Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 17:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
1] Friends suggested atleast 2 complete days at Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani to cover most of the places. If 2 complete days is more than required, I can actually leave Mahabaleshwar on afternoon of Day 5 and halt at Pune visiting Sinhagad Fort on the way.

2]Pratapgad is on the list of places to visit at Mahabaleshwar. I understand Pratapgad is on the way to Mahabaleshwar from Chiplun. If it is then, will visit Pratapgad on Day 3 before reaching Mahabaleshwar.

3] The main reason I chose to stay at Rathnagiri on Day 2 is as far as I know only MTDC offers reasonable accomodation at Ganapatipule, Rathnagiri being a big town only 25kms from Ganapatipule offers more flexible accomodation options and there a few places in Rathnagiri worth visiting too.
1]if sky is clear, your friend's suggestion is valid about mahaby for 2 days but...as your trip is in the first week of sept, you will face lot of fog in mahaby.
Last week, i was in mahaby, stayed at mtdc, done nothing, khaya-piya[no wild guesses]-shopping kiya and back to home.
You will see nothing in mahaby due to fog.
I suggest, visit mahabaleshwar temple, market and venna lake, mapro point and no other points due to fog.

2]pratapgad is on the way to mahaby from poladpur.
If you ref chiplun, i get confused as there are two routes to mahaby from chiplun.
one via-patan-satara-medha and other via poladpur.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 11th August 2010 at 17:32.
Old 11th August 2010, 18:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@HVK Sir - I always look forward for your suggestions on routes and road conditions. The last place I will be visiting in Maharashtra in this raod trip is Shirdi and then head back to Bangalore. I was actually looking at not taking the NH4 back to Bangalore and also I have 2 days to drive back to Bangalore. Looking at this I selected Bijapur as there are few good places at Bijapur worth visiting. But looking at your suggestions about the road conditions, I will have to look at other otpions. Any suggestions from the great one?
Any other route I can take to head back to Bangalore from Shirdi apart from NH4? If nothing else comes up will hit the NH4 back to Bangalore from Shirdi.
I think NH4 is the best, considering the poor condition of NH13 via Solapur & Bijapur.
Old 11th August 2010, 18:58   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

If you have time in your hand then why not try this?

Bangalore - pune - shirdi
Shirdi - Nasik - Triambak - Nasik
Nasik - Pune - Mahabaleshwar
Mahabaleshwar - Kolhapur
Kolhapur - Amba ghat - Ganapatipule
Ganapatipule - NH17 to Karwar - honnavara - jog - sagara - shimoga - Bangalore.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:45   #19
BHPian

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have planned to stick to NH4 for my to and fro journey. Dont want to take a chance travelling on NH13 which seems to be in a very bad condition. I have made some changes to my original plan.

Day 1: Bangalore – Tumkur – Chitradurga –Ranebennur – Hubli – Belgaum – Kolhapur

Day 2: Kolhapur – Panhala – Malkapur – Ratnagiri – Ganapatipule – Ratnagiri

Day 3: Ratnagiri – Chiplun – Poladpur - Pratapgad - Mahabaleshwar

Day 4: Mahabaleshwar & Panchgani

Day 5: Mahabaleshwar – Panchgani – Pune – Nasik

Day 6: Nasik – Trimbakeshwar – Nasik – Shirdi

Day 7: Shirdi - Ellora - Aurangabad

Day 8: Aurangabad - Ahmednagar – Pune – Satara – Karad – Kolhapur

Day 9: Kolhapur – Belgaum – Hubli – Ranebennur - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore
Old 26th August 2010, 17:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Day 1: Bangalore – Tumkur – Chitradurga –Ranebennur – Hubli – Belgaum – Kolhapur

Day 2: Kolhapur – Panhala – Malkapur – Ratnagiri – Ganapatipule – Ratnagiri

Day 3: Ratnagiri – Chiplun – Poladpur - Pratapgad - Mahabaleshwar

Day 4: Mahabaleshwar & Panchgani

Day 5: Mahabaleshwar – Panchgani – Pune – Nasik

Day 6: Nasik – Trimbakeshwar – Nasik – Shirdi

Day 7: Shirdi - Ellora - Aurangabad

Day 8: Aurangabad - Ahmednagar – Pune – Satara – Karad – Kolhapur

Day 9: Kolhapur – Belgaum – Hubli – Ranebennur - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore
Good itinerary. We did the same circuit in Dec 2008 and covered Mumbai also. It took us 10 days and 3150 kms.

can i suggest one more stop ? Day 8 - deviate from Ahmednagar, drive to Pandharpur via Karmala and temburni. On return from Pandharpur, you could join Kolhapur directly ( via miraj - though a desolate road ) or join at Satara - Ashish babu can help more on road conditions.

This extended circuit makes you visit one more famous temple and added bonus - avoid pune.

Sorry, if you have already finalised the plan.

Last edited by roamingrao : 26th August 2010 at 17:20.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:24   #21
BHPian

Thoughts on a 9-day West Maharashtra Trip

Four of us (two drivers) - all travel enthusiasts who love the journey more than the destination as times are planning a 9 day road trip predominantly in west Maharashtra in April. Not the best season for this I know, but this is the only time available for all, hence going ahead with it.

We will be taking a 2010 i10 Kappa engine. (Will check exact kms driven on it).

Here is the route we have planned so far:

Day 1: Mumbai - Purandar Fort - Dhom Dam - Mahabaleshwar
Like all our past trips, we will be starting around 3 am to avoid the city traffic, taking the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Planning to pack a breakfast to be had at Purandar Fort. Spend some time there, then head to Dhom Dam and then to Mahabaleshwar where we plan to stay the night.
Approx Drive Time: 8 hours

Day 2: Mahabaleshwar - Chiplun
Need ideas about places to see in and around Mahabaleshwar. Want this to be a relaxed day. We plan to reach Chiplun by sun-down or before it and spend the night there.
Approx Drive Time: 2.5 hours not counting the drive around Mahabaleshwar. Need ideas here.

Day 3: Chiplun - Chandoli National Park - Amba - Kolhapur
Leave early again and try to reach Chandoli National Park early in the morning. Spend some time there and head to Amba and then to Kolhapur. Need ideas for places to visit in and around Kolhapur.
Approx Drive Time: 7 hours not counting driving in and around Kolhapur.

Day 4: Kolhapur - Gaganbawda - Amboli - Ponda (Goa)
We aim to reach Ponda by or before sun-down and will stay in Ponda.
Approx Drive Time: 7.5 hours

Day 5: Open day in Goa
Visiting some relatives and family temples during the day...and of course beach time.
Approx Drive Time: As necessary, not too much though

Day 6: Ponda - Tambdi Surla Temple - Shiroda (Maharashtra) - Vengurla - Tarkali Beach - Malvan
The coastal leg of the journey would start this day. We hope to be at the lighthouse at Tarkali by sunset and stay at Malvan.
Approx Drive Time: 6.5 hours

Day 7: Sundhudurg Fort -- Kunkeshwar - Devgad Beach - Purangad - Ratnagiri - Ganpati Pule
We are considering a boat ride to the Sundhudurg Fort, hitting the road 10ish, lunch at Devgad and staying at Ganpati Pule.
Approx Drive Time: 4.5 hours

Day 8: Ganpati Pule - Harihareshwar
This is likely to be the longest driving stretch with no destinations planned yet along the way. Ideas welcome to break the journey. Planning to stay at Harihareshwar.
Approx Drive Time: 6.5 hours

Day 9: Beach hopping home. Aim to reach late at night to avoid city traffic
Harihareshwar to Kuda Caves (breakfast?) then to Murud (lunch), Alibaug via Kashid (without much time spent there). Hoping to reach Navi Mumbai 8ish and then back home at Kandivali after dinner in Navi Mumbai.
Approx Drive Time: 7 hours

Note: Drive times are courtesy Google Maps which probably doesn't take road conditions, terrain, etc., into account, so are likely to be inaccurate. This isn't our first road trip, but the first in Maharashtra and covers places we haven't been to before. So some questions...
1. Is this a realistic route. We know it will be hot and dry given the summer, so we know this isn't the best season. But that said, is this realistic?
2. Any bad roads to be aware of? Generally, how are the road conditions in this belt?
3. Any specific precautions to take? We will be breaking off the highway and going into the hinterland at times.
4. Any recommendations on the destinations themselves are also welcome. Any must cover (on this stretch), anything to drop?

Of course, we will be taking the car for a full medical check-up before the trip

Look forward to thoughts and ideas.

Tushar

Last edited by TusharPrabhu : 12th March 2013 at 10:27.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thoughts on a 9-day West Maharashtra Trip

You have two major roads which will cover almost everything for you:
1. Panvel Kochi National highway. Road condition is usually good, but the twisting roads make it easy for accidents (you will need to dive into the state highways to reach the coast, but again barring for some areas on konkan where roads were under construction, the rest is worthy enough to be called highways - even more twisty than the national highway)
2. Pune Bangalore national highway. Seriously piece of awesomeness. I find it better than even the Bombay Pune Expressway

Roads in Maharashtra are better than most of the other states of India. So you don't really need to worry about that aspect.

Last edited by alpha1 : 12th March 2013 at 10:44.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 11:56   #23
BHPian

Re: Thoughts on a 9-day West Maharashtra Trip

I live in Bangalore with my sister and the two others on the trip with us live in Mumbai. So Mumbai-Bangalore will hopefully be the next trip
Old 12th March 2013, 17:43   #24
BHPian

Re: Maharashtra Road Trip Query

@Tushar Prabhu

Though i might be wrong but just a thought that that if you want to go to Amboli from Kolhapur (Day 4 of your trip) the best route would be -

Kolhapur - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Amboli and then onwards to Ponda.

This stretch is scenic, road condition is excellent throughout.

Unless of course you wish to travel through Gaganbawda itself.
bhavtol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 06:22   #25
BHPian

@Bhavtol
The reason to pick the Gaganbawda route was the pictures we saw of the place
None of us has been on either route, so thanks for the input.
Old 13th March 2013, 08:05   #26
Team-BHP Support

Few Notes :

- Mahabaleshwar-Chiplun-Kolhapur seems like a snaking route. Any reasons?
- You can cover Chandoli via Karad too. So you should come to Satara from Mahabaleshwar divert at Karad to visit Chandoli. (Need to confirm this with others here)
- At/Around Kolhapur there are temples. Or at Satara you can also fork to visit Kaas. No flowers but good landscapes.
- Gaganbawda is quite a lonely section. Do take care. Another option is go via Radhanagari and join at Kankavali.
- What is the Amboli part of the route plan? It seems like out of place.

Last edited by ampere : 13th March 2013 at 08:06.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 08:39   #27
BHPian

@Ampere

- We didn't want stay a second night in Mahabaleshwar. Thought after driving around, we could either go to Satara or Chiplun. We chose the west side because from the pictures we saw of the places, it looked like that was the hilly (and so relatively cooler and picturesque) route. Correct me if I am wrong here.
- Thanks for the input on Gaganbawda. We may do the "Kolhapur - Sankeshwar - Gadhinglaj - Amboli and then onwards to Ponda." route that bhavtol suggested.
- Amboli was a "via". Could be the place where we take a lunch halt. Nothing specific about Amboli. It's not a destination per se.
Old 17th June 2013, 13:52   #28
BHPian

Maharashtra - Hills and Coast - Advice Needed

Hi all

We are planning for a road trip across the hills and down the coast of Maharashtra in August in our Safari DICOR, and the route plan we have selected are listed below :

Bangalore - Kolhapur - Panchgani / Mahabaleshwar - Lonavla - Murud - Raigad - Ganapatipule - Kolhapur - Bangalore.

We would need your advice and suggestions on the following matters :

1. This is plan optimal for a week ? Or can we add on more places ?
2. What are the suggested routes and scenic drives ?
3. Are there any risks to be prepared for ?
4. What the recommended eateries en route ?
5. Is there a coastal strech where we can drive by the sea ?

Thanks.
Old 17th June 2013, 14:48   #29
BHPian

Re: Maharashtra - Hills and Coast - Advice Needed

One of the most exciting drive I had was on Arrey Warrey Road from Ganapatipule to Ratnagiri. The road sticks to the coastline for 75-80% of the total distance and provides some magnificent views and wild life too (if you get lucky )

Also, I enjoyed driving down from Dapoli to Ganapatipule via two jettys at Dabhol and Jaigad. Add rain to the drive and it is superb experience. The roads are not perfectly smooth but easily manageable.

On the way you can also visit Hedavi (beach and Dashabhuj Ganapati temple, recommended) and Velneshwar.
Old 17th June 2013, 18:06   #30
BHPian

@vrprabhu - Thank you for the suggestion. I have planned to bypass Pune by taking the Mumbai - Pune Bypass, join NH4 and at Talegaon junction turn right and towards Chakan and finally join Pune - Nasik road.

Going to Talegoan phata and joing at Chakan towards Nasik may add to your Kms and time as well. Take the aundh route as vrprabhu mentioned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks