Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2021, 21:48   #166

Re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs_maverick View Post
I am planning a trip to Manali in 3rd week of Jan’21 as below:

Day1 : Delhi - Baddi - Nalagarh - Bilaspur ( overnight stay at Lakeview Bilaspur)

Day 2: Bilaspur - Mandi - Kullu - Manali ( plan to take the IIT Mandi route )

Day 3: Solang Valley

Day 4 : Atal tunnel ( if open )

Day 5 : Manali - Chandigarh

Day 6: Chandigarh - Delhi

I am really concerned about roads from Nalagarh-Bilaspur and Bilaspur-Mandi-Kullu.

Would really appreciate if someone can update the current status on the road conditions or suggest some alternative route.
The route you have shortlisted is the best currently.

Couple of suggestions:

1. IIT Mandi route is quite steep all the way and pretty narrow at places, so you would want to start early and avoid as much traffic as possible.

2. I visited Atal tunnel on consecutive days in Dec'20 and was allowed beyond it once. The lesson i learnt is they only allow a certain number of vehicles to cross and after that they make everyone U-turn from the north/south portal depending on traffic. Try and cross the tunnel before 10AM.
sahil1010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:07   #167
BHPian

Dear BHPians, a friend and I are planning to visit Manali, Sissu and Jispa at the beginning of November. The tentative plan is:
  • 2nd Nov: Board Manali bus from Delhi
  • 3rd Nov: Reach Manali, explore local places
  • 4th Nov: Head out to Jispa via Atal Tunnel and Sissu. Stay overnight
  • 5th Nov: Explore Jispa. Stay overnight
  • 6th Nov: Head to Manali, board bus to Delhi in the night

Can you please help me with the following questions?
1. I enquired with few hotels/homestays in Jispa and most of them were negative, sighting snowfall. Is it absolutely not possible to stay in Jispa?
2. Is it recommended to stay in Sissu instead? Do you have any recommendations?
3. If both Sissu and Jispa cant be accessed, what are charming but hidden places can be explored?
4. We plan to travel between the places on two wheelers. I am fairly experienced with motorcycles and have done few long trips. My friend however is capable of riding scooters only. He was prior riding experience in the Western Ghats but not in Himalayas. Should it be okay?

TIA!
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:53   #168
BHPian

Delhi To Jibhi (Manali) - Road condition

Hello Everyone,
Wanted to find out the current condition of the road till Manali from Delhi?
Can I take my 330i on this road or will only a vehicle with higher ground clearance suffice?
Thanks!
Old 22nd November 2021, 19:46   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi To Jibhi (Manali) - Road condition

Swaraghat to Bilaspur is a permanent mess. Roads aren’t great and if you get stuck in a traffic jam, you may be stuck for hours. It is totally doable in your BMW, but it will be tiring.

An alternate route is via Ludhiana-Phagwara-Hoshiarpur-Mandi. This is a good 120-150km longer, but it is good roads all throughout. Traffic is also lesser.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 19:12   #170
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to go to Manali on 14th for 15th for December in my POLO TSI. We will be four people (Hopefully) including myself.

I went to Manali this June on my bike and road from Bilaspur was a mess even for a Decent bike.

I read through this thread and I have finalized the below route.

Please advice if there is any better route.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries-screenshot_20211204190657.png  

Old 20th December 2021, 11:23   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil00090 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to go to Manali on 14th for 15th for December in my POLO TSI. We will be four people (Hopefully) including myself.

I went to Manali this June on my bike and road from Bilaspur was a mess even for a Decent bike.

I read through this thread and I have finalized the below route.

Please advice if there is any better route.
Hi Sahil,
Did you make this trip? I am planning to visit Manali on 22nd December and wanted to know the route. I will be travelling from Noida.
Thanks in advance for any input you could provide.
Old 20th December 2021, 17:26   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
Hi Sahil,
Did you make this trip? I am planning to visit Manali on 22nd December and wanted to know the route. I will be travelling from Noida.
just bumped into thread. that was quite a longish route.

Noida via (eastern peripheral) Ambala-Shambhu-Kharar-Kitarpur-Bilaspur-Mandi

from Mandi there are two routes
via Pandoh Bajura --road under const. very bad patch
via IIT Kamand-Kataula-Bajaura- good road but last 15 kms not wide enough.
Thanks
MissionManali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 22:13   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionManali View Post
from Mandi there are two routes
via Pandoh Bajura --road under const. very bad patch
via IIT Kamand-Kataula-Bajaura- good road but last 15 kms not wide enough.
Thanks
Took the IIT route. There were spots of landslides on the route. Although the rocks and blockages were cleared there were streches of dried mud on road and rubble on the sides. Please lookout for bad weather when taking this route.
I took the route dead in the middle of the night, 2pm-4pm. I suggest people cover the strech in daylight.
Old 25th December 2021, 16:30   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
Hi Sahil,
Actually I went to Rajasthan since Manali recieved snowfall and I knew I wouldn't be allowed beyond Manali so went Rajasthan and roads were brilliant there, let me know if you want to know about that route
Sahil00090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 21:09   #175

An update on the route to Manali...

Used Mandi > Kamand > Bajaura route for up/down journey to Manali.

The route is a better option considering heavy traffic and construction on Aut tunnel route.
However, as rightly mentioned earlier, the last few KM are quite narrow and jams are common if more people decide to go that way (experienced 45 minutes jam there during my return leg/ still quicker route).

Further, on 30th Dec 21, the Atal tunnel and beyond were open for tourists (2 days after the snowfall) and this remains the trend that they take at least 2 days to open Atal tunnel after fresh snowfall.

Also, visited lesser known Hampta Pass. Narrow road/ 32 hairpins bends/ broken at many places/ steep climbs at all...but worth going...needs a small permit @ 100/- available at the entry of the route. The form (available at a shop near entry) along with xerox of DL & RC to be submitted for the same.

Cheers !
Coolvik_2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 20:49   #176
Senior - BHPian

I visited Atul tunnel, Sisu and turned back 20 kms before Keylong on 31st dec, I had hired a 4x4 from Solang Valley where I was staying for 3 days. Started at Solang at 9 Am and returned by 2-30 PM after spending couple of hours near sisu Lake which was full frozen, in the pic.

Today I am returning back, it started with mild snow in Solang Valley and pretty heavy snowfall towards Atul tunnel. And I heard they have blocked all vehicles including 4x4 at Solang Valley itself. So I could see vehicle jam of around 5 kms from Manali towards Solang.

Even if snow falls, normally they block all vehicles and allow only local drivers with 4x4 is what I heard from my driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries-img20211231120753.jpg  

Last edited by shamanth : 2nd January 2022 at 21:07.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 17:54   #177
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Planning a trip to Manali (4 adults & 4 kids) on coming weekend (Leave on Friday night Jan 21st & back on Monday 24th, 2022)

Plan is to enjoy snowfall and spend time only in Manali, Old Manali etc. As of now I'm not planning towards Solang Valley & Atul Tunnel as spending time in Jam with kids in extreme weather is not what I intend to do on Holidays.

Ok, couple of questions now -

1. Since farmers agitation was over in Dec itself, is anyone aware if route towards Singhu border is open ? Last i heard was farmers have left but it was getting repaired, however not sure if road is open.

2. From Mandi there are 2 route. 1 via IIT Mandi, that exits at Bhuntar and is narrow, however is in better share as on 2nd route there's lot of construction going on. Which one is preferable ?

3. To beat traffic jam around Manali and small towns enroute, can Delhi folks confirm best time to leave ? With family I generally avoid leaving at night (4am is what i prefer).

4. A stupid question now. Snowfall - Kids & Wife have not experienced Snowfall. Weather app says snowfall is expected on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Is there a better way / app / best practice / website to see what is the expected % ?

Another destination that's on mind is Shimla, but not sure if Snowfall is expected this weekend. So any assistance is super beneficial.
Old 16th January 2022, 23:30   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Planning a trip to Manali (4 adults & 4 kids) on coming weekend (Leave on Friday night Jan 21st & back on Monday 24th, 2022)

Plan is to enjoy snowfall and spend time only in Manali, Old Manali etc. As of now I'm not planning towards Solang Valley & Atul Tunnel as spending time in Jam with kids in extreme weather is not what I intend to do on Holidays.

Ok, couple of questions now -

1. Since farmers agitation was over in Dec itself, is anyone aware if route towards Singhu border is open ? Last i heard was farmers have left but it was getting repaired, however not sure if road is open.

2. From Mandi there are 2 route. 1 via IIT Mandi, that exits at Bhuntar and is narrow, however is in better share as on 2nd route there's lot of construction going on. Which one is preferable ?

3. To beat traffic jam around Manali and small towns enroute, can Delhi folks confirm best time to leave ? With family I generally avoid leaving at night (4am is what i prefer).

4. A stupid question now. Snowfall - Kids & Wife have not experienced Snowfall. Weather app says snowfall is expected on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Is there a better way / app / best practice / website to see what is the expected % ?

Another destination that's on mind is Shimla, but not sure if Snowfall is expected this weekend. So any assistance is super beneficial.
Just got back from Manali a week ago, to answer your questions:

1. Singhu border stands open as of now. However, would recommend to take the western peripheral to directly join the highway near Murthal, thereby eliminating all possible traffic inside Delhi.

2. The route via IIT Mandi is extremely narrow and at some points the drop is not for the faint hearted. This route is not the primary one. Would strictly ask you to stay away from it specially if not during the daylight. Steep inclines on the way back from Manali.
The route from Bhuntar, although treacherous, is better in my opinion considering you are with kids and family. Car would get dirty as debris like clay is present but I would suggest this route.

3. 12am-4am is perfect. I left at 10pm and got most of the way almost clear. Left a little early to avoid fog till Chandigarh.

4. No better way to predict weather.
If you plan on visiting Atal tunnel via Solang Valley, leave early in the morning. Maximum by 8am from the manali town. The road isn't that narrow but at some places due to people overtaking, it gets blocked super easily.
Atal Tunnel as of now is open between 10am to 3pm only for only 4x4 vehicles. With a 4x2 vehicle, you can only go up to Solang Valley and rent a 4x4 from there. Approx costs to visit Atal Tunnel and back, via a rented 4x4 is near about 6k.
Follow the Lahaul and Spiti Police Page on fb to know if tunnel might be closed or open based on the snowfall for that day.
In Solang, they would take you via ATV to the valley itself which is like a 10 min drive. Don't fall prey into things like Skiing, its all fake.

Hope this helps
bhphog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 10:13   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Just got back from Manali a week ago, to answer your questions:
Thanks bhphog for advice. From your reply, i think you stay towards Shahdara.

Since i stay in Pitampura, going for western peripheral will be some extra kms. Mukarba Chowk is quite near and Singhu Border route suits us well. Till the route was closed, we had to find different ways, but otherwise it's a perfect route for us.

Point noted on IIT Mandi road. Will take normal route that has construction going on and are thinking to leave around 3am. Since plan is to experience snowfall, we are not keen on visiting Atal Tunnel, or any other place. Just relax at hotel and visit old Manali for fooding.

Keeping fingers crossed & keeping tab on weather app. Hope we find snow this time.
woodstock3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 16:51   #180
BHPian

Friends anybody did the Delhi -Manali drive recently? Any pointers or roads to avoid would be really helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks