Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 12:31   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Ganeshgudi - which route should I take?

Option 1 - Stick to NH4 and deviate somewhere after Shiggaon

Option 2 - Tumkur > NH206 and deviate from Talaguppa - Sirsi - Yallapur

Any recent update on road condition of Option 2?
Old 26th May 2010, 12:39   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Option 1 - Stick to NH4 and deviate somewhere after Shiggaon

Option 2 - Tumkur > NH206 and deviate from Talaguppa - Sirsi - Yallapur

Any recent update on road condition of Option 2?

The Shiggaon route is the preferred route, the last time I went there, the Haliyal-Dandeli route was being re-tarred. To get to Ganeshgudi, you will bypass Dandeli when travelling from Haliyal.

The Sirsi- Yallapur route will be longer though the road's in good condition.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Easiest route to Ganeshgudi is via Hubli/Haliyal. Yellapur route would be roundabout, unless you want to enjoy the route in rains.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:18   #4
BHPian

thanks watfor & ampere. I will stick to NH4
Old 26th May 2010, 18:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfor View Post
To get to Ganeshgudi, you will bypass Dandeli when travelling from Haliyal.
@watfor

This is the part I am confused. How can you by-pass Dandeli.
I thought the route should be :

Hubli - Haliyal - Dandeli - Joida - Ganeshgudi

Only when one is coming from Yellapur, he/she can hit Haliyal directly.

Last edited by ampere : 26th May 2010 at 18:44.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@watfor

This is the part I am confused. How can you by-pass Dandeli.
I thought the route should be :

Hubli - Haliyal - Dandeli - Joida - Ganeshgudi

Only when one is coming from Yellapur, he/she can hit Haliyal directly.

After Hubli-Dharwad - haliyal there is an intersection; one which takes you towards Dandeli. Another one which goes straight through the forest and to Ganeshgudi. No Joida either.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:13   #7
BHPian

Back form the trip

OK am back from the trip. Thank you all for all the info. I tried both the routes

The onward route I took was Bangalore – Nelamangala – Tumkur - Chitradurga – Ranebennur – Haveri - Hubli (all NH4) and now the tricky part. In between Hubli - Dharwad (bypass) you have look for a underpass that goes to Haliyal to your left. But there is no exit to the left. So you have to slow down, look for a bunch of mango trees (with a old security guard) and take sharp right. Go down few hundred meters on the dirt road and hit the underpass road, take right and continue twds Haliyal. Best part is there is no signs whatsoever. I missed it twice. Went all the way upto Londa highway junction and again returned to Kalghatgi highway junction (NH63). The road we took is SH28. >> Haliyal - Ganeshgudi – Old Magazine House.

I hope this helps

Total distance was 569 km from point to point. Approx distance was 490 km from Yeswantpur. Did 20 odd km during road hunting. Started late due to puncture. Effectively started from Tumkur at 10:15 am after replacing tube. Reached Old Magazine house at 4:30 pm. 1 BF + 1 Lunch + 1 tea break.

Return Route - Ganeshgudi – Yellapur – Sirsi – Banavasi – Sorab - Siralkoppa- Shikarpur – Shimoga – Tarikere – Kadur – Arsikere – Tumkur – Nelamangala – Bangalore - Approx distance was till 520 km

Started at 10:30 am - reached Nelamangala at 8:45pm. And another grueling 2:30 hours to reach home. 1 Lunch + 1 tea break.

The return route was very scenic and less traffic but lot of change in directions, no sign boards in English or Hindi and lots of villages I couldn't manitain a consistent speed. Due to this I lost lot of time. Otherwise difference is only of 30 odd km.

So if you want to reach your destination faster - stick to NH4
Old 14th January 2011, 20:56   #8

re: Bangalore - Ganeshgudi - which route should I take?

Did this circuit in my car last month.
Trip route map

Ongoing
BLR-haveri-shiggaon-TADAS-KALGHATGI-haliyal-Ganeshgudi

return route
Ganeshgudi-Anshi forest reserve-Karwar-Honnavar-Sagar-Shimoga-BLR

ROAD less travelled-
->TADAS-KALGhatgi: this stretch of road is recommended only if you want to experience some serious motocross/cross country experience.no paved roads greet you here, but the road surface condition isn't that bad, the avg top speed we reached here was 70 kmph.covered this stretch pretty fast.
-> Kalghatgi-Haliyal : road under contruction.very poor surface condition.avg speed was 30 kmph.
-> Ganeshgudi-Anshi-KArwar : road inside the forest reserve(35 kms) is in abysmal condition, surely not seen asphalt for years.its a ENDURANCE track for the motorr vehicles.

If you want to have some fun, use the above 3 routes, else there are better/conventional routes you can take to save time.
Old 14th January 2011, 21:51   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfor View Post
After Hubli-Dharwad - haliyal there is an intersection; one which takes you towards Dandeli. Another one which goes straight through the forest and to Ganeshgudi. No Joida either.
Extremely sorry for that slip. Yes Joida-Dandeli-Ganeshgudi form a triangle, whose three sides I have driven many times. Amazingly scenic, but horrible roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithnarasimhan View Post
Did this circuit in my car last month.
Trip route map

Ongoing
BLR-haveri-shiggaon-TADAS-KALGHATGI-haliyal-Ganeshgudi

return route
Ganeshgudi-Anshi forest reserve-Karwar-Honnavar-Sagar-Shimoga-BLR

ROAD less travelled-
-> Ganeshgudi-Anshi-KArwar : road inside the forest reserve(35 kms) is in abysmal condition, surely not seen asphalt for years.its a ENDURANCE track for the motorr vehicles.
Karwar-Kadra section has been repaired now, but the roads in the hills still continue to torment every one.

I have heard of the Dandeli-Yellapur route, but never taken that stretch.
Old 16th January 2011, 08:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

So the Ganeshgudi-Sadashivgarh is its usual self, no improvement! ajithnarasimhan, are there any night drive restrictions on this route?

rockyb, the Sirsi-Shimoga route - is it good? Would you recommend that above the longer-Sirsi-Siddapura-Jog-Sagar-Shimoga route which is invariably good?
Old 16th January 2011, 09:49   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
So the Ganeshgudi-Sadashivgarh is its usual self, no improvement! ajithnarasimhan, are there any night drive restrictions on this route?
There is no restriction as such, but nature and road conditions itself are a deterrent. No lights or many any villages on the roads. Plus road conditions are usually bad! Initial climb till highest point from Kadra is a bit tight, but later the conditions are more winding (like the Udumalpet-Munnar drive).

PS: I dont remember a forest check post on the route. Also I used to struggle getting one/two KSRTC bus per day to Londa/Belgaum. Leave along any one on the road at night!

Last edited by ampere : 16th January 2011 at 09:50.
Old 16th January 2011, 19:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is no restriction as such, but nature and road conditions itself are a deterrent. No lights or many any villages on the roads. Plus road conditions are usually bad! Initial climb till highest point from Kadra is a bit tight, but later the conditions are more winding (like the Udumalpet-Munnar drive).

PS: I dont remember a forest check post on the route. Also I used to struggle getting one/two KSRTC bus per day to Londa/Belgaum. Leave along any one on the road at night!
Are there wildlife - meaning bison or elephant - crossings on the road at night?
Old 16th January 2011, 22:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Are there wildlife - meaning bison or elephant - crossings on the road at night?
Never went on that road in the night! I was a student then ! .
Also never heard folks going on that route at night.

Not sure if its a heavy wild animal territory as there are ghats immediately after Kadra. And again not sure about Dandeli area.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

April 2nd week I am visiting Dandeli from Karwar via Anshi. From local guy he said he would show road which goes thru villages to avoid bad roads there. Lets see how it works out. I will update on the same. I heard there are chances of bisons/elephant but not frequent!!

Because of some poor political interest roads are never completed and reason given for not completing the road is to avoid illegal forest activities. Lets wait and watch for a year to see beautiful road there too!!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 8th March 2011, 18:50   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
April 2nd week I am visiting Dandeli from Karwar via Anshi. From local guy he said he would show road which goes thru villages to avoid bad roads there. Lets see how it works out. I will update on the same. I heard there are chances of bisons/elephant but not frequent!!

Because of some poor political interest roads are never completed and reason given for not completing the road is to avoid illegal forest activities. Lets wait and watch for a year to see beautiful road there too!!

Regards,

Ravi.
Thats the humid season. The road from Karwar to Dandeli was never good!
How to you plan to go to Karwar? There is also a train.

Last edited by ampere : 8th March 2011 at 19:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks