Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 15:09   #61
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Try not to push too much on the trip from angadipuram to kollur. I'd suggest stay at udupi for the night and leave early morning next day to kollur. You can reach kollur by 9 easily and have darshan and leave kollur after lunch around 12:30.

And as Parag points out, take the hassan - chennarayapatna - nice road route. No need to go to Tumkur.

Expect bad stretches from kasaragod till Mulki. Expect bad stretches from Kudremukha till kottigehara.
Rest of the route should be good. So expect around 200 kms of bad stretches in your total travel.

Don't worry too much about karnataka roads. Just slow down near puddles as you would not know how deep the craters can be in the above mentioned bad stretches.

Last edited by MX6 : 11th August 2010 at 15:12.
Old 11th August 2010, 19:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

@Parag - I'm little confused as Google map says the attached. Are you saying this is not the route to take?
A - CKM
B - Belur
C - Halebidu
D - Bangalore
Route Info Req : Chennai-Angadipuram-Udipi-Moogambigai-Mysore-Chamundi Hills-Chennai-m1.jpg

@MX6 - Well, from my Coorg trip, I'm nervous about KA because of too many jelebi letters with no English or even Hindi. Atleast TN is far better as they're against Hindi & not English.

I'll also revise as you said to stay in Udipi, finish off Kollur & Gokarnam in one day & reserve next day for Udipi, that way I'll stay 1D2N in Udipi instead of staying 1N in Udipi & 1N in Kollur.

Last edited by aargee : 11th August 2010 at 19:57.
Old 11th August 2010, 23:00   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Parag - I'm little confused as Google map says the attached. Are you saying this is not the route to take?
A - CKM
B - Belur
C - Halebidu
D - Bangalore
What the Map shows is also correct but not the preferred route as it is via NH206 that you join from Arasikere all the way till Bangalore via Tumkur.

Stick to the below route without any further confusion:

Chikmagalur - Belur 22 Kms
Belur - Halebidu - 16 Kms
Halebidu - Hagare - 10 Kms
Hagare - Hassan - 20 Kms
Hassan- Kunigal - 114 Kms

After Kunigal town, deviate right towards Magadi (watch for Indo-Spanish Tasty foods on the LHS just after Kunigal town ends and take the next right which is around 300-500 meters after that.

Follow the road signs (you can clearly see Bangalore on the boards and wont miss it). Pass Magadi town and continue further to NICE Road intersection and get onto NICE Road and decide to proceed further towards Electronics City (Hosur Rd) or elsewhere as planned.
Old 12th August 2010, 00:11   #64
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Here's the route you should take Aargee.
Route Info Req : Chennai-Angadipuram-Udipi-Moogambigai-Mysore-Chamundi Hills-Chennai-route.jpg

And don't worry about jalebees. Karnataka people are one of the friendliest. You can stop anywhere and ask anyone for directions. And they also speak good hindi so any outsider can manage.

The main issue in taking the nice road for you would be to go over to KRpura which is at the exact other side of Bangalore. Nice road doesn't extend till there.
So I'd suggest that take the NH48 till Nelamangala, get on to NH4, then exit at Yeshwantpura towards Hebbal and take the outer ring road to Banaswadi and then to KR pura. Nice road will take you till NH7 from where you need to take the outer ring road AC wise to reach KR pura which i feel is going to take the same time with additional cost, nevertheless easier to navigate as it's pretty straight forward.

Last edited by MX6 : 12th August 2010 at 00:20.
Old 12th August 2010, 06:46   #65
Team-BHP Support

As Parag mentioned earlier, Nelamangala strecth seems to have eased out a bit now a days. Hence once you are at Belur/Halibeid drive through, hit NH48 and drive all the way till NH4 to Nelamangala. Turn right to Bangalore.
Old 12th August 2010, 07:30   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As Parag mentioned earlier, Nelamangala strecth seems to have eased out a bit now a days. Hence once you are at Belur/Halibeid drive through, hit NH48 and drive all the way till NH4 to Nelamangala. Turn right to Bangalore.
Yes, on my recent return from Belur last Tuesday evening I continued on NH48 from Kunigal(I usually do) and it was definitely better with 3 bridges functional after Nelemangala towards Bangalore city. In case planning KR Puram, try what MX6 suggests (ORR) which would be the quickest bet to reach. If continuing to Hosur, take the Magadi Rd and NICE to exit the city.
Old 12th August 2010, 08:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Ok, Thanks a ton guys @MX6, @Parag & @Ampere. I'll follow the route via Halebidu-Hassan-Kunigal-Bangalore. I'll revise the plan to stay at Udipi for 1D2N & post it here. Reviewing each time is really getting better. Trust me, since the start of this plan till now, my confidence has more than 100 times. Unless you guys told me what to do, I would've lost in confusion & sticked to KL only. If it were only myself, Wifey & children I would've not bothered much. Since my Mother is accompanying, she gets tensed up if she feels I'm getting lost as what to do. Now this plan is going to help us several fold. Thanks guys.

Last edited by aargee : 12th August 2010 at 08:10.
Old 12th August 2010, 09:43   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes, on my recent return from Belur last Tuesday evening I continued on NH48 from Kunigal(I usually do) and it was definitely better with 3 bridges functional after Nelemangala towards Bangalore city. In case planning KR Puram, try what MX6 suggests (ORR) which would be the quickest bet to reach. If continuing to Hosur, take the Magadi Rd and NICE to exit the city.
The only issue on ORR is the NH4/Hebbal stretch. It can get pretty crowded you can be at the centre of a traffic jam at the railway crossing. But since Aargee will have difficulty finding roads inside Bangalore, ORR is safest bet to not loose his way.

And again as Parag said, if you plan to go to Hosur take the Magadi route. The only issue there is that you will need to find the right diversion towards Magadi.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:00   #69
Senior - BHPian

Leaves approved

Revised plan that includes 2N1D at Udipi.
Route Info Req : Chennai-Angadipuram-Udipi-Moogambigai-Mysore-Chamundi Hills-Chennai-a1.jpg

Saturday Start from Chennai & reach Wadakkanchery by evening
Places of Interest - None
Accomodation - No issues
Route - Chennai-Krishnagiri-Salem-Palakkad-Thrissur-Wadakkanchery
Eat Out - Breakfast at Thoppur; lunch probably at Coimbatore/Palakkad

Sunday - Visit Guruvayoor, if possible (due to Onam crowd may not be possible though) & take good rest & visit nearby temples like Uthraalikaavu
Accomodation - No issues
Route - Nil

Monday - Visit Angadipuram as early as possible & reach Udipi by evening or night; stay Monday night + Tuesday
Udipi (Angadipuram - Udipi) - 360 Kms
Places of Interest - Malpe/Kaup beach; Navaratna theru going around the car street and visit all the three temples there;
Accomodation -
  1. Hotel Sharada International on the highway
  2. Ramakrishna Lodge - Just beside Geetanjali theater and 10 minutes walk to the temple; 600/day for a room with 2 extra beds; food OK
  3. Kediyoor hotel
  4. Hotel Karavali
Eat out - good icecream parlour called Dwarika which also serves fast food; mitra samaj opp krishna temple
Fuel - Fill petrol opposite Gitanjali theatre

Tuesday - Morning darshan at Kollur & surrounding & reach back to Udipi by evening, if possible have darshan at Udipi temples too
Kollur (Udipi - Kollur) - 80 Kms
Places of Interest - Maravanthe beach near Kundapura for sunset; Sowparnika river; depending on time, interest & health, Gokarnam
Accomodation -
  1. Devi Krupa Lodge near the temple west gate
  2. Hotel Ashwathi at Mookambika, Ph: 08254258334
  3. Bina Rsidency 08254-258258
  4. Lalithambika
  5. OR ELSE Proceed to Kundapura - Hotel Sharon there is a good place
Route - Takes 2 hours drive from Udipi
Eat Out - Have lunch at Temple;

Wednesday - Morning darshan at Udipi & surrounding & leave to Sringeri; noon lunch at Udipi or Sringeri & stay Wednesday night
Sringeri (Udipi - Sringeri) - 95 Kms
Places of Interest - Enroute Agumbe Sunset point; Cross over to Narasimha Vana to attend the puja of Chandramouleeshwara Spatika Lingam at 9PM
Accomodation - Yatri Nivas (state you want to attend the night puja)
Route - Udipi - Agumbe - Sringeri; beware of ghat section being a first timer. Takes 3 hours drive
Eat Out - Lunch at Singeri Mutt or any Brahmin mess

Thursday - Morning breakfast at Sringeri; Lunch at Horanadu & reach CKM by evening of Thursday
Horanadu (Sringeri - Kudremukha - Kalasa - Horanadu - Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Vastara - Chikmagalur)
Places of Interest - Annapoorneshwari Temple
Accomodation at Sringeri -
  1. Hotel Durgamba - just before entering the temple town, on to the left; 500+ on weekdays and 700+ on weekends and holidays; Rooms on the first floor
  2. Rooms at the the choultry run by the temple authorities (Question - What should I do for this? A simple walk in will help?)
Eat Out - ??? (Any help with specific hotel in Horanadu?)

Friday - Morning breakfast at CKM, lunch probably at Tumkur & reach Bangalore/Hosur by evening
Chikmagalur (Belur - Halebidu - Tumkur - Bangalore - Hosur) - 500 Kms
Places of Interest - Rathnagiri - park; Dattatreya peeta - temple; Bhadra tiger reserve
Accomodation - GreenDale homestay
Route - Sringeri - Agumbe/Kalkar - CKM one of the routes
Eat Out - ??? (Any help with a good place in enroute? Tumkur?)

Saturday - Start from Bangalore/Hosur; visit Hosur; reach Chennai before evening

Route to follow from Chikmagalur
CKM - Belur - Halebidu - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - NICE - Hosur - Chennai

Enroutes places of additional interest
  1. On way from Udipi to Kollur - Anegudde Ganesha temple
  2. On way from Udipi to Sringeri - small ganesha temple at Someshwara

Last edited by aargee : 12th August 2010 at 12:15.
Old 12th August 2010, 15:48   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Friday - Morning breakfast at CKM, lunch probably at Tumkur & reach Bangalore/Hosur by evening
Chikmagalur (Belur - Halebidu - Tumkur - Bangalore - Hosur) - 500 Kms
Places of Interest - Rathnagiri - park; Dattatreya peeta - temple; Bhadra tiger reserve
Accomodation - GreenDale homestay
Route - Sringeri - Agumbe/Kalkar - CKM one of the routes
Eat Out - ??? (Any help with a good place in enroute? Tumkur?)

Enroutes places of additional interest
  1. On way from Udipi to Kollur - Anegudde Ganesha temple
  2. On way from Udipi to Sringeri - small ganesha temple at Someshwara
argee, again I am reading Tumkur is in your route and a stopover for eating as well !

There is no need to pass Tumkur whether you want to stay in Bangalore (KR Puram) or continue towards Hosur. Of course, Tumkur Road is what will come into picture Nelemangala Onwards. Also, via NH48 is the preferred route and is in good condition.

I will suggest 2 options as below:

Option1 (if opting to stay in Bangalore)

Chikmagalur-Belur - 22Kms

Belur-Halebidu - 16 Kms

Halebidu-Hagare - 10kms

Hagare-Hassan - 20Kms

Hassan-Chennarayapatna-Hirisave-Bellur Cross-Yediyur Cross-Kunigal-Nelemangala-Tumkur Road-Bangalore- 184Kms (This is via NH48 from Hassan onwards)

Option2 (If going to Hosur directly)

Chikmagalur-Belur - 22Kms

Belur-Halebidu - 16 Kms

Halebidu-Hagare - 10kms

Hagare-Hassan - 20Kms

Hassan-Chennarayapatna-Hirisave-Bellur Cross-Yediyur Cross-Kunigal-Magadi Town-NICE road-Electronics city (Hosur road)- Hosur

Deviation for Magadi Road:

1.You will realise when Kunigal town ends and surely wont miss an industrial board on the left on a building that reads "INDO SPANISH TASTY FOODS".

2.Once you see this board, you'll also realise that 4 laning work starts again. IIRC, almost after 300-500 meters there will be a road onto your right which is the road that will take you to Magadi town (around 25 Kms)

3.Here onwards signages will be good enough to take you all the way till NICE where you might read signs for Electronics City, Hosur, Bannerghatta Road, Kanakapura Road and Mysore Road.

4.The road you are on now (Magadi road) intersects NICE road below and you will have to take the NICE corridor towards the direction of "right" and hence buy toll for HOSUR Road.

Way to reach KR Puram:

1. Continue from Kunigal towards Nelemangala (around 35 kms from Kunigal town) and turn right below the overbridge to join a road which will take you to Bangalore.

2.If all the bridges are open, you can get over them (all of them) till you finally descend at the next traffic signal called Goreguntepalya. This signal has just a wall on LHS while there is a right. Continue straight another 200 meters as you'll see another signal and take left and now you are on the Outer Ring Road (ORR).

3.As soon as you take left, you'll pass a railway gate and further ahead a signal called BEL Circle. Continue straight.

4.Hardly 200 meters further, another signal called Kuvempu Circle, continue straight.

5.Another signal with Big Bazaar on the left, continue straight.

6.Hebbal Signal (with lots of grade separators and flyover above the signal), continue straight.

Grade separator work is going on big time from here onwards.

7.Nagawara Signal (Work in Progress) - Continue straight.

8.HRBR Layout Signal (Work in Progress) - Continue straight.

9. Kammanahalli Signal (Work in Progress) - Continue straight.

10. Banaswadi/Horamavu Underpass (Completed) - Pass below, continue straight.

11. Ramamurthynagar underpass (Completed_ - Pass below, continue straight.

12. About 2 kms ahead, you'll get onto a loop and descend after a curve that bends left and you will see a huge cable bridge ahead (which goes to Kolar) and also road on the left hand side below it that goes to Whitefield.

Depending on where you want to reach in KR Puram, ask for directions and take the road over the cable bridge or the one below it.

From step 3 onwards till 11, don't really bother about the names of these signals as you may not find them explicitly mentioned most of the places but I am including them for your reference/help.

All the you need to bother for is when you see a Cable stayed bridge as you descend down which is actually KR Puram.

Places to eat between Chikmagalur and Bangalore:

1. Belur - Vishnu Regency and Sumukha Regency (Both are very close to the temple)

2. Hoysala village Resort (Belur-The Restaurant) about 6 Kms before Hassan.

3. Suvarna Regency, Shri Krishna in Hassan town (BM Road).

4. KAMAT and Aadya's Athiti near Udayapura (around 25 kms from Hassan towards Chennarayapatna). There is also a Cafe Coffee day attached to the IOC outlet where KAMAT is attached.

5. Mayura at Bellur Cross.

6. Cafe Coffee day attached to HPCL station.

All of these are veg restaurants barring CCD outlets.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th August 2010 at 15:51.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:28   #71
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Parag; my sincere apologies for not updating the Lunch section though I've taken the Magadi route
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
There're few glitches in the plan, but overall, I'm very confident of what I should be doing except at accomodation on Sringeri, which I'll seek help of MX6 & update here.

Thanks Parag once again; I'll not take Tumkur route; I assure you

The route you gave from CKM, is much more than excellent. Last time when we drove from Mysore to Bangalore, we missed the NICE road due to which we entered into industrial layout at night & we had to drive in between big trailers & our WagonR looked like a mosquito in front of big Elephants; we also had to take some wrong ways to get into Hosur road.

With your route on CKM-Hosur, I'm sure not to go wrong this time. Infact I wanted to ask Ampere about this, but, then somehow I guess your read my mind. Thank you very much.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:06   #72
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Accomodation in Sringeri is very simple. You go to sringeri. There's the reception office on the main road near the entrance to the temple. Stop your car a bit further away as it's a busy road.
Walk in and tell them that you have come from Chennai with your family and would like to stay there for a night.
They'd give you mutt rooms. You are assured of a room in Sringeri anytime except during Navaratri. Only during navaratri it gets extremely crowded.
At the extreme case of not getting mutt acco, there are enough hotels there. So no worries at all.
Also note that there's a place called Maruthi nilaya (Brahmin lunch home) where you get excellent Idly, Bonda and filter coffee in the same road as the reception office. There's another one too in Bharathi street (forgotten the name).
I prefer Maruti nilaya over the other one which is also good.
Food I have only in the mutt (lunch and dinner).
Old 13th August 2010, 13:14   #73
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Ok, I'll follow this ditto; gives me confidence too. My cousin is not accompanying the trip & hence, its myself, Wifey, Mother with 2 little rascals only. Hopefully nothing goes wrong as things sounds perfect to me. I'll post a query on the route on Angadipuram to Udipi on a different thread, may be routes on KL or KA. Thanks so much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks