Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 22:36   #16
BANNED

Change in plan - Chennai to Goa now

Guys, Thanks a lot for the responses.

I had a discussion with my friend and we have decided that considering the limited time period that we have(only 4 days) we may not be able to fully utilise our time in Lonavala and probably we may have to just focus on Lonavala alone if we have to travel that far.The limited time period that we haveis a big headache.

In view of this we have decided to explore some other suitable spot and we have picked Goa and it may provide us an opportunity to club certain other spots(like Jog falls and Hampi).

Our current draft route plan is as below.

Forward Journey

Option 1: Chennai - Tumkur - Shimoga - Jog falls - Goa [940 kms]

The highways that we would travel through would be NH4,NH206 and NH17

Option 2: Chennai - Mangalore - Goa [1043 kms]

This is a long route to Goa compared to option but the main reason behind this is to experience the drive along the Konkan coast. Is this worth?

Return Journey

Only one option: Goa - Hampi - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Chennai[979 kms]

Our main aim to is enjoy the road journey, experience Goa as we have never been there before,spend time in Jog falls in the forward journey and spend time in Hampi in the return journey. If time perimitting we would visit Chitradurga fort in the return journey. As usual we have only 4 days for the entire trip.Pls suggest your views.

P.S: I need to modify the thread title. I did a search but I am not sure how it could be edited. Help pls?

Last edited by roadracer : 7th July 2010 at 22:39.
Old 7th July 2010, 22:59   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Forward Journey

Option 2: Chennai - Mangalore - Goa [1043 kms]

This is a long route to Goa compared to option but the main reason behind this is to experience the drive along the Konkan coast. Is this worth?
Firstly, doing Bangalore-Mangalore itself would be a herculean task if your intention is to reach Lonavala since the condition of the roads due to rains (via Mysore/Charmadi/Shiradi - These are 3 options) is not 100% good. This will certainly add to the fatigue factor. Else you can do Bangalore-Udupi taking a considerably better and yet traffic free route.

(Check with this thread on latest conditions)

Secondly, NH17 might not be in good shape due to the recent rains. You may want to refer a few threads on that too. I remember there exists one on NH17 alone. Check with 'vrprabhu' and he might be able to give you inputs on NH17.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th July 2010 at 23:01.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:20   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Firstly, doing Bangalore-Mangalore itself would be a herculean task if your intention is to reach Lonavala since the condition of the roads due to rains (via Mysore/Charmadi/Shiradi - These are 3 options) is not 100% good. This will certainly add to the fatigue factor. Else you can do Bangalore-Udupi taking a considerably better and yet traffic free route.

(Check with this thread on latest conditions)

Secondly, NH17 might not be in good shape due to the recent rains. You may want to refer a few threads on that too. I remember there exists one on NH17 alone. Check with 'vrprabhu' and he might be able to give you inputs on NH17.
Hi paragsachania, I don't want to reach Lonavala but Goa :-)
Old 7th July 2010, 23:29   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi paragsachania, I don't want to reach Lonavala but Goa :-)
Yes and OK and still you've other options without Mangalore/Udupi to do that from Bangalore and less time consuming and better roads. NH48 and NH17 might not be the right choice considering what you've planned.
I would still insist you check with latest road conditions and decide whether you want to reach Goa via NH17 through Mlore/Udupi or through NH206.
Old 8th July 2010, 11:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Check with 'vrprabhu' and he might be able to give you inputs on NH17.
In fact, I am glued to HVK sir's thread on road conditions - as I have to use NH17 from 23rd July till return (return date undecided). Heard there were landslides near Mangalore and Karwar (HVK's thread confirms the Karwar part). Final call depends on the monsoon - because NH17 being a two laned road, cautious driving is the order of the day. Secondly, there are numerous broken patches. Suratkhal to Mangalore = nightmare; From Mangalore onwards upto Calicut, plenty of broken patches.

Coming back to roadracer's query -

1. I would avoid Bangalore - Neelamangala. (Luckily, since I traveled via Mysore, I was able to reach Tumkur via Srirangapatna and Yeddiyur). Tumkur - Shimoga, work appears to be underway. Saw a fork on this road, which comes down from Bellary and leading towards Shimoga (not sure about route - others please chip in).

2. Shimoga - Sagar - Jog : expect poor conditions. Sagar - Jog - Honavar was not in good condition. Heavy rains + Jog = Cautious driving called for.

3. Option 2. Chennai - Mangalore via Salem, Coimbatore, Palghat, Calicut, Thalaserry, Kasargod. Excellent drive upto Palghat. Comibatore - Palghat is two laned, but Walayar is always a treat to drive. Not much of a ghat and rains don't disturb the drive much. Palghat onwards expect a few rough patches. Calicut-Mangalore-Honnavar already stated above. But from Mangalore, think there is one more option for Jog (other than Honnavar or via Udupi-Manipal). Have to dig out my maps. No idea about the conditions from Karwar to Goa.

But driving down the coast is a worthwhile journey. I am sure once you see places Murudeshwar, Marvanthe, Kaup, Malpe, Gokarn, Ankola you'll get the idea of what we mean by (our) coast!!

4. Return -
Goa to Hubli : there are two routes. One is the usual Goa-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli. The other one is via Goa-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli. Get the help of hvkumar and ashishpallod about the latter route and what to see (I haven't found the time to make this trip )

Tip - I meant to write this in every travelogue, but forgot. I usually chalk out the trip using Google, Mapmyindia and note down all the important junctions, towns enroute including proposed halts. BUT - a very big but - spend the Rs. 100/- odd on a large scale map of the state and that is money well spent. The maps gave better directions, including distances; to which value addition can be made by enquiring with the locals. Never missed the route or direction (touchwood!)
Old 8th July 2010, 11:58   #21
BHPian

4. Return -
Goa to Hubli : there are two routes. One is the usual Goa-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli. The other one is via Goa-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli. Get the help of hvkumar and ashishpallod about the latter route and what to see (I haven't found the time to make this trip )

VRP,

Why doesone need to goa to Kolhapur to reach Belgaum-Hubli. If one travels via Londa Hubli & Kolhapur are on opposite directions. Are u referring to Khanapur?
Old 8th July 2010, 12:06   #22
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I'm confused now reading all this. Is it Goa you want to go to Road racer?
What is the exact agenda? Pilgrim places like Udupi? Beaches? hills? Or just plain belting the roads in the rains to get away with friends?

If you have finalised on Goa, I'd suggest drive out late night from Chennai and drive over to Tumkur. Hit the sack on the outskirts of Tumkur and then continue driving through Arsikere to Shimoga. Drive straight across sagara to Jog and then proceed to Honnavara. Take NH17 from there to go over to Goa.
The drive back from Goa can be through Castle rock, Dharwad and NH4 all the way to chennai.
Expect bad stretched between Tumkur and shimoga, Jog and Honnavara, Around Ankola till Karwar, and on the return, from Castle rock to Dharwad.
I hear that it's raining hard in Coastal karnataka (especially Udupi).
Old 8th July 2010, 12:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Why does one need to goa to Kolhapur to reach Belgaum-Hubli. If one travels via Londa Hubli & Kolhapur are on opposite directions. Are u referring to Khanapur?
We can reach from Goa to Belgaum directly - NH4A, I think. This is the route via Khanapur if I am right - as you have also indicated. This was not what I had in mind.

Because, roadracer wanted 'Konkan' coast. So instead of coming back the same way (i.e. Goa-Karwar-Hubli), he can go up to Ratnagiri - so as to as to enjoy / complete the Konkan coast, branch off towards Kolhapur where he can get on the NH4 (golden quad) and reach Hubli to proceed towards Hampi. This is slightly roundabout, but there are no repeats.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:19   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I'm confused now reading all this. Is it Goa you want to go to Road racer?
What is the exact agenda? Pilgrim places like Udupi? Beaches? hills? Or just plain belting the roads in the rains to get away with friends?

If you have finalised on Goa, I'd suggest drive out late night from Chennai and drive over to Tumkur. Hit the sack on the outskirts of Tumkur and then continue driving through Arsikere to Shimoga. Drive straight across sagara to Jog and then proceed to Honnavara. Take NH17 from there to go over to Goa.
The drive back from Goa can be through Castle rock, Dharwad and NH4 all the way to chennai.
Expect bad stretched between Tumkur and shimoga, Jog and Honnavara, Around Ankola till Karwar, and on the return, from Castle rock to Dharwad.
I hear that it's raining hard in Coastal karnataka (especially Udupi).
MS, Even I was a bit confused thinking its Lonavala via Goa but its just Goa now.

And you are right on suggesting NH 206 via Shimoga to reach Goa rather than the painful NH48 + NH17 during the monsoon.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:22   #25
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
We can reach from Goa to Belgaum directly - NH4A, I think. This is the route via Khanapur if I am right - as you have also indicated. This was not what I had in mind.

Because, roadracer wanted 'Konkan' coast. So instead of coming back the same way (i.e. Goa-Karwar-Hubli), he can go up to Ratnagiri - so as to as to enjoy / complete the Konkan coast, branch off towards Kolhapur where he can get on the NH4 (golden quad) and reach Hubli to proceed towards Hampi. This is slightly roundabout, but there are no repeats.
Not worth it in just 4 days VRP. Goa to Ratnagiri to kolhapur to hubli will eat up 1 day. And the ghats from Ratnagiri to Kolhapur is good, but from there, it's just plain GQ. Unless racer wants to spend 1.5 days of his 4 days in returning from kolhapur to chennai, I don't feel anything great in them pushing it this way.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:49   #26
BHPian

Chennai - Goa - enjoy the drive and then relax a bit in the rains is a fine idea but as most are pointing out - taking longer routes (Nh17 via Mangalore) and detours to Hampi(!!) and Jog Falls would make this a pain than pleasant drive/trip as you have only 4 days to do all this.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:54   #27
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Chennai - Goa - enjoy the drive and then relax a bit in the rains is a fine idea but as most are pointing out - taking longer routes (Nh17 via Mangalore) and detours to Hampi(!!) and Jog Falls would make this a pain than pleasant drive/trip as you have only 4 days to do all this.

If the destination is Goa, M'lore and Hampi are detours. Jog falls on one of the actual routes to goa. Just that, this route transforms during the monsoons and is delectable.
Old 8th July 2010, 12:57   #28
BANNED

@vrprabhu,@Rajiv-Bang,@paragsachania,@MX6 - Thanks for the inputs.I will certainly keep this on mind.

@MX6, The plan is to go to Goa but I am not sure as to how the thread title could be updated. It's misleading now.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:01   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Thanks.Mangalore is out of the picture now considering the time period we have. Probably we will spend the additional time in and around Jog.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:02   #30
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@MX6, The plan is to go to Goa but I am not sure as to how the thread title could be updated. It's misleading now.
Hit the red triangle on your post - report button - and type this.
Mods: request you to change the title of log to "Chennai to Goa - Route info needed" as member has changed his plans to go to goa.

They will rename it.

Anyways, I have requested them already on your behalf.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks