Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 00:24   #1
BHPian

Gurgaon-Pilani route queries

Folks,

I would be travelling to Pilani from Gurgaon on 19th August on an official assignment. Intend to spend the night there so that I am in time for the actual work slated from 20th morning till late afternoon followed by journey back home the same evening.

This gives me an opportunity to drive the distance myself as against hiring a cab for the journey. Somehow, I can not think myself at the mercy of someone else on highways/city roads alike

Now this also means I do some research on the route. After looking at the options I have on mapmyindia, I am kind of confused since most of the journey is on state highways or unmarked roads and given the amount of rains this region has received in last couple of weeks, the road condition would be highly iffy - not that it really matters, just that it would eat into the driving time.

Inputs from someone on the forum who frequents this stretch or has done it in recent past would be immensely valuable in ensuring that I make a correct choice of route to Pilani.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AlokSriva : 5th August 2010 at 00:27.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:45   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Oh man. It's been ages since I went to Pilani. The usual route the bus used to take us was through Rohtak - Bhiwani - Loharu.
It used to be 7 hours atleast in those Haryana state buses that used to leave from the ISBT.
I remember driving an AMBY (yeah you read it right) in 2000 from Pilani to delhi in the same route.
It was all 2 lane then.
Last I read somewhere that a part of the road is 4 lane and is in excellent condition.

I'd also taken a bus once through narnaul to delhi from pilani. So I might suggest you to check how that route is. GG - Rewari - Narnaul - Chirawa - Pilani.

But the best route should be NH8 from GG till Behror and then taking local route through narnaul - chirawa to pilani. This route gives you exactly 1/2 the distance in NH8 and other half through unknown condition roads.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Options can be-
Gurgaon-Jhajjar-Bhiwani-Loharu-Pilani.
Gurgaon-Rewari-Narnaul-Mehandragarh-Loharu-Pilani.

I Suggest option 1.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Options can be-

I Suggest option 1.
How good are these roads after the rains. Heavy rains were reported in these areas.

And why via Jhajjiar and not via Rohtak? Isn't NH 10 a better road? BTW, is the road widening on NH10 progressing well?
Old 5th August 2010, 11:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How good are these roads after the rains. Heavy rains were reported in these areas.

And why via Jhajjiar and not via Rohtak? Isn't NH 10 a better road? BTW, is the road widening on NH10 progressing well?
First of all if he picks up the Rohtak route he will have to cross either whole Delhi to reach Bahadurgarh, Secondly road widening work is going on Bahadurgarh-Rohtak making it a very frustrating drive. Then Jhajjar Bhiwani route most probably is shorter.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:04   #6
BHPian

Thanks MX6, Anshuman & HVK for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Oh man. It's been ages since I went to Pilani. The usual route the bus used to take us was through Rohtak - Bhiwani - Loharu.
Last I read somewhere that a part of the road is 4 lane and is in excellent condition.

I'd also taken a bus once through narnaul to delhi from pilani. So I might suggest you to check how that route is. GG - Rewari - Narnaul - Chirawa - Pilani.

But the best route should be NH8 from GG till Behror and then taking local route through narnaul - chirawa to pilani. This route gives you exactly 1/2 the distance in NH8 and other half through unknown condition roads.
Because of rains and road widening work in progress on NH8, driving would anyway be a nightmare - not to mention the interior road which needs to be taken from Behror till Pilani.
Also, this would require a huge detour towards south followed by moving north-west in order to reach Pilani. Not that I mind taking a slightly longer route, provided the road conditions are known

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

HVK sir, toll taken by heavy rains on roads was one of my concerns as well.

Having said that, origin of my journey is very close to Rajeev Chowk (almost southern-most tip of Gurgaon), therefore, following NH10 (also suggested by MX6) would be a pretty long north-west followed by a South-west curve to reach Pilani. This would make the distance significantly long.

Quote:
Options can be-

I Suggest option 1.
Seems 1 is the most feasible option. Though my gut feel says I avoid Bhiwani and reach Loharu directly from Jhajjhar - might sound a bit adventerous - what the heck - with a 4x4, albeit a softroader, I am sure there wouldn't be too many obstacles which couldn't be overcome

What say?

EDIT -
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
First of all if he picks up the Rohtak route he will have to cross either whole Delhi to reach Bahadurgarh, Secondly road widening work is going on Bahadurgarh-Rohtak making it a very frustrating drive. Then Jhajjar Bhiwani route most probably is shorter.
That's right Anshuman, crossing Delhi is one thing along with this being a much longer route dissuades me. Add to that the road widening you mentioned - I guess, its better to give it a miss.

Last edited by AlokSriva : 5th August 2010 at 11:07.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The Shortest and best suggested route is Gurgaon-Jhajjar-Charkhi Dadri-Loharu Pilani.

For Jhajjar take Basai-Sultanpur-Farrukhnagar route, take right from Hero Honda chowk. Do not enter Jhajjar take the bypass.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
^^ The Shortest and best suggested route is Gurgaon-Jhajjar-Charkhi Dadri-Loharu Pilani.

For Jhajjar take Basai-Sultanpur-Farrukhnagar route, take right from Hero Honda chowk. Do not enter Jhajjar take the bypass.
This seems to be the most straightforward route Anshuman - thanks!

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a right turn allowed at Hero-Honda Chowk if coming from Rajiv Chowk? Though I can also hit NH8 at Rajeev Chowk from the hero-honda factory (the short cut from Sohna road to NH8) - but I don't think I can cross NH8 straight. What's the route one needs to take?
Old 5th August 2010, 12:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
This seems to be the most straightforward route Anshuman - thanks!

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a right turn allowed at Hero-Honda Chowk if coming from Rajiv Chowk? Though I can also hit NH8 at Rajeev Chowk from the hero-honda factory (the short cut from Sohna road to NH8) - but I don't think I can cross NH8 straight. What's the route one needs to take?
Either take a U turn from the toll or take the wrong side slip road from Rajiv chowk(it's allowed).
Old 5th August 2010, 16:51   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

And now you say 4x4. Go by jhajjar, charki dadri, loharu and pilani. Stop by some village to enjoy wonderful tomatoes soaked in water, along with garam masala.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Either take a U turn from the toll or take the wrong side slip road from Rajiv chowk(it's allowed).
I see.. no wonder there used to be so many vehicles coming wrong side when I took Sohna Road exit when returning from Jaipur!

Quote:
And now you say 4x4. Go by jhajjar, charki dadri, loharu and pilani. Stop by some village to enjoy wonderful tomatoes soaked in water, along with garam masala.
LOL! Sure, I can't afford not to pay heed to the suggestions of a person who used to haunt Pilani once upon a time
Old 5th August 2010, 21:08   #12
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Oh Man. There are very few people who know I used to Haunt Pilani. Are you my batch mate or something?
I was called the Bhoot of Budh!
Old 6th August 2010, 10:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Oh Man. There are very few people who know I used to Haunt Pilani. Are you my batch mate or something?
No

Its just that your posts made me infer that you probably studied at BITS (where incidentally I too am going). And students of engineering colleges, more often than not on account of a better choice, end up haunting the surrounding areas
Old 6th August 2010, 11:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
OT! Pilani and Budh.. we share couple of common things here I spent 97 and 98 at Budh (graduated in 2001)
Old 6th August 2010, 16:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I just came to Hisar from Gurgaon using the Jhajjar route. The roads are very good with the only need to slow down at just villages, which do not have speed breakers unlike NH10.

Now latest and best suggestion by me:

Take Gurgaon-Sutanpur-Farrukhnagar-Jhajjar route, Just before entering Jhajjar ask for Jhajjar bypass and proceed to Beri road, Cross Beri and take left from major road intersection after Beri for Charkhi dadri, Take Charkhi dadri-Loharu-Pilani.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks