Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 19:42   #16
Team-BHP Support

MCR

He was looking for a Bangalore bypass. He is going all the way to Pune from Mysore.
Old 7th May 2010, 20:09   #17
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
MCR

He was looking for a Bangalore bypass. He is going all the way to Pune from Mysore.
Yes I know. I was suggesting him the option of Mysore - Shimoga so that he can further go to Harihar or Ranebennur.

@Ranjith, Just to add, from Shimoga you can goto Ranebennur via Honnalli - Halageri. This way you will reach ahead of Harihar on the NH4.
Old 7th May 2010, 20:22   #18
Team-BHP Support

MCR,

I remember me and MX suggesting the same route to him in the some other posr, but some how he wanted more of 4L which would be safer and take him faster to Pune.
Old 8th May 2010, 15:17   #19
BHPian

Thanks Amphere & MCR for your suggestions.

Amphere you are right I wanted more of 4L which would be safer and take me faster to Pune.

So I have planned to reach Tumkur via Mysore-Nagamangala-Bellur-Bellur-Mayasandra-Kadaba-Gubbi-Tumkur.

I did a PM to HVK and he also suggested the same as we cant predict the State highway during rainy season.

So I have decided use Mysore-Nagamangala-Bellur-Bellur-Mayasandra-Kadaba-Gubbi-Tumkur and take the normal route from Tumkur to Pune.

Here is my plan road trip plan. Let me know if you gave any suggestions.

Road Conditions on Mysore-Mandya-Huliyurdurga-Kunigal-Tumkur-road-trip.jpg
Old 8th May 2010, 15:34   #20
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Looks good except for the last two legs between munnar and mysore and mysore and pune.
Munnar to mysore will take definitely more than 6.5 hours when you account for rains on the ghats near munnar and in the stretch between sathy and chamarajanagara.

Mysore to Pune should take longer than 13 hours as it's not 4 lane all the way. Mysore to hassan is belter of a circuit and till bhadravati is great. Not sure about the bhadravati to chitradurga stretch. So I'd suggest leave mysore the previous evening to have a night halt in Bhadravati or shimoga. Shouldn't become weary when you approach pune.
Old 8th May 2010, 18:12   #21
BHPian

Hey MS,
Can’t leave before Sunday morning, have my brother’s reception on Saturday evening.

You are right mysore - pune will take more than 13 hrs, its just my rough calculation. I am expecting to reach pune in 15 hrs... Have planned to leave Mysore early by 4 AM, what do you say?
Old 8th May 2010, 18:19   #22
Team-BHP Support

In that case, you might as well, take another day off, enjoy the scenic Bhadra/Shimoga/Yellapur/Hubli route and stay at Hubli for the night and start the next day.

No point rushing a drive, unless its extremely important.
Old 8th May 2010, 18:40   #23
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Don't leave at 4 am if you are the only driver. Sleep eventually catches up if one sits behind the wheel for long hours unless he's experienced.
I'd say break your route from mysore to pune in phases of 4 hours or 5 hours each. Plan out on a power nap between 2 - 3 or even 4 pm on the route.
Here's a plan for you.
Leave mysore at 6am. reach Chickamagalur by 9:30 am for breakfast.
Leave Chickamagalur by 10 am. Reach Davangere by 2 for lunch
Leave Davangere by 3:30 pm. Reach Belgaum by 7:00 pm.
Leave Belgaum after dinner by 8:00 pm - reach pune by 2 - 2:30 am.

Do take a power nap after your lunch at Davangere.
Old 8th May 2010, 20:10   #24
BHPian

@ Amphere - Yes it important. I am joining back to work after a two week vacation and have to go to office on Monday for a unavoidable meeting

@ MS - you have calculated a drive time of 20 hrs. I feel that it should not take more than 16 hrs. Pune - Blr is 850 which can be done in 13 - 14 hrs with enough breaks.

Mysore - Tumkur – is 150 Kms, Bangalore – Tumkur is 75 kms. So all together its 925Kms which is 75 Kms more than the original route (Pune - Blr), I feel that should be done in 15-16 hrs with breaks.

Road Conditions on Mysore-Mandya-Huliyurdurga-Kunigal-Tumkur-mtb.jpg

I not trying to overspeed I am going to keep a constant 80- 100 Kmph. Say what ?
Old 8th May 2010, 23:21   #25
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That 20 hours is calculated with enough breaks RR. Plus taking in to consideration that you are on a drivathon right from pune. And I suggested a different route from Mysore. If you intend to hit the NH4 in tumkur, you can do the same in 16 - 17 hours. But I wouldn't suggest you to drive out at 4 am. Keep the night time driving on the 4 lane.

Also ensure the route conditions from Mysore to Tumkur are good. Else that 150 kms can easily take you 4 hours to cover.
Old 9th May 2010, 08:22   #26
Team-BHP Support

Do you carry a GPS with you? It might be a worthy aid on the roads you have not driven.

But yes 16-20 hours of driving (even with breaks) is not my cup of tea. I would do max of 10-12 and not more.
But yes every one has his own limits.

PLUS I think you said you had a baby (correct me if I am wrong).

Last edited by ampere : 9th May 2010 at 08:24.
Old 9th May 2010, 17:54   #27
MX6
Senior - BHPian

No ampere. He doesn't have a baby yet. I guess that's the route you need to be taking if it's a long sunday drive from mysore to pune. Hit NH4 at tumkur RR.
Old 10th May 2010, 07:46   #28
Team-BHP Support

If thats the case hit the 4L AEAP (As early as possible!) and drive. Start early, but see to it that you have enough daylight while driving through the Mysore-Tumkur stretch.

Better to carry some food on board. Because you directly reach Tumkur, which means you have left out all the Kamats, CCDs etc back on the BLR-TUM stretch. Then you hardly have any restaurants. Better to carry some packed stuff from source.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:17   #29
BHPian

Thanks Amphere and MS for your suggestions.

So my plan would be not to start early, may be between 5.30 to 6 AM. Drive through Mysore-Nagamangala-Bellur-Bellur-Mayasandra-Kadaba-Gubbi-Tumkur hit Tumkur ASAP and then continue to Pune via the normal route. So that I can reach Pune by 10 PM atleast with breaks.

@ Amphere - no GPS with me, so lot depends on sign boards and locals on the road side until Tumkur.

@ Amphere and MS - Yes I have a 2.5 yrs old kid traveling with me but thats not my kid, that’s my wife's sister's daughter. I am starting the trip with my wife, their parents and the Kid from Pune to Blr, they will accompany us until Coimbatore on 22nd after that they are heading to Kannur (Kerala) and we are going to Munnar and the back to Mysore on Friday evening/night.

So my Sunday trip from Mysore to Pune will be only me and my wife.

Regarding the road conditions – as per fellow BHPians it seems that this is the best route (Mysore-Nagamangala-Bellur-Bellur-Mayasandra-Kadaba-Gubbi-Tumkur) and roads are pretty ok. As per MCR this would be a normal road i.e 2 way road with out dividers for almost 60 – 70 %.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:48   #30
Team-BHP Support

if there are no kids it should be worth a try. All the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks