Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2014, 13:58   #61

Re: Delhi-Dharamshala-Amritsar-Delhi

Thanks, seniors. It was a really quick response. We hope to enjoy when we plan to be there in April.
Old 18th April 2014, 23:09   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petropolitan View Post
Thanks, seniors. It was a really quick response. We hope to enjoy when we plan to be there in April.
Have you completed the trip? Which route you took, and how was it?

I am planning a drive to Dharamshala next week, and reading the comments has still left me confused!

Should I take Chandigarh - Ropar - Hoshiarpur - Gagret - Kangra route?
Or, Chandigarh - Ropar - Nangal - Una - Amb - Kangra route?

This mystery of road conditions on the second route remains still unsolved. Any suggestions?
Old 27th April 2014, 10:09   #63
BHPian

Quick update to Option 2 above - The Amb - Una - Nangal section is fine now. Road construction works are largely over except for a couple of places. However the road conditions from Kangra to Dehra are bad and from Dehra to Mubarakpur are just OK. These are the two time taking sections. Apart from these, it's now a pretty smooth route.
ess_a is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 15:49   #64
BHPian

re: Delhi - Dharamshala : Route Queries

Hello everyone,

I am leaving for McLeodganj this Thursday. I will be taking the following route:

Delhi - Chandigarh - Ropar - UNA - Kangra - Chamunda - McLeodganj.

Have a few questions-

1. Can someone update me on the road condition from Ropar to Mcleodganj?

2. Any better alternate route?

3. The Hotel where I would be staying does not have parking facility, will have to climb about 100 stairs from the road. Manger of the hotel is informing me that I can park our car at the main McLeodganj taxi/bus/Car parking. Would it be safe to park the car at the main parking?

Thanks.
Old 21st July 2014, 16:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post

3. The Hotel where I would be staying does not have parking facility, will have to climb about 100 stairs from the road. Manger of the hotel is informing me that I can park our car at the main McLeodganj taxi/bus/Car parking. Would it be safe to park the car at the main parking?

Thanks.
Delhi - Ambala - Banur - Kharar - Anandpur Sahib - Una -Kangra- Dharamshala - Mcleodganj is in good shape.

https://goo.gl/maps/gyTet

D'sala-Mcleodgang low GC vehicles would have to take it slow,you should be able to do Delhi-Mcleodganj in approximately 11hrs of driving time plus breaks.

You can park your car at HPTDC Bhagsu' paid parking lot.

Even otherwise Mcleodganj is very safe for cars being parked out in the open.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 07:37   #66
BHPian

Update :

Roads till UNA are good.

From UNA till Dharamsala, mixture of good and bad roads.

From Dharamsala to McLeodganj roads are in bad state. Full of Potholes and mud.Got stuck in mud just 2 kms before McLeodganj. Underbelly hit.Car had to pushed out. Strictly NO for a sedan.

thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 22:02   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
From Dharamsala to McLeodganj roads are in bad state. Full of Potholes and mud.Got stuck in mud just 2 kms before McLeodganj. Underbelly hit.Car had to pushed out. Strictly NO for a sedan.
This is the Cant road which is usually taken by heavy vehicles.

There is another road where heavy vehicles are restricted from entry. The road is Khara Danda Road. It is very narrow and steep.

Summary of the road condition between Delhi and Mcleodganj (New Delhi-Shambu Border-Ropar-Nangal-Anandpur Sahib-UNA-Kangra-Dharamsala-Mcleodganj):

New Delhi - Shambu Border : 3 lane roads with some diversions.
Shambu Border - Ropar : Superb single lane road bypassing Chandigarh.
Ropar - Nangal-Anandpur Sahib-UNA-Amb : Good 2 lanes road. From UNA to Amb single lane road where work is going on. Ascent starts from Mubarikpur.
Amb-Kangra-Dharamsala : Mixture of good and bad roads.
Dharamsala - Mcleodganj : Khara Danda Rd best for cars,cant Rd is in a bad state but does not have steep climbs and is wide as compared to Khara Danda rd.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 22:22   #68
BHPian

Although a lot has been discussed about the Delhi-Dharamsala route in this thread, but im still confused about which route to take. Im planning to leave Delhi (for Dharamsala-Mcleodganj) on 2nd october and since it will be my first time into HP and beyond im completely unaware about the road conditions.

Can someone pls guide me as to which will be the best route to take! By best i mean the route with the best road condition (Doesnt matter if it is longer). Thanks in advance.
Old 14th September 2014, 14:04   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Can someone pls guide me as to which will be the best route to take! By best i mean the route with the best road condition (Doesnt matter if it is longer). Thanks in advance.
I guess we'll meet on the road

I am planning to follow ranjit's advice i.e. "Delhi - Ambala - Banur - Kharar - Anandpur Sahib - Una -Kangra- Dharamshala - Mcleodganj is in good shape.

https://goo.gl/maps/gyTet"

This seems to be most updated advice on T-Bhp, and sinharishi took this route as recently as July (had decent road conditions rto report)
Old 14th September 2014, 17:14   #70
BHPian

Hello Folks,

am planning to do a Mumbai --> Dharamshala/Mcleodganj and return trip to attend a meditation Camp in McLeodganj in second week of October.

Car : Swift VDI Passengers :2

Can Someone help me with Route from Jaipur onwards till Dharamshala

Can Any Locals guide me on Safe Parking for 11 days in Dharamshala or McLoedganj area

Thanks in advance
Old 14th September 2014, 21:15   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
am planning to do a Mumbai --> Dharamshala/Mcleodganj and return trip to attend a meditation Camp in McLeodganj
Mumbai - Jaipur - you will find many references , continue from Jaipur towards Delhi , after around 120 Km of Jaipur - take left from Bawal - Follow a new 4 lane road for Rohtak / Panipat. This way you will bypass Delhi NCR & you will join NH1 at Panipat .Thereafter you can continue as per above post of vital - Panipat -Ambala - Banur - Kharar - Anandpur Sahib - Una -Kangra- Dharamshala - Mcleodganj

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Pa...26.9124336!3e0

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th September 2014 at 21:19.
Old 15th September 2014, 18:07   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
I guess we'll meet on the road

I am planning to follow ranjit's advice i.e. "Delhi - Ambala - Banur - Kharar - Anandpur Sahib - Una -Kangra- Dharamshala - Mcleodganj is in good shape.

https://goo.gl/maps/gyTet"

This seems to be most updated advice on T-Bhp, and sinharishi took this route as recently as July (had decent road conditions rto report)
Yes we can absolutely meet on the way and carry forward till the destination together. I guess I will also be taking the same route as it is suggested by many.
Old 15th September 2014, 18:29   #73
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milind View Post
Hello Folks,

am planning to do a Mumbai --> Dharamshala/Mcleodganj and return trip to attend a meditation Camp in McLeodganj in second week of October.

Car : Swift VDI Passengers :2

Can Someone help me with Route from Jaipur onwards till Dharamshala

Can Any Locals guide me on Safe Parking for 11 days in Dharamshala or McLoedganj area

Thanks in advance
There is safe pay-n-park in Mcleodganj just before you enter the town on the right hand side. Before the bus station/Mclo restaurant.
Old 15th September 2014, 19:40   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milind View Post

Milind,

There is a pay and park for cars just before you enter Mcleodganj next to the Bus stand and Auto Stand(If you take the Cant. Road from Dharamsala).

The cost is 200/- per night. If there is a rush during weekends, it may cost 300/-.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3516623

Do have a look at the map posted in the above link.
Old 15th September 2014, 20:31   #75
BHPian

Guys pls suggest some nice (3 or 4 star) hotels in dharamsala/mcleodganj. Will it be better to stay in mcleodganj or dharamsala?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks