Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 23:00   #1
BHPian

Planning a Himachal Holiday

Hello,
I am travelling with my family (Me/Wife & 7 year old daughter)to Himachal in the month of May. I have already completed important bookings: like travel to Shmila/from Chandigarh, hotel bookings at Shmila/Manali/Chandigarh.

Day 1 Delhi
Day 2 Shimla
Day 3 Shimla
Day 4 Manali
Day 5 Manali
Day 6 ?
Day 7 ?
Day 8 ?
Day 9 ?
Day 10 ?
Day 11 ?
Day 12 ?
Day 13 Chandigarh

I would appreciate help in planning Day 6 to Day 13. I would love to go to Kaza from Manali - but the HPTDC site is not accepting booking before June 1. Is Keylong a good option? The main purpose is relaxing - but would also like paraligding/river rafting. Is there any option to ride Hot air baloon?

Regards
Narendra

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 29th April 2010 at 23:07.
Old 30th April 2010, 06:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

You can Dharamshala and Dalhousie to the list.
2 days from Dharamshala and 3 for Dalhousie should suffice.

1 Day for transit.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have read that there are a few adventure sport groups that organise river rafting/ rock climbing/ rappelling at Babeli (close to Manali). Maybe you would like to google at confirm the same.

Regards & good luck
Old 30th April 2010, 11:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
Hello,
I am travelling with my family (Me/Wife & 7 year old daughter)to Himachal in the month of May. I have already completed important bookings: like travel to Shmila/from Chandigarh, hotel bookings at Shmila/Manali/Chandigarh.

Day 1 Delhi
Day 2 Shimla
Day 3 Shimla
Day 4 Manali
Day 5 Manali
Day 6 ?
Day 7 ?
Day 8 ?
Day 9 ?
Day 10 ?
Day 11 ?
Day 12 ?
Day 13 Chandigarh

I would appreciate help in planning Day 6 to Day 13. I would love to go to Kaza from Manali - but the HPTDC site is not accepting booking before June 1. Is Keylong a good option? The main purpose is relaxing - but would also like paraligding/river rafting. Is there any option to ride Hot air baloon?

Regards
Narendra
You can bypass Chandigarh while going to Shimla from Delhi,Unless you want to go to C'garh for seeing the place or if you are flying to Chandigarh.

Also please check status of Rohtang Pass to Keylong before planning to go there.I suspect even if the pass is open,it is going to be a huge traffic jam there with trucks carryin supplies etc.Ideal time to go there would be around Aug-Sep.Others can confirm.

From Manali you could drive to Palampur,stay the night at Taragarh Palace(palace of the erstwhile J&K Royal family,which has been let out to the Welcomgroup to be run as a hotel,excellent place and a royal feel)Next day morning you could visit Dharamsala and some of the other monasteries closeby in the Kangra valley.Stay the night at Palampur.

Next day morning you could either drive to Dalhousie and spend 2 nights there or else drive straight to the Intl Border at Wagah.Be sure to reach there before 3pm to watch the Beating Retreat ceremony by the Pak Rangers and Indian BSF.The ceremony lasts for an hour.

Drive to Amritsar from there(45mins).Visit the Harmandir Sahib(Golden Temple)at night,dinner at the langar.Next day morning visit the Jallianwala Bagh and then leave for Chandigarh or Delhi(whichever is your port of departure)
Old 30th April 2010, 12:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Day 1 Delhi
Day 2 Shimla
Day 3 Shimla
Day 4 Manali
Day 5 Manali
Day 6 ?
Day 7 ?
Day 8 ?
Day 9 ?
Day 10 ?
Day 11 ?
Day 12 ?
Day 13 Chandigarh

I would appreciate help in planning Day 6 to Day 12. I would love to go to Kaza from Manali - but the HPTDC site is not accepting booking before June 1. Is Keylong a good option? The main purpose is relaxing - but would also like paraligding/river rafting. Is there any option to ride Hot air baloon?

Regards
Narendra
Going to Kaza would require that the two passes, Rohtang Jot and Kunzum La are open for traffic. If you're going in the end of May, chances are better but not sure. Rohtang's usually a mess with loads of tourists making a beeline for it. Leave real early, like 5:30-6 AM for it from Manali.

You could fill in Day 6 to Day 13 exploring places like Sarahan/Narkanda, maybe even visiting Kalpa. I see that you are an adventurous spirit, so I'd suggest you doing Manali - Shoja - Jalori Pass - Rampur - Kalpa - Sarahan - Narkanda. From Narkanda, you can come back to Shimla and commence your return journey. It'd be something like this:

Day 6: Manali - Shoja - Jalori Pass - Rampur
Rampur is at a low altitude, so slightly warm.
Day 7: Rampur - Kalpa (Be enthralled by the majestic Kinner Kailash Mountains)
Day 8: Kalpa
Day 9: Kalpa - Sarahan
Day 10: Sarahan
Day 11: Sarahan - Narkanda
Day 12: Narkanda
Day 13: Narkanda - Shimla - Chandigarh

Wish you a great journey.

Cheers!
LoG

EDIT: You may check out a travelogue of mine, wherein I covered the above mentioned places albeit in a reverse order: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...n-rohtang.html

Last edited by lordofgondor : 30th April 2010 at 12:38.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:55   #6
BHPian

Ranjeet: I am just transiting trough Chandigarh both ways.
Thank you ampere/deky/Ranjeet/LoG.
I guess Kaza/Keylong is best left out due to uncertainties. That leaves with two options:
1) Dalhousie/Dharmashala (i.e. west of Manali)
I believe roads on this side are good, hence less time spent on travelling
2) Kalpa: Roads might not be so good.
3) Snow (May daughter loves playing in snow): Which I hope get in Rohtang
I would like to list down following constraints - and would appreciate help accordingly:
1) Main purpose is relaxing - so I would want to avoid travelling every day. Travelling Every Alternate day is fine.
2) Want to visit rocky terrain as well, apart form the green valleys (Is it better towards Kalpa?)
Can somebody pls suggest a tour (including travelling time on bus/cab) from Manali (staring 19th noon) to Kalpa an then on to Chandigarh (reaching 26th evening). I can think of stays of 2-3 days each at 2-3 (best) places on this route.
I am not asking for any suggestion on the western side as I am aware that Dalhousie/Dharmashala are good places, and that roads are much better

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 30th April 2010 at 17:56.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:58   #7
BHPian

Ranjeet: I am just transiting trough Chandigarh both ways.

Thank you ampere/deky/Ranjeet/LoG.

I guess Kaza/Keylong is best left out due to uncertainties. That leaves with two options:
1) Dalhousie/Dharmashala (i.e. west of Manali)
I believe roads on this side are good, hence less time spent on travelling
2) Kalpa: Roads might not be so good.

I would like to list down following constraints - and would appreciate help accordingly:
1) Main purpose is relaxing - so I would want to avoid travelling every day. Travelling Every Alternate day is fine.
2) Want to visit rocky terrain as well, apart form the green valleys (Is it better towards Kalpa?)

Can somebody pls suggest a tour (including travelling time on bus/cab) from Manali (staring 19th noon) to Kalpa an then on to Chandigarh (reaching 26th evening). I can think of stays of 2-3 days each at 2-3 (best) places on this route.

I am not asking for any suggestion on the western side as I am aware that Dalhousie/Dharmashala are good places, and that roads are much better
Old 30th April 2010, 18:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

I did exactly the same 5 years back. We flew to Chandigarh

Then the plan broke up to:

2N/3D in Manali
2N/3D in Dharamshala
3N/4D in Dalhousie

Manali to Dharamshala we did an overnight journey and so was Dharamshala to Dalhousie. Stay at a place called Peace Channel in Dalhousie.
The place was very nice. At Dharamshala, we stayed at McLeodGanj.

All travels were done with local buses. You can chose a cab.
Old 30th April 2010, 22:00   #9
BHPian

Thanks again ampere.

However, I think I have started thinking of:
Day 6: Manali - Kaza
Day 7: Kaza
Day 8: Kaza
Day 9: Kalpa
Day 10: Kalpa
Day 11: Kalpa

Would appreciate comments on feasibility (by bus/car).
Also, how long does Narkanda to Chandigarh take? And is Manali-Kaza doable in one day? And what are the chances of getting a clear road through the Rohtang/Kunzum passes on the way to Kaza?

Thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 23:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Day 1 Delhi
Day 2 Shimla
Day 3 Shimla
Day 4 Manali
Day 5 Manali
Day 6 ?
Day 7 ?
Day 8 ?
Day 9 ?
Day 10 ?
Day 11 ?
Day 12 ?
Day 13 Chandigarh

Regards
Narendra
Hello Narendra
Good u have planned a visit to Himachal.... as am staying in manali so feel free to ask me any information, due to time constraint am not able to write complete details here, but can surely talk u over phone and suggest u good places to relax....
do let me knw so that i can give u my cell no. so that u can talk to me

Regards
Old 30th April 2010, 23:07   #11
BHPian

and for sure u can do HOT AIR BALOONING TOO, if air is favourable ....
for that too u can contact me
Old 1st May 2010, 06:21   #12
Team-BHP Support

Naren,
I have no idea of Narkanda/Shimla. I have not been to these places.
Looks like one more trip to HP is pending on my side too !

My only hitch is we end up paying quite some money from BLR to NDLS/CHAN, which could have been well utilized for other things. Thinking currently how this can be optimized.

In fact the other point, which was raised was to start from Delhi rather than Chandigarh. Though you have fixed it, so did I. I now think, it may be good to start from Delhi as to and fro travel options are galore and also it saves the air fare from ND to CH.
Old 1st May 2010, 09:35   #13
BHPian

Thanks for offering help airwolf9211, I shall PM you my number so that you could leave me your contact number.

Ampere: Yes flying till into Chandigrah (and even more for Shimla) is costly. So I have planned my trip from Delhi by Rail/Road.

And yes, Himachal, I guess warrants at least two trips to cover all of it.
Old 1st May 2010, 10:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again ampere.
However, I think I have started thinking of:
Day 6: Manali - Kaza
Day 7: Kaza
Day 8: Kaza
Day 9: Kalpa
Day 10: Kalpa
Day 11: Kalpa
Would appreciate comments on feasibility (by bus/car).
Also, how long does Narkanda to Chandigarh take? And is Manali-Kaza doable in one day? And what are the chances of getting a clear road through the Rohtang/Kunzum passes on the way to Kaza?
Narendra, I think best person to get suggestion on kalpa, narkanda route is tsk1979 who does more road trips to those places then most of us. So would be a good idea to PM him and get his opinion too. That will sure leave you better informed.
Old 1st May 2010, 19:15   #15
BHPian

Thanks LongDriveLover. I shall PM tsk1979 as well

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks