Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2022, 23:06   #181
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Kullu - Manali - Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir View Post
Friends anybody did the Delhi -Manali drive recently? Any pointers or roads to avoid would be really helpful.
This is the update from second half of Feb:

Delhi-Chandigarh:
Enough is available on other threads, but my experience was:
1) I came via Peripheral Expressway, and the junction you join to NH-44 had some work going on, so a bit of traffic (slow moving). This was a Saturday, around 10 am or so. Thereafter, the roads were busy but no traffic jam, though keep in mind some flyovers and hence diversions till before Panipat.
Return: It was Sunday evening, expectedly busy traffic, and the junction where NH-44 gives way to Peripheral saw a massive jam. Almost 30-45 mins to cross 2-3 kms. Avoid Sunday evening as much as possible.

2) Post Panipat, most of the road is clear, but the occasional accident or road-works meant that lanes merge leading to some traffic but no jam.

3) Ambala -- Chandigarh: First time for me on this road, and they call it Expressway. But road surface is not great, and its not access-control. Lots of local 2/3 wheelers and tractors.
5-10 min traffic jam at Zirakpur turn. I am told this is common phenomenon.

Chandigarh--Manali:
I will further divide it into 3 segments
1) We drove from Mohali, so took the Rupnagar-->Right Turn at Kirtarpur Sahib and enter HP. Good roads throughout.

2) As you start the hills & soon after entering HP, there is some tunnel/construction work happening, so that patch is quite bad. And overall, roads were not great for 15-20 mins at the least.
Other than this, roads till Bilaspur are fine, a bit patchy in places but nothing to worry about.

If you take Chandigarh-->Baddi-->Nalagarh route, you will join at Swarghat towards Bilaspur.

We did Bilaspur to Mandi post sunset, and except in places, road is fine.

3) Mandi --> Manali was done at night (9.30 pm to 12 midnight) post dinner in Mandi and for this, the only option was the narrow road via Kamand, Kataula, Bajaura. Good road, but damn narrow. I wonder how cars would cross through those narrow village roads during day (pretty sure its a spectacular drive during the day). Since we were driving at odd time, we barely met 10 cars throughout the drive. (My strong guess is 6!)
After Bajaura, its good 4 lane roads till Manali. Occasional patch, but nothing bad.

On the return, it was a day drive and we did Manali to Mandi via the regular NH3 route via Aut Tunnel. Manali to Aut is mostly 4 lane roads, and there is construction happening at rapid speed So it will be only better.
The stretch after Aut Tunnel till you descend into Pandoh dam is not good at all due to significant tunnel/bridge constructions. Some places, the road is real bad.

Overall, we enjoyed the drive. Going by the construction work, I think we will have major tunnels soon that will reduce the time in half to reach Manali from the plains near Kirtarpur Sahib.
We did quite a bit of night driving, but felt super safe, though were very careful as well and changed drivers to be on full alert mode.

Have a good drive! Happy to answer Qs if any

Cheers!
VT-RNS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 23:14   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

I am planning to drive to Sissu from Pune next weekend (19-20 March). Any latest updates on road conditions and specific route to be taken will be appreciated.
Old 14th March 2022, 00:31   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
This is the update from second half of Feb:
Thanks a lot for the detailed updates buddy - really helpful . I will post my experience once I am also through with my trip. Have done the Delhi- Shimla
umpteen times, but Manali would be a first.
Old 21st March 2022, 13:52   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am planning to drive to Sissu from Pune next weekend (19-20 March). Any latest updates on road conditions and specific route to be taken will be appreciated.
Did you go on this trip? I am also planning in the last week of March from Pune.
I might take Indore-Gwalior-Agra-Chandigarh-Manali route. While coming back we intend to come via Chandigarh-Delhi-Ahm-Mumbai-Pune
Old 23rd March 2022, 00:37   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomz View Post
Did you go on this trip? I am also planning in the last week of March from Pune.
I might take Indore-Gwalior-Agra-Chandigarh-Manali route. While coming back we intend to come via Chandigarh-Delhi-Ahm-Mumbai-Pune
We intended to take Mumbai Ahm Delhi Panchkula route but lost our way after Baroda thanks to Google maps and wasted a good 4 hours going through some GJ state highways before merging back onto NH48 before Gandhinagar. There is a lot of work going on NH48 in GJ but I would suggest stick to NH48 all the time if you are taking this route.

Also, we went to Narkanda first and then to Manali via Jalori pass, this route merges on the Manali highway just before Aut tunnel. Lot of work is going on between aut tunnel exit and Kullu but it's manageable. From Kullu to Manali is 4 lane and surface is excellent.

Will update on Manali Sissu road tomorrow when we reach sissu.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 23rd March 2022 at 00:38.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 10:10   #186
BHPian

Quote:
We intended to take Mumbai Ahm Delhi Panchkula route but lost our way after Baroda thanks to Google maps and wasted a good 4 hours going through some GJ state highways before merging back onto NH48 before Gandhinagar. There is a lot of work going on NH48 in GJ but I would suggest stick to NH48 all the time if you are taking this route.

Also, we went to Narkanda first and then to Manali via Jalori pass, this route merges on the Manali highway just before Aut tunnel. Lot of work is going on between aut tunnel exit and Kullu but it's manageable. From Kullu to Manali is 4 lane and surface is excellent.

Will update on Manali Sissu road tomorrow when we reach sissu.
Oh, guess you missed taking the expressway to Ahm. Google Maps, usually its fine but one odd time, it surely can get to you. I had gone via the other highway on my bike ride to Ajmer. Was pretty alright!

Any particular reason you headed from Shimla side to Manali. This has brought a good thought to my mind and now am inclined to go that way. I have been to Jalori pass but not crossed over.

Manali, I would just be passing thru(2-3days) as I want to stay more in Lahaul.

Thanks for all your updates, they do help. Have a wonderful time and travel safe!

Old 24th March 2022, 00:51   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, guess you missed taking the expressway to Ahm. Google Maps, usually its fine but one odd time, it surely can get to you. I had gone via the other highway on my bike ride to Ajmer. Was pretty alright!
Google maps continuously prompted us to exit expressway. For me, potholes are easier to negotiate on a bike due to short wheelbase and zero wheel track.

Quote:
Any particular reason you headed from Shimla side to Manali. This has brought a good thought to my mind and now am inclined to go that way. I have been to Jalori pass but not crossed over.
We wanted to check out Narkanda and Nako if feasible.

Quote:

Thanks for all your updates, they do help. Have a wonderful time and travel safe!

Welcome. Good luck with your trip.
Old 31st March 2022, 16:39   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Google maps continuously prompted us to exit expressway. For me, potholes are easier to negotiate on a bike due to short wheelbase and zero wheel track.

We wanted to check out Narkanda and Nako if feasible.

Welcome. Good luck with your trip.

Any recent traveller to Manali from Delhi? Which is the best place to take an overnight halt if starting from Delhi after lunch?
Old 31st March 2022, 16:49   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbksc View Post
Which is the best place to take an overnight halt if starting from Delhi after lunch?
Swarghat but limited stay options.HPTDC is best.

If want to enjoy some Punjabi hospitality-but slight de route & offbeat location, try The Kikar Lodge, near Kiratpur Sahib

Last edited by MissionManali : 31st March 2022 at 16:51.
MissionManali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 14:46   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Any recent traveller to Manali from Delhi? Which is the best place to take an overnight halt if starting from Delhi after lunch?
Quote:

Manali, I would just be passing thru(2-3days) as I want to stay more in Lahaul.

How is the current road condition after Ambala upto Manali via Kurali - Bilaspur?
Old 6th April 2022, 15:33   #191
BHPian

Quote:
How is the current road condition after Ambala upto Manali via Kurali - Bilaspur?
Not sure as I went to Narkanda and then via Jalori to Tirthan.

Last edited by Mushroomz : 6th April 2022 at 15:34.
Old 27th April 2022, 14:46   #192

We drove down from Chandigarh to Kullu on the 15th of Apr 2022 and the NH3 road which is under construction is horrible.

There were times when I felt the bottom of the car will give way.

We had rented a Revv car (Creta, manual) from Chandigarh. Left at 7 AM from a hotel in Mohali - 2 adults, 2 kids.

Reached Kullu by 5 PM.

We only stopped an hour for breakfast - at Sarai Bharatgarh (quite good, recommended).

We were stopped 30m during some construction activity and we also got caught in a traffic jam (due to an accident) for 30m. So didn't stop for lunch.

We are returning on the 29th of Apr 2022 - and are strongly considering coming back via the IIT Mandi route - which is a state highway.

Taking a right from Bajaura (instead of going straight down for NH3).
And then coming via Bajaura -> Kamand -> IIT Mandi -> Mandi -> Sunder nagar -> Bilaspur -> Kiratpur Sahib -> Chandigarh.

Some folks have already taken this route in Feb here -- and even at night and have been fine.

I just wanted to check if someone has been recently on this route and would advise against it.

We are starting at 5:30 AM from here in Kullu and I have decent experience driving in mountainous terrains.

Thanks!
Old 30th April 2022, 19:08   #193

An update -- we took the State Highway (IIT Mandi route) and it was a beautiful drive.

"How difficult a drive is" is a very relative thing (I have learnt) - so I am going to try and highlight parts of our journey objectively so you can make a better choice if you would like to take this route.

We left at 6:15 AM in the morning from Bandrol and had breakfast at the Visco Resort past Mandi at 8:45 AM.

The drive like I said was super scenic - and the ghats reminded me of the old-time ghats - a bunch of sharp hairpin bends and about 95% of the roads were paved and in fairly good condition.

Lots of pine trees and beautiful views with a bunch of small tapris selling chai and Maggi along the route.

The first half of the drive is on single lane roads -- and there are no barriers - just some stones on the sides (like old-time highways).

There were about 5 times when I had to pull on the side to let another vehicle pass through.

So if that scares you, you might not be comfortable on this route.

We left early and didn't have a lot of oncoming traffic until 7:30 / 8 AM -- at which time we were on a two-lane stretch - so it was manageable. But there are some Himachal Govt buses plying apart from the usual local cars (altos), that you will need to negotiate.

If you are coming to Kullu from Chandigarh's side, there will be a few hairpins bends with steep inclines - so if you are not comfortable turning the car on a sharp turn with an incline, you may need to reconsider this.

I was driving a rented geared Creta (Revv) and we were comfortable through the journey.
(I drive at fairly reasonable speeds and the max we would have hit on this stretch would be 40km. Most would be around 30 km/hour).

I also found a Youtube video where someone has recorded the video of their drive along the route which was quite similar to our experience.

Search for: "Manali to Mandi via IIT-Mandi - Car Drive | Kamand | Kullu | RoadTrip | Himachal | Travel | Himalaya" by Himachali Nomad (not sure if I am allowed to link to websites on the forum).

URL:

TLR;
Go for it if you have driven on ghats and are comfortable negotiating oncoming vehicles on a single lane road.

Avoid if you are new to driving and have limited driving experience.
saurabhj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 17:07   #194
BHPian

I started from Noida Sec 61 at 1420 hrs on Fri, May 13th, 2022. Google maps took me via Eastern Peripheral expressway
* Panipat 1620 hrs
* Karnal 1645 hrs ,
* Ambala 1745 hrs,

( non stop, one 15 minutes jam where EP joins the main highway before Sonipat)

* Kharar 1925 hrs, 304 kms travel
* Swarghat 2110 hrs, 384 kms from Noida home - NIGHT STAY AT HPTDC HOTEL(pre booked)

#( two stops, 1) 15 minutes at railway crossing after Banur following the road as per google maps that was avoidable had the main highways as alternate routes up to Kharar were taken 2) refreshment break of 20 minutes after ambala)
# roads very good, 100 kmph doable except the 15 kms village stretch after Banur rly crossings that was avoidable.

NEXT Morning - Sat, 14th May

Left hotel at 0800 hrs for Manali after BF. Comfortable overnight stay with good food and reasonable rates.
Old 12th June 2022, 21:21   #195
kdp
BHPian

Hi, we are planning a trip to Manali (and possibly beyond) from gurgaon in the last week of june and return by around 5th of July. we recently moved back to NCR after almost 2 decades so pardon some noobish questions about the roads.
  1. For us a comfortable-stress free journey is a bit more of a priority than minimal travel time or distance and we are okay to break journey (travelling with teenagers and our vehicle is not super comfortable at the back)
  2. We'll be driving a vehicle with Runflats, so puncture avoidance is also a bit of a priority
  3. Its been years since I have driven in the hills - if you exclude the ghat driving enroute to Goa

May I request the "Manali and beyond" veterans share their perspective on which is the best route for these constraints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Swaraghat to Bilaspur is a permanent mess. Roads aren’t great and if you get stuck in a traffic jam, you may be stuck for hours. It is totally doable in your BMW, but it will be tiring.

An alternate route is via Ludhiana-Phagwara-Hoshiarpur-Mandi. This is a good 120-150km longer, but it is good roads all throughout. Traffic is also lesser.
While this post is a bit dated but does this still hold true? If so are there good hotels in Phagwara or Hoshiarpur to break journey or is Ludhiana the correct option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhj View Post
An update -- we took the State Highway (IIT Mandi route) and it was a beautiful drive.

TLR;
Go for it if you have driven on ghats and are comfortable negotiating oncoming vehicles on a single lane road.

Avoid if you are new to driving and have limited driving experience.
just for reference; could anyone compare how would the road width of this route compare with Ajara-Amboli or Mollem-Anmod in Goa? also by NH3 you mean to road to Aut tunnel and beyond?

Last edited by kdp : 12th June 2022 at 21:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks