Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 06:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Reopening the old thread. Here are the new highway numbers. Scroll down to the end of the pdf for highways description in english.

http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...6143316640.pdf
Oh man, NH4 goes to Andaman island

Are they really serious about doing this? I am sure a huge contract will be given for renaming, painting, boards, etc for signs all around the country.
Old 6th July 2010, 08:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Oh man, NH4 goes to Andaman island

Are they really serious about doing this? I am sure a huge contract will be given for renaming, painting, boards, etc for signs all around the country.
They were supposed to have started the new numbering system in April. We are now on July.
Old 6th July 2010, 09:23   #33
BHPian

Guys I really doubt if the new numbering system is going to help. And going by the Govt job which is always incomplete the confusion will be more in some cases, lets take this example -

"Your Destination Hospet, you are new to NH driving, you have a GPS in your car -
Bangalore to Chitradurga - Current NH4, New system NH58
Chitradurga to Haveri - Current NH4, New system NH13
Chitradurga to Hospet - Current NH13, New system NH33

Now the NHAI contractor has not finished the job in Chitradurga - Hospet section, so the numbering remains the old one, so where do you go? Haveri or Hospet?"

This is just an example what might happen, and these are know routes, think if something like this happen in some remote place you are visiting for the 1st time. I really think without wasting our money in changing numbers, if they complete the GQ and E-W/ N-S corridors, will be better for the country. Some one please file a PIL to stop these
Old 6th July 2010, 10:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
....This is just an example what might happen, and these are know routes, think if something like this happen in some remote place you are visiting for the 1st time. I really think without wasting our money in changing numbers, if they complete the GQ and E-W/ N-S corridors, will be better for the country. Some one please file a PIL to stop these
+1, instead of wasting money on re-numbering and re-painting of boards, they should use the money to complete/maintain existing roads.

Re-numbering is just going to create more confusion
Old 7th July 2010, 15:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Reopening the old thread. Here are the new highway numbers. Scroll down to the end of the pdf for highways description in english.

http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...6143316640.pdf

According to the above link

Old number-New number
NH4 - NH48
NH48 - NH75
NH206 - NH69
NH17 - NH66
NH13 - it has been split to NH169, NH369
NH4A - NH748
NH207 - NH648

All or most of these highways have been extended after their renumbering. For ex NH48 starts from Delhi and reaches Chennai passing through Udaipur, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Pune, Hubli and Bangalore.

I still haven't understood the logic of renumbering. I see that they have mentioned only 218 highways in that list, but the NH numbers are shown as 748, 648 etc. I even saw a number in the 900s. How is this possible? How can they assign numbers out of sequence? Can someone who has understood this care to explain?
Old 20th July 2010, 14:09   #36

Explanation of how the scheme works is on indiamike:
New National Highway numbers - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
PlaneMad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2010, 15:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

This is a nightmare situation for me at work. With very little clarity on when the new numbering comes into effect (at least for the masses) I don't know when do I shift to the new numbering for my titles.
Old 7th March 2011, 20:03   #38
BHPian

Re: National highway numbers to change, stretches to be longer

I look at this whole exercise of renumbering as another avenue for our netas and babus to make money.

This change will need huge contracts to be given and all involved will make huge money in the process. (another potential mega scam in making)

In reality, if the same money is invested in making new highways you can surely build a six lane expressway stretching from Mumbai to Kolkata.

Already the making of golden quadrangle was boon for many departments in some states.

For example travel from Pune to Hubli on NH 4 - total 430 kms. 250 in Maharashtra 180 in Karnataka. Both stretches built under same scheme. Most probably cost invested in making or roads was same per kilometer. Still why Karnakata stretch in twice as better in terms of road design, maintenance and facilities while they are charging half the money for toll?

The answer to me is Karnataka netas and babus were more honest than their Maharashtra counterparts.

Change in numbers is another gimmick to float opportunity to make money. Some state admins and contractors will make more and others less but the moto remains same.
Old 8th March 2011, 13:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Karnataka netas and babus were more honest than their Maharashtra counterparts.
I strongly resent your words, My home state is definitely more corrupt, more costly to live in or to buy a car, we pay the highest price price for fuels, highest road tax in the country & again the CM increased the road tax in the recent state budget.
karnataka takes the cake when it comes to corruption
Old 8th March 2011, 14:26   #40

guys, let me know how i can improve this map of renumbered national highways. is it too confusing?
File:Renumbered National Highways map of India (Schematic).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 8th March 2011, 18:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
I strongly resent your words, My home state is definitely more corrupt, more costly to live in or to buy a car, we pay the highest price price for fuels, highest road tax in the country & again the CM increased the road tax in the recent state budget.
karnataka takes the cake when it comes to corruption
@Gsminc, I just said 'More' honest and it points to situation at the point of time when the highway was made. I agree the situation is same everywhere.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

I saw boards saying "AH 43" on NH7 between Hyderabad and Bangalore. What does this mean?
Old 13th March 2011, 23:24   #43
BANNED

This thread was started way back. Is the re-numbering complete nation-wide now as of today? What versions upwards - of Garmin/Satguide/MMI maps have the correct NH numbering?

--R
Old 14th March 2011, 01:43   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I saw boards saying "AH 43" on NH7 between Hyderabad and Bangalore. What does this mean?
Thats the Asian Highway designation. I didnt know these routes were signposted in India.
AH43 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 16th August 2011, 15:11   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I also saw signboards indicating the route as NH44 between Hyderabad and Banglore, probably this is the new number for NH7. I also observed boards indicating the same route as AH43. Very confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad View Post
Thats the Asian Highway designation. I didnt know these routes were signposted in India.
AH43 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok ! Understood that AH stands for Asian Highway. If you have AH layout. Pls share.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks