Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 12:15   #1
BHPian

NH13 Road condition? Update: Do not take it from Chitradurga-Hospet

Hi All,

I need an update on NH13, the section between Chitradurga and Bhadrabati, if anyone has travelled through this section in recent times please give me some update,

Thanks,
Old 17th June 2010, 15:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Check with MileCruncher. I think he did that stretch recently while going from Hyd-Hampi-Manipal.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Check with MileCruncher. I think he did that stretch recently while going from Hyd-Hampi-Manipal.
MileCruncher travelled via Harihar and Shimoga.

No one seems to be travelling on NH13 via Chitradurga, Channagiri and Hollalkere to Bhadravathi, I have gone on it long ago, it was a decent road without any surpises. Hopefully, it will be that way.
Old 17th June 2010, 19:03   #4
BHPian

My reason for opting this seat were for 2 reasons -
NH4 is not complete 4 lane, and I get bit frustated seeing those divertions and I am better of driving on a single lane highway. I will be going to Goa via Gokarna.

My second reason was to explore a new road to go to Shimoga other than NH 206, which is a very good road and with very good condition, but 4 lane is any day better than a single lane road.

Bhadrabati to Shimoga is almost 4 lane now, and Shimoga to Gokarna via Jog is in great shape, just travelled a week back. So want to do Bangalore to Chitradurga via NH4 then Chitradurga to Bhadrabati via NH13, then on NH 206. if I don't get any update still I will travel on that road but I may change my travel timing, which initially is a night drive.
Old 17th June 2010, 19:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Bhadrabati to Shimoga is almost 4 lane now, and Shimoga to Gokarna via Jog is
in great shape, just travelled a week back.
Asdon, Do you mean to say parts of NH206 are getting 4 Laned? If that is so, it is very nice indeed!
Old 17th June 2010, 19:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Asdon, Do you mean to say parts of NH206 are getting 4 Laned? If that is so, it is very nice indeed!
Between Tumkur and Bhadrabati I saw many places getting wide, so may be they are working on 4 lane.
Old 17th June 2010, 23:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
My second reason was to explore a new road to go to Shimoga other than NH 206, which is a very good road and with very good condition, but 4 lane is any day better than a single lane road.

Bhadrabati to Shimoga is almost 4 lane now, and Shimoga to Gokarna via Jog is in great shape, just travelled a week back. So want to do Bangalore to Chitradurga via NH4 then Chitradurga to Bhadrabati via NH13, then on NH 206. if I don't get any update still I will travel on that road but I may change my travel timing, which initially is a night drive.
Why would you want to take a risk in exploring new routes at night? Maybe if you can travel there during the day, you can take it. I guess the Bhadravati-Chitradurga stretch should be decent, if not good. I had heard a friend of mine talking about it a few months back. Don't know the latest conditions though.

Btw, it is 'Bhadravati' and not 'Bhadrabati'
Old 18th June 2010, 19:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

There is no plan of 4 laning in NH206. let them complete real 2 lane road in that highway, it is being done since 2003.

Actually NICE company has proposed many 4 lane highways in Karnataka which includes NH206 too!! I hope by 2020 it will be done. Once BJP government gets elected again next time in Karnataka expect such miracle to take place.

I always wanted to explore road between Chitradurga - Shimoga although travelled there in 2003. I heard there is mine lorry traffic so didn't try yet recently.

Disappointment is between Haveri - Chitradurga 4 lane is not completed and based on the work progress it will take another 2 years!! Not good at all and it shows Government is least bothered to complete golden quadrilateral work.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 18th June 2010 at 19:57.
Old 18th June 2010, 21:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
There is no plan of 4 laning in NH206. let them complete real 2 lane road in that highway, it is being done since 2003.

Actually NICE company has proposed many 4 lane highways in Karnataka which includes NH206 too!! I hope by 2020 it will be done. Once BJP government gets elected again next time in Karnataka expect such miracle to take place.

I always wanted to explore road between Chitradurga - Shimoga although travelled there in 2003. I heard there is mine lorry traffic so didn't try yet recently.

Disappointment is between Haveri - Chitradurga 4 lane is not completed and based on the work progress it will take another 2 years!! Not good at all and it shows Government is least bothered to complete golden quadrilateral work.

Regards,

Ravi.
I am going to try the streach between Chitradurga and Shimoga via NH13, if not in night then while comming back, but I have some hope that this road will be good shape as i have seen to Google earth. Lets see how realistic are those images
Old 18th June 2010, 23:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Actually NICE company has proposed many 4 lane highways in Karnataka which includes NH206 too!! I hope by 2020 it will be done.
Looking at their toll rates on the project in Bangalore, wonder how much it would cost for a 200 or 300 kms journey if the project is implemented by NICE !! More than Volvo busfare ???
Old 21st June 2010, 15:30   #11
BHPian

I was traveled in Dec 2009 from Chitradurga - Hospet, it was in horrible condition. I never seen so many lorries plying in any road. Some path-holes are bigger than small well!
Old 21st June 2010, 15:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
I was traveled in Dec 2009 from Chitradurga - Hospet, it was in horrible condition. I never seen so many lorries plying in any road. Some path-holes are bigger than small well!
NH13 between Chitradurga and Hospet is much better now, last fortnight's update, although nothing can be done about the high traffic tough since that is the most crucial truck corridor between South & North/central; India, unless they widen the road.

However, the current discussion is on the next stage of NH13, from Chitradurga to Mangalore via Hollakere, Shimoga, Tirthahalli, Shimoga and Karakala. Somehow, the Chitradurga-Shimoga section has not been so popular a road, it is OK condition for most time though.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH13 between Chitradurga and Hospet is much better now, last fortnight's update, although nothing can be done about the high traffic tough since that is the most crucial truck corridor between South & North/central; India, unless they widen the road.

However, the current discussion is on the next stage of NH13, from Chitradurga to Mangalore via Hollakere, Shimoga, Tirthahalli, Shimoga and Karakala. Somehow, the Chitradurga-Shimoga section has not been so popular a road, it is OK condition for most time though.
Thanks for the update HVK sir! I can tell you about Sringeri - Mangalore route, it is good all the way till Mangalore. But, some part of the road is little narrow, we have to live with it in the ghat section.
Old 12th August 2010, 14:51   #14
BANNED

Do Not Take NH-13(Chitradurga to Hospet).

Guys, Recently I travelled to Hampi from Bangalore and took NH-4, NH-13 route. The NH-13 from Chitragurga to Hospet was absolutely horrible. It was full of pot holes. It's a two lane road and great number of trucks use this road. But the holes were absolutely horrible and we took almost 4.5 hours to cover the 135Kms distance from Chitradurga to Hospet.

An alternate option could be NH-7 via Anantapur.
Old 12th August 2010, 14:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there's an alternate route via Hiriyur. You can also stop by at the Vani Vilas Sagara dam there - which I've heard is very scenic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks