Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 15:54   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Kannan. Have been to Ooty last year and Kodaikanal 2 or 3 years back (I forgot).
Old 15th March 2010, 16:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
...What route would be advisable to go to Munnar from Chennai. ...
Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Bodinayakkanur-Bodimetu(Kerala border)-Poopara-Gap road-Chinnakanal- Munnar

Quote:
...Can I make it in one day to Munnar if I leave early (say around 6 - 6.30 AM).
Yes, you can.

12 hour journey in a relaxed way. I would advise starting earlier (maybe 3:00-3:30am) and cross Trichy before breakfast.

I did Chennai-Munnar-Chennai with family in our Alto in Aug 2009. Started from Chennai at around 3:00am, reached Munnar by 4:00pm, after having a total of 3 hrs break for bfast/lunch/misc stops (we had some delay due to hotel-booking screw-up, but otherwise, 12 hrs journey with comfortable breaks for BFast/lunch).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 15th March 2010 at 16:07.
Old 15th March 2010, 16:24   #18
BHPian

Thanks. How are the roads ? What would be the ideal places to break for breakfast and lunch.

I was planning to break in madurai if trip is getting delayed.
Old 19th March 2010, 17:11   #19
BHPian

Guys..... your inputs please on my query
Old 19th March 2010, 18:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. How are the roads ? What would be the ideal places to break for breakfast and lunch.

Following is the route i would suggest you to take.

Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Munnar.

Road conditions between chennai and trichy is excellent and you can easily make it up in good time. I suggest you start early in the morning, so that you can cross trichy for bfast. 4 Laning is going on between trichy and dindigul and this would take you sometime to complete. Though when i did this 2 weeks back things were lot better. Post dindigul again road conditions will change to good to very good all the way upto Munnar. Total distance from chennai should be around 575 Kms approx.

I was planning to break in madurai if trip is getting delayed.
You wouldnt go through Madurai if you are taking the above route. There is another alternate route to Munnar that goes through Chennai-Krishnagiri-Mettur-bhavani-Perundurai-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet-Munnar. This route is longer by around 50-60 Kms but more scenic, however the last time i did this route, Mettur-Bhavani stretch was in horrible shape. I will suggest you to stick to chennai-trichy route for now.
Old 19th March 2010, 20:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

The smooth road is NH4/NH46/NH7/NH47 (Chennai Vellore Krishnagiri/ Mettur/ Bhavani/ Perindurai/Kangeyam/Dharapuram/Udumalpettai/Munnar.)

If you dont want to go via Mettur, you can take the regular bypass from Salem through to NH47. If you want to take a break you can stay at Salem overnight. That would allow you to get a good scenic view of the drive during day time over the Munnar ranges. Its worth it.

Please note that NH47 bypasses Perindurai. You need to go into Perindurai town as per the direction shown on the NH47 before Perindurai.

Then its all state highway.

Last edited by ampere : 19th March 2010 at 20:13.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:33   #22
BHPian

Finally decided on Munnar against Coorg or CMG for this time, thanks to Wifey's friend

Now routes -As Ampere says -
Chennai Vellore Krishnagiri/ Mettur/ Bhavani/ Perindurai/Kangeyam/Dharapuram/Udumalpettai/Munnar

this sounds interesting, is it fast? how much time will this route take.

I can also take - Chennai-Trichy-Madurai-Theni-Munnar.
Probably try both.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Chennai to Trichy is a breeze, I did that in about 4 and a half hours a couple of weeks back. Am told Trichy - Dindigul is not so great because of road work but should not be a major issue. Post Dindigul is a lovely 2 lane road all the way in plains. My suggestion is go via NH45 and come back via NH 46.

OT: Incidentally am planning to go to Valparai during May, want to relax in much more peaceful surroundings, hopefully should be able to close my accomodation in one of the estate bungalows.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:32   #24
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Just booked these places -
This is the place we are staying for 3 days - olivebrook

And 4th day to Thekkady, stay here -
Hotel Ambadi, Thekkady
Old 20th April 2010, 13:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Chennai to Trichy is a breeze, I did that in about 4 and a half hours a couple of weeks back. Am told Trichy - Dindigul is not so great because of road work but should not be a major issue. Post Dindigul is a lovely 2 lane road all the way in plains. My suggestion is go via NH45 and come back via NH 46.

OT: Incidentally am planning to go to Valparai during May, want to relax in much more peaceful surroundings, hopefully should be able to close my accomodation in one of the estate bungalows.
I did Trichy-Dindigul, not at all impressed. It slows me down like hell.

I really want to avoid this. I heard the route from Theni - Munnar is also very scenic.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Hey Guys,

Just booked these places -
This is the place we are staying for 3 days - olivebrook

And 4th day to Thekkady, stay here -
Hotel Ambadi, Thekkady
Oooh!!! Olivebrook seems to be very expensive. Ambadi looks more than average & hope they live up to their standards.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

@ Srikanth Trip adviser reviews do not seem to be great of Ambadi, why don't you look at may be Periyar House or something.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:51   #28
Team-BHP Support

I remember Theni-Munnar is nice as HVK sir mentioned.

But so is Udumalpet-Munnar I would say. Theni-Munnar is a part of NH49 which goes through Munnar to
the other end all the way to Ernakulam. (I have take that part of the stretch, but not the Theni side).

Never heard about Oliver Brook. Also they have not written where is the property in Munnar.
But the site is impressive.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Oooh!!! Olivebrook seems to be very expensive. Ambadi looks more than average & hope they live up to their standards.
I am not able to find anything as good as this for less. Do you know any places?
Old 20th April 2010, 15:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
I am not able to find anything as good as this for less. Do you know any places?
Give me sometime till Thursday, will speak to my folks in native & get back to you. BTW, what's your expectation on the place, price, number of days to stay & food preference?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks