Team-BHP - Route query to Wayanad
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Route query to Wayanad (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/82069-route-query-wayanad.html)

Hi Guys,

I am planning a trip to Wayanad during the end of June with my spouse. I would like to drive down to Wayanad either from Salem or from Bangalore. I have some basic questions. Could someone who has already done this trip give some ideas/tips about the same?

I am planning to stay in Wayanad, but yet to decide a resort, the stay would be 5 days. I came up with some resorts by browsing but I am very confused now after going through reviews on the web.

I have shortlisted some resorts which are Haritagiri, Wynberg resorts, Royal Palm, Blue ginger, Vythiri resorts & Rain Country Resorts. My budget would be around 13k for accommodation.

1. Could someone tell me whether which is the best resort in Wayanad?

2. Which would be the best route, Bangalore -> Mysore -> Guldalpet -> Sultan battery -> Wayanad (or) Salem -> Ooty -> Gudalur -> Wayanad (Or) Salem -> Coimbatore -> Phalghat -> Wayanad.

3. How the weather would be during end of June? Is this the appropriate time to visit Wayanad?

4. Which are the places I can visit in and around Wayanad?

Thanks for all your help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabsubs (Post 1900797)
I have shortlisted some resorts which are Haritagiri, Wynberg resorts, Royal Palm, Blue ginger, Vythiri resorts & Rain Country Resorts. My budget would be around 13k for accommodation.

1. Could someone tell me whether which is the best resort in Wayanad?
2. Which would be the best route, Bangalore -> Mysore -> Guldalpet -> Sultan battery -> Wayanad (or) Salem -> Ooty -> Gudalur -> Wayanad (Or) Salem -> Coimbatore -> Phalghat -> Wayanad.
3. How the weather would be during end of June? Is this the appropriate time to visit Wayanad?

4. Which are the places I can visit in and around Wayanad?

Thanks for all your help.

Vythri is best and also the costliest. Stayed there almost 5-6 years back, when this place was catching up.

Wynberg is just after Kalpetta (At Kakavayal) Had been there almost 2 years back. You need to climb to the best room. The whole resort is steep. On the whole a nice place. Not sure of other places.

The best route is via Mysore. (Bangalore -> Mysore -> Guldalpet -> Sultan battery -> Wayanad ) Amazing and Flawless.
Coffee Days all the way and no dearth of food.
Don't even think of going via Ooty. Thats huge roundabout.

June would be the monsoon start season. Ideal time should be November, when the monsoon would have subsided and water bodies would be full.
But still its worth sitting in a verandah and enjoying the rain during the rainy season!

Places to visit are many. The usual ones: Pookot Lake, Eddekal Caves and a trek to the peak. There are many small places, but these are the main ones.

Look at this TL.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ip-2010-a.html

GVK stayed at this following place.

HOTEL ISSAC'S Regency || Experience nature's bounty, Hotels Wayanad, Resorts Wayanad, Honeymoon Tour Wayanad

Looks good.

rains kick in by June ! so be prepared for that. But if you are the one who like rains, then rains in Wayanad should be a bliss.

As for the route BLR-Mys-Gundelpet-SultanBattery-Wayanad is the best ! I did this stretch last weekend and the roads are hassle free. Except, even though the roads are free of potholes, it might be a bumpy ride in a hatchback like Santro, swift, i10. With a sedan you wont know it !

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3va (Post 1902830)
rains kick in by June ! so be prepared for that. But if you are the one who like rains, then rains in Wayanad should be a bliss.

As for the route BLR-Mys-Gundelpet-SultanBattery-Wayanad is the best ! I did this stretch last weekend and the roads are hassle free. Except, even though the roads are free of potholes, it might be a bumpy ride in a hatchback like Santro, swift, i10. With a sedan you wont know it !

If starting from Salem, the Sathy-Mettupalayam-Ooty-Gudalur route would probably be shorter, faster and much more scenic. The traffic density on the Bangalore-Mysore route is horrendous - It took me about 3 hours to get from Mysore to Kengeri yesterday evening.

As for Wayanad in end June - not the best time to go if you're planning to visit tourist spots. It would probably be raining most of the time and places like Kuruva Island may be closed also. But if you want to just sit back and relax, nothing like it - it would be lovely :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kala (Post 1902977)
The traffic density on the Bangalore-Mysore route is horrendous - It took me about 3 hours to get from Mysore to Kengeri yesterday evening.

Totally agree on this, but it depends on what time of the day and week you are driving.
On a sunday afternoon I drove from Mysore to Bangalore in 3 hours to the door. (I took the NICE road).

This included a lunch break of half an hour. (Also I don't cross 80-90 most cases)

Bangalore - Mysore highways have more speed breakers than the number of intersections. So drive cautiously.

I visited Wayanad in Jan 2009 and i stayed at Karapuzha resort. This place is located near to Karapuzha dam and the dam is a 2 minutes walk from the resort.

This is a secluded place and i would recommend this place. the food is awesome - real spicy northern Kerala cuisine. They claim that all the vegetables used are home grown in their estates.

here is the link to their website - Karapuzhalakeshore Resort,Wayanad, Kerala, India - Wayanad Hotels, Wayanad resorts, Wayanad tourism,Karapuzhalakeshore Resort Wayanad - Nature Resorts North Kerala

I suggest you to also try "Pepper Green Resorts" in Wayanad near Kuruva Island(Pepper Green Village, Wayanad Resort, Kuruva Island Resort, Wayanad Holidays). I personally suggest you this property since I had been to this place in October 2009 for my anniversary. There is some 10% discount (sometimes more for longer stay) for Team-BHP members. The place is just awesome and you will surely like.

Please have a look at this- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-wayanad.html for more information.

Incase you need any further details then let me know.

Regards

Sanjeev

Thanks a ton guys. Let me try calling the resorts that you have mentioned. After going through the replies I would like to try the Mysore -> Gundalpet route to Wayanad.

@krsh77, I will try calling the resort and get the tariffs.

@sanju.iitm, Pepper Green Resorts seems good on their website. I will surely call them and try to get some discounts. Actually they have mentioned that the discounts would be 25% for more than 4 days stay. If the need be then I shall get in touch with you.

My travelogue referred by Sanjeev should give a good idea about the route and the resort. I heard roads are bad from Kutta to Kerala border, not sure whether this has improved. Roads were bad near Kattiukulam but has improved recently in my knowledge . Hope other BHPians done this route recently can provide an update. Gundelpet-SultanBattery-Wayanad road is excellent but you will enjoy Hunsur - Nagerhole - Kutta - Kattikulam road for the vast forest stretches and will be shorter if you are staying in Pepper Green. If you staying aound Sultan Bathery or Kalpetta no second thoughts, go for Gundelpet-SultanBattery
My details on another trip is here, but he place is more suited for Wildlife enthusiasts http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ild-again.html

I think the route query has been amply covered. The resorts listed by you are all fine.
I would like to share my two day experience in the 3rd week of Feb this year .
The stay was at EDAKKAL HERMITAGE..on way to the Edakkal Caves..the 2 day stay was very pleasant and fully charming. You can find out more at
Edakkal Caves, Wayanad, Kerala, India

The staff was courteous, the food lovely and the ambience was good.Highly recommended by me.

A word of caution about your travel dates..late June will be very rainy and moving about can be tiresome as tourist spots are spread at some distances, which is true of all resorts. The minimum commute will be approx 40-50km from one spot to other.So go prepared having the above facts in mind.
If you wish to stay put at the resorts and enjoy the rains, that will be good too.But do visit the Edakkal caves..just a short trek from the resort..astounding.
Have a safe and happy tour.

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot giving ample inputs. I just finished my trip to Wayanad. I stayed there for 4 days in a resort called Wynberg.

I drove from Bangalore and went via Gundlupet. The roads are good till Wayanad but apart from Mysore to Nanjangud, the road was potholed till Nanjangud. It took almost 7 hours to reach the Wayanad, this includes traversing through Bangalore traffic.

It was a very good experience in the resort. This resort is not commercialized. They have converted a plantation into a resort which consists of few cottages starting from eco-cottage to deluxe cottage. The food provided there was really good and we enjoyed Kerala delicacies. We Enjoyed the pre-monsoon and the onset of monsoon in Gods own country. The drive while coming back from Wayanad was amazing since it was raining and we could enjoy the greenery throughout. Thanks once again for your help. I would write up a travelogue on my visit to Wayanad and post some pics as well.

Great to hear that you had a nice stay there! Do post some snaps of your travels!

sabsubs - Good to hear you enjoyed the trip, had heard about Wynberg, but never stayed there. It is a pity that Mysore Nagangud road is neglected for so long though being one of the busiest interstate highway. Waiting for your travelogue and snaps

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadadhar (Post 1956470)
sabsubs - Good to hear you enjoyed the trip, had heard about Wynberg, but never stayed there. It is a pity that Mysore Nagangud road is neglected for so long though being one of the busiest interstate highway. Waiting for your travelogue and snaps

I dont know why but NH212 was fixed/relaid only beyond Nanjangud.