Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 09:34   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post

Hi Rolling wheels - Did you experience any issues or traffic congestion while crossing AOB?
Not at all. It was quite smooth unlike previous times. However we had to slow down a bit to negotiate the trucks. Am more worried about WB & OR border that I might cross anytime in the next few hours.
Old 29th September 2013, 09:36   #137
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Generally Andhra-Odisha border is not that congested, as there is some parking space created for trucks on both sides of the border. And even if you hit it at a time when there is a bit of heavy traffic, it is an accepted practice for private vehicles/buses/taxis etc to take to the opposite side of the road and pass through.

You can see the following post for info regarding the checkposts at Odisha borders.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3204483
Thanks for the update. According to you, at what time generally we can anticipate heavy traffic at AOB, I was stuck there for a about an hour last year.
Old 29th September 2013, 09:41   #138
BHPian

Quote:

You seem to be a comparatively sedate driver. A year ago, I had done Bhubaneswar-Rajahmundry in 9.5hours, despite having wasted time by going right through Vizag city.

Generally Andhra-Odisha border is not that congested, as there is some parking space created for trucks on both sides of the border. And even if you hit it at a time when there is a bit of heavy traffic, it is an accepted practice for private vehicles/buses/taxis etc to take to the opposite side of the road and pass through.

You can see the following post for info regarding the checkposts at Odisha borders.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3204483
I do not disagree entirely with you Julupani sir. We seldom cross 100 kmph and try to maintain around 80-90 kmph . The above time taken is also in inclusive of slow driving near chilka area due to very heavy rains. Many vehicles came to a halt while we continued slowly onwards.
Old 29th September 2013, 10:49   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update. According to you, at what time generally we can anticipate heavy traffic at AOB, I was stuck there for a about an hour last year.
There is no specific time or anyway to predict when there will be a big jam at the AP-OD border. If at all a jam occurs, its because trucks are taking too long to get their paperwork through at the check posts, or if at one point a lot of trucks come in, or sometimes at lunch time.

The WB-OD border on the other hand, jam is more the standard situation. But one can get lucky and arrive at a time when there is less traffic. Of course if the integrated check post has been opened, then there will be practically zero chance of jam here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
I do not disagree entirely with you Julupani sir. We seldom cross 100 kmph and try to maintain around 80-90 kmph . The above time taken is also in inclusive of slow driving near chilka area due to very heavy rains. Many vehicles came to a halt while we continued slowly onwards.
As expected, you are a more sedate driver. I generally cruise at about 100-110kmph.

And you will most likely see rain today as well.
Old 29th September 2013, 11:43   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The WB-OD border on the other hand, jam is more the standard situation. But one can get lucky and arrive at a time when there is less traffic. Of course if the integrated check post has been opened, then there will be practically zero chance of jam here.
A friend who crossed the WB-OR border in August told me that he encountered no truck pile-up, all trucks were in a separate area. I don't know if that would mean the new post was open, or if he was more fortunate.

I just read http://www.indiamike.com/india/west-...order-t130319/ , does it make sense trying to follow this route through Jaleshwar market bypassing the border ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 29th September 2013 at 11:44.
Old 29th September 2013, 12:24   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
A friend who crossed the WB-OR border in August told me that he encountered no truck pile-up, all trucks were in a separate area. I don't know if that would mean the new post was open, or if he was more fortunate.

I just read http://www.indiamike.com/india/west-...order-t130319/ , does it make sense trying to follow this route through Jaleshwar market bypassing the border ?
Well, I havnt heard about the new checkpost facilities being opened, though that may be the case. Let's wait for concrete info and hopefully pics.

As for trying to go through Jaleswar, its worth it over here. But the road through Jaleshwar town was not in the best shape. I actually prefer the detour shown in the following picture. Though it has the disadvantage of having a railway crossing, its generally traffic free and has smooth road surface.

Name:  t.png
Views: 1168
Size:  76.9 KB
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 21:04   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, we faced lot of issues at WB-OD border due to traffic jam & the entry into Kolkata was made difficult due to very slow moving traffic after the toll gate.

I also wanted check with you, if the 4 laning activity is complete after Bhubaneswar. I remember, there were couple of stretches where we had to travel on the other side of the road due to construction activity last year.
Old 29th September 2013, 21:53   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

We reached Durgapur after a gruelling 14 hours drive for a mere distance of 588. The roads are non existent on one side of NH 60 right from balasore to kharagpur. Traffic was 2 way throughout this stretch. But our ordeal was not really this or the incessant rains which followed us right through to the hotel. We were stuck amidst 5-7 kms long jam on OR - WB border. As fresh roads are being laid out both sides of the truck traffic was piled on to one, and this at a place which is notorious for following no structure. I have crossed this route twice, but it was never this bad. We were stuck for 2 hours straight amongst this mayhem. Feels good to be sitting in my hotel room and typing this ... Phew
Old 29th September 2013, 22:11   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We reached Durgapur after a gruelling 14 hours drive for a mere distance of 588. The roads are non existent on one side of NH 60 right from balasore to kharagpur. Traffic was 2 way throughout this stretch. But our ordeal was not really this or the incessant rains which followed us right through to the hotel. We were stuck amidst 5-7 kms long jam on OR - WB border. As fresh roads are being laid out both sides of the truck traffic was piled on to one, and this at a place which is notorious for following no structure. I have crossed this route twice, but it was never this bad. We were stuck for 2 hours straight amongst this mayhem. Feels good to be sitting in my hotel room and typing this ... Phew
Sorry that you had to face so much delay. But I am happy to hear that the NH60 is being resurfaced. I always felt this was one of the worst road surfaces among the large numbers of NHDP roads that I have experienced.

Thanks to the road works, the usual 2-3kms long jam was elongated even more. But did you by chance notice the progress on the new check posts???
Old 30th September 2013, 05:40   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually prefer the detour shown in the following picture. Though it has the disadvantage of having a railway crossing, its generally traffic free and has smooth road surface.
What are the signages to take the detour off NH60 while coming from Bhubaneswar ? Would it be a left turn towards Jaleswar on the Egra-Solpatta road ?
Old 30th September 2013, 08:33   #146
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry that you had to face so much delay. But I am happy to hear that the NH60 is being resurfaced. I always felt this was one of the worst road surfaces among the large numbers of NHDP roads that I have experienced.

Thanks to the road works, the usual 2-3kms long jam was elongated even more. But did you by chance notice the progress on the new check posts???
Hi julupani sir. The tool booths were ready even when I crossed
Old 30th September 2013, 08:40   #147
BHPian

[quote="RollingWheels;3252074"]

Hi julupani sir. The tool booths were ready even when I crossed this area in 2012 oct. But when I checked with the toll guy he said it will be operational in a months time. I doubt it as the road relaying mite take at least 6 months optimistically so this might take long. Sorry for the previous note. Just hit sent button on a road crater in asansol. Hitting home tonight in Patna. It's still raining constantly though.
Old 30th September 2013, 22:17   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your ordeal but as mentioned in my earlier post I was anticipating this mess. I do remember facing problems with one way at couple of stretches during my trip last year . Hopefully you've a pleasant journey on your return trip.
Old 1st October 2013, 05:48   #149
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your ordeal but as mentioned in my earlier post I was anticipating this mess. I do remember facing problems with one way at couple of stretches during my trip last year . Hopefully you've a pleasant journey on your return trip.
Thanks Reedemer. I hope so too will be posting the details of the journey soon.
Old 1st October 2013, 06:45   #150
Senior - BHPian

Seemandhra strike to continue till Oct 15. Petrol bunks will be closed on Oct 5 and 6, and road blockades will be held on Oct 5.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle5187175.ece

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5185288.ece

Rollingwheels, which hotel did you stay in Rahahmundry and Bhubaneswar ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 1st October 2013 at 06:59.

Most Viewed