Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 20:07   #16
BHPian

I dont see the answer for the question " how does Re-numbering help" or did I miss out a post.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post
I dont see the answer for the question " how does Re-numbering help" or did I miss out a post.
The consensus seems to be that the renumbering exercise has no meaning and the government should concentrate on finishing its highway agenda (EW, NS, GQ, widening, converting SH into NH, bypasses and so on). I would be happier if we see a drop in toll rates which is simply a rip-off and will continue to escalate in the coming years since they have been conveniently indexed to inflation indices, regardless of cost of road maintenance, capital cost recovery or service provided by the toll contractor.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would be happier if we see a drop in toll rates which is simply a rip-off and will continue to escalate in the coming years since they have been conveniently indexed to inflation indices, regardless of cost of road maintenance, capital cost recovery or service provided by the toll contractor.
IMO, they can do one of these...
1. Maintain the same costs & provide a better service (control people throwing eggs & stones @ cars; control people driving from wrong way; better barricades & so on)
2. Otherwise reduce the cost & provide the same service level
Old 18th February 2010, 21:43   #19
BANNED

I am not sure as to what the benefits would be due to this renumbering. Yes,they should have got the numbers concept right in the first place. But if renumbering is going to cost a lot of money then it may not be worth doing. The money would be better spent for highways maintenance.
Old 18th February 2010, 22:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Can't figure out how renumbering helps! There are more substantial things to be done - can you imagine the financial impact of this renumbering?
+1 to that. Dont understand the rationale.
Also, personally it would be a tough time to replace the numbers in mind.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaops View Post
+1, Guys can someone explain the logic of renumbering the NHs? AFAIK, the newspapers say that it was not numbered scientifically. Few people also said that it is copied from other countries.

What is the rationale behind numbering a national highway??

Quote:
"The present numbering is very irrational. You have NH-10 running parallel to NH-1 and NH-58 running parallel to NH-24. The scientific numbering is more important considering the fact that now people are covering over 250 km in their cars, which was not the case earlier. We expect this to cross the 1,000 km mark. So, rational numbering will come in handy for commuters at large,'
What is wrong if NH 10 is running parallel to NH 1??

Last edited by addyhemmige : 19th February 2010 at 11:45.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
the newspapers say that it was not numbered scientifically. Few people also said that it is copied from other countries.
Nothing irrational about the current numbering system - there is (was) some plan once upon a time, which is now lost in some musty govt. files.

THink of the following:

NH1 starts from Wagah (Pak border) and goes via Amritsar, Jalandhar, Ludhiana to DELHI.
(NH1A derivative goes from Jalandhar to another Pak border via Jammu and Srinagar to Uri, and another derivative NH1B goes from Srinagar to Leh via Kargil)
NH2 starts at DELHI and goes to Calcutta via AGRA, Kanpur, Allahabad, VARANASI
NH3 starts at AGRA (where NH2 crosses) and goes to BOMBAY via Gwalior, Indore and NASIK
NH4 starts at BOMBAY and goes to MADRAS via BANGALORE
NH5 starts at MADRAS and goes to KHARAGPUR via Vijaywada and Bhubaneswar
NH6 starts at CALCUTTA and goes to Surat via KHARAGPUR, Sambalpur, Raipur, NAGPUR and Dhulia
NH7 starts at VARANASI (cut by NH2) and goes via NAGPUR (cuts NH6), Hyderabad (cuts NH9), BANGALORE (cuts NH4), Salem, DINDIGUL and MADURAI to KANYAKUMARI
(Derivatives are NH45, which connects DINDIGUL - with its NH7 coming from Bnagalore and its NH4 - to MADRAS, where NH5 starts,
or NH47 which connects SALEM (where NH7 comes from Bangalore and goes to Bangalore where there is NH4, and KANYAKUMARI via Cochin, and where it meets NH7)

and so on. I can tell you more and more stories about the current numbering system which indicates that there was a strong underlying rationale. So, this issue of having consistency in highway numbering does not make sense at all
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2010, 12:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing irrational about the current numbering system - there is (was) some plan once upon a time, which is now lost in some musty govt. files.
+1. I would also say, take NH4-NH46-NH7 to reach from Chennai to Hosur which is as good as saying, for example, exit 2A-I75-exit 208-I90. Who knows may be the govt is planning (or under force) trying to put locations into directions. May be the GPS & map companies benefit.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
+1. I would also say, take NH4-NH46-NH7 to reach from Chennai to Hosur which is as good as saying, for example, exit 2A-I75-exit 208-I90. Who knows may be the govt is planning (or under force) trying to put locations into directions. May be the GPS & map companies benefit.
Yes, but he should know which direction to go also right?

When you say take 85, 84 etc, you also say 85-north or south. So, this makes life easy.

This is still in practice is many villages in India. But, with the modernization and confusion to which "developed" country to follow to, we lost "direction".

In my opinion, this new numbering would help, but we have much more important things on plate than this. Top is to first put the roads properly and then think about numbering.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:49   #25
BHPian

So the sign boards are going to be a hell lot more confusing then they have ever been. Half of them will be re-painted with the new nos. but a lot of smaller ones will just be left off. I remember the time when Bombay was changed Mumbai. Majority of the sign boards in MH got changed very fast (at least the bigger one's). However the name was intact on so many sign boards in Gujarat & Rajasthan.
Now these sign boards might not make such a huge diff to us, we are used to asking for directions in the middle of the road. However foreigners will have a tough time since they will be looking at their Maps & comparing them with what is visible on the sign boards. Poor guys are going to be more lost than ever or they might also change & start asking for directions.

Changing numbers might not be such a tough task afterall for the MMI & SatNav guys. Its addition of new roads & changes in the same which takes more time, so I am sure one can go ahead & buy the same. I am sure these guys will provide the updates, since its quite critical in nature.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:56   #26
BHPian

Forget about the waste of money...

Think about this..Either TBHP travelouge threads will become meaningless OR mods would have to work overtime doing a search & replace, in the near future;-}

And we thought renaming of cities were cumbersome!!!
Old 19th February 2010, 19:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Forget about the waste of money...

Think about this..Either TBHP travelouge threads will become meaningless OR mods would have to work overtime doing a search & replace, in the near future;-}

And we thought renaming of cities were cumbersome!!!
. Well, we'll few threads such as "Old NH - New NH mapping", "Changed routes" & so on
Old 19th February 2010, 19:32   #28
BHPian

Guys..one advice..invest in MMI/Satguide etc..they will be minting money with a round of upgrades in the near future!

Or will it be like Old Door No xxx New Door No yyy stuff? Scary...sure seems 2012 movie makers got it right about the world coming to an end!!
Old 19th February 2010, 22:14   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Guys..one advice..invest in MMI/Satguide etc..they will be minting money with a round of upgrades in the near future!

Or will it be like Old Door No xxx New Door No yyy stuff? Scary...sure seems 2012 movie makers got it right about the world coming to an end!!
You stole my words. Map upgrades will happen galore. They sure would be laughing all the way to the bank!

Only hope is that change logs are officially released by govt through a proper communication channel. Else, it will be mayhem all over the place.
Old 6th July 2010, 02:21   #30
BHPian

Reopening the old thread. Here are the new highway numbers. Scroll down to the end of the pdf for highways description in english.

http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...6143316640.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks