Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 15:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Coimbatore to Calicut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Sir,
Which of the above is the better route from ooty to calicut.Road conditions and kms.
cheers
Go via Nilambur,roads are in very good condition

Ooty-Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Manjeri-Kozhikode

Ghat section and real twisties begin as you begin your descent from Nadugani till Vazhikadavu.If you have motion sickness,I'd suggest take something for it.

From Vazhikadavu,traffic is dense and the road narrows down considerably.But overall no problems with the road and the route is pretty scenic as well.I did the Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmana route last week.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:59   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Go via Nilambur,roads are in very good condition

Ooty-Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Manjeri-Kozhikode

Ghat section and real twisties begin as you begin your descent from Nadugani till Vazhikadavu.If you have motion sickness,I'd suggest take something for it.

From Vazhikadavu,traffic is dense and the road narrows down considerably.But overall no problems with the road and the route is pretty scenic as well.I did the Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmana route last week.
What is the distance and how long would it take to reach calicut from ooty in this route?
To reach gudalur which route would you advise from ooty?

tx
Old 16th April 2011, 13:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
What is the distance and how long would it take to reach calicut from ooty in this route?
To reach gudalur which route would you advise from ooty?

tx
From Ooty there is only one road that goes to Gudalur and it is well marked.Go past the Taj hotel and double decker petrol pump,you cant miss it,so do not worry about this part.

Ooty to Calicut should roughly take you about 4-5 hours.
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:49   #64
BHPian

Has anybody been to a place called Devala near Gudalur. I am making a plan to stay in a resort called Amberina there -end of May? Any idea regarding the road condition from Gudalur to devala. Google maps show a deviation near Nadugani (the other branch going to Nilambur)
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:22   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
Has anybody been to a place called Devala near Gudalur. I am making a plan to stay in a resort called Amberina there -end of May? Any idea regarding the road condition from Gudalur to devala. Google maps show a deviation near Nadugani (the other branch going to Nilambur)
This is the road to Meppadi. This would lead you further to Nh212 to either Kalpetta or Bathery. The road is narrow, but have heard it to be good.

But you have brilliant views of the tea estates along this road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
Excellent road.
Gudalur-Nadugani 11 kms-Devala 5 kms.
At Nadugani, the left road goes to Nilambur, straight continues to Cherambadi/Meppadi/Sultan battery - that is the road to take.
This is a TN village just before the KL border.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 14:05   #67
BHPian

route from Coimbatore - Guruvayoor - Calicut

Team,

Long weekend is up and we are scheduled to be in guruvayoor by saturday evening. I have two queries as mentioned in the title -
  • First is on the route from CBE to Guruvayoor which I believe passes through Kudraan (not sure of spelling), and was wondering if the bad roads in this ghat like section has been corrected or if its a better idea to travel via Ottapalam where the last time I traveled the roads are much better ?
  • Second, from Guruvayoor to Calicut I tried google maps and its showing 3 options, option 1 is a direct route (Edapally - Panvel Hwy), option 2 (Thrissur - Kuttipuram Rd & then Edapally - Panvel), Option 3 (Kozhikode-Ferokh-Palakkad Hwy) - Any suggestions on which route is better ?
Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 14:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Re: route from Coimbatore - Guruvayoor - Calicut

1) Cbe/Gvr - the Kudiran route is ok now - meaning that the massive craters have been covered but... owing to the four-laning work many sections get pretty choked with traffic. Depends on the time of day you travel. Evenings esp late evenings can be pretty frustrating. On the other hand if you are taking the Ottapalam/Shornur route, you need not go all the way to Trichur and then turn. You can turn off at Wadakancherry and proceed to Guruvayur via Kunnamkulam.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/IC...9!2d10.6536639

2) From Guruvayur to Calicut, I would suggest you take the option 2 - a bit longer but a better one. Guruvayur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Valancherry-Kottakkal-Calicut.

Last edited by wilful : 27th March 2014 at 14:44.
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 16:58   #69
Team-BHP Support

Use the below thread for all Kerala roads.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-444.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRapid View Post
First is on the route from CBE to Guruvayoor which I believe passes through Kudraan (not sure of spelling), and was wondering if the bad roads in this ghat like section has been corrected or if its a better idea to travel via Ottapalam where the last time I traveled the roads are much better ?
Bangalore-Guruvayoor :

Bangalore-Salem-CBE Bypass-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur

Quote:
Second, from Guruvayoor to Calicut I tried google maps and its showing 3 options, option 1 is a direct route (Edapally - Panvel Hwy), option 2 (Thrissur - Kuttipuram Rd & then Edapally - Panvel), Option 3 (Kozhikode-Ferokh-Palakkad Hwy) - Any suggestions on which route is better ?[/list]Thanks

Guruvayoor-Calicut:

Guruvayur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Kottakal-Calicut
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 17:24   #70
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Salem-CBE Bypass-Pallakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur
From Shoranur, I usually take the route via Kecheri to Guruvayur.
  • All the way fantastic roads
  • Less traffic, thus more relaxed drive
  • Hit KizhakkeNada, Guruvayur first
Coimbatore to Calicut-kecheri.png
M35 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 17:34   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
From Shoranur, I usually take the route via Kecheri to Guruvayur.
Thats the route I too wanted to suggest too. But I am not sure if the OP would be able to follow that route. Hence suggested the safe option of Kunnamkulam.
Old 11th January 2018, 18:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coimbatore to Calicut

Looking for an update on this route suggestions.
I am traveling from Coimbatore to Calicut this weekend.

Any changes in the routes? Road conditions after rains?

Or do the old suggestions in this tread still ok?

I just wanted to check as I am asking in a 4 year old tread. :-)
Old 12th January 2018, 17:28   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Looking for an update on this route suggestions.
I am traveling from Coimbatore to Calicut this weekend.

Any changes in the routes? Road conditions after rains?

Or do the old suggestions in this tread still ok?

I just wanted to check as I am asking in a 4 year old tread. :-)
Road is good. Beyond Palakkad it's two laned. Traffic depends when you are starting. Where in Calicut is your destination? There was a flyover construction at Ramanattukara. Dont know the current status of this
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 18:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Road is good. Beyond Palakkad it's two laned. Traffic depends when you are starting. Where in Calicut is your destination? There was a flyover construction at Ramanattukara. Dont know the current status of this
I am starting by 7AM from CBE. I think it will take 5 hrs or even bit more. I like to take pictures, not sure if the road is scenic somewhere on the way.
I am staying at Taj Gateway - PT Usha road. Will it be easy to reach? Thank you.

BTW - is this the route you meant? Palakkad-Mundur-Cherpulassery-Perinthalmanna-Malappuram (bypass)-Kondotty-Ramanattukara-Calicut
Old 12th January 2018, 18:46   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I am starting by 7AM from CBE. I think it will take 5 hrs or even bit more. I like to take pictures, not sure if the road is scenic somewhere on the way.
I am staying at Taj Gateway - PT Usha road. Will it be easy to reach? Thank you.
- If possible do consider starting bit early from Coimbatore.
- No particularity scenic locations enroute (Unless you want to stop over at Malampuzha / Anakkal).
- For Taj, proceed on Calicut NH byepass till Thondayad junction and take left from there. There is flyover work ongoing there (seperate flyover to what mallumowgli mentioned above). Also, there is a traffic signal here, so its difficult to miss.
- Once you take left you are on 'Mavoor road' continue on this road all the way till you reach a 'T' junction past private & KSRTC bus stand.
- From this junction you will have to take left (No right turn allowed).
- Some 200 meters from here, you will reach a traffic signal. Take right here and get on the railway over bridge.
- Once you get off the bridge, take right.

Direction
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks