Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:15   #16
BHPian

I'm planning a Mumbai->Lonavala->Shirdi->Mumbai round trip. Would anyone advise on the best route. Of course, Mumbai->Lonavala is a no-brainer , but is it better to return towards Mumbai and then take NH-3 for the route to Shirdi, or is there a better route from Lonavala?
Old 13th January 2010, 20:10   #17
BHPian

Help!

Hi ,

I m travelling to shirdi coming saturday. I will be leaving Thane(Mumbai) by evening 5pm. Planning to take usual route to shirdi via Nasik highway and then via Ghoti-Sinnar-Shirdi. Anybody had any update on road condition from Ghoti-Sinnar?? I will be travelling after sunset, any safety issues??

I am also planning to visit Shani Shignapur on Sunday and return back to Thane the same day. Any suggestion for return route?? The usual route is same via Shirdi-Nasik. But I see on google maps that I can reach Ahmednagar from ShaniShignapur and then NH222 till Kalyan. Any updates on road condition on this route? Is this road advisable instead of normal route via Shird-Nasik?

Also there is option of return via Pune. So which route you guys suggest?? Request fast reply since I am leaving on Saturday.

Regards,
viv1984
Old 14th January 2010, 11:02   #18
BHPian

The route via Ghoti to Sinnar is good except for one kilomater once you enter Ghoti from the highway. Also please note that Saturday evening there is a weekly market in Ghoti and the road is fully crowded and you have to really drive very very slow. I did it last month. Otherwise road is good and there is no security issue. Its much better than road via Nasik where you find lot of traffic. Take Ghoti road any day.
Old 15th January 2010, 13:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

In terms of distance saving & time taken,no noticeable difference between the two routes(Ghoti vis-a-vis Nasik).If you are driving a small car,IMO,I would recco the Nasik route as the Ghoti-Sinnar route is pretty bumpy for quite some stretches.I did the Mumba-Shirdi route last month in a M800,while going we took the Sinnar route and on our return took the Nasik route.Time taken was the same,just that roads are better via Nasik compared to the Ghoti bypass.The bypass is not a sensible option after dark.

The other option is via Alephata-Malshej Ghat-Kalyan.Its a scenic route but a very long route as compared to the regular Shirdi-Nasik-Thane route.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:02   #20
BHPian

Thanks!

Thanks Ranjit, Arya and HVK for your guidance

I completed my trip yesterday. While going i took the normal nasik route. The roads till nasik was great, especially from Shahpur till Igatpuri was fully 4-lane. But nighmare started thereafter. Nasik - Sinnar road was also acceptable. But Sinnar - Shirdi road was worst with lot of potholes and driving at night was the nightmare. My car went into almost 3-4 big potholes. I have to get my car suspension checked after this journey. Really cant understand the attitude of this govt; Shirdi is one of the biggest pilgrimage centre in Maharashtra, yet the road towards shirdi looks still like Village road. Will the authorities wake up . Left Thane at 4.30pm and reached Shirdi by 9.30pm including breaks . Distance: 235km

While returning back I went to Shanishignapur and came back via Rahuri-Loni-Sangamner-Sinnar-Ghoti-Igatpuri-Thane avoiding the Sinnar-Shirdi stretch. The roads on return journey was really good. Sinnar-Ghoti route is mix of very good and bad stretches. Left Shanishignapur at 9.30am and reached Thane by 3.30pm including breaks. Distance: 280Km
Old 19th April 2010, 13:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv1984 View Post
Hi ,

Any suggestion for return route?? The usual route is same via Shirdi-Nasik. But I see on google maps that I can reach Ahmednagar from ShaniShignapur and then NH222 till Kalyan. Any updates on road condition on this route? Is this road advisable instead of normal route via Shird-Nasik?

Regards,
viv1984
Hi Viv,

I have the very same query as you. I am also able to see the NH 222 option for Mumbai to Ahmadnagar. I would like to know if you have any dope on that route. Any updates from other members would also be appreciated.

Regards
Old 19th April 2010, 17:40   #22
drustogi

I have done Mumbai-Shridi via 3 routes
1. Via Nasik - Don't use untill and unless you want to go to Panchwati also
2. Via Ghoti - Good Route with places to break the journey for rest or stay. Kasara Ghat has not become very good till Igatpuri. Very Scenic
3. Via Pune - Good and fast route..

Old 19th April 2010, 20:28   #23
BHPian

Hi Dhiresh,

One quick question for you, when you go via Pune, do you use a bypass or go right through Pune city? I would also appreciate any information on NH 222.

Kind regards
Old 20th April 2010, 11:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Shirdi some time back.

The best route I know is as below"

Goregaon(E)-Jogeswari-Vikhroli Link Road-Vashi-Shahapura-Igatpuri-Nashik-Sangamner-Shirdi

Total Kms. from Mumbai-294 Kms.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:11   #25
drustogi

Took a Bypass .. Depended on Local info and Google Maps... The roads are four lane and very Good.....

Also Kasara Ghat has become Now become Good... (By mistake i mentioned NOT instead of NOW in my earlier comment..

Old 27th December 2011, 11:17   #26
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Shirdi : Route Queries

I just returned from Shirdi two days back.

While going I took the Thane - Ghoti - Nashik - Deolali - Sinnar - Shirdi route as it was the recommended one by many travellers. The Nashik - Sinnar road is very busy with lots of traffic particularly trucks on their way to and from Pune. Also there was traffic in Nashik due to flyober construction. Apart from that the roads throughout were very good. The Sinnar Shirdi road is completely new now very smooth like butter. There is a patch of 10 km which has not been patched.

While returning took the Shirdi - Sinnar - Ghoti - Thane route. This is shorted by 12 KMs. But in terms of time it took at least 30 minutes less as the Sinnar - Nashik stretch gets avoided. There is very little traffic and the road is in excellent condition except 5-10 KMs where it is average quality with a speed of 40 KM/hr. On the remaining stretch, one can go at 80-100 Km/hr easily. Also, this road is very picturesque. There are grape farms / vineyards, wind mills, fruit and vegetable farms and vendors and lakes on this route. I loved it. Also it's a winding road, much more interesting than the Ghoti - Nashik road which is boring. I would recommend this route to anyone travelling to Shirdi.
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualaman View Post
While returning took the Shirdi - Sinnar - Ghoti - Thane route. This is shorted by 12 KMs. But in terms of time it took at least 30 minutes less as the Sinnar - Nashik stretch gets avoided. There is very little traffic and the road is in excellent condition except 5-10 KMs where it is average quality with a speed of 40 KM/hr. On the remaining stretch, one can go at 80-100 Km/hr easily. Also, this road is very picturesque. There are grape farms / vineyards, wind mills, fruit and vegetable farms and vendors and lakes on this route. I loved it. Also it's a winding road, much more interesting than the Ghoti - Nashik road which is boring. I would recommend this route to anyone travelling to Shirdi.
Hi Virtualaman, how much time did you take for this return route Shirdi - Sinnar - Ghoti - Thane?
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Hi Virtualaman, how much time did you take for this return route Shirdi - Sinnar - Ghoti - Thane?
Shouldnt take you more than 5 hours at your slowest best.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
It took me five hours with one hour of stoppage time. So if one does not stop anywhere, I would say four hours. By the way, a good (but slightly expensive) place to stop for lunch is Manas Resort at Igatpuri on the main highway. It is around 10 kms on the main highway after you turn left from Ghoti while returning to Mumbai.
Virtualaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 15:14   #30
HWD

Just did Mumbai to Shirdi and return last weekend. Although it was terribly hot, but the drive was pure bliss, thanks to great roads and my Accord AT V6!

- While going i took the Mumbai-Thane-Igatpuri-Goti BP-Sinnar-Shirdi (240kms; ~4 hours with one half an hour stop).

- Return route was Shirdi-Sinnar-Nasik-NH-3-Igatpuri-Mumbai: (265 kms)
Shirdi to Sinnar is bit scratchy due to a narrow road and a huge traffic jam at the Sinnar junction (we got stuck for 45 mins). But Nasik to Mumbai was amazing with very wide roads and absolutely no potholes! (Shirdi to Nasik ~ 2.5 hours; Nasik to Mumbai ~ 3 hours)

Tips:
- Leave early in morning from Mumbai to avoid the heat
- Manas Resort is a great place for a stop, may seem a bit expensive
- You will find a lot of villagers selling fresh grapes, onions around Nasik and Shirdi at dirt cheap rates. Good pick up on your way back.

Appreciate the govt. for making these roads a fun place to drive.

Safe Driving!
HWD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks