Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 16:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chennai - Nagarhole - Madikeri

Folks,

Thank you immensly for providing driving directions on NICE Road from Hosur Road to Mysore Road

I am planning a Madikeri trip coiming Friday (23rd) and i would like to Cover Nagarhole on my onward Journey, eventhough it is a bit round about. I would be just driving through the Forest road, and not much interested in Safari / overnight stay.

Please help me with the following Questions
  1. Please let me know what is the best route to reach Coorg passing through Nagarhole Forest.
  2. I have a Santro and is this road (Nagarhole - Madikeri ) doable in a Santro
  3. Is it worth Driving through Nagarhole (Scenic Forest) or do i just continue to Madikeri via Hunsur - Suntikoppa - Madikeri
  4. Any Tips to be Followed while driving through Nagarhole
  5. Where is the Forest Checkpost to stop and enter vehicle details? Is it clearly Marked ?
Other Details to help suggest:

We Will be staying Overnight in Hosur and can depart from Hosur on Saturday 24th July @ 6:00 am / 7:00 am and will be taking NICE Road to reach Mysore Road. I plan to reach Madikeri sometime around 2:00 / 3:00 pm(If Doable).
Old 20th July 2010, 14:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think it would certainly be a detour for you to reach Madikeri via Nagarhole. Considering that the road inside Nagarhole park is in decent shape the better option for you is go upto Nagarhole and then come back to Hunsur for your onward journey to Madikeri. The road from Kutta to Gonikoppal has not been in the best of shapes at most times.

I don't know how comfortable you are driving through the night, possibly you could reach Nagarhole early in the morning at around 7 AM, take a safari and then continue towards Madikeri via Hunsur.
Old 20th July 2010, 14:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Untill you cross Nagarhole forest good roads, From Katta to Madikeri side not so godo road although I saw repairs going on. Expect 60km bad roads might take 2 hours to cover that but there is no really bad road because of good scenary. I suggest take Nagarhole route you will love that drive. It might be extra 30km but worth it. If you leave Hosur by 7am you can reach Madikeri by 4pm If you drive via Nagarhole. Directly to Madikeri you can easily make it by 2PM with decent speed.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 20th July 2010, 18:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Ravi & Srikanth

Would it be a good option to proceed via Kutta - Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Madikeri or drive down back to Hunsur and take the usual route.

Is the Bad road doable in a Santro or do we need a Scorpio / similar SUV to do it ?
Old 20th July 2010, 18:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Bharat - I did Madikeri trip during April in my WagonR; roads are manageable, read it again manageable with Santro only on certain stretches on the hills of Coorg, otherwise you've good roads all way from Chennai upto Coorg.
Old 20th July 2010, 19:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

aargee - did you do the Nagarhole route or the Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Suntikoppa - Madikeri
Old 20th July 2010, 20:12   #7
Team-BHP Support

Do you plan to stay in Nagarhole? If no, then good to directly go through Hunsur.
As Ravi said it is scenic. So if its for a drive, take the route via Nagarhole.

Last edited by ampere : 20th July 2010 at 20:13.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you are in it just for the drive and want to drive only on good roads, then take this route Mysore-Hunsur-Murkal-Nagarahole-Hunsur-Madikeri

If you are more adventurous try these routes. Both pass through Nagarahole national park.

Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarahole-Kutta-Srimangala-Gonikoppal-Ammathi-Siddapura-Chettalli-Madikeri. Last time I went on this route, the Kutta-Gonikoppal route was pathetic

Mysore-Hunsur-Murkal-Balele-Titimathi-Polibetta-Siddapura-Chettalli-Madikeri. Don't know about the road conditions though
Old 20th July 2010, 22:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
aargee - did you do the Nagarhole route or the Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Suntikoppa - Madikeri
We took the Hunsur - Kushalnagara - Suntikoppa - Madikeri - Hoskeri & when coming back, we took, Hoskeri - Sidhapur - Priyapatna - Mysore.

From Kushalnagar towards Madikeri, we'd a diversion due to road construction; hopefully its completed by now, so you don't have to worry. Even otherwise, you can still manage the road, the only thing that I see is narrow road on the hills, so try to drive during the day light. One thing for sure, I was courteous & everyone else were courteous too. Trust me, if you still happen to take this road, you'll enjoy this scenic uphill drive.

Hope your accomodation has been taken care.
Old 20th July 2010, 23:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Bharat - Not sure if we touch based Suntikoppa when going, but we went via Chetalli, so its, Kushalnagara - Chetalli - Madikeri. I was being told that due to road construction, we were diverted. Here're some of the snaps taken at Kushalnagara, hope this MAY help you little bit.
Chennai - Nagarhole - Madikeri-r1.jpg
Chennai - Nagarhole - Madikeri-r2.jpg
Chennai - Nagarhole - Madikeri-r3.jpg
Chennai - Nagarhole - Madikeri-r4.jpg

Not sure, if you've visited Madikeri before, but I thought to give you a little help. Here's a pic that was taken at Raja's seat at Madikeri town. Hope this might helps you for planning.
Chennai - Nagarhole - Madikeri-p1.jpg
Old 21st July 2010, 17:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ Ampere - No I dont plan to stay at Nagarhole. The trip is to drive through a forest area and hopefully spot some wild animals.

@ addyhemmige - I cannot find the route mentioned by you on google / Nokia Maps GPS. I can find only the Kutta - Gonikoppal - Ponnampet - Virajpet - Madikeri. Please help me. I have marked the approximate route on Google maps below in Red

@ aargee - I went sometime in June last year but we took the Straight route Hunsur - Kushalnagara - Suntikoppa - Madikeri. This time i want to try the Nagarhole one just for fun of driving through a forest. We have booked Club Mahindra there

Chennai - Nagarhole - Madikeri-untitled.jpg
Old 21st July 2010, 22:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
@ addyhemmige - I cannot find the route mentioned by you on google / Nokia Maps GPS. I can find only the Kutta - Gonikoppal - Ponnampet - Virajpet - Madikeri. Please help me. I have marked the approximate route on Google maps below in Red
The first route I have mentioned is shown on the map. The route you have marked is feasible too. After Gonikoppal, you can choose any route according to your convenience.

The second route i.e. Hunsur-Murkal-Balele-Titimati route deviates inside the National Park and takes you through interior Coorg. Again, I'm not sure of the road conditions here, but the last time I went there it was decent enough for a small car to go through. This route is not shown on Google maps.

One suggestion: Please do not rely heavily on Google maps. They are incomplete and do not show even major roads in certain areas.

One more route: Hunsur-Titimati-Gonikoppal. This road goes near the outer edge of Nagarhole National Park and is good till Gonikoppal.
Old 21st July 2010, 22:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

gonikoppa - kutta via kanoor is awesome for the majority part. Good quality surface has been relaid this may. Only a matter of 5-6 kms which is bad.
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dear Maddy,

Excellent !! Could you please let me know how to take this road ? I will be reaching Kutta from Nagarhole and then how do i go ? are there sign boards properly Marked ?
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

From Nagarhole when coming towards Kutta fter you cross all the forest check posts you will be reaching this place called Khemkolli. There you got to take a right to get on the Kanoor-Gonikoppa route.

The route is a small 1 way road for while. There is a Brandy Shop in this town towards your left in the basement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks