Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 13:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Hill Station around Delhi for 5 days in September

alternatively start at midnight and u should be in munsyari by 6pm.
Old 20th March 2013, 15:04   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
alternatively start at midnight and u should be in munsyari by 6pm.
Night truck traffic on NH-24 is totally insane. There have been lots of instances of dacoity and robbery at night also. 3am or so is fine, but 10pm-2am, I suggest avoid.
Old 20th March 2013, 16:00   #18

Thanks for your valuable inputs tsk1979 and phamilyman.
I plan to leave gurgaon at 3:00am so that i can cross ghaziabad by 4:00. I think it is safe to travel on NH24 after that.
how are the road conditions on moradabad-tanda-bazpur-kaladhungi-nainital route?
or should i consider moradabad-kashipur-bazpur-kaladhungi-nainital route.
I have heard about frequent jams at rampur, so plan to skip that route.
Old 20th March 2013, 16:04   #19
BANNED

Kausani, and also one (I forget the name) off the Almora-Kausani highway.
Old 20th March 2013, 16:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Night truck traffic on NH-24 is totally insane. There have been lots of instances of dacoity and robbery at night also. 3am or so is fine, but 10pm-2am, I suggest avoid.
Completely disagree. I have been on that route twice a year for the last 4-5 years and it is perfectly safe**.

Including pulling over on the side at a "safe" place (often toll nakas where police jeep is parked or big dhabas), and going to sleep, with my wife sleeping as well.

** I last drove through the night that side 10-11 months back.
Personally, if there are enough trucks, the road is safe for me. When traffic thins out is when i get worried.

Last edited by phamilyman : 20th March 2013 at 16:09.
Old 20th March 2013, 16:11   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar_anupam View Post
Thanks for your valuable inputs tsk1979 and phamilyman.
I plan to leave gurgaon at 3:00am so that i can cross ghaziabad by 4:00. I think it is safe to travel on NH24 after that.
how are the road conditions on moradabad-tanda-bazpur-kaladhungi-nainital route?
or should i consider moradabad-kashipur-bazpur-kaladhungi-nainital route.
I have heard about frequent jams at rampur, so plan to skip that route.
The Bazpur route has craters which almost swallowed our safari. Do the Rampur route. You won't be able to average more than 2kmph on bazpur stretch
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 16:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Kausani, and also one (I forget the name) off the Almora-Kausani highway.
Is it Binsar? Amazingly peaceful heaven!
Old 20th March 2013, 16:31   #23

Quote:
Why cram so much in.
Here is a better plan
1. Delhi - Chaukori (11 hours) - Have done it recently, I did it in 10 hours, you may take 11
2. Chaukori - Munsiyari - 6 hours
3. Munsiyari - Sight seeing towards kalamuni top etc,. and some small treks
4. Munsiyari - Sight seeing towards downhill
5. Munsiyari - Binsar (6-7 hours)
6 - Binsar - Delhi (9-10 hours via Almora/Nainital)

Alternatively, day 4 you can do Kalamuni top area and spend night at birthi water fall. Birthi is 1.5 hours from Munsiyari on the way back(towards binsar)
thanks tsk1979, spending a night at birthi is a nice option, kmvn trh is available there.
We are not trying to get too ambitious in drive timing as this will be our first driving trip to Uttranchal, though we have done a couple of 500km+ trips to rajasthan,UP and MP.
moreover, 27th being holi we are a little skeptical about the conditions there.

bazpur route has craters , thanks for the info sir. when did u do it? I will take the rampur-haldwani-nainital route then.
Old 20th March 2013, 16:46   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Anupam, be ready for a heavy traffic jam when crossing the rampur town. It's always there despite the time you cross during the day.

Frustrating it is.....
Old 20th March 2013, 17:03   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar_anupam View Post
thanks tsk1979, spending a night at birthi is a nice option, kmvn trh is available there.
We are not trying to get too ambitious in drive timing as this will be our first driving trip to Uttranchal, though we have done a couple of 500km+ trips to rajasthan,UP and MP.
moreover, 27th being holi we are a little skeptical about the conditions there.

bazpur route has craters , thanks for the info sir. when did u do it? I will take the rampur-haldwani-nainital route then.
Holi means zilch traffic on roads. Start early so that you reach UK before UP wakes up. In UK, you will get barricades where they will loot you of 20-100rs depending upon what you look like. Eg 5 goon looking guys in a sumo will be robbed for 20rs, a nice family in a swift will be robbed of 100rs.
Holi is the perfect excuse for jobless good for nothing types to put rocks on road, and collect illegal money from tourists.
Old 20th March 2013, 20:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Holi means zilch traffic on roads. Start early so that you reach UK before UP wakes up. In UK, you will get barricades where they will loot you of 20-100rs depending upon what you look like. Eg 5 goon looking guys in a sumo will be robbed for 20rs, a nice family in a swift will be robbed of 100rs.
Holi is the perfect excuse for jobless good for nothing types to put rocks on road, and collect illegal money from tourists.
Is Holi in UP that bad ? I have read about accidents etc because of people throwing colors/water balloons etc on vehicles on the highway.

I'm planning a trip to Nainital and will be with my wife and our 1 year old. If I were alone, I'd have gone ahead but with the kid and wife, I don't really want to take chances. If it's not safe, I'd rather prefer himachal.
Old 20th March 2013, 22:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Is Holi in UP that bad ? I have read about accidents etc because of people throwing colors/water balloons etc on vehicles on the highway.

I'm planning a trip to Nainital and will be with my wife and our 1 year old. If I were alone, I'd have gone ahead but with the kid and wife, I don't really want to take chances. If it's not safe, I'd rather prefer himachal.
They will stop you and demand money. As long as you pay its okay. But thats UK. Start by 5am so that you are not in UP at 9am. That is important.
Holi crowds get rowdy in UP.
Old 21st March 2013, 06:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
They will stop you and demand money. As long as you pay its okay. But thats UK. Start by 5am so that you are not in UP at 9am. That is important.
Holi crowds get rowdy in UP.
Well, early morning start is not a problem, but even if I manage to avoid UP while going, I can't avoid it coming back.

I've now changed my plan and am instead travelling to Chail. Holi with my parents at Chandigarh is a bonus.
Old 21st March 2013, 11:08   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, early morning start is not a problem, but even if I manage to avoid UP while going, I can't avoid it coming back.

I've now changed my plan and am instead travelling to Chail. Holi with my parents at Chandigarh is a bonus.
I thought you were going on the day of Holi. It seems you are coming back on the day of holi. In that case come back to UP after 4pm
But then, Chail is a better bet. Much safer
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:

If you are with Kid and wife than avoid travelling in UP for complete week of Holi. You never know in which lane and which highway drunken goons will stop you and ask for money. It will be tough to pass them with lady and kid on-board.Its better to be safe and avoid it. In any case Chail is good option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks