Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 01:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Visiting Spain for the first time. Kindly guide me ...

Kmohanan
Hi.
It is not at all cold(I was there in may years back)
Only when I went up to Andorra in the pyrennes did I need a jacket.
If you like you can carry a small picture of goat,egg,fish,chicken from a children's book and put a cross as well as use sign language.Everybody would understand>I am a non vegetarian so it was not a problem
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 05:25   #17
BHPian

Hi Kmohanan.
It warmer now all over Europe. Tempratures in spain will be comfortable 20-22. Night might be upto 10 but anways everything from house to trams/buses are heated here. Still, as anekho suggested carry a jacket for emergency!

For 3-4 days you can carry Maggi cuppa mania 5-7 sufficient. Just add hot water ones. You can try to find salads and breads, some salad may contain non veg, so keep a watch. Also some people consider egg and fish as VEG! So keep that in mind if you ask it to someone. You will have to decide if its actually veg or not!

But still i would say, 3-4 days it so quick that you will not notice how time will pass! And dont worry, I had many Gujrati pure veg colleagues and the managed a month in Germany without any issues. If you have someone non-veg with you, ask him to experiment first and let you know whats veg and what not!

EDIT: You can eat french fries in plenty. the are the only thing I have seen, that is same all over the world! But find the correct spanish word for it, because when you say "French" Fries, the Spaniards will think ' "French"?? Huh.' French is different country for them! Similarily England is no special for them, and they dont like to speak in English, especially old people. So prefer to talk to youngsters and they speak english readily!

Last edited by noopster : 19th March 2012 at 11:48. Reason: Please use Edit Post function when posting again within 30 minutes
LP640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 10:51   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
I request all my BHP friends to kindly help me. Also, guide me on special attention areas like looting, terrorism etc...
Reply to your points as below,

a.Weatherwise you will not have any issues, guess it would be closer in temperatures to your homestate- Kerala.

b.Foodwise it is diificult to get Veg, but since your stay is for 3-4 days carry some stuff like MTR, etc.Alternately you could veg menu at McDonalds or stick to salads but confirm if it is Veg!

c. Yes would be available. Have a good breakfast (can be sure of Veg) and have a light lunch.

d.Am not sure from Delhi, better to fly into Frankfurt or Paris and connect to your destination to Spain from there.

Risk of looting, etc is there as in any other country. so be alert always! Language is a bit of a barrier.

Spain is an awesome place and enjoy your stay!

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th March 2012 at 10:52.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 12:06   #19
BHPian

In the last week of May, I am visiting Spain for 3-4 days. It is my first visit outside India. Since it is an official visit, my passport, tickets etc my company will take care. I want your help in a few specific aspects.

Returned from Spain on March 1st, answers inline:

(a) How is the weather in spain during this time ? Have I to take special clothing for protection from cold etc ?
Last week of feb and mar was pretty cold (5-5 Degs) and on the day we left (1st march) it was quite pleasant and the forecast was showing good days with pleasant climate ahead.

(b) I am a PURE vegetarian from KERALA. I do not even take egg. I do not consume fish also. Do you think, I can survive in Spain ? Whether I will get 'vegetarian' food in spain ? Do the meaning of their 'vegetarian' and indian 'vegetarian' same ? Or there is nothing called 'vegetarian' in spain ?

It depends on what you like in veg. Spanish restaurents have quite a tasty veg items on their menu (Dont remember the names though). I used to have boiled / stewed vegetables and i found it to very tasty. Also they have rice and curry kind of Spanish item which is well worth a try. But apart from these you have McD and Burger Kings, etc., which server veg burgers and s/ws.

(c) Good juices will be available ?

Yes lots of canned juices available and they are good

(d) How much time it take by flight from Delhi ? What is the most common route. Mostly we will be opting Air India. Whether there is direct connectivity by Air India from delhi to spain ?

I dont think there is direct flight from any part of India. Best options are transit through Paris, London, Dubai, Frankfurt and Zurich

Do let me know which place you are visiting in Spain, i might have more info.

I request all my BHP friends to kindly help me. Also, guide me on special attention areas like looting, terrorism etc...
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 21:32   #20
BHPian

Re: Travelling to Barcelona, Spain

Thanks to all my friends for the help. I have some more doubts..

a) How to carry cash ? Have I to convert to the currency here ? How much ? I have savings bank account in State Bank of India.
b) How is the cost of food etc ? What is the currency conversion with indian rupee ? Just to know the magnitudes of spending.
c) Medical assistance is very costly ? In case any medical assistance required, what is the general method ? Medical shops are available like in India ?
d) Contacting back home - email may be the best way ? How to access mails ? Internet cafes available ? Telephone ? or take laptop with connection ? Which connection is better ?
Old 19th March 2012, 22:21   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all my friends for the help. I have some more doubts.
a. Most convenient is carry the world money card( Citibank, etc)
b. Approx 25 euro per meal ( a bit on higher side)
c. Take the insurance policy ( usually done through the travel desk)
d. Most hotels the internet facility is complimentary. Sure you should carry your laptop.
e. mail could be used, if you need mobile facility try the Reliance phone card.it is quite economical.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 23:17   #22
BHPian

My travel to spain is in end may. Route is DELHI-LONDON-MADRID-LONDON-DELHI
What will be the climate in London in End May ? What kind of clothing required ?
Old 6th May 2012, 23:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
What will be the climate in London in End May ? What kind of clothing required ?

London should be pretty Balmy, with patches of sunshine and lots of rain. Carry a good umbrella, winds can be high as well. It can dip below 10 at night but nothing too bad. Either carry a fairly good jacket or buy one when you reach.A trench would be on top of my list.

Madrid should be pretty hot(not as bad as Kerala) but expect 30+ easily. Rains are not that common but you can never be too sure.
akshayasok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 21:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
London should be pretty Balmy, with patches of sunshine and lots of rain. Carry a good umbrella, winds can be high as well. It can dip below 10 at night but nothing too bad. Either carry a fairly good jacket or buy one when you reach.A trench would be on top of my list.

Madrid should be pretty hot(not as bad as Kerala) but expect 30+ easily. Rains are not that common but you can never be too sure.
Sorry, "Trench" is what ?
Old 10th May 2012, 22:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, "Trench" is what ?
"A trench coat is a raincoat made of waterproof heavy-duty cotton wool or leather. It generally has a removable insulated lining, and it is usually knee-length."

Source - Trench coat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically a coat you can use whether it be raining, snowing etc.(All Purpose)
akshayasok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 02:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan
You are transiting in London heathrow en-route to Spain. Hence I believe you will not be staying in London, so weather in London should not really matter as you will not be leaving the airport.

Am I missing something here?

BTW, am in London these days and weather is real bad. Lot of wind and rain and gloomy weather. It's cold but not extreme. Temperature in single digits at night.
Maibaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 22:47   #27
BHPian

Friends, some more doubts I have regarding my trip. Kindly help me.

(1) For mobile charging, whether the indian charger will be suitable there ? mechanically as well as electrically ? Buying one universal adapter will help ? What about voltage differences 230 V vs 150 v etc.
(2) I am planning to buy one 'CASH PASSPORT' card from Federal Bank. In addition, I think, some money I will have to keep as currency itself. I hope spain is having Euros and London/Manchester are having Great Briton Pounds. For buying food, small small items etc, what should be the denomination of currencies i have to take ? Eg. In India, we can suggest that one can take few 500 rupee notes, some more 100 rupee notes and for autos etc, few 50,20 and 10 rupee notes. Similar to that... kindly help me.
Old 25th May 2012, 23:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
You are transiting in London heathrow en-route to Spain. Hence I believe you will not be staying in London, so weather in London should not really matter as you will not be leaving the airport.

Am I missing something here?

BTW, am in London these days and weather is real bad. Lot of wind and rain and gloomy weather. It's cold but not extreme. Temperature in single digits at night.
(1) My travel is in end May. Route is DELHI-AMSTERDAM-ALICANTE(in spain). The travel in both of the above sectors is by KLM (Transavia Airlines). How is this airline ? A reputed one or low-quality one ? Reliable ? Safe ?
Old 3rd May 2015, 11:33   #29
BHPian

Car Rentals in Spain

I would be visiting Spain for work for nearly a month from late July to late August. I was thinking why not take this opportunity to visit a few places in Spain, a country I have never been to before.

Accordingly, I searched the net for car rentals in Barcelona (for a trip to the Pyrenees), Madrid ( for a trip to Toledo and Segovia), and Seville (for a trip to Ronda, Granada, Las Alpujarras etc).

I am very confused by the rates: they range from very low (for example, in sites like Kayak) to very high (like the sites of Hertz). I was initially thinking of hiring from Goldcar, a Spanish rental company, because rates looked reasonable and the car options were nice. But then I read on the TripAdvisor site that they do a lot of bad stuff, like claiming car damage two weeks after return of the car etc. TripAdvisor is basically advising against renting from such companies as Goldcar, and telling people to rent from the established folks like Hertz, Avis, and EuRopcar.

Folks, kindly advise me on this. My confusion is even greater when I find that between Hertz and Avis, there also exists a sizeable difference of rates.

My questions are as follows:

1) Which companies to rent from?

2) Given that I need to rent for about 8 full days at the above three locations (always picking up and returning at the airports), can I expect to get any discounts? Should I talk to Hertz India or Avis India and book through them?

3) What is the best fuel option? Get full tank and return full tank?

4) Are the accessories like GPS or mobile wi-fi really needed? How are the road-signs in Spain? I lived in Germany for four years a long time ago, and I drove in Germany, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary and always found the road signs to be sufficient.

5) Is the standard insurance package sufficient? Or should I take value additions?

6) Is automatic transmission something to be avoided in European car rentals, because I do not see much options there at all?

I would be thankful for your answers.
Old 11th October 2015, 22:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have to visit Barcelona, Spain in November on a official visit, for about a week. My wife & daughter will be joining me. I understand I would need a business visa, my wife & kid would need a tourist visa. I wouldn't be visiting any other country. I guess have to get Schengen Visa via Spanish Embassy.

My company travel agent said they don't do tourist visa. I thought I will get both mine, my wife's and my daughter's visa from same agent. Any suggestions? Any recommended agent in Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks