Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2010, 19:32   #1
BHPian

Hassan - Chitradurga : Route Queries

Guys !

I have a work-related travelling on Thursday, 1st April. I will be driving down to Hassan early in the morning and then going to Chitradurga & Davangere from there.

Someone has suggested me to take Hassan - Arsikere - Banavara - Kadur - Birur - Hosadurga - Holalkere - Chitradurga route.

Someone else has suggested that I can consider Banavar - Yagati - Hosadurga instead of Banavara - Kadur - Birur - Hosadurga.

However, both the guys have never travelled on these roads and have no idea about the road condition.

Wonder if any T-Bhpian has travelled on these routes. Greatly appreciate if someone can update on thease routes.
Old 28th March 2010, 20:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

See the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-thrissur.html
Old 28th March 2010, 22:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Hosadurga route which you mention is supposed to be in a bad shape and best avoided.

Even though it may be longer, to go to Chitradurga, it is best to go from Hassan to Bhadravathi via Tarikere and then go via Channagiri and Hollalkere. In case you want to go to Davangere first, then you can go via Shimoga and Honnali to Davangere.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have travelled in the Banavara-Hosadurga route once and it was in pretty bad shape. This was more than 5 years ago.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I have travelled in the Banavara-Hosadurga route once and it was in pretty bad shape. This was more than 5 years ago.
I have never known it to be in good condition ever!
Old 29th March 2010, 12:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
Guys !

Someone has suggested me to take Hassan - Arsikere - Banavara - Kadur - Birur - Hosadurga - Holalkere - Chitradurga route.

Wonder if any T-Bhpian has travelled on these routes. Greatly appreciate if someone can update on thease routes.
The above mentioned route.
Hassan-Arasikere-Kadur-Birur is in good condition & also it's scenic stretch , But I don't have much idea abt Birur - Hosadurga-Chitradurga stretch.
This is the shortest route

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The Hosadurga route which you mention is supposed to be in a bad shape and best avoided.

Even though it may be longer, to go to Chitradurga, it is best to go from Hassan to Bhadravathi via Tarikere
In case you want to go to Davangere first, then you can go via Shimoga and Honnali to Davangere.
Hmmmm this route sounds interesting, But will be quite longer.
Route to follow,
1. Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Kaimara-Lingadahally-Tarikere-Shimoga.
This road is EXCELLENT. Travelled in this route 15 days back.
Shimoga - Savalanga-Honnali-Malebennur-Davangere-Chitradurga
This road was in very good shape an year back when I had been to Harihara

2. Hassan-Arasikere-Kadur-Birur-Shimoga-Honnali-Davangere-Chitradurga

But as mentioned earlier, both these roads will be longer, but enjoyable
Old 29th March 2010, 20:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Even though it may be longer, to go to Chitradurga, it is best to go from Hassan to Bhadravathi via Tarikere and then go via Channagiri and Hollalkere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Hmmmm this route sounds interesting, But will be quite longer.
Route to follow,
1. Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Kaimara-Lingadahally-Tarikere-Shimoga.
Hats off to you HVK ! You sitting in Mumbai can direct us in our own neighbourhood

Thanks Sushrutha route suggested by you is interesting indded.

I have decided to mix HVK's & Sushrutha route, i.e. Belur - Chikmagalur - Lingadahally - Tarikere (= Sushrutha). Then Bhadravathi - Channagiri - Holalkere - C'durga (= HVK).

Anyway I will be in Hassan first. My client there has assured me that he will show me the best possible route. Fingers crossed !
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:06   #8
BHPian

...and he did give me best possible route. Just back from the trip Bangalore - Hassan - Chitradurga - Davangere - Tumkur - Bangalore.

I took following route from Hassan to Chitradurga as suggested by Hassan locals.

Hassan - 15 - Dudda - 38 - Tiptur - 41 - Huliyar - 49 - Hiriyur - 40 - Chitradurga. Total 183 kms. Time taken to cover this distance 3-1/2 hrs.

Road condition
Hassan - Dudda - Tiptur: Very rough surface but without potholes. I managed to travel at around 60 kmph speed on my Sparky. Two - three bad patches in between.

Tiptur - Huliyar - Hiriyur: Road surface is smooth. Potholes are patched. Very narrow roads at some places. Become wide and better as we get near to Hiriyur. Beware of Hidden humps near villages. These humps are invisible under hot sun.

This road is actually hiriyur - Bellary SH and I did see milestones indicating distance to Bellary at many places. Also, repair work is going on at many places. Hence this route could only get better from here on, I guess.

Last edited by BomBatt : 3rd April 2010 at 12:11. Reason: Forgot to mention time taken.
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took following route from Hassan to Chitradurga as suggested by Hassan locals.

Hassan - 15 - Dudda - 38 - Tiptur - 41 - Huliyar - 49 - Hiriyur - 40 - Chitradurga. Total 183 kms. Time taken to cover this distance 3-1/2 hrs.

Road condition
Hassan - Dudda - Tiptur: Very rough surface but without potholes. I managed to travel at around 60 kmph speed on my Sparky. Two - three bad patches in between.

Tiptur - Huliyar - Hiriyur: Road surface is smooth. Potholes are patched. Very narrow roads at some places. Become wide and better as we get near to Hiriyur. Beware of Hidden humps near villages. These humps are invisible under hot sun.

This road is actually hiriyur - Bellary SH and I did see milestones indicating distance to Bellary at many places. Also, repair work is going on at many places. Hence this route could only get better from here on, I guess.
Interesting find, BomBhatt! Thanks for the update. Where does one take the Dudda/Tiptur road from Hassan - from NH48 itself? Signages clear? Would you recommend driving the route till Hiriyur at night - or is it too lonely?
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:03   #10
BHPian

HVK, I had some work in Hassan city. From Hassan I drove towards Bangalore. There is a big junction known as Dairy circle. From here right turn takes you to Hassan - Bangalore NH 48 and driving straight takes you to Tiptur/Arsikere.

As soon as you cross Dudda, there is a "Y" cross. Left goes to Arsikere and Right to Tiptur.

I think, we can also get to this road from NH 48 itself. Check my trip-log taken when I was driving from Udupi to Bangalore (I have posted this in "The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore and Udupi" thread)

17166...002...14:50...Hassan bypass, Go straight (left goes to Hassan City)
17192...026...15:14...Kamat Upachar, LHS & Hotel Athithi, RHS
17197...005...15:18...Go straight, Left goes to Arsikere
17203...012...15:28...Chenraypatna

As can be seen, this is about 31 kms from Hassan bypass (Kamat Upachar can be a landmark to take this road), if you are driving from Hassan towards Bangalore OR about 6 kms from Channarayapatna (Right turn) if you are driving from Bangalore.

Triplog taken by my wife and she remembers seeing a board with a left arrow indicating Dudda and Arsikere.

As far as driving in night, yes it was somewhat lonely but wasn't scary. There are small villages every now and then and people are very friendly. Guys who are used to night driving can definitely take this route. Also, there is good mobile connectivity throughout (I have BSNL mobile).

Moreover, every 15-20 mins, I encountered KSRTC buses in both directions with Tumkur - Tiptur board.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting find, BomBhatt! Thanks for the update. Where does one take the Dudda/Tiptur road from Hassan - from NH48 itself? Signages clear? Would you recommend driving the route till Hiriyur at night - or is it too lonely?
BomBatt has given very good details on this. It is very easy to get on this road than onto NH48 (towards Bangalore) from Hassan city. Earlier, people used to mistake this road to be the actual Hassan-Bangalore road only to realise their mistake after reaching Tiptur. People did not know to take the right turn at Dairy circle (next to Hassan Dairy), because of bad signages and instead took the straight road to Dudda.
A few months back, this road was even more deadly than the infamous Shiradi Ghat.

Quote:
I think, we can also get to this road from NH 48 itself. Check my trip-log taken when I was driving from Udupi to Bangalore (I have posted this in "The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore and Udupi" thread)

17166...002...14:50...Hassan bypass, Go straight (left goes to Hassan City)
17192...026...15:14...Kamat Upachar, LHS & Hotel Athithi, RHS
17197...005...15:18...Go straight, Left goes to Arsikere
17203...012...15:28...Chenraypatna

As can be seen, this is about 31 kms from Hassan bypass (Kamat Upachar can be a landmark to take this road), if you are driving from Hassan towards Bangalore OR about 6 kms from Channarayapatna (Right turn) if you are driving from Bangalore.
This road cuts the Hassan-Tiptur road perpendicularly at a place called Gandasi. Continuing straight on this road takes you to Arsikere. There are clear signages after Channarayapatna. This is the Arsikere-Mysore road which passes through Gandasi-Channarayapatna-K R Pete-Pandavapura and joined the Bangalore-Mysore road at Srirangapatna.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 5th April 2010 at 13:26.
Old 30th October 2012, 17:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

re: Hassan - Chitradurga : Route Queries

Had been on a trip to Bijapur last weekend and had taken the Hassan-Chitradurga route to Hospet and from there to Bijapur. Here is an update on the road conditions.

I took the Hassan-Channarayapatna-Nuggehalli-Tiptur-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Chitradurga-Hospet-Bijapur route

Hassan-Channarayapatna: Good to decent. Road widening is happening and there are diversions

Channarayapatna-Nuggehalli-Tiptur: Decent road. There some potholed stretches and single lane for a few kms. Overall decent roads.

Tiptur-Huliyar: Typical SH, 2 lane roads, Few potholes here and there, but can be avoided, overall good

Huliyar-Hiriyur: Beautiful 2 lane roads. Watch out for speed breakers and undulations at a couple of places

Hiriyur-Chitradurga: Road works are happening and traffic is diverted to service roads, but good smooth surface

Alternatively, one can also take Hassan-Channarayapatna-Bellur Cross-Turuvekere-KB Cross-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Chitradurga route. This route has good roads all the way to Chitradurga.
Old 30th October 2012, 18:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Tiptur-Huliyar: Typical SH, 2 lane roads, Few potholes here and there, but can be avoided, overall good
Why not Hassan Tiptur SH? Is it that bad ?

Also how is Chitradurga-Hospet-Bijapur NH13?

As per wikipedia some sections have already been 4-laned.

EDIT : I saw your comments on another thread.

Last edited by ampere : 30th October 2012 at 18:03.
Old 30th October 2012, 18:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why not Hassan Tiptur SH? Is it that bad ?

Also how is Chitradurga-Hospet-Bijapur NH13?

As per wikipedia some sections have already been 4-laned.

EDIT : I saw your comments on another thread.
Hassan-Tiptur SH is totally non existent till Dudda (about 10-12 kms). I heard this from a friend who has his farm on this road and travels regularly. It seems roadwork had been started to re-lay this SH upto Tiptur, but last week I read in the Hassan local paper that the director of the company which was doing the roadwork got caught in some scam and hence the work had stopped. There was no information on when the work would resume.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 07:40   #15
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't even think about taking the Hassan-Tiptur/Arsikere road
(if you're in a sedan, even god can't help you!)

Locals had told me that 15Km stretch is extremely bad but I still tried it for about 3Km after which I gave up and turned back. From that point there were not even traces of the asphalted surface, it was pure off road terrain and I saw KSRTC buses swaying and creating a mudstorm

Ended up going back towards Channarayapatna and taking the Arsikere road via Gandasi. This road is in very good condition except for some patches when nearing Arsikere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks