Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 11:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
please, do not attempt to travel on this route by car/ by trek.
Thanks for the advice - will take up some other destination instead!
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Does this route exist then?

MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!

Chiplun to Pune route-route.jpg

Last edited by amitoj : 3rd May 2010 at 15:37.
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

As of now, the route from velha to birwadi partly do not exist.

The red colored part between birwadi [ read shivthar ghal] and velha [ read kelashi-madheghat] is planned ghat section known as Madheghat.

Madheghat is ancient ghat route.
The goverment of maharashtra has sanctioned this route and work will start in future. There is no budgetary allocation yet.

After completion of this madheghat road, that will be the nearest route between pune and mahad, less than 100 km.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 3rd May 2010 at 16:06.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
As of now, the route from velha to birwadi partly do not exist.

The red colored part between birwadi [ read shivthar ghal] and velha [ read kelashi-madheghat] is planned ghat section known as Madheghat.

Madheghat is ancient ghat route.
The goverment of maharashtra has sanctoined this route and work will start in future. There is no budgetary allocation yet.

After completion of this madheghat road, that will be the nearest route between pune and mahad, less than 100 km.
Thanks Ashish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
So Satguide is not the only wrong one. Bing's showing a non-existant route as well.

Any MMI owners can you throw your 2 cents worth of thoughts please?
MX6, you can add MMI to the list. It also shows non existent route. Although, the GPS may show a different route if configured to show "fastest" route, instead of "shortest".
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:29   #20
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the response Amitoj. The route you've coloured in red doesn't seem to exist. As per AP, there's road till Velhe. Beyond that he's not adviced to try. SATNAV suggested a route from the velhe to raigarh which I drove literally offroad in dense jungle/ hill terrain and after 5 kms decided to turn back. It was pure gravel.
Now I see MMI suggests a red line. That also I think doesn't exist. I took the Birwadi - Varandha ghat section back to bhor, Nasrapur and pune.

Edit: By the time I clicked on submit, noticed the Ghat Raja AP has already responded.

Happy to note that both MMI and Satnav have common source from where they pull up routes that are non-existant. Satnav is pure VFM. This weekend I'm planning to drive down to Harihareshwar through varandha ghat, then drive to diveagar and drive up the pirangut ghats.
Mon Ange (refer to Sanjay Kauls france logue) doesn't want to do two beaches. But I want to check both the ghat sections. So why miss out diveagar where one can drive on the sea shore when returning through pirangut. What's your take AP?

Last edited by MX6 : 3rd May 2010 at 16:32.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's your take AP?
If you are alone in the car or with your friends, you can do it comfortably but....
i guess you will be with your family and cute kid, then, it will be really pain in this oven of 43 degree.

The road from bhor to hirdoshi [ village just before varandha ghat top] is no no.

It will be better if you do it harihareshwar and dive agar via tamhini both way.

In the monsoon, you can enjoy greenery along varandha ghat and can visit shivthar ghal at the base of varandha.
it will be one day trip from pune.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:00   #22
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sir, I drove the varandha ghat section in the dead of the night one month back. Then I saw some websites where in the section looked very beautiful. So wanted to do it in day time to see how it is. Also wanted to see what madness made me drive this route in pitch darkness, where I saw a total of 6 odd vehicles the entire stretch from Birwadi to bhor.
Thanks for the compliments on my daughter. But 43 deg is no deterrent. Plus, I'm planning to start driving at 6 in the morning to avoid the heat. She loves the beaches. Let me see how it goes.
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:07   #23
BHPian

MX6, Varandha ghat is amazingly beautiful - especially the road near the Nira-Devghar dam/backwaters but as AP said the road is very poor near the top (just before the chai tapris). I did this ghat on my bike and loved it although my pillion certainly didn't
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:17   #24
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@abhay. I drove this route on 4th April (2 am to 4 am). So I'm ok with the condition (hoping it's not deteriorated). Since I did this in the dead of the night, I want to try this now in early morning.
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:40   #25
BHPian

If you are okay with the road, then you will love this road. I wish I had pic on this PC of that particular road now (its on my home pc) but then its better you see it for yourself.
Although I did that in cooler weather and with much greenery around at that time.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I see MMI suggests a red line.
Happy to note that both MMI and Satnav have common source from where they pull up routes that are non-existant.
That's red because i clicked on the corresponding point in the left pane.
Yeah, sadly MMI users like me wont be that happy
Old 14th December 2010, 18:27   #27
BHPian

Re: Chiplun to Pune route

I am planning to drive down to Guhagar from Pune on 19th Dec.

Plan 1 Route - Pune - Satara-Umbraj-Patan-Koynanagar-Chiplun-Guhagar

Has anyone travelled recently on the Umbraj-Patan-koynanagar-Chiplun stretch
I have done this stretch in April and it was a good drive. The Kumbharli ghat was fine, but the stretch from where the ghat ends before koynanagar till Patan was being repaired in some places. Overall road was fine, however the patches being repaired were laid with stone and tar to form the base. I encountered some 10-15 patches of about a km in a stretch of 50 kms. These patches were quite rough and used to appear suddenly and were difficult to detect in the night. Dont know if the repairs have been completed since.

Also the Guhagar to Chiplun road was a smooth ribbon then, but not sure what has happened in the monsoon.

Plan 2 Route route - Pune-Mulshi-Tamhini-Raigad-Mahad-Chiplun-Guhagar

Plan is to start very early in the morning around 5 am which will allow to cover Raigad fort by cable car.

Has anyone recently been on the Pachad road from SH97 till Pachad near Raigad base and the Raigad road from the base till Mahad on NH17

Hoping that Ashish or HVKumar replies on this thread
Old 14th December 2010, 23:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

No, I have not travelled on any of these roads recently.

But I heard that Chiplun-Guhagar road is good.
....and Tamhini Ghat road is as usual bad.
Raigad road was good 2 months ago in the peak of monsoons.
Old 14th December 2010, 23:49   #29
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Raigad road was good 3 weekends back. Raigad road to Mahad was good too. Pune -Tamhini route is pathetic. I'd suggest Varandha ghat instead. Slightly longer, but roads are better than Tamhini. Nice bhajji's in Varandha ghat as well!
Old 18th December 2010, 17:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, I have not travelled on any of these roads recently.

But I heard that Chiplun-Guhagar road is good.
....and Tamhini Ghat road is as usual bad.
Raigad road was good 2 months ago in the peak of monsoons.
Quote:
Raigad road was good 3 weekends back. Raigad road to Mahad was good too. Pune -Tamhini route is pathetic. I'd suggest Varandha ghat instead. Slightly longer, but roads are better than Tamhini. Nice bhajji's in Varandha ghat as well!

Thanks for the responses HVKumar and MX6.

Well as it always happens the plan has changed and now we are planning to explore Karwar so the new onward route is Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum- Karwar and the return is via NH17 Karwar-Guhagar-Pune

So now I am moving this discussion on the Mumbai to Karwar thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks