Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 22:49   #31
BHPian

Re: Planning a Himachal Holiday

Based on feedback s received here I have finalised Narkanda and Shimla. This is a short trip, so can't go many places. Already booked Hatu hotel in Narkanda.

I will be hiring a car from Delhi. My options are Toyota Innova and Toyota Corolla. The rates are widely different but within my budget. My concerns are safety and comfort (minimal fatigue after full day journey).

Which car should I choose?

Edit: any feedback on ecorentacar.com welcome.

Last edited by Guite : 18th December 2012 at 22:51.
Old 19th December 2012, 00:13   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Thanks you all for the responses.

Booking is tough indeed, there is huge rush if the dearth of rooms on online booking sites is any indication. I am definitely planning very late. As per your advise I am veering towards Kashmir but my entire transport allowance will be consumed by air fare, which means I will have to shell out local transport from my own account.
Kashmir is just 8 hours extra over hp from Delhi.
So no need to spend on air fare.

EDIT: just say your post.
Take the innova, the extra GC will come in handy. However, if you are driving yourself, go for the corolla as it will be easier to drive on snow(FWD is always better)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th December 2012 at 00:18.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 12:25   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Based on feedback s received here I have finalised Narkanda and Shimla. This is a short trip, so can't go many places. Already booked Hatu hotel in Narkanda.I will be hiring a car from Delhi. My options are Toyota Innova and Toyota Corolla.
Any day a Innova wins hands down for comfort. I sent you a PM and can get you an Innova for the same rate as i got mine for our trip to UK starting this weekend.

Nice you got Hotel Hatu booking so easily? Whats the tarrif? It's a nice place and we spent 2 memorable nights there in peak winter with bonfire

Do visit the temple from there which has a very narrow approach road. It'll be a nice fun trip
Old 19th December 2012, 12:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Based on feedback s received here I have finalised Narkanda and Shimla. This is a short trip, so can't go many places. Already booked Hatu hotel in Narkanda.
Hatu hotel is a very good choice, I am surprised you got a room so easy, usually you have to know someone to get a good room at this time of the year.

Innova all the way, do take a driver if you can, for self drive a corolla would be more manageable and easier to park as well as parking space in the hills is usually a premium.
Old 19th December 2012, 13:41   #35
BHPian

I booked Delux Cosy room for Rs.2500 per night through hptdc.nic.in. Vacancy is low, I booked just on time.

So looks like Innova is the obvious choice. mobike008, replied your PM.
Old 19th December 2012, 13:59   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I booked Delux Cosy room for Rs.2500 per night through hptdc.nic.in. Vacancy is low, I booked just on time.So looks like Innova is the obvious choice. mobike008, replied your PM.
No idea of the room that we booked. We paid Rs.1000 per night + some taxes 2 years back for same period that you booked. Our room was facing the mountains, hope you booked the same?

Will pass on your coordinates to that Innova fella and you can expect him to call you today/tomorrow.
Old 24th December 2012, 11:55   #37
BHPian

I need additional guidance on route. We plan to do Delhi - Narkanda direct on 26th, which is day after tomorrow. What will be the recommended route based on road condition and traffic:-
1. Kalka - Shimla - Narkanda
2. Kalka - Chail - Narkanda (shown in attached map)

Since weather is foggy since yesterday I want to book emergency stop over either in Shimla or Chail or Kufri, in case the need arise to put up for the night before final destination. In which town should I book? Since this is only backup, it should be very economical rate hotel.
Attached Thumbnails
Planning a Himachal Holiday-kalka-narkanda.jpg  

Old 30th December 2012, 23:57   #38
BHPian

Happy to report back that we had a wonderful time at Narkanda and Shimla. We spent all our time at Narkanda skiing. The place is small but good enough for my son, who enjoyed it alot. He also did fair amount of tobogganing on the snow slopes. We ended up spending one and half day there. Thank you all for recommending this place.

The Hatu is nicely located, decent and economical. The food there fills the stomach; nothing more, nothing less, which is par for the course for the price we pay.

At Shimla, apart from the usual tourist itinerary, we went to the Annadale Army Heritage Museum based on tripadvisor.com rating. It's a wonderful location- quiet and green with thick pine forest around it. The exhibits are also good and well maintained. It's not a big museum but still a very good place- highly recommended.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 23:19   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Happy to report back that we had a wonderful time at Narkanda and Shimla. We spent all our time at Narkanda skiing. The place is small but good enough for my son, who enjoyed it alot. He also did fair amount of tobogganing on the snow slopes. We ended up spending one and half day there. Thank you all for recommending this place.

The Hatu is nicely located, decent and economical. The food there fills the stomach; nothing more, nothing less, which is par for the course for the price we pay.

At Shimla, apart from the usual tourist itinerary, we went to the Annadale Army Heritage Museum based on tripadvisor.com rating. It's a wonderful location- quiet and green with thick pine forest around it. The exhibits are also good and well maintained. It's not a big museum but still a very good place- highly recommended.
Picking up on this thread - I'm planning a trip to Narkanda myself in Dec'16. Which route did you finally end taking? Via Chail.

Does anyone know the condition of the Chali route from Solan?
Old 14th October 2016, 23:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vankito View Post

Does anyone know the condition of the Chali route from Solan?
I can share the condition as of June this year:

- Roads widening work was under progress after the Himalayan Expressway.
- The bridge over the river on the kandghat-Chail road was under repairs, all traffic was diverted to the makeshift bridge and the approach road was very bad.

Last edited by sinharishi : 14th October 2016 at 23:32.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 09:16   #41
BHPian

^^^I did this route a few weeks back, road widening is in full swing between Parwanoo and Shimla and expect a lot of dust and rubble around. It makes sense to do an early start and beat the chaos
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 18:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
^^^I did this route a few weeks back, road widening is in full swing between Parwanoo and Shimla and expect a lot of dust and rubble around. It makes sense to do an early start and beat the chaos
my worries are now focussed more on the road ahead. IM still trying to recky road conditions from Karcham to Kaza.

thansk for your intel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks