Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 11:07   #151
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Has anyone recently travelled from Delhi to Manali, am planning a trip from 20-25 october. Have read about people taking 15 to 16 hours to reach because of too much construction en route and poor condition of roads.

Any help on which route to take? Have never visited Manali so am unsure about the condition of roads and the best route to take.
I returned from Manali last week and road conditions are still bad due to construction work. I was on a bike and could navigate through traffic easily, if you are travelling by car - 15 hours is no surprise (including breaks). Delhi to Panipat is already a mess anyhow. We had a small unfortunate incident near Panipat due to which we lost time or else Manali to Gurgaon could have completed the journey in 12 hrs flat.
ast.ggn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 15:09   #152

Thank you. Could you please share route information between Kiratpur and Swarghat. It has always been bad as far as i have known it. I have not travelled on this route since a few years now and therefore seek detailed information on this unfortunate stretch. I hope this is why the Google Maps diverts from Bharatgarh at NH205 and via Panjehra connects to NH105 towards Swarghat.
Old 30th October 2020, 22:50   #153
BHPian

Seeking route advise for Ghaziabad - Manali:
I am planning a trip from Ghaziabad to Manali in the second Week of December 2020.
The details are:
Vehicle: Fiat Linea T-Jet / Ford Figo 1.2 (Petrol)
Occupants: 3 - Self, Wife, Daughter (8 years)
Driver - self (single)
Travel plan:
Day 1: From Ghaziabad to Mandi (Night Halt) via Bhakra Dam
Day 2: From Mandi to Manali
Starting time:
Day 1: 5 am from Ghaziabad
Day 2: 6:30 am from Mandi
The route advise is needed for Day 1. The three options are:
Option I
Ghaziabad --> Kiratpur Sahib --> Bhakra Dam --> Kiratpur Sahib --> Swarghat --> Mandi (546 km - 12 hrs)
Option II
Ghaziabad --> Kiratpur Sahib --> Bhakra Dam --> Bharatgarh --> Swarghat --> Mandi (560 km - 12 hrs)
Option III
Ghaziabad --> Kiratpur Sahib --> Bhakra Dam --> Raipur Maidan --> Saloni --> Jahu --> Ner Chowk --> Mandi (522 km - 11 hrs)
Priority for decision are road condition and safety. I don't mind travelling extra miles and extra hours on road for good and safe roads.
Kindly Advise.

Update:
The night stay accommodation at Mandi is seemingly difficult. So.. Sundar Nagar being alternatively explored for night stay to conclude day 1
shikhar10882 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 21:23   #154
BHPian

To avoid Swarghat mess, one can go straight from Kiratpur rather than turning right. The route would be Kiratpur- Anandpur Sahib - Nangal Township- Una. From Una, one can take a right turn towards Hamirpur road. Route is Una- Bhota- Jahu- Nerchowk - Mandi.

Road is good and has lesser commercial traffic; the last 25 km stretch is a bit narrow which may not be of liking to some.

Last edited by breezydrive : 31st October 2020 at 21:44.
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 22:58   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
To avoid Swarghat mess, one can go straight from Kiratpur rather than turning right. The route would be Kiratpur- Anandpur Sahib - Nangal Township- Una. From Una, one can take a right turn towards Hamirpur road. Route is Una- Bhota- Jahu- Nerchowk - Mandi.

Road is good and has lesser commercial traffic; the last 25 km stretch is a bit narrow which may not be of liking to some.
Thanks a lot...
Have been hearing a lot adverse about Swarghat Mandi Mandi Patch..
Besides following the Una - Bhota - Jahu - Nerchowk - Mandi reduced the travelling time and distance...
Just was not sure of the roads!!!
Old 6th November 2020, 18:09   #156

Hello Everyone.

I have gone through the whole thread. Most of the information is way too old like 3 years or before. Also there is very less information on Manali in December. Please help me out.

We are planning to do Delhi-Manali-Delhi from 19/12/20 to 27/12/20 in a Baleno. We are 4 people, me and my friend with their better halves. I and my friend will drive. I do not have experience of hill driving and my friend has very little.

Need advice/information on Delhi Manali Route.

We will reach Delhi around 8 AM. And then freshening up, brunch etc and it will only be by 12 PM that we could start from Delhi. We do not want to drive to Manali at a stretch and are planning to take a break somewhere in the route, stay the night and leave early morning to Manali.

We would like suggestions on following points.

1. Where do we stay the night? Which place have better accommodations and food ?
2. Which route to follow?

1. Delhi- Ropar - Kiratpur Sahib - Swarghat - Bilaspur - Sundernagar - Mandi - Kullu- Manali
2. Delhi - Ropar - Kirtanpur Sahib - Anandppur Sahib- Una- Bhota - Nerchowk - Mandi - Kullu - Manali

Or this one

Quote:
Coming from Delhi continue towards Chandigarh after Ambala . Take Exit for Himalayan Expressway from Zirakpur , continue on Shimla highway till Dharampur , leave highway & take Left towards Subathu - Kunihar- PipluGhat- Brahmpukar & Join Manali Highway at Ghaghas . Via this route we bypass complete mess on the regular route . This one has smaller roads but in far better condition . Do remember to take Right from Brahmpukar towards Ghaghas else you will land up at Nauni and join Manali Highway before Bilaspur . Just before this turn , there is a good roadside Dhaba
3. We were also planning to visit Keylong, Kheerganga, Tosh, Sethan and Rohtang Pass. Are any of these possible in late December. Best way to visit all these places in such a short time.
4. We do not want to stay in proper Manali. Any good recommendations of offbeat homestays/resorts ?
5. We are also interested in paragliding/skiing. All avenues for these?

Thank You.
Old 6th November 2020, 19:00   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrish R View Post

1. Where do we stay the night? Which place have better accommodations and food ?

2. Which route to follow?

3. We were also planning to visit Keylong, Kheerganga, Tosh, Sethan and Rohtang Pass. Are any of these possible in late December. Best way to visit all these places in such a short time.
1. Chandigarh will be the best option if you're planning to leave Delhi at 12.

2. I came back from Manali(via Bilaspur) this week and roads are fine until Mandi. There's a 8-10km broken stretch between Kiratpur and Swarghat which isn't a big deal.

Bad roads starts from Mandi till Kullu(Mandi-Pandoh-Aut-Bajaura) and that stretch is in horrible condition(traffic, bad roads, slush, dust) right now. Make sure to leave early or be ready to reach Manali in 15 hours from Chandigarh.

Since you've mentioned that none of you have much experience in driving in hills, I would recommend you to avoid the default route(Mandi-IIT Kamand-Bajaura) which Google Maps will suggest you. This route is very steep and narrow - challenging one for this beginners.

3. Rohtang and Keylong are impossible in December, you can check them off from your list. Keylong might be doable via Atal Tunnel and takes 3 hours from Manali. Roads are amazing till Keylong - even via Rohtang La (with some bad patches).
r.joshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:49   #158

Quote:

2. I came back from Manali(via Bilaspur) this week and roads are fine until Mandi. There's a 8-10km broken stretch between Kiratpur and Swarghat which isn't a big deal.

Bad roads starts from Mandi till Kullu(Mandi-Pandoh-Aut-Bajaura) and that stretch is in horrible condition(traffic, bad roads, slush, dust) right now. Make sure to leave early or be ready to reach Manali in 15 hours from Chandigarh.

Since you've mentioned that none of you have much experience in driving in hills, I would recommend you to avoid the default route(Mandi-IIT Kamand-Bajaura) which Google Maps will suggest you. This route is very steep and narrow - challenging one for this beginners.
Even if I take Una route I will have to go through Mandi - Kullu route. Is there any other option?

Quote:
3. Rohtang and Keylong are impossible in December, you can check them off from your list. Keylong might be doable via Atal Tunnel and takes 3 hours from Manali. Roads are amazing till Keylong - even via Rohtang La (with some bad patches).
Now I am seriously rethinking Manali what with temperatures in negative, bad roads, many places unaccessible.
Old 15th November 2020, 05:51   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Even if I take Una route I will have to go through Mandi - Kullu route. Is there any other option?
Yes. You will have to go through Mandi to reach Manali.

Quote:
Now I am seriously rethinking Manali what with temperatures in negative, bad roads, many places unaccessible.
Plan accordingly as most of the hill stations will be covered in snow on your dates. On Mandi-Pandoh-Aut-Bajaura stretch the construction work was in very good pace. So I am assuming that road conditions will be very different condition by that time.
Old 20th November 2020, 12:27   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikhar10882 View Post
Seeking route advise for Ghaziabad - Manali:
I am planning a trip from Ghaziabad to Manali in the second Week of December 2020.
.. Sundar Nagar being alternatively explored for night stay to conclude day 1
Seeking another advise in continuation to my plan of driving to Manali in mid December.*
Can I travel without a high security number plate affixed on my car?

The issue is, my car is UP registered and the only FCA dealer they are delivering the HSRP is located at Prayagraj (I am in Ghaziabad).

Home delivery has not started.

....and the reputation of Punjab Police for NCR cars precedes their name.

Please advise.
Old 28th November 2020, 22:00   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikhar10882 View Post

Can I travel without a high security number plate affixed on my car?
The issue is, my car is UP registered and the only FCA dealer they are delivering the HSRP is located at Prayagraj (I am in Ghaziabad).

Home delivery has not started.

....and the reputation of Punjab Police for NCR cars precedes their name.

Please advise.
Well Punjab Police does have a reputation and they can be nasty. To avoid them you can enter Himachal directly from Haryana. For that you'll need to take a right from NH-1 after you cross Shahbad, the route is a bit long(20 mins difference) and single lane at places but well maintained.

Once you reach Panchkula(NH-22), take right and reach swaraghat via Kalka-Baddi-Nalagarh.

P.S. I am also travelling to Manali mid December and plan to take this route to avoid the Kiratpur-Swaraghat Strech.
sahil1010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:34   #162
BHPian

I am planning to do a trip to Manali this winter. Since its my first time to the hills I need advise on the same. I would be travelling with my wife and 2 year daughter in a Renault Kwid. Since my daughter is very small we are planning to take short breaks. I have made the below itenary:

Day 0: Start from Delhi at 4 PM to reach Chandigarh by 9 PM. Stay at Chandigarh

Day 1: Start from Chandigarh to Shimla in the morning. Do breakfast in Shimla. Travel to Kufri and Fagu and do sightseeing. Lunch somewhere in Fagu and go till Narkanda. Reach Narkanda by evening. Stay in Narkanda. (I would love to explore more and can change this itenary to include 1 day if more places needs to be visited. Then I can stay in Shimla/Kufri/Fagu for a day)

Day 2: Start from Narkanda in morning after breakfast to reach Manali by Evening. Lunch in between.

Day 3: Explore Manali and sightseeing. Shopping in evening.

Day 4: Start from Manali in the day to reach Chandigarh by evening. Since road around Mandi is bad, will take it slow.

Day 5: Start from Chandigarh to reach Delhi.

Please let me know if this itenary is doable or not. Also if the days mentioned will be sufficient for sightseeing?
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:13   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post

Please let me know if this itenary is doable or not. Also if the days mentioned will be sufficient for sightseeing?

The itinerary seems a bit stretched considering you have a 2 year old with you and this would involve 4 days of travel in a 5 day trip.

If i were you, i would either increase the number of days or do either of Shimla or Manali.

Quote:

Day 2: Start from Narkanda in morning after breakfast to reach Manali by Evening. Lunch in between.
The route from Narkanda to Manali is quite steep at places and snow being likely in winter, it may not be the best one for a family vacation in Kwid.

Quote:

Day 4: Start from Manali in the day to reach Chandigarh by evening. Since road around Mandi is bad, will take it slow.
To reach Mandi, if you start early from Manali i would suggest the route via IIT Kamand. It is narrow as mentioned in the thread earlier but in a better shape than the highway which is avoidable in current scenario.

Hope it helps.
sahil1010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:54   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil1010 View Post
The itinerary seems a bit stretched considering you have a 2 year old with you and this would involve 4 days of travel in a 5 day trip.
If i were you, i would either increase the number of days or do either of Shimla or Manali.
I think it would be better if I stick to Shimla and Kufri/Fagu and probably till Narkanda for the time being. I will anyway get snow here and I am hoping the roads will be drivable in the Kwid till Narkanda. I will also get more time for sightseeing and it wont be a stretch for my wife with the little kid.

I will plan for Manali probably in summer when there wont be snow/slush on roads. Thanks a lot Sahil for your inputs.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 15:55   #165

I am planning a trip to Manali in 3rd week of Jan’21 as below:

Day1 : Delhi - Baddi - Nalagarh - Bilaspur ( overnight stay at Lakeview Bilaspur)

Day 2: Bilaspur - Mandi - Kullu - Manali ( plan to take the IIT Mandi route )

Day 3: Solang Valley

Day 4 : Atal tunnel ( if open )

Day 5 : Manali - Chandigarh

Day 6: Chandigarh - Delhi

I am really concerned about roads from Nalagarh-Bilaspur and Bilaspur-Mandi-Kullu.

Would really appreciate if someone can update the current status on the road conditions or suggest some alternative route.

Most Viewed