing Karnataka.
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Take Chennai-Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikkoppal - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur. Road is in good condition throughout. Use NICE road to byepass Bangalore and expect day time traffic in the Mysore road.
Planning a trip from Kannur to Chennai tomorrow, will this route be a good bet or should I take the one via Coimbatore? Any quick pointers in terms of road conditions and if this is safe for an overnight journey would help please.

Last edited by ranjithpd : 23rd December 2016 at 18:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks