Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2011, 14:13   #31
BHPian

re: Delhi to KanyaKumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Gautam, thanks for the praise!
Stop over in Valsad will be perfect.
However, traffic leading to Bombay in early morning hours is also high, but that can't be helped. If you leave by 4 am, you can make it past Thane by 730 am before the peak hour traffic starts and you can be in Pune by 1030 am.
Please call anytime during your drive if you need any help en route.
Check out my log books of the route for guidance on road detail and hotels.
Check out the following link on how to bypass Bombay, via Thane:
HOW TO BYPASS BOMBAY via New Bombay - North side - hvkumar | Google Groups
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say MMI maps are not that bad. Its just that you cannot let them
blindly guide you. You will need to perform some route planning on your
PC and somehow transfer the route plan to your set (through waypoints, routes etc)

I would suggest, you should somehow create route planning front end solution
on your PC and plan out all your main entry/exit/bypass options for major cities.
In most cases, the router algorithm of the hardware typically would find an
optimum solution mainly going through the city/town in question.
Yes Buddy.I agree with you. One simply cannot depend on it. Though I don't know its performance after the map upgrade to 6.1. I will find out when drive down to kolkata next month. Wondering if google maps can be loaded in my Garmin device.Their maps must be far better than Map My India. I do extensive route planning before I leave for any trip, but it is inside the cities that I find itdifficult to navigate. And map my India has not been at all helpful.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:34   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactgautam View Post
Yes Buddy.I agree with you. One simply cannot depend on it. Though I don't know its performance after the map upgrade to 6.1. I will find out when drive down to kolkata next month. Wondering if google maps can be loaded in my Garmin device.Their maps must be far better than Map My India. I do extensive route planning before I leave for any trip, but it is inside the cities that I find itdifficult to navigate. And map my India has not been at all helpful.
Since you have a Garmin device, you can install Mapsource on your PC and add MMI maps (that you have on your device).
The routing algorithm in Mapsource would be same as the one in your device. You can check the routing there and see how you would pass through the main cities.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Since you have a Garmin device, you can install Mapsource on your PC and add MMI maps (that you have on your device).
The routing algorithm in Mapsource would be same as the one in your device. You can check the routing there and see how you would pass through the main cities.
And how do I install Mapsource in my PC. Give me the website from where I can download it into my PC. And how would Mapsource complement MMI maps.Could you please explain it in a little more detail. Would appreciate if you do so.
Old 28th November 2011, 06:35   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And how do I install Mapsource in my PC. Give me the website from where I can download it into my PC. And how would Mapsource complement MMI maps.Could you please explain it in a little more detail. Would appreciate if you do so.
- Installing mapsource is easy. Go to Garmin site and in the support tab you should see S/W.

Support | Software | Garmin

EDIT: Sometimes a straight install may say, "did not find" a previous installed version and hence the process would terminate.
In that case untar the package, install the MSI file in the package and then run Setup. Then it should work.

- But its getting mapsource to read the third party maps (MMI/Satguide) which is the tricky part.

Last edited by ampere : 28th November 2011 at 07:04.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 10:49   #35
BHPian

Okay! Now howdo I tackle this tricky issue i.e. to makemapsource read MMI files. Please help me on this
Old 28th November 2011, 22:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
- Installing mapsource is easy. Go to Garmin site and in the support tab you should see S/W.

Support | Software | Garmin

EDIT: Sometimes a straight install may say, "did not find" a previous installed version and hence the process would terminate.
In that case untar the package, install the MSI file in the package and then run Setup. Then it should work.

- But its getting mapsource to read the third party maps (MMI/Satguide) which is the tricky part.
+I have downloaded the web updater and the mapsource you were talking about. I faced problems you anticipated and did exactly what you said. I firstly untared the file and subsequently installed the MSI file in the package. Now the next step. I am already in debts to you so to say. Now the the last part. How the hell do I tackle the tricky part ?? How do I get Mapsource to read the third party Map such as MMI in my case. Awaiting your response as always. Chow!
Old 29th November 2011, 00:24   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
+I have downloaded the web updater and the mapsource you were talking about. I faced problems you anticipated and did exactly what you said. I firstly untared the file and subsequently installed the MSI file in the package. Now the next step. I am already in debts to you so to say. Now the the last part. How the hell do I tackle the tricky part ?? How do I get Mapsource to read the third party Map such as MMI in my case. Awaiting your response as always. Chow!
There are three steps to install.

1 Split the MMI maps (MMI provided map file) by using gmaptool
2. Once they are split, you need to compile these files so that they can be understood by Mapsource. You need to use a S/W cgpsmapper
3. Once done you need to install file into Mapsource by use of mapsettoolkit.

All these S/W are available online.

Do send me a PM. I can help with the exact commands. Since this thread is more about routes, I did not want to get into technical and S/W aspects.

Last edited by ampere : 29th November 2011 at 00:25.
Old 29th November 2011, 10:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
There are three steps to install.

1 Split the MMI maps (MMI provided map file) by using gmaptool
2. Once they are split, you need to compile these files so that they can be understood by Mapsource. You need to use a S/W cgpsmapper
3. Once done you need to install file into Mapsource by use of mapsettoolkit.

All these S/W are available online.

Do send me a PM. I can help with the exact commands. Since this thread is more about routes, I did not want to get into technical and S/W aspects.
This thing will surely make my navigator give me precise route to my destination. But before that I have a lot of work to do such as you said. Please, please help me with the exact set of commands that will enable me to split MMI maps and then to later compile them so that mapsource can read the third part maps.
Old 6th July 2012, 17:36   #39
BHPian

I am planning similar trip from delhi this August on my newly purchased yeti. I have came up with following plan. Request folks to give some input about road condition etc.

1. Delhi - Mumbai - Starts on 9th Night and reach mumbai by next evening.
Q: Is it possible? How is the road condition after ahmedabad?
2. Mumbai - Goa
Q: Which route considering it will be raining?
3. Goa - Mid Halt on the way to Kanyakuamari/Mid Way
Q: Can i drive all the way to kanyakumari? Road condition? Expected travel time? Any other tip?
4. Kanyakumari to bangalore.
Q: Is it better or should i take the same route towards goa and divert towards pune
5. Pune - Shirdi - Ahmedabad
Q: Again road condition? How much time for shirdi?

Request members here to suggest any other route? I just have 10 day in hand and need to be back in delhi by 19th Morning
Old 6th July 2012, 18:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I am planning similar trip from delhi this August on my newly purchased yeti. I have came up with following plan. Request folks to give some input about road condition etc.

2. Mumbai - Goa
Q: Can i drive all the way to kanyakumari? Road condition? Expected travel time? Any other tip?
Q: Is it better or should i take the same route towards goa and divert towards pune

Request members here to suggest any other route? I just have 10 day in hand and need to be back in delhi by 19th Morning
Q: How is the road condition after ahmedabad?
Ahmedabad - Mumbai road is fantastic... nothing to worry. Since you will be doing this stretch in the day time, you can expect traffic. But the route is 6-laned all thru, so you can easily do avg speeds of 100-110. Few flyovers in the last leg of construction near the Maha border but wont really slow you down. Will you be the only driver?

Pune- Kolhapur route. The NH 17 Konkan route is very scenic in the monsoons but not advisable as there could be landslides etc that can stop/slow you. The road also takes a beeting due to the rains. There are plenty of threads on BHP for information on Pune-Goa route.

All the way from Goa to Kanyakumari without a stopover? Very difficult. Road widening toward southern Karnataka (Udupi-Suratkal-Manglore) will slow you down. Also the roads in Kerala are a nightmare for any driver. Narrow congested roads with heavy slow moving traffic. Last year, the roads in north Kerala till Calicut were in total mess due to the rains. Not sure about this year since rains have not been that heavy. Central and South Kerala have better roads but traffic and a careless population still remains a cause of worry. Overall it will be an extremely stressful drive.

Q: Kanyakumari to bangalore.
Last year I had done Thrissur - Bglore via Nilambur-Gudalur-Gundalpet-Mysore-Bglr in July end (or was it August begining...not sure). Excellent road, scenic route. We enjoyed every bit of it. Started from Thrisur at around 5 am and reached Bglr by 5.30ish in the evening driving at a very leisurely pace. However, since most of the route is hilly and thru forests, plan for your food halts as not much options till Mysore. If you want to enjoy a scenic drive, you could consider this route.

Didnt get you. You mean driving from Bglore to Pune? If yes, no need to go to Goa. Just follow NH4 all the way to Pune. Excellent road all thru. Just be careful of unmarked speed breakers esp around Davangere.

Q: Pune - Shirdi - Ahmedabad
No idea about this.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 19:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post

2. Mumbai - Goa

Just to add to what Sandy has already suggested which is very exhaustive,following are my inputs:

DEL-BOM Sector
Del-Udaipur:Approx 10hrs of non-stop driving,time on this sector is dependent on how much time you lose between Jaipur and Delhi

UDP-AMD:This is a 4-5hour drive

AMD-Ghodbunder:7hr drive

BOM-GOA
Avoid NH17 if its a fast drive you are looking at.Go via NH4.

Ghodbunder-Pune:3-4hr drive dependent on how soon you manage to enter and exit Mumbai

Pune-Satara-Kolhapur:4hours

Kolhapur-Sankeshwar-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim : 4-5hours

Goa-Kanyakumari

Panjim-NH17-Karwar-NH63-Yellapur-Hubli-NH4-Bangalore : 11-12hrs

Bangalore-Kanyakumari

All through via NH7.

Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Dindigul-Madurai-Virudhunagar-Kanyakumari: 11hrs

Kanyakumari-Bangalore

Same route as the one that you came on,if you go through Kerala taking the NH47,you would lose tremendous time as Kerala is densely populated and NH47 is the lifeline of the state.

Bangalore-Shirdi

Bangalore-NH4-Tumkur-Hubli-Kolhapur-Satara-Mumbai Pune Bypass on NH4-Dehu Road-4lane Nagar Road-Ranjangaon-Shirur-Supa-Ahmednagar-Rahata-Shirdi :Approximately 13-15hrs nonstop

Shirdi-Ahmedabad

Shirdi-Dhule-Malegaon-Surat:Approx 6-7hrs

Surat-Baroda-Ahmedabad :3-4hrs

Ahmedabad-Delhi : 15hrs(dependent on Jaipur-Delhi,could be less or more)
Old 6th July 2012, 19:23   #42
BHPian

We will be three drivers. so it won't be a solo drive. From Goa to Kanyakumari, how about going via bangalore? We can take a night halt in bangalore. I am guessing the road condition from goa to bangalore are good, so this will will avoid bad stretches of kerala.
Old 6th July 2012, 21:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Bangalore-Kanyakumari

All through via NH7.

Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Dindigul-Madurai-Virudhunagar-Kanyakumari: 11hrs
I think 11 hours is a gross overestimate. I've done Bangalore-Kavalkkinar (about 20 kms or so north of Kanyakumari) in under 7 hours during the time when there wasn't any roadwork going on in the Hosur-Krishnagiri sector. Add an hour or even two to account for the roadwork in progress / increased traffic, and you should still be able to do it in under 9 hours for sure.
Old 6th July 2012, 21:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u
We will be three drivers. so it won't be a solo drive. From Goa to Kanyakumari, how about going via bangalore? We can take a night halt in bangalore. I am guessing the road condition from goa to bangalore are good, so this will will avoid bad stretches of kerala.
Yes goa to kanyakumari if you go back and see,the route I have suggested goes via bangalore.Goa to bangalore is excellent.go via NH17-NH63-NH4 as suggested in the plan

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 6th July 2012 at 21:19.
Old 6th July 2012, 21:46   #45
BHPian

Thanks. One of my friend is against so much driving and is suggesting to go till goa only. he is one of the traveler with me. I am just trying to convince him

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks