Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 16:09   #1
BHPian

Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

hey guys need your help on the road conditions, experiences, precautions etc etc to be followed on the trip.

I'll be travelling to kullu and manali from delhi by road and I've heard lots of stories bout the roads of kullu and manali. heard driving in that area is a risky job and the driver has to be very experienced. What do you guys have to sy about it? any tips are welcome.

Also, lemme know about some good paces where we can get good food on the following highway.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Travelling from Delhi you need to do following route:
Delhi - Murthal (yum dhaba food) - Karnal (yum dhaba food) - Ambala (yum dhaba food) - Take road towards Ludhiana - Right at Shambhu Toll Plaza (Leave NH1 at toll plaza after Ambala) - Ropar - Anandpur Sahib (Right towards Manali here) - Swarghat (nice HPTDC restaurant) - Bilaspur - Sundernagar - Mandi (yum dhaba food) - Bhuantar - Kullu byepass - Manali.

Note that almost all along the highway you will get food of various types.

Risky? Yes and no. If you are not experienced in hill driving then it is advisable to have some one who can drive with you. Or if you are careful driver you can do it on your own. Be careful, stick to your lane and do not over take on blind curves. You can do it.

It is a lovely road.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2010, 16:42   #3
BHPian

^thanks for your tip mate, Half of my driving life is was on the highways , it includes day and night driving. I dont have a problem driving on any road. My parents also doesnt have a problem with me driving on those roads, But my cousins out there in delhi are forcing me to take the driver along which I always hated. I hate driving with a driver :@

In my 5years of driving experience with around a lakh kms atleast on both highways and city roads both put together and NOT EVEN A SINGLE ACCIDENT till date, It isnt a big deal for me i believe
Old 13th May 2010, 16:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Risky? Yes and no. If you are not experienced in hill driving then it is advisable to have some one who can drive with you. Or if you are careful driver you can do it on your own. Be careful, stick to your lane and do not over take on blind curves. You can do it.

It is a lovely road.
Very rightly said. Its not all that difficult. Just follow the basics, don't try to show off your driving skills, always blow your horns before you take a blind turn, stick to your lane, avoid overtaking unless the driver in front of you is just killing it, and make sure you have a long straight strech ahead and no oncoming traffic before you overtake.

If you are on a narrow road where just one vehicle can pass at a time, give way to the guy who is driving uphill.

Get new horns installed if your current horns are not loud enough to wake up a sleepy truck driver.

Avoid driving after sun down. Its a wonderful drive and you will really enjoy it as long as you do not try to emulate the likes of Hamilton or Massa.

And lastly (I know this will kill your spirits a bit so saved it for the last) don't play loud music. While driving on the hills staying alert to the sounds (horns, screeches, etc) is equally important. If weather permits turn off your AC and roll down the windows it will help a lot.
Old 13th May 2010, 17:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Roads are fun to drive. Just be safe for yourself and others on the road. Go have fun. Avoid roadside dhabas for food especially around Bilaspur. Food is ok around all major towns.
Old 13th May 2010, 17:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Why blow horns around the corners? Mostly adds to noise pollution. With many cars on the road with air conditioners the opposing traffic hardly hears the outside sound.

Sleepy truck drivers? May be it is just me but most of them are not sleepy but only their vehicles are slow. My experience has been that second biggest cause of truck accidents are the smaller cars zipping in and out of lanes. The biggest is overloading.

Any ways with your experience go ahead and take the road on your own despite and inspite of your cousins. ;-)
Old 13th May 2010, 17:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

only one mistake by sudev saab above - the right turn is at Kiratpur Sahib, and not Anandpur sahib (another 15-20km onwards).

Its really simple - all you need is a bit of patience!
Old 13th May 2010, 17:52   #8
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Here is the log when we travelled last august. From swarghat till manali is climb with lots of trucks in swarghat. ideally it take 5 to 6 hours from swarghat depending upon traffic.

Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries-manali1.jpg

Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries-manali2.jpg
Old 13th May 2010, 18:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Here is a detailed route profile for the Delhi-Manali sector:

http://groups.google.com/group/hvkum...hi-Manali.xlsx

Please note instructions for bypassing Chandigarh (via Banur).
You can also bypass Kulu. Watch out for turnoff to the right (Manikaran) road after you cross Bhuntar (Kulu) airport.
Old 13th May 2010, 20:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
And lastly (I know this will kill your spirits a bit so saved it for the last) don't play loud music. While driving on the hills staying alert to the sounds (horns, screeches, etc) is equally important. If weather permits turn off your AC and roll down the windows it will help a lot.
MUSIC is something which i'll be missing in this trip, Cause I wont be travelling in my M800, I'll be going in a fabia with its stock audio system. :( . But as Im going along with my +2 friends and its been a long time we met, Its gonna be a refreshing and a great trip. ( +2 memories rock! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Here is the log when we travelled last august. From swarghat till manali is climb with lots of trucks in swarghat. ideally it take 5 to 6 hours from swarghat depending upon traffic.
wow, Nice log, this sure will help me a lot. Thanks

@hvkumar : how many kms will differ if I take the chandigarh bypass?
Old 14th May 2010, 08:54   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not just difference of KM's but you will avoid lots of crowded roads and very strict speed limit policing by Chandigarh cops. Go in to Chandigarh only if you have to as you not only have to pass through Chandigarh but also its suburb Mohali.
Old 14th May 2010, 09:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
It is not just difference of KM's but you will avoid lots of crowded roads and very strict speed limit policing by Chandigarh cops. Go in to Chandigarh only if you have to as you not only have to pass through Chandigarh but also its suburb Mohali.
Absolutely correct, I find the strict discipline being enforced by Chandigarh cops a bit too difficult to handle and always ask my wife to drive whenever we are either visiting or passing through Chandigarh / Mohali.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Also avoid Chandigarh if you have tints. No use arguing with them that you are just passing through and that the tints are legal in your city. Plus you will save on time as the traffic conditions at Chandigarh have also become bad in some places.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Any update on whether the widening of the Banur road is over?

What is the difference in distance? 15 kms less if you come via Banur instead of going via Chandigarh.
Ambala-Chandigarh-Kharar, 65 kms
Ambala-Banur-Kharar, 50 kms
Old 14th May 2010, 12:32   #15
BHPian

Enjoy the drive

Mostly parts of your question covered by experts, here's to driving skills

1. Always keep next destination name and details handy
2. Be confident, suppress the urge to compete either with self or someone else
3. Anyone trying to act smart or overtake rashly, allow them to lead, they may have fate waiting around the bend!
4. Be careful and plan if you see a slow truck around a switchback
5. Uphill first,
6. If you aren't confident of road width while a larger vehicle crosses, better stop than amble ahead
7. Orientation/estimation is important, even if you aren't driving, a good estimation of car
8. No high beam, unless you are sure or midway on a long stretch with prolonged visibility
9. Be sure to gather a rhythm to check, honk, slow down to manageable speed to turn, honk again and continue

The reason for check (ensures, you are not in for a surprise at turns), honk
(so that other side hears you), all bends aren't at same gradient or constant bend, its better to slow and break the turn, Honk again (to let folks know you crossed by). Some may feel unnecessary, but such rhythms do help (personal experience). Points above aren't sequential but good to keep in mind.

Dont worry, we all are first timers at something or other, stay calm, apply patience and understanding,

Make sure you enjoy and have a good time !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks