Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 14:13   #31
Team-BHP Support

Your Thursday plan of Murdeshwar-CKM looks like only a drive plan.
If that is the case, instead of CKM you also play to stay at Sringeri.

Else if you can start early to reach CKM by afternoon, you can take the day off, enjoy the place and start late next day to reach Hosur.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

@Ampere - But what's there in CKM? Yes like MX6 says, I'll plan to stay in Sringeri.
@MX6 - I'm blown away sir; really blown away with the plan you drew. Trust me, we're going to blindly follow it. I owe you one man!!!
Old 27th July 2010, 15:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Ampere - But what's there in CKM? Yes like MX6 says, I'll plan to stay in Sringeri.
@MX6 - I'm blown away sir; really blown away with the plan you drew. Trust me, we're going to blindly follow it. I owe you one man!!!

Actually there is nothing to see in Chikmagalur. It serves as a base to travellers who visit the region. You can stay over at Chikmagalur as it has good accommodation facilities. You can take a pit stop in Hassan alternatively. But since you might want to visit Belur and Halebid temples, staying in Ckm will be feasible. Belur & Halebid lie between Hassan and Chikmagalur.

@MX6: Whew!! that was one comprehensive itinerary.
Old 27th July 2010, 20:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
You can stay over at Chikmagalur as it has good accommodation facilities.
I'm confused!!!
See the posts here...
1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1841683-post.html
2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1841698-post.html

Looks like CKM has only homestays, which we don't prefer. Do we've an option?

A random search for Udipi/Kollur/Chikmagalur gave me dozens of links in TBhp & here're they...
1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...und-udipi.html
2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-kollur.html
3. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ore-udupi.html
4. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html
5. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...aces-stay.html
6. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ur-mumbai.html
7. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...al-series.html
8. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ikmagalur.html
9. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ikmagalur.html
10. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...glur-trip.html
11. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...reen-dale.html
12. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ay-2010-a.html

Next couple of days, I'm going to browse all the 12 threads & write down tips, pointers & share the crux here.

@MX6 - I can't Thank enough for your help; I don't know what's there in Murdeshwar & Gokarna, but I tend to believe there're some temples that we may not miss coming from so far. Anyway, I'll first understand the itinerary, distance, route, accommodation, places of interest at each place before adding Murdeshwar & Gokarna as they seem to be far off from Udipi.

Last edited by aargee : 27th July 2010 at 20:13.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:03   #35
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Gokarna has a Shiva temple.
Here's the legend behind it.
Ravana tried lifting Kailas to take to Lanka. Shiva gets angry and stomps his foot down crushing ravana's hands and fingers. Now Ravana makes a veena out of his nerves and plays it and prays to shiva.
Shiva now is happy with ravana's penance and he gives him one of the Atma lingas. The catch is that ravana should not leave it down anywhere till he reaches lanka.
Rest of the world fear that if Ravana installs atma linga in lanka, he will be supreme.
So they ask Ganesha to foil that attempt.
Ganesha takes the form of a cow herd and goes to meet ravana enroute. Now ravana wants to do his evening duties and he can't keep the atma linga down so he asks the boy to hold it till he comes back, without realising it's Ganesha in disguise.
Ganesha promptly ploncks it down and vanishes.
Ravana comes back and sees the linga on the ground and tries to break it free. But he's unable to do so. So he had to return to lanka empty handed.
The place where the atma linga was left by ganesha is now called Gokarna.
Now a sub legend states that when ravana used all his might, a part of the linga chipped and flew and fell in another spot near the sea shore. That spot came to be known as Murdeshwara.
Gokarna is ok to visit. Murdeshwara is now more commercial.
But you can easily accomodate them this way.
Tuesday proceed to kollur in the morning after visiting anegudde.
After lunch get off from kollur and drive to murdeshwara.
Stay at RNS for the night after darshan.
Wednesday morning proceed to Gokarna and then drive from there to jog - sagara - thirthahalli - sringeri and reach sringeri in the evening.
Check in to the choultry room at sringeri and proceed to night puja
thursday proceed as per earlier itinerary.
Remember, you might have heavy rains in murdeshwara and gokarna. So don't venture in to the beach. Anyway om beach at gokarna is out of bounds for your mother as it involves considerable walking.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:19   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like CKM has only homestays, which we don't prefer. Do we've an option?
RG, CKM does have hotels to stay apart from the homestays. "Planter's court", "Gateway" (Taj Garden Retreat Before) and Cafe Coffe Day's "Serai" and a few more decent places for an overnight stay. The mentioned 3 places may or may not fall within one's budget depending on the Vitamin-M spending planned for the trip!

I have not read this thread completely but if you are reaching CKM via Hassan then opt for Hassan for the stay which is just an Hour's drive from CKM (60kms). The options here are better and plenty including Hoysala Resort which is on the Belur Road apart from other low budget hotels as well.

If you intend to visit Belur (25kms from CKM and 36 kms from Hassan) , you can stay in Belur as well and I can possibly help you in getting an accomodation in one of the hotels here since I belong to this place. It certainly wont be a star hotel but a good enough place to stay and relax to start next morning.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th July 2010 at 23:28.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Went through all the above dozen posts & could come up with a summary; much clear now

@MX6 - Here's a rough sketch I planned based on your guidance
Murudeshwar - Yes, I saw some pics from Google & looks like its more of commercial. Sorry not our cup of cake & Thanks for the warning.
GoKarnam - Yes, I'm aware of the story, but never knew Gokarnam is associated with this; I'll keep my travel plan trying to cover this as you said.
We were intially thinking of driving from Angadipuram to Udipi, but for now, we'll plan to drive from Angadipuram to Kollur (the farthest north) & then start driving south; should be better right?

Monday evening reach Kollur & stay 1 night; Tuesday darshan at Kollur & surrounding
Kollur (Angadipuram - Udipi - Kollur) - 440 Kms
Places of Interest - Maravanthe beach near Kundapura for sunset; Sowparnika river
Accomodation -
  1. Devi Krupa Lodge near the temple west gate
  2. Hotel Ashwathi at Mookambika, Ph: 08254258334
  3. Bina Rsidency 08254-258258
  4. Lalithambika
  5. OR ELSE Proceed to Kundapura - Hotel Sharon there is a good place
Route - Takes 2 hours drive from Udipi
Eat Out - Have lunch at Temple;

Tuesday evening reach Udipi & stay 1 night; Wednesday darshan & leave to Sringeri for Lunch
Udipi (Kollur - Udipi) - 80 Kms
Places of Interest - Malpe/Kaup beach; Navaratna theru going around the car street and visit all the three temples there;
Accomodation -
  1. Hotel Sharada International on the highway
  2. Ramakrishna Lodge - Just beside Geetanjali theater and 10 minutes walk to the temple; 600/day for a room with 2 extra beds; food OK
  3. Kediyoor hotel
  4. Hotel Karavali
Eat out - good icecream parlour called Dwarika which also serves fast food; mitra samaj opp krishna temple
Fuel - Fill petrol opposite Gitanjali theatre

Wednesday lunch at Sringeri stay 1 night
Sringeri (Udipi - Sringeri) - 95 Kms
Places of Interest - Enroute Agumbe Sunset point; Cross over to Narasimha Vana to attend the puja of Chandramouleeshwara Spatika Lingam at 9PM
Accomodation - Yatri Nivas (state you want to attend the night puja)
Route - Udipi - Agumbe - Sringeri; beware of ghat section being a first timer. Takes 3 hours drive
Eat Out - Lunch at Singeri Mutt or any Brahmin mess

Thursday morning brekfast at Sringeri; Lunch at Horanadu & reach CKM or Hassan by end of Thursday
This is combined because, we're not sure where we would drive upto, CKM or Hassan
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Horanadu (Sringeri - Kudremukha - Kalasa - Horanadu)
Places of Interest - Annapoorneshwari Temple
Accomodation -
  1. Hotel Durgamba - just before entering the temple town, on to the left; 500+ on weekdays and 700+ on weekends and holidays; Rooms on the first floor
  2. Rooms at the the choultry run by the temple authorities
Eat Out - ???

Chikmagalur (Horanadu - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Vastara - Chikmagalur) - 180 Kms + X
Places of Interest - Rathnagiri - park; Dattatreya peeta - temple; Bhadra tiger reserve
Accomodation - GreenDale homestay
Route - Sringeri - Agumbe/Kalkar - CKM one of the routes
Eat Out - Kamat 2-3KM before Dobbaspet (Dobasppet important because you can will find diversions to Devenhalli via Dodballapur);

Hassan - 240 Kms
Places of Interest - Belur & Halebidu
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday - Visit Belur & Halebidu & leave towards Chennai; stay at Bangalore/Hosur by evening

Saturday - Start from Bangalore/Hosur; visit Hosur; reach Chennai before evening

Route to follow from Hassan
Hassan - Tumkur - Bangalore - Hosur - Chennai

Enroutes places of additional interest
  1. On way from Udipi to Kollur - Anegudde Ganesha temple
  2. On way from Udipi to Sringeri - small ganesha temple at Someshwara
Questions
1. Is route on Agumbe so terrible in rains? I don't mind waiting at the side of road even if it rains like hell; to be frank, I love driving in rains. I like to enjoy the scenic drive. What's your opinion?
a. Udipi - Hebri - Agumbe - Sringeri
b. Udipi - Karkala - Sringeri

2. I hope to drive through the Ghat section on 1a. Am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania
If you intend to visit Belur (25kms from CKM and 36 kms from Hassan) , you can stay in Belur as well and I can possibly help you in getting an accomodation in one of the hotels here since I belong to this place. It certainly wont be a star hotel but a good enough place to stay and relax to start next morning
Yes, thanks for the suggestion, your post gave me the idea to drive from Sringeri to Hassan instead of staying over CKM. And yes, I don't look for 5 star accomodation especially when travelling with Mother & Kids; a clean & safe (including car) accomodation is my expectation. Anyway, we haven't decided to stay at Hassan or CKM as of now, but in case of Hassan, your help is much appreciated. Tks.

Last edited by aargee : 28th July 2010 at 12:29. Reason: Add more contents
Old 28th July 2010, 12:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chikmagalur (Horanadu - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Vastara - Chikmagalur) - 180 Kms + X
Places of Interest - Rathnagiri - park; Dattatreya peeta - temple; Bhadra tiger reserve
Accomodation - GreenDale homestay
Route - Sringeri - Agumbe/Kalkar - CKM one of the routes
Eat Out - Kamat 2-3KM before Dobbaspet (Dobasppet important because you can will find diversions to Devenhalli via Dodballapur);
If you go via Hassan there is no need to go to Dobaspet. Dobaspet comes on NH4 and Hassan-Bangalore road is NH48. It will be easier to take the NICE road and enter Hosur road to avoid Bangalore. Dobaspet-Doddaballapur-Devanahalli road is fesible only if you plan to take the Old Madras road out of Bangalore. Also to reach Dobaspet, you will have to take CKM-Belur-Halebid-Banavara-Arsikere-Tumkur-Dobaspet route or if you don't visit Belur and Halebid, you can take CKM-Kadur-Arsikere-Tumkur-Dobaspet route.

Quote:
Friday - Visit Belur & Halebidu & leave towards Chennai; stay at Bangalore/Hosur
If you intend to visit Belur and Halebid, it will be more feasible to stay in Chikmagalur. Hotel Planter's Court is good and should be easy on the wallet too. There are a few more lodges on IG road. Laluks had stayed in one of the lodges. I don't remember his review though. You can visit Muthodi (Bhadra Tiger Reserve) from Chikmagalur or take a break for one more day and visit Kemmangundi, Mullianagiri and Bababudangiri.

Quote:

Question
1. Is route on Agumbe so terrible in rains? I don't mind waiting at the side of road even if it rains like hell; to be frank, I love driving in rains. I like to enjoy the scenic drive. What's your opinion?
a. Udipi - Hebri - Agumbe - Sringeri
b. Udipi - Karkala - Sringeri

2. On enroute from Sringeri to Chikmagalur, which is best in terms of both road + scenic + safety?
a. Via Bhadra wildlife forest
b. Sringeri - Kudremukh - Horanadu - Kottigehara - Mudigere - CKM
If you love driving in the rains, there should be no problem at all. Both of the routes are equally scenic. The Agumbe route will be shorter to reach Sringeri though. Agumbe ghat is shorter and after that it is an almost straight road to Sringeri.

Sringeri Chikmagalur route only passes through the outskirts of Bhadra Tiger Reserve. The best route would be Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur. The road is (was) good. To reach Bhadra (Muthodi), you can go to Chikmagalur and then continue from there or take a left after Aldur towards Joldal and Mallandur and then to Muthodi. But I doubt if it is worth visiting Bhadra this season as there will be no safari in the rain.

The second route is also fine, but it is way longer and takes a lot more time and it is tiring since the road is narrow and winding, but it is more scenic than the above mentioned route.

Quote:
Yes, thanks for the suggestion, your post gave me the idea to drive from Sringeri to Hassan instead of staying over CKM. And yes, I don't look for 5 star accomodation especially when travelling with Mother & Kids; a clean & safe (including car) accomodation is my expectation. Anyway, we haven't decided to stay at Hassan or CKM as of now, but in case of Hassan, your help is much appreciated. Tks.
In Hassan, there are a few Hotels

1. Hotel Suvarna Regency
2. Hotel Southern Star
3. Hotel Shri Krishna
4. Hotel Jewel Rock

All these are located on the main BM Road in Hassan and are good. There is one Hotel Hassan Ashhok (formerly ITDC owned) which is a bit expensive. As Parag mentioned, there is the Hoysala Village Resort, but it will be a bit expensive just for a stopover.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 28th July 2010 at 12:51. Reason: typo and added new info
Old 28th July 2010, 15:24   #39
Team-BHP Support

As Addy said, while coming from CKM to BLR, you need to take a deviation towards Magadi from NH48, somewhere after Kunigal. That way you dont need to go to Nelamangala (which is the NH4/NH48 junction and currently source of all trouble. From Magadi continue on the road towards Bangalore (which is called Magadi road). You will then hit NICE road crossing. From then its easy.

Dobbaspet is as Addy said is a place beyond Nelamangala towards Tumkur and hence you will never need to go there (even if you were to go via Nelamangala)
Old 28th July 2010, 18:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige
If you go via Hassan there is no need to go to Dobaspet. Dobaspet comes on NH4 and Hassan-Bangalore road is NH48.
Thanks for the correction, will follow.

Quote:
It will be easier to take the NICE road and enter Hosur road to avoid Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampere
You will then hit NICE road crossing. From then its easy
Well we've few relatives at KR Puram & Mother might like to visit them. In that case we'll drive through Bangalore; we also have some folks put up at Hosur & we'll visit them for sure & hence the drive inside the city.

Quote:
Dobaspet-Doddaballapur-Devanahalli road is fesible only if you plan to take the Old Madras road out of Bangalore. Also to reach Dobaspet, you will have to take CKM-Belur-Halebid-Banavara-Arsikere-Tumkur-Dobaspet route or if you don't visit Belur and Halebid, you can take CKM-Kadur-Arsikere-Tumkur-Dobaspet route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampere
Dobbaspet is as Addy said is a place beyond Nelamangala towards Tumkur and hence you will never need to go there
Too much of confusion; better we'll never think of Dobaspet. Will remove from the route.

Quote:
If you intend to visit Belur and Halebid, it will be more feasible to stay in Chikmagalur. Hotel Planter's Court is good and should be easy on the wallet too.
I thought to drive some more time & save some time as I remember reading from one of the logs that the distance to these places from Hassan is 5-6 Kms lesser, not checked the map though. Anyway, will check the map before making revision on the route once again & post here.

Quote:
There are a few more lodges on IG road. Laluks had stayed in one of the lodges. I don't remember his review though. You can visit Muthodi (Bhadra Tiger Reserve) from Chikmagalur or take a break for one more day and visit Kemmangundi, Mullianagiri and Bababudangiri.
Ok; I'll review this route once again including time to see if we can accommodate these places en route.

Quote:
But I doubt if it is worth visiting Bhadra this season as there will be no safari in the rain.
Ok, will cancel the Bhadra forest visit

Quote:
In Hassan, there are a few Hotels

1. Hotel Suvarna Regency
2. Hotel Southern Star
3. Hotel Shri Krishna
4. Hotel Jewel Rock
Thanks a lot. This will be very handy

Quote:
As Parag mentioned, there is the Hoysala Village Resort, but it will be a bit expensive just for a stopover.
I hope this is somewhere close to Hassan right? Isn't it this one you're talking about? Looks very expensive.

Last edited by aargee : 28th July 2010 at 18:22.
Old 28th July 2010, 18:38   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope this is somewhere close to Hassan right? Isn't it this one you're talking about? Looks very expensive.
Yes, the same one and its actually on the Belur Road once you exit Hassan town on the left hand side. You wont miss it for sure.

As Addy mentions, this isn't going to be a place that one would look for just to relax and continue the journey.

Addy might also be able to help you with budget hotels/lodges in Hassan. For Belur and Chikmagalur I can surely help just in case.

@Addy. I know Suvrana, Sri Krishna and Kadamba or even Gurudev International in Hassan but not sure if they can be recommended. Any other new places which have come up that suits RG?

What are your thoughts? Just that there is not going to be any occasion when I would opt for a Lodging either in Belur, Hassan or Chikmagalur in my lifetime and hence wouldnt be experiencing it much either.

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th July 2010 at 18:41.
Old 29th July 2010, 13:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T

I thought to drive some more time & save some time as I remember reading from one of the logs that the distance to these places from Hassan is 5-6 Kms lesser, not checked the map though. Anyway, will check the map before making revision on the route once again & post here.
Actually, Belur and Halebid fall in between Chikmagalur and Hassan. Belur is approx 20 kms from Chikmagalur and Halebid is approx 15kms from Belur. Hassan is 30 kms from Halebid (direct road) or 40 kms from Belur. So, it will make sense to stay in Chikmagalur and visit these on the way.

You can start early from Chikmagalur, visit Belur and Halebid and still be in Bangalore by evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes, the same one and its actually on the Belur Road once you exit Hassan town on the left hand side. You wont miss it for sure.

As Addy mentions, this isn't going to be a place that one would look for just to relax and continue the journey.

Addy might also be able to help you with budget hotels/lodges in Hassan. For Belur and Chikmagalur I can surely help just in case.

@Addy. I know Suvrana, Sri Krishna and Kadamba or even Gurudev International in Hassan but not sure if they can be recommended. Any other new places which have come up that suits RG?
Actually, I would recommend Hotel Southern Star. But, it could prove expensive. The others I have mentioned are fine enough for a night stopover. Btw, Gurudev is now Jewel Rock and has been newly renovated. I see lot of travelers stop over there now

Quote:
.... Just that there is not going to be any occasion when I would opt for a Lodging either in Belur, Hassan or Chikmagalur in my lifetime and hence wouldnt be experiencing it much either.
True. This holds good for me too.
Old 29th July 2010, 13:30   #43
Team-BHP Support

Aargee, dont miss Belur/Helebid. Its not any deviation at all. Its on the way from CKM to BLR.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

@Ampere - I will not miss Belur/Helebid. But the confusion prevails as where to stay - CKM or Hassan.

Guys, @addyhemmige & @paragsachania - The plan is to drive from Sringeri to CKM after visiting Horanadu. I'm thinking of driving upto Hassan, so the new plan is Sringeri to Hassan via Horanadu. Do you think its possible to cover Sringeri to Hassan in one day, most importantly, without the crew getting tired? That's more important.

Put it this way, if its on the way from CKM to Hassan, then I can start the next day, BUT the catch is, can I cover upto Hosur (worst case), again, without the crew getting tired?

Appreciate your help @paragsachania, @addyhemmige & @Ampere
Old 29th July 2010, 16:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Ampere - I will not miss Belur/Helebid. But the confusion prevails as where to stay - CKM or Hassan.

Guys, @addyhemmige & @paragsachania - The plan is to drive from Sringeri to CKM after visiting Horanadu. I'm thinking of driving upto Hassan, so the new plan is Sringeri to Hassan via Horanadu. Do you think its possible to cover Sringeri to Hassan in one day, most importantly, without the crew getting tired? That's more important.

Put it this way, if its on the way from CKM to Hassan, then I can start the next day, BUT the catch is, can I cover upto Hosur (worst case), again, without the crew getting tired?

Appreciate your help @paragsachania, @addyhemmige & @Ampere
Sringeri to Hassan is definitely doable in a day. The distance is approx 150-160 kms and it might take you around 4-4.5 hrs(?) with sedate driving and also considering that you will be driving in the ghats. If you go to Horanadu, you can probably add another 2 hours maybe. Again it depends, on how comfortable your crew is traveling in the ghats. Overall, I should say that It might not take more than 6 hours From Sringeri to Hassan via Horanadu.

So, if you leave Sringeri early, you can be in Hassan by evening after visiting Belur & if possible, Halebid too. The Sringeri to Chikmagalur might be tiring, but after Chikmagalur, it will be easy.

I'd suggest this itinerary
  • Leave Sringeri early morning (at 7.00 am) to Horanadu.
  • Route: Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehonnur-Magundi-Horanadu. Should take you 1.5 hours.
  • Finish darshan at Horanadu. Leave for Belur.
  • Route: Horanadu-Magundi-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur-Belur. Approx distance should be around 90 kms.
  • Visit Belur temple and leave for Halebidu. Halebidu is 15 kms from Belur
  • Visit temple and leave for Hassan.
  • Halebid to Hassan is 30kms, but the road is a single lane and is broken in places. You can instead take Halebid-Belur-Hassan, where the distance comes upto 55 kms, but the road is good.
  • Stay over at Hassan
  • Leave for Bangalore/Hosur in the morning leisurely.
  • Reach Bangalore in max 4 hours
The times I've given are just approximate. It may differ under actual conditions given that it will be raining for most of the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks