Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 18:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Makemytrip reliable for travel?

Guys,

I am planning to book a travel package to Mauritius from makemytrip.com.

is this website reliable? Any reviews for the same? I have a package for 4 nights/5 days including airfare for Rs. 62000 in a 5 star hotel.

Has somebody traveled to any place organized by makemytrip? How organized was the trip? Any shortcomings?

Please advice. Need to book by Monday.

Mods: If there exist a similar thread on makemytrip, please merge. Thanks
Old 1st October 2010, 18:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have booked air tickets through Makemytrip, have had no issues, I would suggest you check hotel names and rates on Makemytrip and then try and talk directly to the hotels concerned, you might get better tariffs.
Old 1st October 2010, 18:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I would suggest you check hotel names and rates on Makemytrip and then try and talk directly to the hotels concerned, you might get better tariffs.
+1. I would agree with this. You will get better tarrifs. Also verify the reviews from tripadvisor or any such websites about those hotels.
Old 1st October 2010, 18:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have booked air tickets through Makemytrip, have had no issues, I would suggest you check hotel names and rates on Makemytrip and then try and talk directly to the hotels concerned, you might get better tariffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
+1. I would agree with this. You will get better tarrifs. Also verify the reviews from tripadvisor or any such websites about those hotels.
Is it possible to get better rates directly?

I mean, i looked on website of Grand Mauritian, they quote around 250 euros per night for a deluxe room.

Similar room by makemytrip is costing Rs 61000 including airfare from Mumbai. I know for sure that airfare is Rs 25k-Rs 30k, so essentially for 4 nights i am paying around Rs. 31k for Grand Mauritian? Is it ok?

SOTC has similar rates for Grand Mauritian which is Rs. 61500. They are charging Rs. 29500 + $ 700 for same stay.

I just concerned about reliability of package. I have family and friends who have gone on SOTC tours and they are satisfied. Thought of looking at makemytrip as they are including some offers like massage and stuff.

I looked for the hotel's review on tripadvisor. Grand Mauritian is a 5 star hotel and has excellent reviews.

Last edited by chevelle : 1st October 2010 at 18:34.
Old 1st October 2010, 18:37   #5
BHPian

One of my friend booked the mauritius trip through makemytrip, it was his honeymoon. He was very happy with entire stuff.
Hearing his such positive review I was tempted too. Overall what I could gather was its worth money spent and no hidden charges.
Just one time meal needs to be bought, which is mentioned in the deal :-)

His review for the hotel too was good. The word he used was 'awesome'. Since he is a very close friend of mine, so I take his review as reliable.

Last edited by mailmishra : 1st October 2010 at 18:43.
Old 1st October 2010, 18:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hotel rates are negotiable IMHO, like rk_sans suggestion above, I always read reviews of hotels abroad and then try and book independantly, there is always a difference between a packaged tour and a trip done on your own, the tour companies obviously get better rates on hotels and fares, but a trip done on your own has it's own pleasure.
Old 1st October 2010, 18:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
One of my friend booked the mauritius trip through makemytrip, it was his honeymoon. He was very happy with entire stuff.
Hearing his such positive review I was tempted too. Overall what I could gather was its worth money spent and no hidden charges.
Just one time meal needs to be bought, which is mentioned in the deal :-)

His review for the hotel too was good. The word he used was 'awesome'. Since he is a very close friend of mine, so I take his review as reliable.
Thanks Mishraji. This is what i was looking for. I was hesitating in going for makemytrip. Seems its good for money spent. Would you be kind enough to share the name of hotel if you know and your friend don't mind sharing? Thanks

Quote:
Hotel rates are negotiable IMHO, like rk_sans suggestion above, I always read reviews of hotels abroad and then try and book independantly, there is always a difference between a packaged tour and a trip done on your own, the tour companies obviously get better rates on hotels and fares, but a trip done on your own has it's own pleasure.
While i may be able to get a good deal for the hotel rate, i would still have to go and buy a separate airline ticket. Also most travel cos include tour, in this case, there is north, south and an island tour. If i am to include those in the package, won't i be spending more if i go on our own?

And since i am in USA, its kinda hard running around for tickets and stuff. If you know what i mean.

Last edited by chevelle : 1st October 2010 at 18:59.
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:28   #8
BHPian

I have lived in Mauritius for 5 years.
These tour packages are absolutely reliable. The hotels or the local tour operator picks you up at the airport and drops you to your hotel.
These packages also include sight seeing in the price. If you plan the trip individually, you'll face the following issues:

1. High hotel room rates
2. No discounted price on Air Mauritius
3. A taxi for the local sightseeing costs a bomb! You could expect to pay anything between 1500 to 2000 MUR (= 3000 INR) per day.

Adding these 3 costs, if done individually will surpass the 61000 you spend on a package.

However packages have their own cons like they just cover the famous tourist destinations. It's no comparison to the places that the locals can show you!

Good luck!
Old 7th July 2011, 13:59   #9
BHPian

An Appeal: MakeMyTrip booking, Cancellation and now Refund vows!

My SIL booked the Bangalore to Detroit Air ticket with MakeMytrip on April 23 2011 (Travel dates 16/06/2011). Booking and getting e-ticket is no issue. However due to delay in visa she needed to cancel her bookings.

She canceled the booking on 12/06/2011 via their toll free number. They took bank details where credit must be made (as original booking made against COD). This is also fine, we got cancellation reference number promising that we will get money gets credited. by 7 days 19/06/2011. As you expect from customer care they even stated that usually we should expect money before itself.

On 17/06/2011 SIL left for USA, asking my wife to collect the funds (as bank detail for refund was my wife’s account).

From then circus/nightmare started from here. We didn't get money on 19th, so my wife makes call again to their customer care via toll free number. Now they guy over phone claimed money has been already credited to our bank. We ask when, he says money got transferred on 13/06/2011. We concur it wasn't the case, the argument goes on. He asks us mail us bank statement of 1 month to confirm! And cuts the call!

Now I get a SOS call from wife all in tears telling make my trip east all the money! I say don't worry and collect all relevant info, call the toll free number.

Well after four to 5 tries I finally get through a executive. Once we make our introduction, I tell he "Following call is made because we are in dispute over transaction, as such following call is recorded and produced as evidence in case of civil case. If you provide any false information you will be held liable.". Then I ask her of refund status. She states, who ever took a call didn't initiate accounting process hence though our booking canceled, refund hasn't been initiated. She now told she will do *high priority* ticket for refund initiation process with accounting team. We should expect the money within 3 days i.e. by 22/06/2012. Gives one more call reference number.

Three days came and went, nothing happened. We are again called the toll free number. Different male CCE(customer care executive) picks up, utter the same nonsense that money is in our bank on 13-Jun itself. We told him that there was updated ticket raised and it wasn't raised. He claims lady was wrong and cuts the call!

We try again; we get another male CCE. As soon as he takes booking reference number and cancellation reference number, they goes silent, and in 30 second he cuts the call. This process repeats more than 4 times on 23rd June. They have decided not to take call! However we still try, we get through to lady. She apologizes raises another ticket and Says within next 7 days we should get our money!

So we again wait, week went and gone. Still no refund. By now we make search in internet. There are enough complaints all over Internet. This is not rare. This is common business model for makemytrip not to return money for long period. Or dodge refund by stating one or the other reasons.

Now I decided to stop calling and write a mail to internationalbooking
s@makemytrip.com stating the facts and how frustrated we were. One Mr. Ajay Chand replies asking 72 more hours! However entire reference number is different!

I reply to him asking why does more time is needed? For this on 1/07/2011 Mr. Kunal Bariya replies they processed and bank rejected the same. I ask him to state RRN number. For which till today we don't have reply. His claim is also fictional, because my wife’s mother works in same bank & branch where my wife’s account exists. She constantly checks the transfer records. She will have access to any rejection happened in NEFT transfer. She states there is no transaction in the name of my wife or her sister!

I contact their Bangalore office who claims he can't help. We are unable to contact their Gurgaon office because we don't have any number except their toll free number. Our calls are repeatedly cut on toll free number. Now we are not getting any response even by mail, except standard reply creating new ticket every time.

I would like to warn members of using MakeMyTrip, if you have slightest doubt about canceling don't bother. Even if book try not to take COD, make payment via credit card. You at least have record that you made payment.

MakeMyTrip is low life cheats/Fraudsters. How do we get our of this situation?

Can members kindly help us.

Thank you.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Appeal: MakeMyTrip booking, Cancellation and now Refund vows!

File a case in consumer court and Send them a legal notice, i do not think you are left with any other option.

My sis also faced a similar issue 2 months back when the AI flight got cancelled because of the recent strike.I had to threaten the customer care executive with a legal notice to get the refund.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Appeal: MakeMyTrip booking, Cancellation and now Refund vows!

If you do not get a satisfactory answer after two tries, always threaten them with issuing a legal notice. It works like a charm.

This is listed as the contact number for Corporate office of Makemytrip. Try calling on this number.
(0124) 4395000.
Old 31st March 2012, 12:27   #12
BHPian

Refunds after Hotel cancellation

I had cancelled a hotel booking on makemytrip and was told that it will be refunded after 7 days. But now after 8 days I am still yet to receive my money.

Anyone who has got their refunds against cancelled hotel bookings?
Old 31st March 2012, 23:51   #13
BHPian

Re: Refunds after Hotel cancellation

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I had cancelled a hotel booking on makemytrip and was told that it will be refunded after 7 days. But now after 8 days I am still yet to receive my money.

Anyone who has got their refunds against cancelled hotel bookings?
Its 7 business days mate.
Old 1st April 2012, 12:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Its 7 business days mate.
Hope so.

But 'Expected Refund Date' is shown as '30-Mar-2012' and it is already 01-Apr, and I still have not received the refund.

(will confirm here after I receive refund).
Old 1st April 2012, 13:02   #15
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Hope so.

But 'Expected Refund Date' is shown as '30-Mar-2012' and it is already 01-Apr, and I still have not received the refund.

(will confirm here after I receive refund).
Generally refunds should happen on time. Its surprising that they have missed the deadline. If it doesn;t happen on the next business day(there might be trouble because of three bank holidays next week) do PM me your hotels booking ID. Why i ask, i have worked with MMT in the past and still have a few friends there who would love to know where is the process gap.

Oh and MMT is not a fraud company by any means. There can be misunderstanding and some disputes no doubt, but not fraud.
I know for a fact that the higher and middle management is working tirelessly to plug all process and technology gaps to give delight to the customer. Ofcourse, the same enthusiasm doesn't always percolate down to the call center person.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks