Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:38   #46
BHPian

Hi v&v, Nice to know about your trip. You'll sure enjoy that really long drive. Having gone through this thread, I don't have much to add in terms of route advise. Experienced people have discussed all the options in good details. Wish you a happy journey. Will be waiting for your experiences on return.
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Small update

Did a mumbai-palakkad trip.I broke up the trip into three days(considering my parents and my 12 yr old car)

Day1-Mumbai Hubli
Day2-Hubli-salem
Day3-Salem-coimbatore(stop over at grannys house)-palakkad

Roads in maharashtra are not upto the mark,but in karnataka its butter smooth.From hubli to devangere,as the work is still in progress,at some parts its 2 lane.Rest from davanagere to salem its smooth sailing.Another thing that i didn't like in nh-4 is there arent much restaurants on the way.If you plan to enter tamilnadu(coimbatore),the entire avinashi stretch is a bit dangerous to drive.Nearly had head on collision twice
Things to watch out for-
1-Stray dogs
2-villagers coming from the wrong side
3-maintenance workers
4-trucks coming from the wrongside

Ps-be prepared to pay tolls.The amount in my case went upto 950rs.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 22nd September 2010 at 21:18.
Old 24th September 2010, 08:34   #48
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Query regarding Petrol filling

Some query regarding fuel filling stations. My baleno has a range of 800 to 900 kms on tank full. Assuming a average filling every 500kms.
Referring log i got following infos. Comments required.

1. First Filling - kishangarh - Bhilwara - Reliance Pump

2. Second filling - Shamlaji - Ahmedabad. - Reliance Pump

3. Third Filling - BPCL COCO - Khedshivapur enroute to Pune

4. Forth filling - Konduskar's BPCL Pump - OPINION REQUIRED

5. Fifth filling - info Required - Near Chitraguda

6. sixth filling - Dindigul - Info Required

Mumbai bypass. I am refering

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...pass-guide.doc

Any latest update on road condition or follow this as it is ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
The Palakkad - Trichur section is not that bad. Its better than NH 47 towards Kollam from Cherthala. Done this 2 weeks back.
Thank. I will be going via kumili route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw View Post
I stay near kumily and had a trip to trivandrum via adoor yesterday. Mundakayam-erumely-ranni-pathanamthitta road is in bad condition. I recommend you to take mundakayam-kanjirappally-ponkunnam-kangazha-karukachal-changanacherry-tiruvalla-chenganoor-adoor route. This road is in good condition.Watch out for huge potholes between Kuttikanam and peruvanthanam (Mundakayam).
Thanks for the update. I will be taking kanjirappally route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hi v&v, Nice to know about your trip. You'll sure enjoy that really long drive. having gone through this thread, I don't much to add in terms of route advise. Experienced people have discussed all the options in good details. Wish you a happy journey. Will be waiting for your experiences on return.
Thanks LDL. Drive is only oneway. I will be leaving by Baleno in Kerala. Will try to log max highway info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Did a mumbai-palakkad trip.I broke up the trip into three days(considering my parents and my 12 yr old car)
Ps-be prepared to pay tolls.The amount in my case went upto 950rs.
Thanks rakesh for the update and note. I am assuming the toll cost to be around 2500 for the trip.

Last edited by v&v : 24th September 2010 at 08:36.
Old 24th September 2010, 09:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Some query regarding fuel filling stations. My baleno has a range of 800 to 900 kms on tank full. Assuming a average filling every 500kms.
Referring log i got following infos. Comments required.

1. First Filling - kishangarh - Bhilwara - Reliance Pump
Jaipur Bypass has an excellent HPCL pump which also takes credit cards. There are several good pumps on the Kishnagarh-Bhilwara route. If you have the range, push it till before Chittorgarh where BPCL has a petrol pump attached to a BPCL Ghar with good washrooms and a restaurant.

Quote:
2. Second filling - Shamlaji - Ahmedabad. - Reliance Pump
Fuel is cheaper in Rajasthan, better to take it there instead of GJ. In any case, there are hardly any good pumps after crossing into RJ till you reach Himmatnagar. If you have the range, refuel at Reliance petrol pump on the Ahmedabad-Baroda expressway (Baroda end).

Quote:
3. Third Filling - BPCL COCO - Khedshivapur enroute to Pune
You will get very cheap and good fuel at the HPCL pump in Khalapur, just after the first toll gate (and before the ghat section to Khandala begins) on the Bombay-Pune expressway. Has credit cards too. And a food court attached. Alternatively, you can refuel at many petrol pumps after crossing the Katraj Tunnel, including a Shell pump.

Quote:
4. Forth filling - Konduskar's BPCL Pump - OPINION REQUIRED
Excellent, my favourite. Fuel cheaper in MH than KA. This is the one on the Kolhapur bypass 7 kms after crossing the turn off for Kolhapur city.

Quote:
5. Fifth filling - info Required - Near Chitraguda
HPCL pump in Chitradurga bypass.

Quote:
6. sixth filling - Dindigul - Info Required
5 star pump after crossing Hosur town. Or BPCL + A2B at Shoolagiri between Hosur and Krishnagiri. I have not seen any good pumps on NH7 after Salem towards Dindigul.

Quote:
Mumbai bypass. I am refering

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...pass-guide.doc

Any latest update on road condition or follow this as it is ?
Excellent, no problems. BTW, that guide was prepared by me!!!
Old 24th September 2010, 09:56   #50
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Excellent, no problems. BTW, that guide was prepared by me!!!
HVK Thank you very much. Ya i knew it . I take many information from your logs and is very helpful.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:28   #51
v&v
Senior - BHPian

My travel plan is all final. Only concern is the Ayodhya Verdict. Will it effect the NH8 post Allahabad till BLR. How safe is it to travel after the 30th.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th September 2010, 17:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My travel plan is all final. Only concern is the Ayodhya Verdict. Will it effect the NH8 post Allahabad till BLR. How safe is it to travel after the 30th.

Thanks in advance.
No one can predict the outcome of the Ayodhya verdict. Problem areas could be Baroda and Valsad in Gujarat, but if there is any outbreak in violence, there can be eruption of violence anywhere..
Old 28th September 2010, 17:47   #53
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No one can predict the outcome of the Ayodhya verdict. Problem areas could be Baroda and Valsad in Gujarat, but if there is any outbreak in violence, there can be eruption of violence anywhere..
Exactly my concern. will wait for a day or two after verdict then start. Even Blr and Kerala can have bandh.
Old 28th September 2010, 18:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my concern. will wait for a day or two after verdict then start. Even Blr and Kerala can have bandh.
Best to wait till the verdict and take a call on the ride.

I do Ahmedabad -Ghaziabad on and off, 5 AM Ahmedabad - 5 PM Gurgaon, after that it takes 2 hours to reach Ghaziabad!!!! So you can realistically target Baroda, after entering the tunnel (Baroda Expressway) you don't have to worry even after dark as it's well marked, lots of reflectors and a 1 hr ride to Baroda, so prospect hotels at Baroda. In case you loose time, Anjali is the best bet with family, exact co-ordinates as given by HVK/ Khoj.

The map I made and sent to Kjoj would be useful to get out of Ahmedabad, follow it exactly. Buzz me (09377203000) when you pass the SP Ring road, if I am free, we can do a chai break at Renaisan Chowk.

A friend came from Mumbay 3 days back, road from Goadbandar till Manor is full of pot holes, plan for 30-45 mts more for this section. If you start early from A'bad / Baroda, this bad section would be in day light, so you can watch out for pot holes OK, at night this section would break rims.

When I drive to Kerala from here, my first break would be at Hotel Mahendra / Satara, second at Bangalore / Mangalore and third at Palakkad, with a hard ride, this is possible even with a little bit of bad roads and 1-2 hours of plan overruns.

Anything specific you want to know around Ahmedabad, let me know.

Kerala does not need a verdict for a bandh, a Hartal can happen at the drop of a hat

Wishing you God speed........

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 28th September 2010 at 18:53.
Old 28th September 2010, 22:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

Just for info sakes,Bangalore has declared a holiday on the 30th & 1st of Oct.
Old 28th September 2010, 23:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Dindigul - Kumili - Vandiperyar - Kanjaripalli - Kottayam

How safe is NH220 - Kumili - Kottayam route. I would prefer route B as i have done upto palakkad on NH47 couple of times.
I can help you with this route as I did a Bangalore-Pala trip last month.
Here it goes:

.Bangalore-Salem: Excellent 2 lane road. Moderate traffic. (2 Hours)

.Salem-Dindigul:Excellent 2 lane road. Moderate or no traffic. (2.5 Hours)

.Dindigul-Lower Camp (After Gudalur): Excellent 1 lane road. Moderate traffic (4 Hours)

.Lower Camp-Kanjirapally: Ghat section, many bad stretches. Moderate traffic (2.5 Hours)
Old 29th September 2010, 09:07   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Not just Bangalore, it appears that schools across KA have closed on 1st October - even schools in Manaipal & Mangalore are closed that day, and scheduled exams have been cancelled / postponed.
Old 29th September 2010, 21:26   #58
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Best to wait till the verdict and take a call on the ride.

I do Ahmedabad -Ghaziabad on and off, 5 AM Ahmedabad - 5 PM Gurgaon, after that it takes 2 hours to reach Ghaziabad!!!! So you can realistically target Baroda, after entering the tunnel (Baroda Expressway) you don't have to worry even after dark as it's well marked, lots of reflectors and a 1 hr ride to Baroda, so prospect hotels at Baroda. In case you loose time, Anjali is the best bet with family, exact co-ordinates as given by HVK/ Khoj.

The map I made and sent to Kjoj would be useful to get out of Ahmedabad, follow it exactly. Buzz me (09377203000) when you pass the SP Ring road, if I am free, we can do a chai break at Renaisan Chowk.

A friend came from Mumbay 3 days back, road from Goadbandar till Manor is full of pot holes, plan for 30-45 mts more for this section. If you start early from A'bad / Baroda, this bad section would be in day light, so you can watch out for pot holes OK, at night this section would break rims.

Anything specific you want to know around Ahmedabad, let me know.
Yes ramkya1. Will be doing that.
I too have done delhi - baroda in a day couple of times. My target breaks too are Baroda, Satara, Bng. Even Khoj too updated me the same about road condition. Will buzz when crossing Ahmd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Kerala does not need a verdict for a bandh, a Hartal can happen at the drop of a hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanks for the info. Hoping the situation will not get too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
I can help you with this route as I did a Bangalore-Pala trip last month.
Here it goes:

.Bangalore-Salem: Excellent 2 lane road. Moderate traffic. (2 Hours)

.Salem-Dindigul:Excellent 2 lane road. Moderate or no traffic. (2.5 Hours)

.Dindigul-Lower Camp (After Gudalur): Excellent 1 lane road. Moderate traffic (4 Hours)

.Lower Camp-Kanjirapally: Ghat section, many bad stretches. Moderate traffic (2.5 Hours)
Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not just Bangalore, it appears that schools across KA have closed on 1st October - even schools in Manaipal & Mangalore are closed that day, and scheduled exams have been cancelled / postponed.
Yes doc, I brother too confirmed the same from Mangalore.

Last edited by v&v : 29th September 2010 at 21:28.
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:11   #59
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Live update of our trip

Started on 1st Oct Morning drove till Baroda.
Current road condition - Delhi - Baroda -> Over all very good.
1.Bad patch after Behror.
2. Chiloda Circle to Sardar patel ring road - Very Bad.
Over all Summary 14 hrs 1040 Kms.
Fuel Average - 15.5 km/l

2nd October - Baroda - Satara
Roads from Surat till Godbunder Road - Random bad patch. High Traffic.
Pune - Satara - Some Random Pot holes. More in Pune bypass - Overall good road.
Over all summary 700kms / 11.5 hrs
Fuel Average 14.3 km/l

3rd October Satara - Bengaluru
Fantastic Road.
Major Bad Patch Hubli - Davengera - Around 150 kms random. Diversion, Big speed breakers , diversions ect.
Overall summary - 750 kms / 10 hrs
Fuel Average - 15.5 km/l
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:42   #60
BHPian

Quote:
3rd October Satara - Bengaluru
Fantastic Road.
Major Bad Patch Hubli - Davengera - Around 150 kms random. Diversion, Big speed breakers , diversions ect.
Overall summary - 750 kms / 10 hrs
Fuel Average - 15.5 km/l
How many km of bad patches? 150 kms? Or is it 2-3 km stretches of bad patches and innumerable of them?

Btw, where are you now? Overnight at Bangalore or are you proceeding further?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks